Thoughts on an organized Hobbit movie discussion
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 4 2013, 4:52am

Post #1 of 30 (623 views)
Shortcut
Thoughts on an organized Hobbit movie discussion Can't Post

Just a thought that crossed my mind today.

I seem to remember another poster recently mentioning that, in TORn's Elder Days, movie discussion threads--similar to RR chapter-by-chapter discussions--took place in between LOTR films. Am I misremembering, or is that correct?

If that was the case (or maybe even if not), I was wanting to throw around the idea for a possible organized discussion in the lead-up to DOS. Whether it be before/after the EE is a topic to discuss, but I thought it would be worthwhile to receive feedback on the idea.

I know that a lot of posts on the Hobbit forum are speculation-driven, and that some people come here for news just as much as good ole discussion. But it seems like there's been a notable absence of actual discussion of the motion picture itself. This, of course, isn't my primary motivating factor for this query. Rather, I thought it would be a great way to pass the time in between films while having some great analysis sprinkled in between.

Format is obviously a thing to be discussed, too.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, be they in favor or against.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 4 2013, 4:55am

Post #2 of 30 (528 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that is indeed correct. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just as for the Reading Room discussions of the book, someone would take it upon themselves to organise chapter by chapter discussions of the movie on DVD. I don't think it matters if it's the theatrical version or the EE - in fact, the theatrical would probably be better as there won't be much time between the EE's release and then a whole new avalanche of discussion threads when the DOS film opens.

Feel free to be the instigator, cats. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 4 2013, 5:48am

Post #3 of 30 (520 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for clarifying, Ataahua! [In reply to] Can't Post

Good point on the downside of doing the EE. We'd be on page 5 before the post is submitted!

I'd love to instigate.EvilWink

Although some co-conspirators would be lovely, too. Any takers out there?

(This post was edited by cats16 on Sep 4 2013, 5:49am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 4 2013, 7:46am

Post #4 of 30 (509 views)
Shortcut
*Submits CV* [In reply to] Can't Post

Will work long, unsociable hours; and for minimum wage. No annual leave required, nor any sick leave. Toilet breaks are a bonus, so feel free to remove them too. I Cannot guarantee the talking purse will or will not enter any discussions, and any posts of mine are likely to contain spelling and grammar mistakes. I only accept monkey nuts as payment. Thank you for you consideration.

Wink

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 4 2013, 7:55am

Post #5 of 30 (502 views)
Shortcut
Please line up here >>>>>>> [In reply to] Can't Post

for the next phase of your interview: psychological testing, to be conducted by our HR manager, Mr T. Purse.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Sep 4 2013, 10:25am

Post #6 of 30 (495 views)
Shortcut
*blinks* [In reply to] Can't Post

I only accept monkey nuts as payment

Dare I ask?

LaughAngelicEvil

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 4 2013, 10:30am

Post #7 of 30 (494 views)
Shortcut
*Thwack* [In reply to] Can't Post

Do not go there! Laugh
Cannot...remove....bad...pictures....from........mind.....

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Sep 4 2013, 10:37am

Post #8 of 30 (487 views)
Shortcut
Heeheehee [In reply to] Can't Post

my job is done CoolLaugh

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 4 2013, 10:48am

Post #9 of 30 (495 views)
Shortcut
Oh dear lord! [In reply to] Can't Post

Blush

Thank god I didn't put "Roasted monkey nuts are my favourite". Wink The filth on these baords!

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 4 2013, 12:39pm

Post #10 of 30 (480 views)
Shortcut
*reviews terms* [In reply to] Can't Post

By gosh I think you've got the job!

Monkey nuts hmm...I might need to head to the currency exchange for that.

Awesome!! I'll PM you later today and maybe we can shoot around some ideas. If that works?

CuriousG
Half-elven

Sep 4 2013, 12:44pm

Post #11 of 30 (479 views)
Shortcut
Filth [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought we came to Feedback to *report* on obscenities, not create them. ;)

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Sep 4 2013, 1:33pm

Post #12 of 30 (494 views)
Shortcut
So.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Would we be watching it at the same time, like the LotR marathon, or watching one chapter at a time, on our own time?

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 4 2013, 4:19pm

Post #13 of 30 (466 views)
Shortcut
I was thinking... [In reply to] Can't Post

the latter of the two you listed.

