Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Bowman of the Caribbean: Bard Look Rant
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 1 2013, 2:52am

Post #26 of 94 (435 views)
Shortcut
I don't mix them up [In reply to] Can't Post

I just hate getting pulled out of the movie because something is so obviously a callback to another movie. It isn't like movies don't do it all the time, but some make those callbacks their own, others don't.

I'm sorry I made this thread. I was just agitated and had to let it out. I'm sure it's going to be fine. Evans is a decent actor in everything I've seen him so far. Very nice to look at too.

Besides, my undying wraith of the fire of thousands suns is and always will be saved for Radaghast. Laugh

"RadagaStoner deserves no mercy!" Tauriel the Radagast Slayer, the Chief of Inglorious Elfguards

Tauriel saved us from Itaril. Never forget.

Avnar
Lorien

Sep 1 2013, 2:58am

Post #27 of 94 (429 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm.. [In reply to] Can't Post

No-one in these films has looked remotely like I imagined...

(This post was edited by Avnar on Sep 1 2013, 3:00am)

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 1 2013, 3:12am

Post #28 of 94 (432 views)
Shortcut
Same here but I can't begrudge the eye candy that's movie Thorin [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh
My biggest problem is the look of rollovers Elrond and Galadriel. I never fully embraced those casting choices to be honest. Hugo Weaving just isn't someone I'd ever pick for Fair Folk. He isn't unsexy but Fair Folk were classically beautiful, not interesting attractive, unconventional attractive, etc. Classically. Undisputed. Timeless. Cate I think mostly suffered from unflattering ears and hair and because I saw Gladiator when I was reading LOTR so Connie Nielsen was my vision of Galadriel (including that insanely beautiful Roman fashion) that never let go. Radaghast...sigh. Never imagined him one way or the other but what we got I'm trying to block from my mind.

"RadagaStoner deserves no mercy!" Tauriel the Radagast Slayer, the Chief of Inglorious Elfguards

Yngwulff
Gondor

Sep 1 2013, 3:32am

Post #29 of 94 (410 views)
Shortcut
I sort of agree just couldn't put my finger on it [In reply to] Can't Post

I have not watched many POC films, but yeah it is close.

I also thought Bard looked like a dark haired Legolas ... switch wigs and costumes and you'd almost have to do a double take.

Daniel Craig would have been an awesome choice for Bard, I concur.

Josh Brolin or Michael Fassbender would have been good choices as well.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 1 2013, 4:53am

Post #30 of 94 (401 views)
Shortcut
Wasn't Fassbender hottly rumored to be up for a major part? [In reply to] Can't Post

That was when Thranduil and Bard were still uncast. He was basically Bard in 300 and although he'd be terrific I'm glad he took several really interesting and daring roles in other movies instead. In all due respect but Bard&co don't fit the interesting role bill. They are stock blockbuster characters which is not a bad thing but they don't require Fassbender caliber. He would have been wasted, and, besides, he's already done such stereotype in 300.

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 1 2013, 8:38am

Post #31 of 94 (380 views)
Shortcut
Well, I haven't seen a single tired or borrowed costume... [In reply to] Can't Post

... only a lot of hard work, and thought, and care brought to bear on creating distinctive looks for a whole new list of characters - distinctive, yet recognisably part of the same world. All that dismissed in a few careless words with a side serving of sarcasm.

So, let's go for the positive. What did you want to see? What does your ideal Bard look like? Hairstyle? Beard, clean shaven? What does he wear? If this one is such a disappointment there must have been something you really wanted to see, mustn't there?

Yngwulff
Gondor

Sep 1 2013, 8:43am

Post #32 of 94 (379 views)
Shortcut
Bard [In reply to] Can't Post

Less dashing yet slightly haggard and weathered, but with an intensity of hidden strength. Luke Evans is OK, but he is not what I pictured and an slightly older actor would seem more appropriate. Hairstyle and color would be of little import.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Anubis
Rivendell

Sep 1 2013, 9:13am

Post #33 of 94 (365 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

I pictured him older, but I am sure that when we see him on-screen he will have his own "flavour".

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 1 2013, 9:27am

Post #34 of 94 (369 views)
Shortcut
I still query this idea of 'dashing' [In reply to] Can't Post

What does it mean to you?

The dictionary definition is 'Spirited, lively, impetuous' or 'Given to cutting a dash, stylish'. To me it implies a glamorous, idealised heroism - Errol Flynn, maybe - all flashing swords and teeth. You could call Legolas in the previous films a bit dashing, or Will Turner. Or, in his own way, Jack Sparrow.

