Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
It's time for a special BS... in memory of JRR Tolkien

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 2 2013, 8:36pm

Post #1 of 16 (328 views)
Shortcut
It's time for a special BS... in memory of JRR Tolkien Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth... On this day in 1973 we lost our Good Professor. I'd like to offer this in memory and honour of him and his Lúthien.

September 2, 1973
From Of Beren and Lúthien: The Silmarillion
..."Now Beren and Lúthien Tinúviel went free again and together walked through the woods renewing for a time their joy; and though winter came it hurt them not, for flowers lingered where Lúthien went, and the birds sang beneath the snowclad hills."

From Of the Fifth Battle: Nirnaeth Arnoediad: The Silmarillion
..."It is said that Beren and Lúthien returned to the northern lands of Middle-earth, and dwelt together for a time as living man and woman; and they took up again their mortal form in Doriath. Those that saw them were both glad and fearful; and Lúthien went to Menegroth and healed the winter of Thingol with the touch of her hand. But Melian looked in her eyes and read the doom that was written there... ...she knew that a parting beyond the end of the world had come between them, and no grief of loss has been heavier than the grief of Melian the Maia in that hour. Then Beren and Lúthien went forth alone, fearing neither thirst nor hunger; and they passed beyond the River Gelion into Ossiriand, and dwelt there in Tol Galen the green isle... ...until all tidings of them ceased. The Eldar afterwards called that country Dor Firn-i-Guinar, and the Land of the Dead that Live; and there was born Dior Aranel the beautiful, who was after known as Dior Eluchíl, which is Thingol's Heir. No mortal man spoke ever again with Beren son of Barahir; and none saw Beren or Lúthien leave the world, or marked where at last their bodies lay."

Light the Beacons: TheOneRing.net's Fellowship Fundraiser on eBay!

5th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013
1st draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 2 2013, 8:53pm

Post #2 of 16 (189 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for these Gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

He writes a bit about his Luthien in Letter # 332...

"...so that I still often find myself thinking 'I must tell E. about this' - and then suddenly I feel lie a castaway left on a barren island under a heedless sky after the loss of a great ship...I met the Luthien Tinuviel of my own personal 'romance' with her long dark hair, fair face and starry eyes, and beautiful voice. And in 1934 she was till with me, and her beautiful children. But now she has gone before Beren, leaving him indeed one-handed, but he has no power to move the inexorable Mandos, and there is no Dor Gyrth I chuinar, the Land of the Dead that Live, in this fallen Kingdom of Arda, where the servants of Morgoth are worshipped..."

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

cats16
Valinor

Sep 2 2013, 9:02pm

Post #3 of 16 (186 views)
Shortcut
A perfect way to honor him. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you, gramma! SmileHeart

Also, thank you Brethil for that lovely quote from Letters. I had not read/heard it before. *slight tears* I cannot imagine how his grief process was, given that his story was Middle-earth's, and vice versa. I'm sure it was of great assistance during that time. Though he did join her soon enough...

(This post was edited by cats16 on Sep 2 2013, 9:03pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 3 2013, 2:23am

Post #4 of 16 (169 views)
Shortcut
Beren and Luthien [In reply to] Can't Post

Always does this passage bring to mind that letter wherein Tolkien wrote about his Lúthien. Number 340, written to Christopher on 11 July 1972, discussing the inscription on Edith's gravestone:

I have at last got busy about Mummy's grave...The inscription I should like is:
.......................EDITH MARY TOLKIEN
..............................1889-1971
.................................Lúthien

: brief and jejune, except for Lúthien, which says for me more than a multitude of words: for she was (and knew she was) my Lúthien.

July 13. Say what you feel without reservation, about this addition. I began this under the stress of great emotion & regret - and in any case I am afflicted from time to time (increasingly) with an overwhelming sense of bereavement. I need advice. Yet I hope none of my children will feel that the use of this name is a sentimental fancy. It is at any rate not comparable to the quoting of pet names in obituaries. I never called Edith Lúthien - but she was the source of the story that in time became the chief part of the Silmarillion. It was first conceived in a small woodland glade filled with hemlocks at Roos in Yorkshire (where I was for a brief time in command of an outpost of the Humber Garrison in 1917, and she was able to live with me for a while). In those days her hair was raven, her skin clear, her eyes brighter than you have seen them, and she could sing - and dance. But the story has gone crooked, & I am left, and I cannot plead before the inexorable Mandos.

In little over a year, he would be with her, once again...to the great grief of those of us left behind...

Yet, he lives on. Heart Peace, dear Professor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 3 2013, 12:09pm

Post #5 of 16 (174 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful gramma:) [In reply to] Can't Post

I found an image of them*
that really moved me so i'd like to share it. For me it captures the moment.