Altaira
Superuser

Sep 4 2013, 5:12pm

Post #14 of 30 (470 views)
Shortcut
Not so much the Eldar Days [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR movie discussions are ongoing on the LOTR movie board, like here. They've use screen caps as long as I can remember. Just another option

Good luck, and great idea!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 4 2013, 7:07pm

Post #15 of 30 (479 views)
Shortcut
One way to do it [In reply to] Can't Post

is to post a sign-up thread on Movie: Hobbit. Have a list of the chapters available and ask people to pick which chapter discussions they'd like to lead.

Reposting TORN 201's image guidelines in that thread would be helpful too!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 4 2013, 8:08pm

Post #16 of 30 (436 views)
Shortcut
Very good advice. Thank you! // [In reply to] Can't Post

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 4 2013, 8:10pm

Post #17 of 30 (448 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Altaira! [In reply to] Can't Post

Good point with SCOD. Possibly a template to start from!

Kim
Valinor

Sep 4 2013, 11:48pm

Post #18 of 30 (453 views)
Shortcut
Hi cats16 [In reply to] Can't Post

I think this is a great idea and look forward to participating in the discussions with you, DanielLB and his monkey nu...wait, what? And I'll try really hard to include some comments on a topic other than Thorin. Laugh

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 4 2013, 11:54pm

Post #19 of 30 (437 views)
Shortcut
hmmm...wait...what was that? Thorin? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think this is a great idea and look forward to participating in the discussions with you, DanielLB and his monkey nu...wait, what? And I'll try really hard to include some comments on a topic other than Thorin. Laugh

Its that avatar Kim. So distracting. WinkEvil

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 5 2013, 12:20am

Post #20 of 30 (435 views)
Shortcut
Radagast: I'd like to see you try [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Great to hear your interest!! Details should be coming soon.

Instead of frame-by-frame analysis, should we be expecting a hair-by-hair play-by-play for Thorin? (Yikes! Too many hyphens for one sentence.Crazy)

Although I believe you would have some co-commentators for that in this room...*looks up at Brethil* TongueCoolAngelic

(This post was edited by cats16 on Sep 5 2013, 12:22am)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 5 2013, 2:11am

Post #21 of 30 (410 views)
Shortcut
I'm looking forward to it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think an AUJ SCOD will be lots of fun. I think it'll be just a different type of discussion that will be really unique and enjoyable. Can't wait until it happens Smile

'Twas in the Land of Willows that I heard th'unfathomed breath
Of the Horns of Ylmir calling - and shall hear them till my death.

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 5 2013, 2:19am

Post #22 of 30 (407 views)
Shortcut
A nice change of pace, no? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm eager to hear everyone's thoughts.

Is AUJ sitting anywhere different in your mind now? Or is it about the same? Hadn't seen you post much in there lately, so I'm just curious.

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 5 2013, 2:32am

Post #23 of 30 (406 views)
Shortcut
(*waves back, not even having the grace to blush anymore*) Hullo Cats! [In reply to] Can't Post

BTW I think its a super fun idea! SmileSmileSmile Count me in!

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 5 2013, 2:34am

Post #24 of 30 (393 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! Can't wait!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 5 2013, 3:10am

Post #25 of 30 (412 views)
Shortcut
It will be a great change of pace. [In reply to] Can't Post

It'll definitely be nice to talk specific scenes and images. I know there will be all kinds of views, but I hope it doesn't decay into another "lovers vs haters" thing.

Well, I've still only seen it twice: first on opening night and then again back in June. I believe my original evaluation of it ended up being a 3/10, and the second viewing bumped it up to a 6/10. Due to a great many things in it that I absolutely do not agree with, I don't think it'll ever surpass a 6/10 rating. (That's only for the theatrical edition, though. The EE could bring it up if it's excellent, though it will still have the things I don't like, and frankly, the reports of the EE are equal parts good and bad for me. I think it'll remain about a 6/10, if I had to guess.) The sad thing is that I haven't even had the desire to rewatch the film lately at all. I wish it weren't so, but whatever. I still love the Good Morning scene and the Unexpected Party, but I don't think the rest of the film reaches the same levels of brilliance (not even Riddles).

Well, I've been gone from home for the past 7 or 8 days, so I haven't even been around much until yesterday anyway. But on top of that, the Hobbit board just isn't really my comfort zone anymore. I still read much of it, but I prefer not to jump into it as much. I presume, though, that the AUJ SCOD will be there, and I'll definitely jump into that.

'Twas in the Land of Willows that I heard th'unfathomed breath
Of the Horns of Ylmir calling - and shall hear them till my death.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.