Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
So on a numerical scale
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: So on a numerical scale
1-5
5-10
20-30
50-80
100-300
Off the Charts
Too embarrassed to say!
View Results (39 votes)

RangerLady23
Lorien

Aug 28 2013, 5:03pm

Post #1 of 28 (548 views)
Shortcut
So on a numerical scale Can't Post

How big a Tolkien fan are you? Do you eat sleep and walk in Middle-earth? Or just journey there sometimes? Let me know! I am without a doubt off the charts.

CuriousG
Valinor

Aug 28 2013, 5:17pm

Post #2 of 28 (342 views)
Shortcut
Fan = fanatic [In reply to] Can't Post

I regularly petition the US Govt to put a bust of Tolkien on Mt Rushmore. They have put me on a list of "psychologically at risk" people.

I have doused Buckingham Palace with a shower of leaflets to remint all British Pounds with Tolkien's photo in the center. They have snipers on standby if I try again.

I've asked the UN to rename the planet Jupiter after Tolkien. They suggested something about flying a kite.

I am not discouraged. I am devout. I will carry on. But I keep it all in perspective, in case anyone's worried.

malickfan
Gondor

Aug 28 2013, 6:01pm

Post #3 of 28 (324 views)
Shortcut
100-300 [In reply to] Can't Post

Although I'm sure writing a 22,000+ word essay on Cirdan The Shipwright, and being a member of half a dozen internet tolkien forums does mark me as a tad obsessive, I wouldn't exactly call myself a hardcore fan. Tolkien is my fave author (or one of them) and I own a large proportion of his books, but that's really it, I'm not one to dive headfirst into complex reading room discussions on the finer points of Sinadarin, you won't catch me in LOTR fancy dress, I've yet to dive very far into Tolkien's non ME writings or the mountain of scholalry books about him, and though I admire all of the middle earth films, and enjoy PJ's LOTR films immensely I haven't watched any of them in ages, and can't really subscribe to the collecting the different statues school of thought-I don't have the money, and a copy of the hobbit with a different front cover picture is just the same book to me.

So I'd call myself a novice obssesive.

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 28 2013, 6:07pm

Post #4 of 28 (318 views)
Shortcut
Would that be a deep space kite CG? [In reply to] Can't Post

With (dare I guess) a White Tree on it?

That 'psychologically at risk' list sounds like a hoot. We all need to get on it, so we can hang at conventions, lovingly guarded by Secret Service agents.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Aug 28 2013, 6:07pm

Post #5 of 28 (321 views)
Shortcut
i think i'd need [In reply to] Can't Post

some examples next to the numbers... i don't know how to assess the numbers....

cheers --

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 28 2013, 6:11pm

Post #6 of 28 (315 views)
Shortcut
I would say in the 100-300 category [In reply to] Can't Post

I am generally not an obsessive or hobby type person. So Tolkien stands rather alone for me, as I devote many years of love to it. I do foray into the collectibles, though not in an huge way. I do enjoy the films, though I love the texts.

I'm sadly slacking and need to up my game apparently, if one goes by CG's fandom.

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 28 2013, 6:16pm

Post #7 of 28 (320 views)
Shortcut
I wonder what our dear and dangerous friend Fealoki might say [In reply to] Can't Post

Because of course when she picks "off the charts" and says things like "I really enjoy Elves and Dwarves," the context may not be quite the same.

Wink

CuriousG
Valinor

Aug 28 2013, 7:04pm

Post #8 of 28 (297 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, it's cool to have Secret Service agents in your wake in public [In reply to] Can't Post

Makes other people think you're important. I sign lots of autographs.

CuriousG
Valinor

Aug 28 2013, 7:06pm

Post #9 of 28 (303 views)
Shortcut
Well, I don't have a Balrog in my garden, so you trumped me. [In reply to] Can't Post

You even tamed the beast and made him cute and cuddly. You should give Gandalf some advice on how to do that instead of killing them. They're an endangered species, after all!

CuriousG
Valinor

Aug 28 2013, 7:08pm

Post #10 of 28 (302 views)
Shortcut
Being analytical and reflective like that is [In reply to] Can't Post

a good sign you're not psycho-obsessive like me. Good for you! But I won't invite you to any of my Tolkien seances to interview his spirit, just so you know.

sador
Half-elven

Aug 28 2013, 8:03pm

Post #11 of 28 (307 views)
Shortcut
How do you count? From 1 to how much? [In reply to] Can't Post

And more important - is "too embarrassed to say" one who is too much of a fan, or too little?

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 29 2013, 2:32pm

Post #12 of 28 (268 views)
Shortcut
It took a lot of dark chocolate and jalapeno pepper cookies to tame him. [In reply to] Can't Post

Even now I have to chuck one out the door now and then.

Annael
Half-elven

Aug 29 2013, 2:45pm

Post #13 of 28 (287 views)
Shortcut
I don't doubt my family think I am "off the charts" [In reply to] Can't Post

but compared to many here, I'm middlin'.

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Aug 29 2013, 3:02pm

Post #14 of 28 (283 views)
Shortcut
42 [In reply to] Can't Post

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Aug 29 2013, 5:33pm

Post #15 of 28 (258 views)
Shortcut
I won't lie....Off the charts..seriously... [In reply to] Can't Post

My favourite thing about life is Tolkien's works...I unashamedly admit that almost every other thought of mine has something to do with Middle-earth; in many ways that world has played a big role in defining who I myself am as a person. I think that if Tolkien's works were to cease to exist tomorrow that I'd probably lose at least 40% of my interest in life. But I wouldn't have it any other way...I love life this way!

