Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Possible Flashbacks in DoS ?

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Sep 1 2013, 5:28pm

Post #1 of 16 (687 views)
Shortcut
Possible Flashbacks in DoS ? Can't Post

Since i personally love flashbacks in each kind of movies i would be interested in what you think what flashbacks could happen in the Desolation of Smaug ?!
I always liked what PJ offered so far in AUJ or the trilogy, so whats coming next..ideas ? wishes ? hopes ?

Shagrat
Gondor

Sep 1 2013, 5:45pm

Post #2 of 16 (363 views)
Shortcut
Thrain's misfortunes are a cert [In reply to] Can't Post

We know that it will take in the battle of Azanulbizar, but everything else is unclear at this point.

Gandalf and Thorin's meeting at Bree seems a strong possibility at this point.

Possible flashbacks involving Beorn to strengthen his bad blood with Azog and Bolg.

I'd love to see some flashbacks involving Sauron and the Witchking.

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Sep 1 2013, 5:47pm

Post #3 of 16 (355 views)
Shortcut
concerning the Witchking [In reply to] Can't Post

the High Fells are very likely to be a flashback,arent they ?
Or are they meant to happen in real time ?

(This post was edited by NoelGallagher on Sep 1 2013, 5:48pm)

The Mitch King
Rohan

Sep 1 2013, 6:20pm

Post #4 of 16 (329 views)
Shortcut
Nazgul and Beorn [In reply to] Can't Post

How about a scene with Beornings getting killed by orcs led by Azog and Bolg?

Or something even more intriguing, a scene with the necromancer visiting the High Fells and having all the Nazgul busting out due to his increased power and presence.

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Sep 1 2013, 6:57pm

Post #5 of 16 (287 views)
Shortcut
i doubt it [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
How about a scene with Beornings getting killed by orcs led by Azog and Bolg?

Or something even more intriguing, a scene with the necromancer visiting the High Fells and having all the Nazgul busting out due to his increased power and presence.

it would mean that the High Fells would be there twice in DoS,which i cant imagine..although i like the idea a lot !

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Sep 1 2013, 8:30pm

Post #6 of 16 (235 views)
Shortcut
They kind of have to be... [In reply to] Can't Post

...unless Jackson is going to have Gandalf going back over the mountains. Or he's moved Rhudaur to the eastern side of the mountains.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Sep 1 2013, 9:41pm

Post #7 of 16 (205 views)
Shortcut
Ideally: Beorn's history with the Gundabad Orcs, Thrain's story, possibly Bree...and, a Flash Foward [In reply to] Can't Post

depicting what will unfold if the Necromancer realizes his plans and potentially allies with Smaug or draws the dragon under this thrall, ALA "The Quest for Erebor".

"...do not forget the Battle of Dale. Think of what might have been. Dragon-fire and savage swords in Eriador!...But that has been averted - because I met Thorin Oakenshield one evening on the edge of spring not far from Bree."

This would allow for an homage to what occurred in the Northern Theater during the War of the Ring in the books which was not touched upon in the films (as the potential future witnessed by Frodo in FotR acted as an homage to the Scouring of the Shire).

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Sep 1 2013, 10:30pm

Post #8 of 16 (171 views)
Shortcut
sneak peak [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

...unless Jackson is going to have Gandalf going back over the mountains. Or he's moved Rhudaur to the eastern side of the mountains.

Which we saw back in March, the High Fells sequence didnt felt like a Flashback to me...and then the shot from the last vlog ("graaave danger") looked like present time again...

(This post was edited by NoelGallagher on Sep 1 2013, 10:33pm)

morro91
Bree

Sep 1 2013, 10:52pm

Post #9 of 16 (171 views)
Shortcut
No High Fells flashback [In reply to] Can't Post

The High Fells aren't likely to be a flashback, its likely that in pick-ups they were able to change it through dialogue, that Gandalf goes from Beorn->High Fells->Dol Guldor. The reason is because they wouldn't want to have too many flashbacks, it can confuse people.

