Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Bilbo Looking At Narsil

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Sep 3 2013, 11:42pm

Post #1 of 19 (1050 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo Looking At Narsil Can't Post

I was thinking about The Extended Edition of An Unexpected Journey and I started thinking about the scene of Bilbo with the Shards Of Narsil and how it ties into the scene with Elrond and Bilbo on the balcony and also I was hoping that maybe they could add a verse or two from the Riddle of Strider in there any additional Tolkien quotes the better lol, but it's just wishful thinking but still here's what I was thinking

INT: RIVENDELL- ELROND'S LIBRARY - SUNSET
The light of days is failing in the room Bilbo Baggins slowly walks across the quiet room and up a flight of stairs, he is drawn to an object being held in the arms of a statue: a broken sword lying in 5 peices un a cloth covered shield. Elrond notices Bilbo solemnly looking at the sword and silently follows up the stairs and stands by his side

ELROND
it waits for the one whose destiny it is to wield it.

BILBO
what name was it given?

Elrond picks up the sword and admires it

ELROND
Narsil which means white light and fire

BILBO
and uh- who is destined to weild it?

ELROND
A great king of man One of the Dunadain a ranger from the North but I fear in all his wanderings he has lost his true path

Elrond sets the sword back in place

BILBO
Not all those who wander are lost

Elrond looks down at the little hobbit amused

ELROND
how poetic did you come up with that?

Bilbo blushes and becomes more nervous

BILBO
No no, my father used to say such things like that you know like Not all that glitters is gold, not all those who wander are lost, The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost such simple sayings really, I always thought he was talking about me

Elrond smiles at the young hobbit but Bilbo becomes too nervous and awekward and chooses to leave

BILBO
Well I must really get back to my companions lord Elrond

he quickly hurries down the stairs but Elrond notices that he goes through a side door that leads to a balcony, taking one last look at Narsil he quietly says

ELROND
The crownless again shall be king....

something like that it would work since PJ tinkered with the timeline and Aragorn should be around 20 in this film instead of 10 like he should be in the book but I doubt it happens that way most likely Elrond spots him looking at Narsil and Bilbo sees him and leaves to the balcony and Elrond follows him. what do you think about this scene for the EE?

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 3 2013, 11:46pm

Post #2 of 19 (444 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful [In reply to] Can't Post

That made my eyes well up a bit.

thorinoakenshield
Rivendell

Sep 3 2013, 11:52pm

Post #3 of 19 (431 views)
Shortcut
That sounds awesome!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I would be absolutely fine if that were the only scene in the EE!! Sadly, I doubt it will be done like that, but who knows? Three months to find out!

Nira
Lorien

Sep 4 2013, 12:46am

Post #4 of 19 (394 views)
Shortcut
Lovely! [In reply to] Can't Post

That would be perfect! Smile

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Sep 4 2013, 12:49am

Post #5 of 19 (389 views)
Shortcut
Estel [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ reads these pages because this is fabulous. Would love to see this on screen.

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Sep 4 2013, 2:39am

Post #6 of 19 (357 views)
Shortcut
that would be awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love it! We probably won't see it, but I love it! Laugh

Race is meaningless. We all bleed red-no matter who or what we are. What matters is the heart. For each race has those with good hearts and those with bad hearts. You have a good heart. You do not deserve to die.

Arthael
Lorien

Sep 4 2013, 6:42am

Post #7 of 19 (307 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

That'a just as well written as anything in AUJ. Great use of language. It's fan service but it totally enriches the average movie-goer's view of both characters. Please write some more pieces!

"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go."

Silwen_Peredhil
Rivendell

Sep 4 2013, 2:33pm

Post #8 of 19 (239 views)
Shortcut
Really Beautiful! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is such a lovely idea.

The conversation between Elrond and Bilbo in the extended scene, I thought, was quite a touching scene. I can't wait to see Bilbo going past Narsil as well. Smile

What's this? A Ranger caught off his guard?

burgahobbit
Rohan

Sep 4 2013, 5:34pm

Post #9 of 19 (212 views)
Shortcut
That is great Barrow-white [In reply to] Can't Post

The only problem is that it seems that when Elrond says "Not with your companions" that this is the first time that the two have talked. But I would love if something like this was included. You should have helped write the screenplay Barrow-White!

