Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The spouse of Bard?

boldog
Rohan

Aug 28 2013, 8:44am

Post #1 of 21 (784 views)
Shortcut
The spouse of Bard? Can't Post

here is something I wanted to discuss for a while, and finally remembered!
Will we get any hint at the spouse of Bard in these next films? Perhaps, her absence is the reason, for him being of grim nature. Maybe she died, from famine under the masters corrupt rule, or was killed by someone? But surely seeing that Bain is only a young child in these films, something has to be mentioned of her. Maybe Bain might ask, what happened to his mother, and Bard wont tell him, until the final film before the bo5a, and Bard tells him, but it is something very bad and makes audiences feel very sorry for him.
anyways what do you all think of this? do you have any other possibilities to add.?
What will Bard be known as? Bard, or Bard son of--------, or Bard descendant of girion?

"fingolfin looked up in grief to see what evil morgoth had done to maedhros"

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 28 2013, 4:14pm

Post #2 of 21 (323 views)
Shortcut
Tauriel [In reply to] Can't Post

Why he's grim: "I do *not* choose a mortal life!"

Once Gandalf dreamt he was a moth, a moth flitting and fluttering around, happy with himself and doing as he pleased. He didn't know he was Gandalf. Suddenly he woke up and there he was, solid and unmistakably Gandalf. But he didn't know if he was Gandalf who had dreamt he was a moth, or a moth dreaming he was Gandalf. Between Gandalf and a moth there must be some distinction! But really, there isn't, because he's actually Olórin dreaming he's both Gandalf *and* a moth!
-From Gandalfi: The Moth Dream

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Aug 28 2013, 4:18pm)

Arandir
Gondor

Aug 28 2013, 4:54pm

Post #3 of 21 (312 views)
Shortcut
In the latest Empire Interview *spoilers?* [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems that Tauriel will "revive" a Lake-town woman after its destruction - could this possibly be Bard's wife/companion, mother of Bain? Unimpressed

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 28 2013, 5:32pm

Post #4 of 21 (263 views)
Shortcut
Unlikely, as the EMPIRE article actually says: [In reply to] Can't Post

[..] Tauriel - a young Silvn elf - resuscitated a dying human girl with a liquid burst of elvish [..]

The operative word is "girl", rather than woman. Still, it could be Bard's daughter. Wink

Arandir
Gondor

Aug 28 2013, 5:35pm

Post #5 of 21 (236 views)
Shortcut
Ah, missed that thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Unless it's a flashback during Smaug's attack on Dale and the girl turns out to be Bard's wife after all Laugh (who knows ... Crazy)

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 28 2013, 5:42pm

Post #6 of 21 (240 views)
Shortcut
What Peter Jackson needs to do is ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Make the dying girls story absolutely heartbreaking, so that every single person in the cinema is crying their eyes out. That way, when Tauriel skips along to save her, we instantly fall in love with Tauriel. Legolas might be able to surf down Smaug's neck, but there's only one Elf who can save that little girl. Even the most vocal Tolkien purist wouldn't deny that girl life. AngelicLaugh

Arandir
Gondor

Aug 28 2013, 5:58pm

Post #7 of 21 (223 views)
Shortcut
But will the talking purse make an apperance here? [In reply to] Can't Post

... could prove a useful accessory to the whole scene ... (sry brought up the topic againSly

malickfan
Gondor

Aug 28 2013, 6:07pm

Post #8 of 21 (207 views)
Shortcut
Maybe the purse is Bard's spouse... [In reply to] Can't Post

That would explain his grim persona (couldn't find a real woman) and explain both why Frodo didn't discover the purse in Trollshaws. and it wasn't seen in AUJ-it somehow ends up at Laketown and Bard is struck by its beauty and arranges a quicky marriage...

Or perhaps not.Wink

The Thorin: An Unexpected Rewrite, December 2012
The Tauriel: Desolation of Canon, December 2013
The Radagast: 'Gandalf are we there yet?' December 2014

The Young Aragron Chronicles parts 1,2,3 and 4 coming Christmas 2017,2018,2019 and 2020 IN 4-D Smell-o-vision.

Azog's Summer Vacation Parts 1-12 coming to ABC Fall 2016.

All based on THE APPENDICES.

The Talking Purse is Awesome, deal with it.

Arandir
Gondor

Aug 28 2013, 6:10pm

Post #9 of 21 (210 views)
Shortcut
That would actually work very well ... [In reply to] Can't Post

there is yet hope of a cameo! Wink

malickfan
Gondor

Aug 28 2013, 6:15pm

Post #10 of 21 (203 views)
Shortcut
Or better yet 'Alfirid' is the purse is disguise... [In reply to] Can't Post

Working from the inside to bring Laketown's corrupt rulers down and earn a slice of Erebor's hoard as a reward.