We haven't seen much of Bard yet but so far he he doesn't seem to me to have those qualities - and he does look pretty weathered and scruffy to me - certainly not one who'd bother overmuch about what he looks like, and the little we've seen him say sounded dour and grim. As to age it's a fair point. I suppose I'd pictured Bard as 40s, perhaps. Luke Evans is 34 which may be on the young side - though I suppose they could equally fairly point out that Tolkien doesn't specify his age.

I don't know. On the haggard and weathered aspect I think you might find this Bard fits the bill, but we won't really know until we've seen a lot more of him.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Sep 1 2013, 9:38am

Post #35 of 94 (358 views)
Shortcut
From what we know so far, [In reply to] Can't Post

i think Bard is just fine. I think he looks cool shooting his giant bow, and Luke Evans seemed like a fine, likeable chap in the video blogs. But Bard does bear a striking resemblance to Will Turner. But since i don't really like the PotC films (the first one, the only one i've seen all the way through, was ok i guess, mainly because of Johnny Depp), the simalrity isn't really a problem for me.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Sep 1 2013, 9:39am)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Sep 1 2013, 10:05am

Post #36 of 94 (432 views)
Shortcut
And Benedict Cumberbatch [In reply to] Can't Post

will play The Necromancer as Captain JackAngelicAngelic

KS

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Sep 1 2013, 11:54am

Post #37 of 94 (343 views)
Shortcut
While we're at it... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm surprised no one's commented lately on how much Thranduil's design is reminiscent of Prince Nuada in Hellboy II (minus the white make-up, naturally!) ...I was particularly struck by the resemblance in the clips we've seen of Thranduil with just the silver circlet, and in that gorgeous Japanese-style "dressing gown" overcoat...

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Sep 1 2013, 12:01pm)

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 1 2013, 12:26pm

Post #38 of 94 (320 views)
Shortcut
Prince Nuada who? [In reply to] Can't Post

OK I googled the guy and you are right. That could be leftover from GdT's designs.

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 1 2013, 12:29pm

Post #39 of 94 (319 views)
Shortcut
Dashing means handsome and winsome rolled in one [In reply to] Can't Post

His looks and his manner sweep you off your feet.

Although not described as a hunk in the book, I always imagined he'd be and it was a no brainer that they cast one. No beef with that. Just with making his head look like cut and pasted Turner head. Laugh

Noria
Rohan

Sep 1 2013, 12:37pm

Post #40 of 94 (327 views)
Shortcut
I really doubt that DOS's makeup artists deliberately copied Will Turner's look. [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact I think it almost outside the bounds of possibility.

Nor do I see anything more than a general resemblance between the two characters.

It's not the fault of PJ and his people if we've seen other movies and can't get past associating his actors with other characters. Nor is he to blame if his conception of the characters and other aspects of the movie don't match what we have in our heads.

None of the star actors mentioned in this thread would ever have been cast in these movies. For one thing they're probably too expensive and for another, PJ seems to prefer less well known but very capable actors. I love that about these movies.

And I loved Radagast, aside from the poo and the stick insect.

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 1 2013, 12:53pm

Post #41 of 94 (320 views)
Shortcut
Eh, I find his casting a mixed bag [In reply to] Can't Post

Serviceable to capable actors for sure, but no exciting discoveries. He just doesn't seem to have a knack to pick actors who would go on to have prosperous careers after Middle Earth exposure (that excludes already established careers such as Cate's who came aboard as acclaimed and already known actress, for example). There's really nobody to follow.

sycorax82
Rohan

Sep 1 2013, 1:59pm

Post #42 of 94 (337 views)
Shortcut
The whole of Laketown just screams POTC! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is why Bard's look is like it is. Any shots of Laketown we've seen resemble a few POTC sets, like Tortuga and the Singapore opening to the third film. Peter obviously got jealous watching those films so decided to make his own!! :D

glor
Rohan

Sep 1 2013, 3:52pm

Post #43 of 94 (288 views)
Shortcut
That may be the iconic film curse. [In reply to] Can't Post

Unless you were huge star or, highly respected thesbian before gettin cast as a major character in a classic mega-film and most of the time, you will struggle as an actor to remove yourself from that role and further your career. Mark hamill, Carrie Fisher, Christopher Reeve, Anyone who has played James Bond, with the exception of Sean Connery, Robert Englund, etc etc, in fact it easier to name actors that managed to break free of this curse than it is to name the ones who are still under it's spell. Even Depp has been stuck as Jack Sparrow alike, in most of his post-POTC work, the Mad Hatter, Sweeney Todd etc.