"I don't mean to be blunt but I felt I had to speak my mind, I'm sorry." - Bilbo Baggins.
"Apology accepted." - Balin.

Faleel
Rohan

Sep 4 2013, 5:45pm

Post #10 of 19 (202 views)
Shortcut
yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

this is pretty good, except for "how poetic, did you come up with that?" sounds a bit stiff, or too modern or something...

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Sep 4 2013, 7:33pm

Post #11 of 19 (198 views)
Shortcut
The painting/mural of Sauron and Isildur features in some way in this scene [In reply to] Can't Post

In the Vlogs we see Alan Lee painting the Ring onto Sauron's finger on this mural. It is actually the same mural used in LotR, and it never originally featured the Ring. So clearly it has some significance.

Also, I'm not 100% but there's a shot in the trailer of Bilbo looking around on the bridge into Rivendell which I THINK is different from what we see in the film, as he's on his own - rather than with the dwarves. I think this shot is part of a montage of Bilbo exploring Rivendell alone, while the dwarves eat.

Thranderz
Rohan

Sep 4 2013, 8:58pm

Post #12 of 19 (170 views)
Shortcut
They may as well [In reply to] Can't Post

fire Philippa Boyens and replace her with you! Wink

I simply walked into Mordor.

Snaga
Lorien

Sep 4 2013, 10:01pm

Post #13 of 19 (166 views)
Shortcut
When I saw that brief glimpse... [In reply to] Can't Post

... of Bilbo walking up to Narsil I remember thinking to myself that I hope they don't overdo that scene. Like some others, I had hopes that the writers would not throw in too many of those sad like tie-ins a la' George Lucas.

However, I really like the kind of dialogue you have proposed and I don't think it goes to far at all. I will be interesting to see what they do with this.

"Alas for Boromir! It was too sore a trial!"

-Faramir

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Sep 4 2013, 10:23pm

Post #14 of 19 (152 views)
Shortcut
Thank You All So Much!! [In reply to] Can't Post

well Thank you all you've really boosted my confidence lol I'm glad you all liked it.I try not to show my writings so much cause I feel as though I'm "pimping" it out so to speak if I can use that phrase lol but I have written a complete script of The Hobbit )written before the movies were even announced if I may add) if anyone is intrested in reading it you can PM me.

I am very excited for the EE to come out and when I'm excited and stuff I generally have to write something about it but Thank you all so much you really have no idea how all your words make me feel and how much you've brightened my day thank you!

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Sep 5 2013, 1:52am

Post #15 of 19 (144 views)
Shortcut
Cool idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

I might not like the word-for-word dialogue, but the interaction and the setting of the scene just comes alive!!

Good show!!

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Sep 5 2013, 1:55am

Post #16 of 19 (141 views)
Shortcut
Yeah I had problems with that [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah the same issue with the "how poetic" line I could not figure out a way to word them better so I just I put them in there as is, in my head he's supposed to be saying them fast like running down a list

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Sep 5 2013, 2:07am

Post #17 of 19 (135 views)
Shortcut
Ideas [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe something's along these lines:

And what would a hobbit know of wandering?
(amused but not condescending tone)

(Slowly, thoughtfully)Wise words. (Inquisitively)Do all of your kind speak with such grace?

(Slightly surprised)Truly wisdom is found in the most unlikely places!

(Amused)Truly, has such a day come, that such words should come from the mouth of a hobbit?

Just some immediate thoughts.....

burgahobbit
Rohan

Sep 5 2013, 4:58pm

Post #18 of 19 (91 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps, but [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
this is pretty good, except for "how poetic, did you come up with that?" sounds a bit stiff, or too modern or something...

Maybe some other lines in AUJ are the same way. Tongue

(This post was edited by burgahobbit on Sep 5 2013, 4:59pm)

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Sep 5 2013, 10:09pm

Post #19 of 19 (81 views)
Shortcut
This is really lovely. [In reply to] Can't Post

That the elves of Rivendell hold Bilbo in warm esteem in later life begins from this first encounter. I hope there are, indeed, more scenes like this between Elrond and Bilbo - and perhaps Lindir? Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.