I think the film will start with Thrain and Gandalf exchanging key and map, followed with the scene in Bree with Thorin and Gandalf, then we get the title 'Desolation of Smaug' and rejoin our company walking towards Beorns. They stay at Beorns when one of Radagasts birds visits Gandalf and suddenly Gandalf must leave for the High Fells. The company go on there way, into Mirkwood.Gandalf goes back over the mountains to the High Fells.

Yes, the timeline might be very condensed, but I think the only flashback will be the Thrain stuff/Thorin stuff, which will help re-establish the story and introduce Thrain.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Sep 1 2013, 11:21pm

Post #10 of 16 (159 views)
Shortcut
Agreed on the Necromancer elements, [In reply to] Can't Post

however - they will likely continue the trend of a dynamic prologue of the film. The exchange of map and key/Bree scene alone simply doesn't seem "big" enough to open DoS, IMO. However, I wonder if we might get a flashback within a flashback, similar to the duel Red Book/Erebor opening of AUJ.

The film might open with Gandalf and Thorin meeting in Bree, planning the trip to Erebor; Thrain is mentioned, and Gandy relates what he knows of Thorin's father - we revisit the Moria battle possibly with new detail, then follow Thrain as he's captured by Azog and brought to Dol Guldur, possibly being presented to the Necromancer. We then flash-foward to find the Company as they near Beorn's house...? Both the Moria extension, and the hint of the Necromancer might add some "oophm" to the opening sequence and put the Dol Guldur story into the forefront of the audience's awareness, while further connecting the dwarf and Necromancer stories, IMO.

2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

kbdiggity
Rivendell

Sep 1 2013, 11:56pm

Post #11 of 16 (152 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

Flashback to Smaug's youth, when he was a more innocent dragon before a mean old Dwarf came and stole one of his toys.

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Sep 2 2013, 2:31am

Post #12 of 16 (127 views)
Shortcut
Back over the mountains... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not saying that this won't be the case, but I find the notion of Gandalf backtracking across the mountains, after what just happened, pretty silly.

morro91
Bree

Sep 2 2013, 2:40am

Post #13 of 16 (117 views)
Shortcut
not silly [In reply to] Can't Post

It won't come across in the film like he's crossed the mountain, that'll just be for the fans who know hes crossed the mountain. Gandalf can be stealthy, avoid caves etc. I doubt it'd be a problem. He would need motivation though, ie. a bird from Radagast perhaps saying hes in trouble or something.

morro91
Bree

Sep 2 2013, 2:43am

Post #14 of 16 (160 views)
Shortcut
Motivation [In reply to] Can't Post

Its possible they'll action it up, perhaps Thrain is under attack from some orcs. Perhaps Gandalf interupts the orcs first attempt at capturing Thrain.

I wouldn't say its not "big" enough, I think the theme of the importance of taking back the mountain is to the dwarves. Perhaps if Thrain is established as going to the mountain by himself to try and get in, but fails, add the Bree scene and you get pretty good motivation for why the dwarves are so determined to go to the mountain.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Sep 2 2013, 3:18am

Post #15 of 16 (107 views)
Shortcut
Agreed the scenes should work for a prolouge - if they do indeed add something(s) [In reply to] Can't Post

to open the film in grand fashion. The opening of FotR covers thousands of years of magic and conflict in seven minutes flat; TTT re-visists some of the most impressive imagery from the first film and sets up both why the Fellowship is leaderless and Gandy's imminent return; RotK gives us Smeagol's back story which includes a murder, fixation with the Ring of Power and a transformation (with our understanding a similar fate may eventually await Frodo); and AUJ reacquaints us with our hero (or an older version) and gives us the glory and fall of Dale/Erebor. Hence, Thrain backstory/Bree could well be the prologue, as long as it's not a simply meetings and creepings, IMO. :P

Side note - Thrain apparently disappeared at the Battle of Moria, (which is where Gandalf is said to have found him in the film universe), so unfortunately it seems as if his failed quest for Erebor from the legendarium will not be included in the film version.

Yngwulff
Gondor

Sep 2 2013, 3:22am

Post #16 of 16 (119 views)
Shortcut
Flashbacks [In reply to] Can't Post

Raddy and his danged magic mushrooms ...

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.