Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
AUJ SEE: Spanish box design (very close to LOTR SEE)!

TheHutt
Gondor

Sep 4 2013, 10:05am

Post #1 of 22 (1293 views)
Shortcut
AUJ SEE: Spanish box design (very close to LOTR SEE)! Can't Post

Heya,

There was already a UK DVD design for TH:AUJ SEE which was real close to the LOTR SEE DVD designs (see thread). However, as for BluRays, only the Japanese Blu has been announced in this package style.
Now, as I just found out, the people of Spain will get both the 2D BluRay version and the 3D BluRay version in the same design!

2D BluRay 23,80 EUR:

3D BluRay: 32,03 EUR:

And I still wonder: why could they not make one single box design instead of twenty?

Russian LOTR & Hobbit Site: Henneth-Annun.ru

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 4 2013, 10:32am

Post #2 of 22 (626 views)
Shortcut
*Sigh*... yes [In reply to] Can't Post

that really IS the question!

And I still wonder: why could they not make one single box design instead of twenty?

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 4 2013, 11:46am

Post #3 of 22 (532 views)
Shortcut
They should have [In reply to] Can't Post

Just used this design and forgot the rest IMO.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 4 2013, 11:49am

Post #4 of 22 (512 views)
Shortcut
I wonder why the spine is in English? / [In reply to] Can't Post

TheHutt
Gondor

Sep 4 2013, 12:20pm

Post #5 of 22 (493 views)
Shortcut
Sharp eyes! [In reply to] Can't Post

:)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Sep 4 2013, 12:50pm

Post #6 of 22 (480 views)
Shortcut
It's Apple vs Android! [In reply to] Can't Post

Apple offers a single phone design to consumers, providing consistent quality to ALL customers. = One DVD case to rule them all

Android is available on multiple phones with different designs, each tailored to suit ANY consumer. = Different DVD cases attract different customers with different needs.

While the iPhone may outsell almost all Android phones in individual sales, the overall numbers for Android are much higher, simply because there are so many different designs.

WB knows very well that the more designs you have the more money is made, especially if there are limited and special edition versions. $

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Sep 4 2013, 1:16pm

Post #7 of 22 (460 views)
Shortcut
Desperate to find out what the disc menus look like // [In reply to] Can't Post

burgahobbit
Rohan

Sep 4 2013, 5:26pm

Post #8 of 22 (385 views)
Shortcut
Exact or nothing for me [In reply to] Can't Post

Unless it looks exactly like the LOTR sets, and in such a way becomes another piece of that collection, I'd rather choose the best looking "new stlye", which although it is less similar to the LOTR ones then most of these others (Spanish, English, Japanese), I would choose the American dvd edition (company on the Carrock). It is in my humble opinion, the best looking set out there. To each his own though, and if you like this one great! But I personally don't care for this whole acorn tree style edition. If it looked like the red book of Westmarch, now then I would be tempted. Smile

"I don't mean to be blunt but I felt I had to speak my mind, I'm sorry." - Bilbo Baggins.
"Apology accepted." - Balin.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Sep 4 2013, 7:55pm

Post #9 of 22 (337 views)
Shortcut
Well, I bought all the Weta collector's gift sets for LotR... [In reply to] Can't Post

and so far it doesn't look like we in the UK are even going to get a sniff of the one they are selling in the US, Germany and France. So I really don't feel like giving WB any of my money for something less than what I really want. Mad

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Sep 4 2013, 7:58pm

Post #10 of 22 (334 views)
Shortcut
I call for an illegal download boycott! [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay maybe not Tongue But I'm in the UK too and I agree, I feel cheated.

TheHutt
Gondor

Sep 4 2013, 10:10pm

Post #11 of 22 (308 views)
Shortcut
I think... [In reply to] Can't Post

Warner's way of thinking is "Hey, the disc is region-free, the UK people can just import from the USA".

Glorfindela
Valinor

Sep 4 2013, 10:54pm

Post #12 of 22 (294 views)
Shortcut
But the American edition is NOT region free. [In reply to] Can't Post

It is for the US and Canada only, so would not be playable in the UK.

(I'm talking about the one that appears to have the foldout sketches inside and is most like the LOTR EEs, but with the Carrock picture on the front of the box.)

Really, if this is not produced in the UK, it will be very annoying. Going by the figures for attendance of AUJ, the market for the films is big in the UK, so it is not a good idea for Warner Bros. to shortchange this market.