As you said Until the massive ultimate big box set in 2015/16 I'm not giving up hope that a cameo was filmed or considered at some point...

Wink

The Young Aragron Chronicles parts 1,2,3 and 4 coming Christmas 2017,2018,2019 and 2020 IN 4-D Smell-o-vision.

Arandir
Gondor

Aug 28 2013, 6:20pm

Post #11 of 21 (203 views)
Shortcut
Haha! Actually ... [In reply to] Can't Post

how about a fan-made script incorporating the talking purse's background history and purpose in the whole history of The Hobbit and the War of the Ring?

I'm sure there's an avid audience out there, ready to feed on anything associated with it ...

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 28 2013, 6:34pm

Post #12 of 21 (204 views)
Shortcut
Can you imagine the talk show headlines: [In reply to] Can't Post

"Why deny paternity just because the baby is a purse?"
"I'm a man, that's a purse. Can this relationship work?"

And

"How can I be the baby's Dad when I'm not Cockney".

Laugh

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Aug 28 2013, 6:46pm

Post #13 of 21 (185 views)
Shortcut
Maybe the purse has changed owners? [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe it can cameo as the Master's? Using this purse for his ill-gotten gains?

malickfan
Gondor

Aug 28 2013, 6:48pm

Post #14 of 21 (191 views)
Shortcut
Well, I have some amateur experience with writing scripts... [In reply to] Can't Post

...But I think 'avid audience' *Me and Daniel* is stretching it a bit.

Perhaps this could be a group project for TORn-we are unlikely to get a Fall of Gondolin film so why not reshape it from the purse's perspective for out own amusement-People always question where the swaords came from, yet no-one questions how three idiotic trolls have managed to fashion a magical sentient purse.

Mark my words that's where Tolkien was truly heading with 'Of Tuor and The Fall of Gondolin'.

Wink

Arandir
Gondor

Aug 28 2013, 7:04pm

Post #15 of 21 (178 views)
Shortcut
You see [In reply to] Can't Post

the script is already taking shape! Tongue

Arandir
Gondor

Aug 28 2013, 7:05pm

Post #16 of 21 (171 views)
Shortcut
Couldn't have said it better [In reply to] Can't Post

People always question where the swaords came from, yet no-one questions how three idiotic trolls have managed to fashion a magical sentient purse.

Yup ... there's more to Tolkien than meets the eye Wink

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Aug 28 2013, 7:39pm

Post #17 of 21 (176 views)
Shortcut
The Purse Belonged to Bard's Wife [In reply to] Can't Post

It was an artifact of Dale and her favorite possession. That is why Bard is so grim. By the way, couldn't she still be alive?

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Aug 28 2013, 8:23pm

Post #18 of 21 (157 views)
Shortcut
Speaking of the purse and Dale [In reply to] Can't Post

wasn't there a scene in the last Vlog of Ori finding a purse or something in the burned out Dale? I remember seeing something like that maybe its just hopeful thinking that Jackson realized the errors of his ways and found a way to write the purse back in Wink

morro91
Bree

Aug 28 2013, 9:01pm

Post #19 of 21 (141 views)
Shortcut
Removing the purse [In reply to] Can't Post

was not an error of his way, not that what happened in the film was good either, but talking purse, I'm glad wasn't in the film.

Though I have the feeling this has been discussed umpteen times before, so enough said.

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Aug 29 2013, 5:31am

Post #20 of 21 (106 views)
Shortcut
The Purse Backstory + Ending of Story Arc [In reply to] Can't Post

Scene 1: AUJ Extended Edition; Bilbo and Elrond are alone on the balcony. Bilbo summons his courage to ask about...the purse he stole from the trolls. Having heard about Orcrist and Glamdring, he is curious...

ELROND: "This is "Prada"! A purse made by my ancestors, the High Elves of Gondolin, in the very first Goblin War-- the one where they were simply sharp enough to just bribe the goblins to go away!

BILBO: "I will wear it with pride! And to think, my mother used to say I couldn't accessorize with a darn!"

Scene 2: From "There and Back Again". Bilbo and Gandalf arrive back in Rivendell

ELROND: "I see you have worn the purse with with pride, Mr. Baggins. Come, let our smiths carve the runes "Prada" into the leather. Oh and by the way, those guys are great; it won't look anything like a Chinese knock-off."

BILBO: "Um...okay, but...do you think we could change it to "Louis Vuitton"? A lot better resale value these days."

ELROND: "Yeah, whatever. Just don't ask us to change it to "Stella McCartney". We don't want this scene to be Over The Top, right?"

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

Arandir
Gondor

Aug 29 2013, 6:58am

Post #21 of 21 (83 views)
Shortcut
Already loving it! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is turning out to be a ground-breaking backstory ...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.