To Tolkien, the most influential spirit in my life.

* http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-b_d7I7dSjR0/UT8NX2CD65I/AAAAAAAAA2g/H8Ea948DoRY/s400/beren-and-luthien---mmexi--cg-galleries.jpg

" 'Fair lady Goldberry!' said Frodo at last, feeling his heart move with a joy that he did not understand. He stood as he had at times stood enchanted by fair elven-voices; but the spell that was now laid upon him was different: less keen and lofty was the delight, but deeper and nearer to mortal heart; marvellous and yet not strange."

Chapter VII: In the House of Tom Bombadil; FOTR's

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 3 2013, 12:56pm

Post #6 of 16 (161 views)
Shortcut
A moving tribute d. [In reply to] Can't Post

I found this as well close by:

Their final rest together

“Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that came down to us from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which amid weeping there is joy and under the shadow of death light that endures. And of these histories most fair still in the ears of the Elves is the tale of Beren and Lúthien”

J.R.R. Tolkien, The Silmarillion

" 'Fair lady Goldberry!' said Frodo at last, feeling his heart move with a joy that he did not understand. He stood as he had at times stood enchanted by fair elven-voices; but the spell that was now laid upon him was different: less keen and lofty was the delight, but deeper and nearer to mortal heart; marvellous and yet not strange."

Chapter VII: In the House of Tom Bombadil; FOTR's

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

ltnjmy
Rivendell

Sep 3 2013, 7:40pm

Post #7 of 16 (148 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful Tribute to the Great Professor [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks so much for this !!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 3 2013, 9:33pm

Post #8 of 16 (143 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful, Gramma. Thanks. // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 4 2013, 4:44am

Post #9 of 16 (150 views)
Shortcut
TIME - September 3 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

September 3, 3001 (S.R. 1401)
1. September in Hobbiton.
(not from the appendices)
..."...it was understood that something quite exceptional was being planned for that autumn. Bilbo was going to be eleventy-one, 111, a rather curious number, and a very respectable age for a hobbit... ...and Frodo was going to be thirty-three, 33, an important number: the date of his 'coming of age'.
...Tongues began to wag in Hobbiton and Bywater; and rumour of the coming event travelled all over the Shire. The history and character of Mr. Bilbo Baggins became once again the chief topic of conversation; and the older folk suddenly found their reminiscences in welcome demand.
...No one had a more attentive audience than old Ham Gamgee, commonly known as the Gaffer.... ...he spoke with some authority, for he had tended the garden at Bag End for forty years, and had helped old Holman in the same job before that. Now that he was himself growing old and stiff in the joints, the job was mainly carried on by his youngest son, Sam Gamgee. Both father and son were on very friendly terms with Bilbo and Frodo. They lived on the Hill itself, in Number 3 Bagshot Row just below Bag End.
...'A very nice well-spoken gentlehobbit is Mr. Bilbo, as I've always said,' the Gaffer declared. With perfect truth: for Bilbo was very polite to him, calling him 'Master Hamfast', and consulting him constantly upon the growing of vegetables—in the matter of 'roots', especially potatoes, the Gaffer was recognized as the leading authority by all in the neighbourhood (including himself).
...'But what about this Frodo that lives with him?' asked Old Noakes of Bywater. 'Baggins is his name, but he's more than half a Brandybuck... ...left an orphan and stranded, as you might say, among those queer Bucklanders. Being brought up anyhow in Brandy Hall. A regular warren, by all accounts. Old Master Gorbadoc never had fewer than a couple of hundred relations in the place. Mr. Bilbo never did a kinder deed than when he brought the lad back to live among decent folk...
...'...they do things proper at Bag End. [says the Gaffer] Our Sam says that everyone's going to be invited to the party, and there's going to be presents, mark you, presents for all--this very month as is.'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 4 2013, 4:46am

Post #10 of 16 (143 views)
Shortcut
TIME - September 4 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

September 4, 3001 (S.R. 1401)
1. Party rumours start.
..."...a rumour (probably started by the knowledgeable Sam) was spread about that there were going to be fireworks--fireworks, what is more, such as had not been seen in the Shire for nigh on a century, not indeed since the Old Took died."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 4 2013, 4:51am

Post #11 of 16 (130 views)
Shortcut
oh my... so sad and beautiful... // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 4 2013, 4:54am

Post #12 of 16 (130 views)
Shortcut
another tear, another sigh [In reply to] Can't Post

His expression shows his heart laid open. oh my...

