Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Curious...could someone build Minas Tirith?

Misty Mountain Hop
Rivendell

Aug 29 2013, 3:24pm

Post #1 of 10 (480 views)
Shortcut
Curious...could someone build Minas Tirith? Can't Post

Obviously, this idea seems pretty rediculous. I'm sure there are copyrights etc in place and there's no point to it, but wouldn't it be amazing if someone funded it and people actually reconstructed Minas Tirith brick for brick from the movie?

It could be an amazing tourist attraction, and even a place for certain people to stay (hotel, lodge...)

Just throwing the idea out there. It would be cool to see something like this get made in real life.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 29 2013, 8:40pm

Post #2 of 10 (246 views)
Shortcut
I haven't heard of a construction design being copyrighted. [In reply to] Can't Post

I doubt you'd be able to call it Minas Tirith, but it you had money and time to burn then I guess anything's possible.

I wouldn't like to live there though: Little room for home gardens, and at some point of the day your home would be in shadow from that whacking great prow of stone that bissects the city. (Unless you live in the Citadel, of course.)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Aug 29 2013, 8:59pm

Post #3 of 10 (252 views)
Shortcut
Do we have dimensions? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is we went with concrete, it would get expensive really fast, especially if you were building it from the ground UP. The Numenorians had a mountain to start, so if you wanted to be AUTHENTIC, you'd have to buy a mountain.

Personally, I love the idea!!

CuriousG
Valinor

Aug 30 2013, 12:12am

Post #4 of 10 (220 views)
Shortcut
Travel [In reply to] Can't Post

Beyond a daydream, I never felt the urge to travel to NZ to see the filming sites for the movies. But, if someone built a full-scale Minas Tirith, I'd seriously consider traveling there no matter where in the world it was. It would be a real drag to get there, however, and see a Ferris Wheel and postcards for sale. *sigh*

dik-dik
Lorien

Aug 30 2013, 7:44am

Post #5 of 10 (236 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps in a theme park... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and on a smaller scale, but if such a theme park existed I'd be seriously considering visiting it if I ever had the money. I don't think the entire huge structure would be possible to build, but even a small version would be quite an experience, and perfectly creatable. I saw cities resembling Minas Tirith in style (though not in the height levels of course) in Croatia.

"A journalist once asked me what I would like my epitaph to be and I said I think I would like it to be 'He did very little harm'. And that's not easy. Most people seem to me to do a great deal of harm. If I could be remembered as having done very little, that would suit me." ~ Paul Eddington

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 30 2013, 2:54pm

Post #6 of 10 (196 views)
Shortcut
Ooooo! And a Mirkwood barrel ride! [In reply to] Can't Post

M&P Uruk-hai Piggyback Ride.
Roll Down Farmer Maggot's Hill
Anduin White Water Ride.
Moria Runaway Mine Cart
Parachute Drop From the Argonath
Steward Fire Bungie Jump
The Balrog Rollercoaster Plunge
Fell Beast Ride
Bill the Pony Merry-Go-Round
One Ring Spinnaker.
Swan Boat Kiddie Ride
Minas Tirith Seven Level Rollercoaster
Shadowfax Virtual Ride
Orthanc Eagle Ride
Lembas Nachos
Cram on a Stick
Bag of Fried Mushrooms
Iced Entdraught
Slushie Miruvor

I'd be so there!!

“That hobbit has a pleasant face,
His private life is a disgrace.
I really could not tell to you,
The awful things that hobbits do.”

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Aug 30 2013, 3:40pm

Post #7 of 10 (188 views)
Shortcut
Tell ya what.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll build it I'd ever I become rich and famous. Promise.

Now....who has placement suggestions?

Spaldron
Rivendell

Aug 30 2013, 5:11pm

Post #8 of 10 (184 views)
Shortcut
You'd need serious money. [In reply to] Can't Post

And a mountain to build it against. Plus if you were to be authentic you'd have to build it out of stone, instead of a modern steel frame which would probably be easier and cheaper. It's doable though. Just give it a few years till some Chinese or Arab billionaire decides to have a go of it.

"A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities."

Nira
Lorien

Aug 30 2013, 11:34pm

Post #9 of 10 (170 views)
Shortcut
I would buy a lifetime pass if a park had those rides! [In reply to] Can't Post

Should be "Stybba the Pony Merry-Go-Round" because...Merry! Heart
The Uruk-hai ride should have a free syrup drink with it Tongue
The barrel ride is a must!

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

CuriousG
Valinor

Sep 2 2013, 11:30pm

Post #10 of 10 (152 views)
Shortcut
Some perhaps unintentional good ideas [In reply to] Can't Post

Moria Runaway Mine Cart -- I actually think of this every time I watch the movie! That would be a blast.

Parachute Drop From the Argonath -- If it meant jumping off the real mountains where they were supposed to be--and the statues were really there--sure!

Lembas Nachos -- nachos in leaf wrap would be interesting to see.

Cram on a Stick -- an honest description of any theme park's food.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.