Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What are "dead" Lake-town citizens doing in Dale *possible spoilers*
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Arandir
Gondor

Sep 4 2013, 7:05pm

Post #1 of 29 (1726 views)
Shortcut
What are "dead" Lake-town citizens doing in Dale *possible spoilers* Can't Post

After copious amounts of viewing of the latest Vlog, I'm just wondering what are the two individuals (clearly citizens) from Lake-town, doing in the "desolated" Dale?

Image 1
Image 2

What could possibly occur that drives both men and women to the destroyed city? Surely it isn't a flashback as the snow settling on the burnt stonework is clearly visible - and hence during the time the Company passes through Dale.

Could they be fleeing, exiles of sort - after Smaug's attack? The man seems to be carrying a basket with him too ...

For some reason, I keep thinking this is part of the third Film, possibly before the Battle of the Five Armies, which sees a skirmish between the Lake-towners and the Elves against the Goblins/Orcs - hence, why we see Gandalf, Legolas, Tauriel and Thranduil all in Dale (in the Vlog), seemingly fighting (but that could be part of the BOFA itself).

Then again, it still doesn't explain what these citizens are doing so far away from home ...

Plus, I've noticed that, when Luke Evans (at the end of the vlog) explains what happened to him on the first day back on set (and he almost falls in the water), he grabs hold of a man standing there with a basket - he looks very similar to the "dead" guy a few minutes before. There are some subtle differences between the two, but the resemblance is nonetheless uncanny ... (image)

Not sure whether anyone else thought about this whole "Lake-town-people-in-Dale-thing", or whether I'm just not up to speed with things!Laugh

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

Carne
Tol Eressea

Sep 4 2013, 7:45pm

Post #2 of 29 (625 views)
Shortcut
Maybe they take refuge in Dale after Smaug destroys Laketown?// [In reply to] Can't Post

And then prior to the battle some orcs (possibly led by Bolg) attack them?

(This post was edited by Carne on Sep 4 2013, 7:47pm)

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Sep 4 2013, 7:46pm

Post #3 of 29 (644 views)
Shortcut
I dunno... [In reply to] Can't Post

but that first image sure looks a lot like Jonathan Davies (British TV actor) Wink

http://images2.fanpop.com/...81473652207_full.jpg

Seriously, if it's not part of the Bo5A then I can only guess it might possibly be something to do with Azog's Orcs that have followed the Dwarves to Laketown...

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Ż Victoria Monfort

Arandir
Gondor

Sep 4 2013, 7:57pm

Post #4 of 29 (605 views)
Shortcut
Haha! A spot of Jonathan Creek in TABA perhaps? [In reply to] Can't Post

Re: citizens, it still doesn't explain how Lake-Town villagers ended up in Dale ... Crazy - there's probably a very simple reasoning behind all this Laugh

Arandir
Gondor

Sep 4 2013, 7:59pm

Post #5 of 29 (604 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

that was a thought actually ... it seems to be one of the very few (or only) plausible explanation.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Sep 4 2013, 7:59pm

Post #6 of 29 (585 views)
Shortcut
Oh bother! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I meant Alan Davies (who played Jonathan Creek) Laugh

(Mixing up names is nothing new for me, what with having 4 kids!)

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Ż Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Sep 4 2013, 8:01pm)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Sep 4 2013, 8:05pm

Post #7 of 29 (558 views)
Shortcut
Maybe Stephen Fry got him a part. haha // [In reply to] Can't Post

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Sep 4 2013, 8:06pm

Post #8 of 29 (615 views)
Shortcut
Lying around frozen by the look of it... [In reply to] Can't Post

Couldn't resist, sorry Blush

Long Hammer
The Shire

Sep 4 2013, 8:41pm

Post #9 of 29 (553 views)
Shortcut
are we sure [In reply to] Can't Post

this is even Dale. I just see snow, which would mean this is probably in present time, but other that that what makes us sure it's Dale

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Sep 4 2013, 9:11pm

Post #10 of 29 (532 views)
Shortcut
Militia? [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe the Lake Town army features a militia contingent, normal people joining the fight rather than just soldiers. Some have theorized that part of the Bo5A will take part in the ruins of Dale and these people could be the causalities.

Yes, my username is terrible.

