Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Studying history

Pazeer
Rivendell

Aug 28 2013, 7:36pm

Post #1 of 12 (231 views)
Shortcut
Studying history Can't Post

Hello Smile
I just started studying history at the university!
It's a lot of books to read and a lot to learn, but i thought, of all the various people on this site there must be someone who has studied/is studying the same thing?

If so, I would be most thankful for any tips or hints from people who has been through the same!

And if someone else has studied something where you hade a lot of reading on your plate, I would love to get some study-tips aswell!
Thanks Smile

CuriousG
Valinor

Aug 28 2013, 8:05pm

Post #2 of 12 (162 views)
Shortcut
Two ideas [In reply to] Can't Post

If you have a book with timelines, that's great. History is more than dates, but it helps to keep things in order. Not all the dates, just the important ones. If there aren't timelines, you can make your own.

The other thing is to sift through all the names and figure out who's important, and make a list of them to keep them straight, and know at least one thing about them that makes them important. Don't try to know everything. If your professor tells you what they think is important about them, go with that. So they might say Queen Elizabeth I is important because defeated the Spanish Armada, or because she was a rare ruling queen.

My 2 cents on how I studied history, which I took a lot of at my university. Squire is a history teacher and can give you a lot more detail from his perspective.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 28 2013, 10:13pm

Post #3 of 12 (142 views)
Shortcut
de Valera was my personal bane in seventh form History. [In reply to] Can't Post

He moved around Ireland so much that I gave up trying to remember where he was during key events.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

shadowdog
Rohan

Aug 29 2013, 12:00am

Post #4 of 12 (134 views)
Shortcut
History [In reply to] Can't Post

Is an extremely broad subject. What, who, when, and where is the history you are studying. I studied "history" in university many years ago......So general advice. NO history starts in a vacuum. Study the religious movements, philosophical movements, literature from the period and the history of surrounding areas. The object you need to study are the events occurring at the time that drove the history of the time and place you are studying.

Elizabeth
Valinor

Aug 29 2013, 2:18am

Post #5 of 12 (127 views)
Shortcut
History was (and still is) my favorite subject. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have an MA in English history, with concentrations on Roman Britain and the early Middle Ages and the Tudor-Stuart period. But I managed to cover world history from ancient to modern times.

Yes, there's a lot of reading. Just do it Wink

Think about not only what's being described, but also what is the point of view of the historian writing it. That will inevitably color how events are described. Was that invasion an evil, cowardly act, or a courageous attempt by patriots to get their homeland back? Did [x] stage a coup and seize the throne because he was a power-hungry monster, or because the incumbent was corrupt and incompetent and the people deserved better? You may find different historians see things very differently!

Try to get a feeling for how economics affect things. If a land is very poor, its inhabitants may be easy prey for invaders, or they may decide to leave and go somewhere else.

So, the dates, names, and events are only the surface -- the real story is there to be discovered, and is usually fascinating!

CuriousG
Valinor

Aug 29 2013, 2:33am

Post #6 of 12 (117 views)
Shortcut
Good points [In reply to] Can't Post

One of my favorite history teachers liked to point out patterns of human behavior in history, and that made it more enjoyable for everyone. As just one example, he'd talk about how if people become complacent and ignore what's going on beyond their borders, they usually get invaded. So when he'd say something like, "And then the Romans got complacent," we'd groan and say, "So they must have been primed for invasion" and laugh. So look for your own patterns if your teacher doesn't point out any. It becomes a sort of game.

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 29 2013, 8:39am

Post #7 of 12 (112 views)
Shortcut
Studying [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm studying Communications. So not the same subject, but some classes also require a lot of reading.

What works for me is to read up front what will be covered in class, so what the teacher talks about in class is a recap of what I have already read about. From the one time reading I have a general feel of what will be talked about. What the teacher is telling is the most important stuff. And getting into that topic twice will get it into my mind better.
Try to get the teaching plan from the teacher(s) to see what topic will be taught in class and try to read up front. Works best for me.

Pazeer
Rivendell

Aug 29 2013, 10:52am

Post #8 of 12 (98 views)
Shortcut
Thanks to everyone [In reply to] Can't Post

For answers and good tips Smile
I feel studying history is a very ambitious project, but I find it so very interesting and fun, so if I have to go through a couple thousand pages each term, so be it Smile

Elutherian
Rohan

Aug 29 2013, 3:00pm

Post #9 of 12 (91 views)
Shortcut
I'm majoring in History as well... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a fascinating subject. Smile

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

Elizabeth
Valinor

Aug 29 2013, 11:14pm

Post #10 of 12 (82 views)
Shortcut
About those complacent Romans... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I highly recommend The Barbarians, a BBC documentary by Terry Jones (yes, the ex-Python) on the fall of the Roman empire. Jones is a considerable expert on medieval history in his "private life", and does a great job of confounding some of the cliches we get in superficial history courses. It's a lot of fun, too!

Terazed
Bree

Aug 31 2013, 4:28pm

Post #11 of 12 (47 views)
Shortcut
I agree with Shaowdog [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with Shadowdog. The most important lesson I learned from history is that you have to take into account how they thought and not just assume that they think they same way we do. I remember taking a history of ideas class 20 years ago. At the time I realized I was barely scratching the surface of the subject. I have spent the 20 years since trying to get beneath the surface of that topic.

Esmeralda
Bree

Sep 1 2013, 2:53pm

Post #12 of 12 (520 views)
Shortcut
My Uni years [In reply to] Can't Post

were *all* reading. Very little writing, almost no tests. I am a big reader on my own, which helped, but it still can be hard to plow through 200 pages of Thucycides in an evening, or even 5 pages of Kant.

If I were desperate, I would bribe myself with an M&M for finishing a certain number of pages. It was also good to find a study-buddy - someone to read out loud with, and/or discuss what you read, trying to bring the topic alive, rather than just seeing it as words on a page to be got through as quickly as possible. It's so much more fun when you understand more of what you're reading, and begin to see how human choices and frailties can apply to what is happening around us today.

History is people - the stories of those who live it and those who tell it.

(This post was edited by Esmeralda on Sep 1 2013, 2:55pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.