Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Watch out, Australia! New Zealand's invading...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Sunflower
Valinor

Aug 31 2013, 2:48pm

Post #26 of 44 (141 views)
Shortcut
LOL. [In reply to] Can't Post

Very entertaining, I wonder if we have any Yorkshire sibs. Now THERE would be a need for a translator siteTongueSmile

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Aug 31 2013, 9:18pm

Post #27 of 44 (123 views)
Shortcut
I'm having enough trouble as it is! ;D // [In reply to] Can't Post

elaen32
Gondor

Aug 31 2013, 9:35pm

Post #28 of 44 (123 views)
Shortcut
Eee oop lass! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, that's all the Yorkshire I can come up with at present and that is probably only said on tv shows. How about a bit of Old Cockney? Have a butcher's at this little lot- I'm going up the apples and pears with a cup of rosie, where I'll put me plates of meat up and have a sit down to rabbit on the dog and bone.

(Translation- Have a look (butcher's hook=look) at this little lot- I'm going upstairs (apples & pears=stairs), with a cup of tea (Rosie Lee =tea), where I'll put my feet (plates of meat= feet) up and have a sit down to chat endlessly on the phone (dog & bone=phone) )

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Aug 31 2013, 9:53pm

Post #29 of 44 (116 views)
Shortcut
Whoa! And a happy [In reply to] Can't Post

"My Fair Lady" to you, too!Cool

(Just wite, 'enry 'iggins.)

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 1 2013, 12:00am

Post #30 of 44 (119 views)
Shortcut
Stop trying to nick the thread, ow! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's just stink bro.
You're a bit of a dag though. Laugh

elaen32
Gondor

Sep 1 2013, 4:39am

Post #31 of 44 (119 views)
Shortcut
Nick the thread? Moi? [In reply to] Can't Post

"Let he who is without sin...." Etc
And I object to being called a dag- especially since I know the derivativion of the term Mad Wink

To atone to Atahuaa, the following question- what happens when NZ and Oz get closer to each other? Do you have to start supporting each others rugby and cricket teams?Crazy Be afraid, be very afraid....Wink

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Sep 1 2013, 10:04am

Post #32 of 44 (109 views)
Shortcut
Oui! Vous!! [In reply to] Can't Post

*puts hands on hips* Birdie and I were hijacking this thread, find ya own ya bludger!! CoolTongue

Heh, we already do that, whenever one of our teams plays the Poms EvilAngelic

I think this is the most Strine I've used in years... Laugh

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

elaen32
Gondor

Sep 1 2013, 10:49am

Post #33 of 44 (102 views)
Shortcut
Strewth!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, blame Sunflower, she started on Yorkshire accents, so I pitched in with Cockney. Prob influenced by seeing some Pearly Kings & Queens at a local folk festival yesterday.
Crazy
I hate to break it to you, but I have come across Kiwis, esp in the rugby world cup, who have supported England against Oz. But that's probably because they think it might be easier to play England than Oz nextUnimpressed I support Wales, myselfAngelic

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Sep 1 2013, 12:02pm

Post #34 of 44 (117 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, ya get ya mongrels in every family Wink

*btw my parents were Poms, so I can speak the pommie lingo too Laugh*

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

Sunflower
Valinor

Sep 1 2013, 7:07pm

Post #35 of 44 (99 views)
Shortcut
So [In reply to] Can't Post

am I guilty of a "hijacking within a hijacking" of this thread? Or would that be a "sub-hijacking" or what?

's bloddy hell. Oh noes.

(No real Yoorkshire lads or lasses. Surprised. I thought TORn was everywhere...or they're just hiding. *Sigh*.)

As for my sports pref...we Yanks don't care about soccer (I mean "football" or rugby) anyways. LOL. So I'll go back to stuffin' me gob and chuckling at all this...