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 5 2013, 7:15pm

Post #13 of 16 (150 views)
Shortcut
TIME - September 5 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

September 5, 2941 (S.R. 1401)
1. Gandalf at the White Council.
... "In the late summer... ...Gandalf had at last prevailed upon Saruman and the White Council to attack Dol Guldur, and Sauron retreated and went to Mordor, there to be secure, as he thought, from all his enemies. So it was that when the War came at last the main assault was turned southwards..."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 6 2013, 2:32pm

Post #14 of 16 (137 views)
Shortcut
TIME - September 6 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

Let's catch up and see what everyone is doing Today in Middle-earth.
41 days in Mirkwood

September 6, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Bilbo learns how to make his way through Thranduil's Caverns
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."Eventually... ...by watching and following the guards and taking what chances he could, he managed to find out where each dwarf was kept. He found all their twelve cells in different parts of the palace, and after a time he got to know his way about very well."

September 6, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Frodo prepares to leave Bag End.
[Frodo's plans to move to his little house at Crickhollow in the country beyond Bucklebury are well underway.]
..."Frodo was also growing increasingly anxious about the delay of Gandalf's return. Bilbo's birthday, the chosen day of Frodo's departure, was fast approaching and there was still no word from the wizard."

September 6, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. They (the Travellers) halt in the sight of the Mountain of Moria.
(from the appendices)
..."They were near to the Gates of Moria... ...Here now for seven days they tarried, for the time was at hand for another parting which they were loth to make. Soon Celeborn and Galadriel and their folk would turn eastward, and so pass by the Redhorn Gate and down the Dimrill Stair to the Silverlode and to their own country."

September 6, 3020 (S.R. 1420)
1. Summer comes to an end in the Shire.
..."In the Southfarthing the vines were laden, and the yield of 'leaf' was astonishing; and everywhere there was so much corn that at Harvest every barn was stuffed."

September 6, 3021 (S.R. 1421)
1. Frodo seems to become more content.
(not from the appendices-no text)
...Sam 's mind was eased and his concern for Frodo lessened as it seemed his master was more content than he'd been in many months. The restless nights were fewer now, and Frodo seemed to find great satisfaction in the progress he was making with his book. There were picnics with Sam, Rosie and little Elanor under the mallorn tree, peaceful hikes to the far ends of the Shire, and even a long visit with old Farmer Maggot. Though once he did tell Sam he'd be away for a fortnight and was last seen near Crickhollow riding toward the old High Hay hedges.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 7 2013, 8:43pm

Post #15 of 16 (116 views)
Shortcut
TIME - September 7 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

September 7, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Bilbo finds Thorin's cell.
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."What was his surprise one day to overhear some of the guards talking and to learn that there was another dwarf in prison too, in a specially deep dark place. He guessed at once... ...that that was Thorin; and after a while he found that his guess was right. At last after many difficulties he managed to find the place when no one was about, and to have a word with the chief of the dwarves.
...Thorin was too wretched to be angry any longer at his misfortunes, and was even beginning to think of telling the king all about his treasure and his quest... ...when he heard Bilbo's little voice at his keyhole. He could hardly believe his ears. Soon however he made up his mind that he could not be mistaken, and he came to the door and had a long whispered talk with the hobbit on the other side."

September 7, 3001 (S.R. 1401)
1. The Shire is visited by outsiders.
..."Days passed and The Day drew nearer. An odd-looking waggon laden with odd-looking packages rolled into Hobbiton one evening and toiled up the Hill to Bag End. The startled hobbits peered out of lamplit doors to gape at it. It was driven by outlandish folk, singing strange songs: dwarves with long beards and deep hoods. A few of them remained at Bag End."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 9 2013, 2:06am

Post #16 of 16 (175 views)
Shortcut
TIME - September 8 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

September 8, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. The White Council meets.
(not from the appendices-determined from text)
..."...ever the shadow in Mirkwood grew deeper, and to Dol Guldur evil things repaired out of all the dark places of the world... ...united again under one will, and their malice was directed against the Elves and the survivors of Númenor. Therefore at last the Council was again summoned and the lore of the Rings was much debated; but Mithrandir spoke to the Council, saying:
...'It is not needed that the Ring should be found, for while it abides on earth and is not unmade, still the power that it holds will live, and Sauron will grow and have hope. The might of the Elves and the Elf-friends is less now than of old. Soon he will be too strong... ...even without the Great Ring; for he rules the Nine, and of the Seven he has recovered three. We must strike.'"

2. Saruman agrees to an attack on Dol Guldur.
(not from the appendices-determined from text)
..."To this Curunír now assented, desiring that Sauron should be thrust from Dol Guldur, which was nigh to the River, and should have leisure to search there no longer. Therefore, for the last time, he aided the Council..."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.