Also, not all actors are interested in a full on movie career, like Viggo, Astin, and Boyd, although Karl Urban and David Wenham have done quite well but they weren't major leading characters but supporting ones.

(This post was edited by glor on Sep 1 2013, 3:53pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 1 2013, 3:53pm

Post #44 of 94 (278 views)
Shortcut
I don't see Will Turner in Bard. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I do see Will Turner in Legolas. Not sure why. Wink

Forgive me, I haven't read the entire thread yet, so you may have already answered this question. How would you have presented Bard, have you got anything specific in your head? Any actors that stick out, or a particular costume?

I'd say film Bard matches by book Bard fairly well. Though it has been slightly influenced by mustache Bard. I don't think film Bard has enough facial hair.

Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 1 2013, 6:28pm

Post #45 of 94 (278 views)
Shortcut
Bard speculation: a bit of a blast from the past [In reply to] Can't Post

I found some of the old casting speculation threads from 4 or 5 years ago:

May 23, 2008

April 13, 2009

and even a Bard poll: http://newboards.theonering.net/...rum.cgi?post=100769;

(I had fun reading back through some of these suggestions. Can you imagine Simon Pegg as Kili? What's interesting is that Richard Armitage seems to be one of those favored for Bard.)

Just some fun speculation, as to how any of these other Bard might-be's would have looked with the shoulder-length hair and 'stache. They might have been not very far off from Luke Evan's look.

(Personally, I don't see Will Turner in Bard, my first impression of him was "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya...", but I've gotten over that...I hope...Tongue)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

marillaraina
Rohan

Sep 1 2013, 7:45pm

Post #46 of 94 (253 views)
Shortcut
Bard [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I found some of the old casting speculation threads from 4 or 5 years ago:

May 23, 2008

April 13, 2009

and even a Bard poll: http://newboards.theonering.net/...rum.cgi?post=100769;

(I had fun reading back through some of these suggestions. Can you imagine Simon Pegg as Kili? What's interesting is that Richard Armitage seems to be one of those favored for Bard.)

Just some fun speculation, as to how any of these other Bard might-be's would have looked with the shoulder-length hair and 'stache. They might have been not very far off from Luke Evan's look.

(Personally, I don't see Will Turner in Bard, my first impression of him was "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya...", but I've gotten over that...I hope...Tongue)

Well I guess all three of them, Orlando Bloom, Luke Evans and Mandy Patinkin, while very good looking, do have that sort of hit in the face with a pan kind of thing going on(kind of smooshed looking noses) so with shoulder dark hair, a tan and a mustache I guess they do have a similar look.

I do kind of wish they'd gone with another look for Bard, not much different, just tweaked a bit to be a little bit less derivative.

IMO, and I love him and think he looks fantastic in shoulder length hair(see Guy of Gisborne Season 3, once he'd had a wash:) but Richard would have looked a bit skeevy adding in a mustache. I've never found 'tache's to work well for him. Hopefully if he'd have gotten the part they'd have left the mustache off. :D

kbdiggity
Rivendell

Sep 1 2013, 11:54pm

Post #47 of 94 (207 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have never once thought any of the pictures of Bard reminded me of a character from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

Then again, I stopped watching those movies after the awful second one. So I suppose they aren't really even on my radar.

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 2 2013, 12:37am

Post #48 of 94 (205 views)
Shortcut
There are more actors who aren't offered big roles [In reply to] Can't Post

than those who aren't interested. Viggo was interested. It's just that expensive Hidalgo flopped and he was already too old to be given another shot. I don't think that anyone ever considered Astin and Boyd for big career.

Some actors just don't have it and ensemble movies populated with stock characters aren't star vehicles in general.

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 2 2013, 12:39am

Post #49 of 94 (199 views)
Shortcut
Great observations [In reply to] Can't Post

Spot on.

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Sep 2 2013, 12:56am

Post #50 of 94 (205 views)
Shortcut
Don't See It [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Luke Evans. Have seen him in a number of things and have enjoyed every performance. He brings his own twist to every performance. So, no, I didn't see any resemblance to Will Turner in Bard's look.

What we may be seeing is that Hollywood has gotten very narrow in what it thinks is a good look for actors and actress and they have a tendency to all look alike these days. Looking back on the big stars of the 30's, 40's and 50's you can see vast differences in how they look. Each was distinct and had his/her own personalities. That is not so true today.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.