Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
RUMOR: Benedict Cumberbatch Joins The Cast Of STAR WARS EPISODE VII

Orc13
Bree

Sep 2 2013, 9:01pm

Post #1 of 23 (852 views)
Shortcut
RUMOR: Benedict Cumberbatch Joins The Cast Of STAR WARS EPISODE VII Can't Post

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/...eviews/news/?a=86348

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 2 2013, 9:21pm

Post #2 of 23 (407 views)
Shortcut
But loses the role in 50 Shades of Grey [In reply to] Can't Post

LaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

"RadagaStoner deserves no mercy!" Tauriel the Radagast Slayer, the Chief of Inglorious Elfguards

Tauriel saved us from Itaril. Never forget.

cats16
Tol Eressea

Sep 2 2013, 9:27pm

Post #3 of 23 (342 views)
Shortcut
^ LOL! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Sep 3 2013, 1:14am

Post #4 of 23 (292 views)
Shortcut
Can we trust this? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm still rolling my eyes that Disney has acquired Star Wars. (I hate Disney, sorry). But if Benedict ends up in it, well, I'll go see it. However, all this could be lies. Just some chump who want to get all the fans worked up over nothing.

Luinnár
Rivendell

Sep 3 2013, 1:24am

Post #5 of 23 (286 views)
Shortcut
I'll believe it when I see it. [In reply to] Can't Post

This doesn't necessarily mean that I am going to watch it in the theater.
(Not meant to be criticism) Blush

(This post was edited by Luinnár on Sep 3 2013, 1:26am)

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 3 2013, 11:21am

Post #6 of 23 (233 views)
Shortcut
It's a tug-o-war between various sources right now [In reply to] Can't Post

Some say it's a done deal and announcement imminent, others (Variety) are firm it isn't happening. I say if Abrams denies it, it's totally happening. He said "No Khan" so....Laugh

I think it's a done deal. He left Crimson Peak for undisclosed reason, production of both Star Wars and Peak was slated for the same time and according to Badassdigest.com his role is a villain which is what he's typecast as in blockbusters. So it makes sense, IMO.

"RadagaStoner deserves no mercy!" Tauriel the Radagast Slayer, the Chief of Inglorious Elfguards

bborchar
Rohan

Sep 3 2013, 1:42pm

Post #7 of 23 (197 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Some say it's a done deal and announcement imminent, others (Variety) are firm it isn't happening. I say if Abrams denies it, it's totally happening. He said "No Khan" so....Laugh

I think it's a done deal. He left Crimson Peak for undisclosed reason, production of both Star Wars and Peak was slated for the same time and according to Badassdigest.com his role is a villain which is what he's typecast as in blockbusters. So it makes sense, IMO.

He's only been in two blockbusters, so I would think he's not exactly "typecast" yet (and technically, he's only lending his voice to Smaug). Besides, he doesn't want to be typecast...he almost turned down the role in Star Trek for that very reason.

"The thrill of the chase, the blood pumping through your veins...just the two of us against the rest of the world!" ~ Sherlock

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 3 2013, 3:09pm

Post #8 of 23 (170 views)
Shortcut
I didn't say he's typecast in general [In reply to] Can't Post

since he has landed several very different roles in movies released/to be released this year. Just that he is turning into a go-to guy for villains when it comes to big franchises. I think it's Hollywood's posh Brit accent bias. They just love to have such voices as bad guys.

bborchar
Rohan

Sep 3 2013, 3:19pm

Post #9 of 23 (166 views)
Shortcut
But he's really only been in one so far... [In reply to] Can't Post

I doubt he's turned into the "go-to-guy" yet. And he won't, unless he wants to. He is turning into the go-to guy for dramatic parts, though. Hollywood does like British bad guys...but "The Hobbit" has only British/Australian/New Zealanders...so I don't think that counts. But who's to say that if he DOES do Star Wars (which I won't believe until I see it), that he would be the bad guy?

"The thrill of the chase, the blood pumping through your veins...just the two of us against the rest of the world!" ~ Sherlock

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 3 2013, 4:01pm

Post #10 of 23 (158 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit is made by Hollywood studio so it is a Hollywood movie [In reply to] Can't Post

And 3 villain roles in 3 big franchises is typecasting. 2 already is but 3 even more so.