(This post was edited by Radagast-Aiwendil on Aug 29 2013, 5:34pm)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Aug 29 2013, 10:40pm

Post #16 of 28 (248 views)
Shortcut
Not as much as I used to be. [In reply to] Can't Post

After reading LotR every year or two for thirty years, and reading a lot of HoME and several other Tolkien works, and then diving into the movies and TORn during the naughties (the old name for the first decade of a century), I kind of overdosed. I still love Tolkien, of course, but I'm not obsessed anymore. I haven't watched the LotR movies since about 2006, or read the books since then either. I only watched the new Hobbit movie once. Maybe someday the overdose will wear off.

Escapist
Gondor

Aug 29 2013, 10:52pm

Post #17 of 28 (241 views)
Shortcut
What units? [In reply to] Can't Post

hours per week? percent of mind / life consumed? dollars spent per week / month / year?

It makes a huge difference!

I would say:
5 hours per week (although this number has changed considerably over time fluctuating sort of wildly in phases)
82% consumed in mind - 12% consumed in life
$100 per year if there are movies to go to a theater for and buy

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 30 2013, 6:07am

Post #18 of 28 (297 views)
Shortcut
It's all relative, isn't it? [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, I've participated on this message board almost daily for 13 years. I've been a moderator here for a decade. I've not only read the books and watched the movies over and over, I've also read the Sil and a good part of HOME as well as non-Middle-earth books and essays by Tolkien. I have a limited-edition map of a fictional world which is actually a map of a virtual community on my wall (I love the look on peoples' faces when I try to explain that one). I know a lot of interesting people by some very peculiar made-up names and have met a number of them in real life. I speak a subculture vernacular known as TORNspeak fluently - in fact, I wrote the dictionary on it. I have written silly Middle-earth poems and song parodies. I know a ridiculous amount of trivia about an entirely fictional universe and can discuss it extensively. I've sat in long lines with total strangers to see movies at midnight and done an all-day marathon. I have bought the T-shirt. (And the Extended Editions, posters, trading cards and a number of other artifacts.) I have a sword (but not the Ring). I am opinionated about Balrog wings but uncertain about Tom Bombadil. I know better than to laugh at live dragons and I go not to the Elves for advice. I am an honest-to-goodness Tolkien Geek.

But....

Aside from the odd phrase, I don't speak or read Elvish. Or Orkish. Or Dwarvish. I don't have a LOTR-related costume. I've never been to a con, or a premiere. I have never written a fanfic. I do not do fan art. I do not have a Tolkien-themed tattoo. I do not have a very extensive Tolkien library. I have not done any scholarly research. I do not have any background in Middle English or mythology. I have not traveled to England to see Tolkien sites or New Zealand to see movie sites. I do not have any pets with Tolkien names. I do not collect figurines or jewelry or weaponry. I don't knit. I'm a moderate rather than a purist. I'm not a member of a Tolkien Society smial. I don't eat, sleep and breathe Tolkien, and I have plenty of other interests, some of which I consider to be far more important. This is my hobby, not my lifestyle.

In the end, I guess I don't really care about trying to quantify my fandom level because I'm having fun. Cool

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Aug 31 2013, 9:21am

Post #19 of 28 (258 views)
Shortcut
I'd probably be sitting pretty on 43... [In reply to] Can't Post

...no, I'd be in the 50-80 zone. Smile

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Aug 31 2013, 8:59pm

Post #20 of 28 (197 views)
Shortcut
I'll have to say Off The Charts [In reply to] Can't Post

...although I would like to point out that there are *many* different ways of going off the charts and that I tend to try and keep myself to the sane parts of the deep end. Laugh (Which, I know, sounds like an oxymoron, but bear with me.)

So, no speaking Sindarin, Quenya, or Khuzdul for me. No tattoo, no conventions, no trips to NZ (although that would be nice... *sigh*).

However, Middle-earth is my first and greatest love. I've come to see it as the fictional universe where my heart is most at home. How can I desert such a wonderful place?

Patty
Immortal

Aug 31 2013, 9:52pm

Post #21 of 28 (220 views)
Shortcut
Not as big as I used to be... [In reply to] Can't Post

And certainly not as big as I was when I first read it he books or when I first saw the Lord of the rings movies. I think enthusiasm has died out a little bit. But I would still put myself in the middling range with Annael. After all, I haven't brought myself to throw away any of my souvenirs yet. But by the same token I don't rush to hear every bit of news like I did when fellowship was about to be released.

demnation
Rohan

Sep 1 2013, 6:04am

Post #22 of 28 (183 views)
Shortcut
Formerly off the charts [In reply to] Can't Post

Now probably in the 50-80 range. As I've gotten a little older (and a tad wiser) my enthusiasm has been quelled a little. Still, I consider Tolkien the most important (fiction) author in my life and my interest in the man and his work is one of the very few things I've carried with me into adulthood.

demnation
Rohan

Sep 1 2013, 6:05am

Post #23 of 28 (227 views)
Shortcut
That sounds... [In reply to] Can't Post

a bit like me, really! Thanks for putting all that down so I didn't have to! Wink

Nira
Lorien

Sep 1 2013, 6:03pm

Post #24 of 28 (243 views)
Shortcut
IDK, but I post on here, so that's more than most// [In reply to] Can't Post

Arandir
Gondor

Sep 4 2013, 5:53pm

Post #25 of 28 (143 views)
Shortcut
Borderline for me [In reply to] Can't Post

It has to be between 100-300 and Off the Charts for me. Everyday I'm thinking about anything related to Middle-earth and I go over bits and pieces from the films and text in my head (unless I'm not watching them or reading the books!) on a daily basis ... and often day-dream.

But I'm also able to distinguish between reality and fantasy Laugh

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.