Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Will MGM correct its mistake, with that senseless lion roar over Shore's music?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

xxxyyy
Rohan

Sep 4 2013, 4:57pm

Post #1 of 34 (1100 views)
Shortcut
Will MGM correct its mistake, with that senseless lion roar over Shore's music? Can't Post

I was just looking/listening to the beginning of Star Trek Into Darkness... beautiful music...
Paramaunt picture with its stars comes up, no sound; Skydance productions too, no sound;
last, Bad Robot, again no sound, just the music from the film and some ambient sounds, from the film too.
Now, it goes without saying that Shore's music is on another level.
So why do we have to endure that stupid lion roar?
I might be a little obbsessed with it (really?), but it's as if someone is tainting something beautiful and I just can't stand it.
I know petitions are worthless so I guess I'll just have to keep complaining here.
Sorry guys, together with that horrid lion you'll have to withstand my mental illness too...

http://energyfromthorium.com/

burgahobbit
Rohan

Sep 4 2013, 5:27pm

Post #2 of 34 (555 views)
Shortcut
I doubt it [In reply to] Can't Post

But you never know, it could be changed on the EE. Maybe they'll at least realize it should be cut when cutting DOS. Smile

"I don't mean to be blunt but I felt I had to speak my mind, I'm sorry." - Bilbo Baggins.
"Apology accepted." - Balin.

Faleel
Rohan

Sep 4 2013, 5:32pm

Post #3 of 34 (553 views)
Shortcut
Uh [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't mind the Lion, in fact, I would not be surprised if Shore wrote his music, to incorporate the roar, as one would other SFX, a speech (like Star Trek etc.) or a song.

Welsh hero
Gondor

Sep 4 2013, 5:56pm

Post #4 of 34 (558 views)
Shortcut
MGM's Lion roar is iconic [In reply to] Can't Post

so iconic I can't imagine an MGM film that doesn't have it

It'll be like the Star Wars film with out the fox intro

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Sep 4 2013, 7:14pm

Post #5 of 34 (488 views)
Shortcut
Hope PJ corrects his mistake too [In reply to] Can't Post

Hopefully PJ will correct his mistake and remove all of the intrusive dialogue and sound effects throughout that made it difficult to hear the soundtrack. Why can't we just go back to the silent era and just have speech cards come up between shots?

(No, the lion roar is fine as it is)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Sep 4 2013, 7:16pm

Post #6 of 34 (472 views)
Shortcut
I agree, and i like the MGM lion, so it should be there. [In reply to] Can't Post

However, it should be before the music starts, and not during. It kind of ruins the intro that we've all come to know and love with the previous trilogy.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Sep 4 2013, 7:58pm

Post #7 of 34 (439 views)
Shortcut
Paramount's Erebor with stars often is soundless. The MGM Lion? Never. He always roars, [In reply to] Can't Post

And while I might prefer them starting the music just after the roar, so as not to cover it, I don't want the roar or the lion gone. I have to say, having the MGM and WARNER logos added did something, for me at least and for some others, with the movie.. . it brought the Classic story of The Hobbit (if very loosely interpreted in places) in as a film under the classic labels and icons associated with classic genre films from the time of The Wizard of Oz to that of The Neverending Story, to that of a certain wizard from earth at a wizarding school. I don't mind the logos. That is ingrained as part of what going to the movies featured. And these are the classic logos. Seeing them was once a Pavlovian whistle. "Engaging movie ahead." I like the nostalgia. And I don't begrudge the old lion doing what he does. Still, I will meet you on letting his roar be an opening for the score, rather than rumbling over it.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Sep 4 2013, 8:01pm

Post #8 of 34 (427 views)
Shortcut
I noticed in older films, the lion is different [In reply to] Can't Post

But in new films he's always the same. I think they should update their lion, because the old one is looking out-of-date, especially when they attempt to zoom out of his eye via digital zooming -.- Looked terrible in my opinion.

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 4 2013, 8:03pm

Post #9 of 34 (428 views)
Shortcut
This. [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't know why... but I love how the WB logo shows up and falls apart creating the New Line logo... the music somehow fits and totally got my spirits floating towards Middle-earth the first time I watched the movie.

ďA dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of menís imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.Ē J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Faleel
Rohan

Sep 4 2013, 8:04pm

Post #10 of 34 (412 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, would not want it to cover your precious held note. ;)

xxxyyy
Rohan

Sep 4 2013, 10:02pm

Post #11 of 34 (392 views)
Shortcut
I'm not asking to remove it, just move it a little back, before the movie starts. [In reply to] Can't Post

A nice roar and THEN the music/movie starts.
Not the roar over the music.
Does it take a rocket scientist to understand something so simple?

And the FOX thing in Star Wars it starts before the music.
Imagine the FOX music over the intro of Star Wars... yeah, that would be good... and that's what we have in the Hobbit.

(This post was edited by xxxyyy on Sep 4 2013, 10:06pm)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Sep 4 2013, 10:10pm

Post #12 of 34 (391 views)
Shortcut
But the music is written FOR the logos [In reply to] Can't Post

You'd rather have silent logos than music roared over?

It's odd that you blame MGM, when it was Shore who wrote the music to be played over the logos Crazy

xxxyyy
Rohan

Sep 4 2013, 10:11pm

Post #13 of 34 (378 views)
Shortcut
Consider yourself lucky... [In reply to] Can't Post

and hope it fits also in the next 2 movies, because I have the suspect we are going to get the annoying lion roaring over Shore's music again, and again.

