Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Black Arrow

Snaga
Lorien

Aug 30 2013, 7:42pm

Views: 711
Shortcut
The Black Arrow Can't Post

This might seem silly to some, but since I read The Hobbit as a young boy I have often wondered about the “Black Arrow” used by Bard to kill Smaug. From what little Tolkien wrote of it in the book it is clearly an heirloom of the line of Girion, passed down to Bard. Bard mentioned that he had used it in the past, always retrieving it afterwards. Bard also said it had been handed down by his forefathers, so I suppose we could reasonably assume some of Bard’s forefathers carried, used and recovered the Black Arrow in the same fashion.

I think an argument could also be made that while it was not specifically mentioned, the Black Arrow benefits from some sort of enchantment or magical properties.

At times I’ve thought that the Black Arrow would make a really cool centerpiece in a short series of graphic novels or comics, with each issue detailing a minor adventure or lifetime of adventures by one of Bard’s ancestors. Sort of a window into the history of Dale and the House of Girion as seen from the perspective of the Black Arrow.

But for the purpose of this post; what, if any, backstory on the Black Arrow will be covered in the movies? Will PJ stick close to the book and Bard’s passing comment suggesting that the Black Arrow is special, but no more? Or do you think they will actually spend a little screen time and give the Black Arrow something of a history?

* Note- This is sort of a rehash of a post I made a year or two ago, but I wanted to bring it up again because there are so many new people on the boards, and because as I recall last time I made the mistake of posting around Comic Con time and it flew off the first page so fast. I would be very interested in reading what people think will happen, based on what we've seen so far in AUJ.

"Alas for Boromir! It was too sore a trial!"

-Faramir

Subject User Time
The Black Arrow Snaga Send a private message to Snaga Aug 30 2013, 7:42pm
    there have been rumors Sinister71 Send a private message to Sinister71 Aug 30 2013, 7:46pm
        Yeah Faleel Send a private message to Faleel Aug 30 2013, 8:27pm
        The rumours have been around for quite some time ... it's in the book ... DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Aug 30 2013, 8:28pm
            i meant as far as being shown in the film... Sinister71 Send a private message to Sinister71 Aug 30 2013, 8:47pm
            I should have said rumored Sinister71 Send a private message to Sinister71 Aug 30 2013, 9:15pm
    History of The Hobbit vexx801 Send a private message to vexx801 Aug 30 2013, 10:36pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.