But like I said, he has versatile career outside of blockbusters so he isn't generlaly typecast...only in big movies.

bborchar
Rohan

Sep 3 2013, 4:05pm

Post #11 of 23 (158 views)
Shortcut
What's the third? [In reply to] Can't Post

All I know of is Star Trek and a voice over in The Hobbit. What's the third blockbuster he's been in as the villain?

Here are all of the non-blockbuster Hollywood movies he's been (or will be) in:

August: Osage County (Charles Aiken)
The Fifth Estate (Julian Assange)
The Imitation Game (Alan Turing)
12 Years a Slave (William Ford)
Atonement (Paul Marshall)
War Horse (Maj. Jamie Stewart)
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (Peter Guillam)

Only in Atonement is he a bad guy. I don't think he's "typecast" when he's only been in two blockbusters, and only the voice in one of them.

(This post was edited by bborchar on Sep 3 2013, 4:12pm)

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 3 2013, 4:21pm

Post #12 of 23 (147 views)
Shortcut
I consider Star Wars third [In reply to] Can't Post

There are too many sources reporting this to be a bogus rumor.

bborchar
Rohan

Sep 3 2013, 4:22pm

Post #13 of 23 (146 views)
Shortcut
I consider nothing about Star Wars... [In reply to] Can't Post

...as absolutely nothing is confirmed- and people would just be guessing his role even if he is in it because they don't know anything about the plot at all.

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 3 2013, 4:32pm

Post #14 of 23 (147 views)
Shortcut
There will be 4 leads in their early 20s [In reply to] Can't Post

So he is out for those. There are also a wise type and a military type. he may be up for one of those 2 roles but sources specified it's a villain with a multi-picture arc. Sounds like the main villain.

bborchar
Rohan

Sep 3 2013, 4:36pm

Post #15 of 23 (138 views)
Shortcut
I'm saying that I don't believe rumors... [In reply to] Can't Post

...until they are confirmed. Nothing has been confirmed at all. To me, it seems too predictable, and he doesn't often take on predictable roles.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Sep 3 2013, 4:41pm

Post #16 of 23 (132 views)
Shortcut
Agree [In reply to] Can't Post

He's not one to take on stuff just to do it. If it's a good part, then who cares. I don't see Ben as being typecast at all. He has way too much filmography the other way.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 3 2013, 4:42pm

Post #17 of 23 (133 views)
Shortcut
I agree about predictable [In reply to] Can't Post

But Star Wars is his childhood dream. He's really a big Star Wars geek, especially Han Solo one. One cnanot begrudge him if he accepts. What fna wouldn't?

bborchar
Rohan

Sep 3 2013, 4:47pm

Post #18 of 23 (133 views)
Shortcut
I would never begrudge him anything like that... [In reply to] Can't Post

...if he wants to do the role, who cares? But he wouldn't do a villain role simply because it's the only work he can get...if he did it, he would have a good reason for doing so. I wouldn't say he's typecast at all, though, because like someone else said, he's done too much the other way. He's probably more popular as the hero detective "Sherlock" than anything he's done in Hollywood, so people probably think of that before anything else.

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 3 2013, 4:58pm

Post #19 of 23 (129 views)
Shortcut
Oh, he's hardly in "only work he cna get" category [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact, he's in "is he now going to be in every movie?" category. Laugh

flameofudun
Lorien

Sep 3 2013, 11:17pm

Post #20 of 23 (107 views)
Shortcut
You sure must have been shaken [In reply to] Can't Post

On that TORn April fools joke a while back

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Sep 4 2013, 1:12am

Post #21 of 23 (89 views)
Shortcut
Until anything has been officially confirmed [In reply to] Can't Post

it's still just a rumor. For the time being, I'm thinking it is someone who just wants to get an arise out of Cumberbatch fans. I was almost taken, but then I realized, people have been doing that a lot on the internet. I'll wait til the official press release before I get excited.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Sep 4 2013, 1:14am

Post #22 of 23 (93 views)
Shortcut
I sure was [In reply to] Can't Post

I heaved a big sigh of relief when I realized it was an April Fool's joke.

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 4 2013, 12:28pm

Post #23 of 23 (88 views)
Shortcut
His rep unconvincingly debunked the rumor [In reply to] Can't Post

In all due respect, I don't think his fandom is that important for serious industry sources to try to get an arise out of them. No offense but really guys. No scoop site is in the so-and-so fandom pranking business. Their credibility and hits depend on getting accurate scoops. Whether a fandom gets into cardiac arrest over some rumor is not on their radar.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.