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 4 2013, 10:13pm

Post #14 of 34 (373 views)
Shortcut
not annoying to me at all [In reply to] Can't Post

And I could see the music to be the same for all three movies.

ďA dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of menís imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.Ē J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

xxxyyy
Rohan

Sep 4 2013, 11:48pm

Post #15 of 34 (340 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... Shore wrote the music just for the logo... I believe you. // [In reply to] Can't Post

I just imagine him, sitting down in his studio, reading Tolkien and trying to envision MIddle Earth, trying to write the first notes, the first fundamental notes needed to bring you back in beloved fantastic magic filled world...and then suddenly stop doing that to write a music for, let's finally say it, the principal character in Tolkien's universe, the lion.
Yeah...

xxxyyy
Rohan

Sep 4 2013, 11:50pm

Post #16 of 34 (352 views)
Shortcut
That would be a bit lame... is it the same with LOTR? [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't check right now...

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 4 2013, 11:54pm

Post #17 of 34 (346 views)
Shortcut
yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

And as far as I am concerned it is quite iconic ;)

xxxyyy
Rohan

Sep 5 2013, 12:04am

Post #18 of 34 (331 views)
Shortcut
Sure, it is iconic because it's just the music, not associated to a lion. [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's say the sound instead of a roar was a... fart... well, that could be a trademark of a company...
The point is, the lion roaring isn't a part of Middle Earth.
The image of it, I'm not concerned with, because there is no image yet from the movie, so there is no, let's say... interference.
But the sound, covering Shore's music, I just cannot accept it. For me, I repeat it, it's just disrespectful.

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 5 2013, 12:09am

Post #19 of 34 (334 views)
Shortcut
okay, I see. [In reply to] Can't Post

But have to emphasize that it worked very well for me to get both a movie, cinema and middle-earth vipe ;)

xxxyyy
Rohan

Sep 5 2013, 12:23am

Post #20 of 34 (326 views)
Shortcut
Would have been for me... no logos at all... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm all for full suspention of disbelief.
But with New Line I could have just close my eyes and begin the journey... not that I did that, logos are not that annoying, but I give it a thought about editing that part, blanking out the logos.
Now with Hobbit, if I close my eyes, it seems I'm in a freaking jungle...

marillaraina
Rohan

Sep 5 2013, 2:30am

Post #21 of 34 (322 views)
Shortcut
ermm... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I was just looking/listening to the beginning of Star Trek Into Darkness... beautiful music...
Paramaunt picture with its stars comes up, no sound; Skydance productions too, no sound;
last, Bad Robot, again no sound, just the music from the film and some ambient sounds, from the film too.
Now, it goes without saying that Shore's music is on another level.
So why do we have to endure that stupid lion roar?
I might be a little obbsessed with it (really?), but it's as if someone is tainting something beautiful and I just can't stand it.
I know petitions are worthless so I guess I'll just have to keep complaining here.
Sorry guys, together with that horrid lion you'll have to withstand my mental illness too...

The MGM Lion's and it's roar is one of the most iconic logos in film. MGM lions' have been roaring since 1928. There's nothing wrong with the roar. :)

To be honest it never bothered me, I don't have an issue having the roar and the music together. I never even noticed any clashing.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Sep 5 2013, 5:34am

Post #22 of 34 (278 views)
Shortcut
:) [In reply to] Can't Post

SmileAgreed. It helped me get into the proper mood for transportation. In an instant, I was reminded of all the wonderful films I have seen with those logos in front of them, and I took a thrill in knowing I was about to watch something that, for me, would propbably surpass all those others. And I like the connectivity. The studios that brought Oz and Potter and Atreyu and Falkor and many other wonderous things to life, is now part of the live action film incarnation of The Hobbit.

In Reply To
Don't know why... but I love how the WB logo shows up and falls apart creating the New Line logo... the music somehow fits and totally got my spirits floating towards Middle-earth the first time I watched the movie.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Sep 5 2013, 5:36am

Post #23 of 34 (305 views)
Shortcut
The roaring lion is very Iconic. Over 80 years of it. [In reply to] Can't Post

As long as he isn't roaring in the film (though they were familiar enough with lions,even in those times lol). I do agree, they could let the roar proceed the music. But the lion and the roar are fine otherwise.

In Reply To
Let's say the sound instead of a roar was a... fart... well, that could be a trademark of a company...
The point is, the lion roaring isn't a part of Middle Earth.
The image of it, I'm not concerned with, because there is no image yet from the movie, so there is no, let's say... interference.
But the sound, covering Shore's music, I just cannot accept it. For me, I repeat it, it's just disrespectful.

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Sep 5 2013, 6:23am

Post #24 of 34 (279 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing wrong with the roar, nothing wrong with the music, but there's something wrong with the music AND the roar together...

Vocalist in the progressive metal band 5 Minutes Late
and the progressive doom rock band Mater Thallium

Shagrat
Gondor

Sep 5 2013, 8:12am

Post #25 of 34 (260 views)
Shortcut
Of course he took it into account [In reply to] Can't Post

Have you not noticed how his music syncs PERFECTLY with the first minute of the film? Well that's because he knew exactly what he was scoring, as in Warner logo, New Line logo, MGM Logo, and so forth. These are practicalities he must work around. Of course he took the MGM lion into account when writing that piece of music. There's a reason there's almost a lull in the music at that point.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.