PS Cockney is a very interesting dialect..read much about it. Once I got hold of a source which had a dictionary of late eighteenth-century Cockney underworld slang. WOW. How did the "growler" get to be called that I wonder?
There is a very rich and colorful history regarding American regional dialects, of which only half may survive today due to the influence of TV with its commenators practicing standard mid-Western Yankee. And an even more colorful lexicon of weird American place nmes.

Weird place names...now THERE is something we can talk about! I can even cite a few semi-local ones and their history.

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Sep 1 2013, 7:12pm)

elaen32
Gondor

Sep 1 2013, 8:47pm

Post #36 of 44 (87 views)
Shortcut
Ah, but which Pommie lingo? [In reply to] Can't Post

There are many to choose from- some of which are totally incomprehensible except to those who speak it!Tongue
As for mongrels in families- you disrespectin' me? Or do you mean those Kiwi's who diss on their Aussie neighbours?Wink

Actually, I've always been used to some Oz dialect since my mother spent her teens in Australia (Perth) and retained a lot of "Australianisms" long after, so we grew up with them- but some are obviously new to me!Smile

elaen32
Gondor

Sep 1 2013, 8:57pm

Post #37 of 44 (83 views)
Shortcut
Sorry Sunflower! [In reply to] Can't Post

For dragging you into thisWink And sorry not to be from Yorkshire- I think we do have a couple of Yorkshire people on TORn- but they are not about at the moment.

Re football/soccer- yeah, I'm not a fan either, but rugby is a different matter. Nothing like watching 30+ (depending on which version of rugby) men mud-wrestlingWink

Re dialects- I find them fascinating too- wherever they are. It's interesting what you say about the tv presenters in the US standardising accents. We seem to have the opposite in the UK- at one time only "BBC English" was allowed- which was very stilted. That changed over the years and now there are many regional accents on UK tv and radio. That said, the most common accents in presenters are still probably RP followed by Scottish accents

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 1 2013, 10:10pm

Post #38 of 44 (88 views)
Shortcut
Regarding mongrels, [In reply to] Can't Post

I prefer the term 'genetically diverse'.

Wink

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Sep 2 2013, 1:03am

Post #39 of 44 (72 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

my mum was from the north and my dad was from the south, so I can do quite a few. When you add in hubby, who was from Birmingham, with a half french/half english mother and Scottish father and Irish Step-father Laugh We're a very confused household. Wink

I'm originally from Perth, and to be honest, the Ocker speak isn't that prevalent over here, at least in the south. The western accent is fairly neutral, no-where near as harsh as the eastern. Even though I was born here, I'm still frequently asked which part of England I came from Crazy

And yeah, I was talking about the mongrels in the Aussie/Kiwi family Cool

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Sep 2 2013, 1:06am

Post #40 of 44 (74 views)
Shortcut
Hey Sunny! [In reply to] Can't Post

Why don't you start a thread on that? Weird place names, that could be a lot of fun Laugh

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 2 2013, 5:54am

Post #41 of 44 (68 views)
Shortcut
Poor Ataahua [In reply to] Can't Post

I really don't know what happened to your lovely thread. Something to do with those Aussies I reckon. Angelic

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Sep 2 2013, 6:12am

Post #42 of 44 (67 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, being led astray [In reply to] Can't Post

by a mischievous Kiwi AngelicLaugh

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Sep 3 2013, 2:23am

Post #43 of 44 (58 views)
Shortcut
Do you have any idea how many pages long that could be?! [In reply to] Can't Post

Even if we stuck to English*-speaking nations only, the number of weird-arse or just funny placenames in the U.S. alone is staggering! (Pennsylvania has contributed more than its fair share, and rather famously at that. You're welcome, 13-yr.-olds of all ages everywhere! ;) ;) ) Personally, I enjoy reading British placenames. They make me smile.

* It's English if I say it's English! --- You changed the language! --- No, you did! ;)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Sep 3 2013, 4:10am

Post #44 of 44 (61 views)
Shortcut
Oh yeah :) [In reply to] Can't Post

So you going to join in with Sunny's post?

B-)

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.