Mooseboy018
Gondor

Sep 4 2013, 11:42pm

Post #13 of 22 (283 views)
Shortcut
Speaking of menus... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been meaning to ask this for a while. I bought the Lord of the Rings extended edition on blu-ray last year, and I was really disappointed by what they did to the menus. It starts off like the dvd version, but instead of actually opening up the book to show the chapters, it just adds an ugly pop-up menu at the bottom of the screen for the the scene selection.

Is that how it looks on every blu-ray version, or is that just on the version I bought that only came with just the movies and no bonus discs?

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Sep 4 2013, 11:45pm)

Nunilo
Bree

Sep 4 2013, 11:50pm

Post #14 of 22 (272 views)
Shortcut
It's the same, I think [In reply to] Can't Post

Mine is the same and I have the one with bonus discs etc. I've noticed this pop-up format on quite a few other blu-rays as well, so it's not just for LOTR. It's faster to navigate, but definitely not as nice as the opening book!

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Sep 5 2013, 6:21am

Post #15 of 22 (236 views)
Shortcut
No, the discs in the Weta gift set are apparently Region A [In reply to] Can't Post

from all I read in the comments on Amazon.com. I have a friend in the States willing to purchase it for me but I've had to turn him down because the discs are no use to me... Frown

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

TheHutt
Gondor

Sep 5 2013, 8:27am

Post #16 of 22 (265 views)
Shortcut
It is region-free [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It is for the US and Canada only, so would not be playable in the UK.

Warner never locks their BluRay releases. (Except they own the rights in one country only, like Warner Germany with "Cloud Atlas" or "Rambo")

TheHutt
Gondor

Sep 5 2013, 8:28am

Post #17 of 22 (223 views)
Shortcut
Amazon is the last reliable source you should use [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
from all I read in the comments on Amazon.com. I have a friend in the States willing to purchase it for me but I've had to turn him down because the discs are no use to me... Frown

In terms of BluRay: if Warner releases a BluRay in the USA, it's region free. Period. :)

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Sep 5 2013, 9:05am

Post #18 of 22 (210 views)
Shortcut
Okay... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll ask my friend to try and check before ordering then...it's a fair bit of money to squander, otherwise! Unsure

Victoria Monfort

Glorfindela
Valinor

Sep 5 2013, 9:06am

Post #19 of 22 (204 views)
Shortcut
That would be good if it were definitely true [In reply to] Can't Post

But I think I will wait and see if it is confirmed by either Warner or someone in the UK who has purchased the US disks. I don't want to end up with non-playable US DVDs, something that has happened to me in the past!

Thanks for the info.

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 5 2013, 11:30am

Post #20 of 22 (198 views)
Shortcut
I think you're talking about two different things.... [In reply to] Can't Post

TheHutt and Eleniel are talking about the Extended Edition Gift Set with the Weta Statue. That's Blu-Ray and so, according to The Hutt, region free.

But if you mean the DVD Extended Edition with the lovely fold-out cover, that's DVD, so if it's available in US only then presumably it's Region 1 and it wouldn't work in the UK. I'm hoping the UK version might have the same artwork and it's just that they haven't told us yet - they really seem to think we're not worth the bother!

Glorfindela
Valinor

Sep 5 2013, 12:01pm

Post #21 of 22 (182 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that was exactly what I was talking about, Dormouse! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't really want the statue. The edition I mentioned above is the one showing the Dwarves and Bilbo on the Carrock. I'm really only interested in getting a version that (internally) is as close as possible to the beautifully designed EEs for LOTR (I don't mind the picture on the front of the DVD case in the US edition).

I'm not interested in the statues and didn't buy them with the LOTR EEs. I have two big shelves (plus more in an understairs cupboard) full of small international LOTR collectibles of a specific type, and have no room for statues.

burgahobbit
Rohan

Sep 5 2013, 5:11pm

Post #22 of 22 (168 views)
Shortcut
It would be dumb if they didn't have the fold-out cover [In reply to] Can't Post

For editions outside of the US, but you never know with WB. That's what people like isn't it? Tongue I'm hoping for all of your sakes that the fold up case is included!

"I've found it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk, that keeps the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because Im afraid, and he gives me courage. - Gandalf the Grey.

"Do not be afraid Mithrandir, if ever you should need my help, I will come." - Lady Galadriel.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.