Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Braids and other costume design meanings

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Sep 1 2013, 6:04pm

Views: 605
Shortcut
Braids and other costume design meanings Can't Post

So, I was curious. I don't know if there has been any other thread about this, but as I cannot acquire the WETA chronicles until Christmas (it's on my wish list), I am wondering if anyone knows...

Are the way the braids are done on the dwarves supposed to have meanings?

I know I have heard that Dori's elaborate braiding is indicative of his fussy personality, for example.

But I have seen repeated ideas that braids have significance, meaning that perhaps a certain braid indicates King, Prince, Crown Prince, warrior (absence of a braid maybe with Dwalin and Balin?), or if it is possible the dwarf cultures could have such things as courting/marriage braids and if one of Gloin's braids might signify that he is the only one of the company who is married?

I am just curious if they were only going for distinctive looks or if their vast array of braids had different meanings...

Also with the costuming and weaponry. I know that swords aren't used really for anything other than battle, so those who have swords (as opposed to axes, mattocks, etc) are definitely considered warriors....I wonder if the weapon choices tell us non-verbally more about each dwarf and their trades or personalities?

As far as costuming, are Thorin and Fili and Kili the only ones who have a sigil (or crest, or whatever they call their Celtic knots)? And is that due to their royal heritage, or indicative of the fact that Thorin is Prince-in-exile, technically King Under the Mountain, Fili is Crown Prince, and Kili is Prince? Or do the others also have sigils and each dwarf's is unique?

Are their costumes as well supposed to reflect their trades or statuses? We do see some nicer things on certain dwarves and not as well taken care of things on others.

Let me know your thoughts/research/discoveries!!!

(and I will be continually reminding my husband what I want for Christmas!!!) Cool

Tauriel (as her hair catches during BO5A)- Ah, now I understand why you keep your beard so short, master Kili!
Kili: Um, because it grows slowly? (glares at her for perceived insult)
Tauriel: Because your arrows don't get tangled in your *^%*(^$%* beard every time you shoot! (more curses as it gets further tangled)
Kili: Um, YEAH! That's it! That's why I keep my beard short! (strides off triumphantly with a huge grin on his face, still shooting arrows as the cursing and tangles continues behind him)

Tauriel keeps fighting the tangles on the battlefield long after Dain takes the throne and Dale is rebuilt. Frodo takes the ring to Morder and once Sauron is defeated she FINALLY gets the last arrow out.

Subject User Time
Braids and other costume design meanings Cirashala Send a private message to Cirashala Sep 1 2013, 6:04pm
    Replying to: Braids and other costume design meanings jkm7 Send a private message to jkm7 Sep 2 2013, 7:18pm
        braids Cirashala Send a private message to Cirashala Sep 2 2013, 7:38pm
            braids jkm7 Send a private message to jkm7 Sep 2 2013, 8:01pm
    Your best bet is wait until you get the books! DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Sep 2 2013, 9:06pm
        books Cirashala Send a private message to Cirashala Sep 2 2013, 9:11pm
        I have to agree with Daniel. Noria Send a private message to Noria Sep 3 2013, 2:27pm
            those Chronicles books are worth having ByThorinsBeard Send a private message to ByThorinsBeard Sep 3 2013, 6:41pm
    Well I posted this before flameofudun Send a private message to flameofudun Sep 3 2013, 11:13pm
        hair hair long beautiful hair marillaraina Send a private message to marillaraina Sep 3 2013, 11:40pm
            Could it also be... Cirashala Send a private message to Cirashala Sep 4 2013, 2:25am
                True artists marillaraina Send a private message to marillaraina Sep 4 2013, 3:01am
                    Maybe Cirashala Send a private message to Cirashala Sep 4 2013, 3:13am
            Kili doesn't have a beard at all. sauget.diblosio Send a private message to sauget.diblosio Sep 4 2013, 3:34am
                stubble marillaraina Send a private message to marillaraina Sep 4 2013, 1:39pm
                    I was fine with this idea until they said Ori was the youngest // QuackingTroll Send a private message to QuackingTroll Sep 4 2013, 1:43pm
                beard length Cirashala Send a private message to Cirashala Sep 4 2013, 1:46pm
                    Lucky girl marillaraina Send a private message to marillaraina Sep 4 2013, 5:13pm
                        husband Cirashala Send a private message to Cirashala Sep 4 2013, 9:00pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.