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 4 2013, 9:24pm

Post #11 of 29 (533 views)
Shortcut
I'd suppose... [In reply to] Can't Post

...they're minions of the Master who were tailing the Dwarves to The Lonely Mountain and got ambushed by goblins.

“That hobbit has a pleasant face,
His private life is a disgrace.
I really could not tell to you,
The awful things that hobbits do.”

Luinnár
Rivendell

Sep 5 2013, 1:46am

Post #12 of 29 (414 views)
Shortcut
It could possibly be "the woodsmen". [In reply to] Can't Post

deskp
Lorien

Sep 5 2013, 10:01am

Post #13 of 29 (340 views)
Shortcut
sure [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure dale will be part of the bo5a, and it would seem natural for the laketowners to set up shop in dale when laketown is destroyed. I mean it's a whole city worrth of shelter and no dragon to threaten the town.

It also makes the battle more interesting when it involves more than jsut landscape!.

Arandir
Gondor

Sep 5 2013, 5:48pm

Post #14 of 29 (247 views)
Shortcut
Sublime analysis! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Arandir
Gondor

Sep 5 2013, 5:49pm

Post #15 of 29 (252 views)
Shortcut
This seems quite plausible ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought so too that the idea of being exiled towards Dale would make some sense - then again, would they risk bringing their people so close to a looming battle?Unimpressed

Arandir
Gondor

Sep 5 2013, 5:51pm

Post #16 of 29 (246 views)
Shortcut
I always took it for granted [In reply to] Can't Post

It always seemed like the only and natural place to be - furthermore, when Evangeline Lilly is talking about the desolation in Dale, we get glimpses of the ruined city with these two shots following soon after.

Then again, you can never be sure I guessSmile

Arandir
Gondor

Sep 5 2013, 5:59pm

Post #17 of 29 (235 views)
Shortcut
Probably ... but [In reply to] Can't Post

with women too? I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm all in-favour of the two genders fighting for their people, but it seems like they're too "citizen-like", with baskets and all to actually be some sort of fighting force Unsure

Arandir
Gondor

Sep 5 2013, 6:03pm

Post #18 of 29 (241 views)
Shortcut
Minions? [In reply to] Can't Post

As in ...

Laugh

deskp
Lorien

Sep 5 2013, 6:10pm

Post #19 of 29 (244 views)
Shortcut
cause [In reply to] Can't Post

They have no other place to go, and it's not like the battle is planned since the moment laketown is ruined.

Patty
Immortal

Sep 6 2013, 7:29am

Post #20 of 29 (163 views)
Shortcut
But that would leave nobody working on the Q.I. set! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Permanent address: Into the West

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Sep 6 2013, 1:15pm

Post #21 of 29 (152 views)
Shortcut
Camp followers? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
with women too? I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm all in-favour of the two genders fighting for their people, but it seems like they're too "citizen-like", with baskets and all to actually be some sort of fighting force Unsure

Armies tend to have camp followers, not just prostitutes but anything from black-market dealers to blacksmiths and washer-women.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Arandir
Gondor

Sep 6 2013, 3:43pm

Post #22 of 29 (131 views)
Shortcut
That seems possible ... [In reply to] Can't Post

it's all pretty much speculation for now! Crazy

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 6 2013, 5:55pm

Post #23 of 29 (129 views)
Shortcut
The other thing that suggests Dale might be part of the battle... [In reply to] Can't Post

In that same v-log they show 'the armoury of Dale' - racks of swords which all look very dusty and cobwebby, as if they've been untouched a long time. I wouldn't be surprised if someone doesn't get those out - after all, the army of men Bard leads must have lost most if not all of their weapons when they lost Laketown.

I can't think they would bother to design and build an armoury unless someone's going to use it.

Arandir
Gondor

Sep 6 2013, 6:59pm

Post #24 of 29 (120 views)
Shortcut
Ra Vincent stated ... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's interesting that you mention the Dale Armoury dormouse as that particular Vlog has yet another interesting note.

Ra Vincent states that for "Film 2", they created all those prop weapons "specific for that one scene" - I wonder which scene that is, and how it fits in Film 2 ...

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 6 2013, 7:07pm

Post #25 of 29 (117 views)
Shortcut
Well, we have gotten hints [In reply to] Can't Post

that the dwarves will fight back when Smaug attacks before heading off to Laketown, and there will be some sort of artillery involved. Perhaps they pick up some extra firepower in Dale on their way to the Secret Door?

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.