Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
TH:AUJ SEE: New DVD artwork details (digipak design)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

TheHutt
Gondor

Aug 26 2013, 10:56am

Post #1 of 41 (1830 views)
Shortcut
TH:AUJ SEE: New DVD artwork details (digipak design) Can't Post

Now this I call nice. Almost as good as the LOTR SEE foldout digipaks, though there seems to be no booklet pocket.

Also, by zooming in you can finally see how the film is split on 5 DVDs.
- 2 DVDs with the film
- 2 DVDs with Appendices, Part 7 (split on 2 DVDs)
- 1 DVD with Appendices, Part 8

Russian LOTR & Hobbit Site: Henneth-Annun.ru

Shagrat
Gondor

Aug 26 2013, 10:59am

Post #2 of 41 (843 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't see why the Blu-ray won't be like that as well.

(This post was edited by Shagrat on Aug 26 2013, 11:01am)

Arandir
Gondor

Aug 26 2013, 11:05am

Post #3 of 41 (831 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder how the standard DVD package will look - hopefully, it'll contain the same style and artwork as this one - it would really match the LOTR EEs ... Angelic

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

TheHutt
Gondor

Aug 26 2013, 11:08am

Post #4 of 41 (885 views)
Shortcut
The UK DVD artwork does look like the proper design... [In reply to] Can't Post

...however, it is not clear yet if it's just an amaray keep case.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Aug 26 2013, 11:55am

Post #5 of 41 (788 views)
Shortcut
Lovely – if we get something like this for the UK I will be very well pleased! [In reply to] Can't Post

It would match my LOTR DVDs. There should also be a booklet pocket, though.

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 26 2013, 12:07pm

Post #6 of 41 (792 views)
Shortcut
Artwork [In reply to] Can't Post

I am glad they are using the artwork similar to the LOTR EE. I love that stuff.

Thranderz
Rohan

Aug 26 2013, 12:15pm

Post #7 of 41 (758 views)
Shortcut
Beggars can't be choosers! [In reply to] Can't Post

And we are the beggars Wink

I simply walked into Mordor.

TheHutt
Gondor

Aug 26 2013, 12:56pm

Post #8 of 41 (776 views)
Shortcut
I tried to decipher the side text: [In reply to] Can't Post

"Welcome to the Extended Edition of
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.
[.. This 5?] disc Special Edition represents the movie
[..] offering to date of the first part of
[.. mo?]vie trilogy. In the Appendices Parts 7
[.. wit?]ness Peter Jackson and his filmmaking
[.. con?]tinuing a journey into Middle-earth
[..bega?]n with the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
[..]ry in-depth footage will take you inside
[..]ing of this new adventure."

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 26 2013, 1:29pm

Post #9 of 41 (715 views)
Shortcut
outstanding. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope for the same or similar for Germany. Though I like the DVD cover much more.

“A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of men’s imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.” J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Aug 26 2013, 1:29pm

Post #10 of 41 (697 views)
Shortcut
Yes – but if you don't ask, you don't get. [In reply to] Can't Post

(Although you may not get even if you ask!) Unimpressed

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Aug 26 2013, 1:30pm

Post #11 of 41 (706 views)
Shortcut
Yummy [In reply to] Can't Post

And I clicked right away and pre-ordered. Can't wait. Looks like it will fit beautifully next to my LOTR EE's.

Welsh hero
Gondor

Aug 26 2013, 1:57pm

Post #12 of 41 (689 views)
Shortcut
Hope the UK one is like that [In reply to] Can't Post

right now seems like a normal dvd case

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Hobbit-Unexpected-Journey-Extended/dp/B00DY648GY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377525360&sr=8-1&keywords=The+hobbit+extended+edition

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

burgahobbit
Rohan

Aug 26 2013, 2:41pm

Post #13 of 41 (651 views)
Shortcut
That looks great! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wouldn't have it any other way. Even if its different, I think the Carrock artwork actually adds to the otherwise completely LOTR-esque packaging.

"I don't mean to be blunt but I felt I had to speak my mind, I'm sorry." - Bilbo Baggins.
"Apology accepted." - Balin.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Aug 26 2013, 2:51pm

Post #14 of 41 (659 views)
Shortcut
not bad [In reply to] Can't Post

but I like the front cover of the UK one better it matches the LOTR EE much better IMO Wink

(This post was edited by sinister71 on Aug 26 2013, 2:52pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 26 2013, 3:24pm

Post #15 of 41 (606 views)
Shortcut
Yap... [In reply to] Can't Post

... today I also finally pre-ordered the German EE (with the Riddles statue in the nice box, have to get the LotR EE boxes in my shelves again... and still loving my Argonath holders).

Seeing what kind of crap WB practically forces onto customers in several ways (LotRO, Flixster - especially for Tablets and Phones -, the extra-free DVDs, etc.), I am really glad someone seems to have persuaded them that the EEs have to basically stay the same... yes, especially the missing commentaries are sad, but I was afraid the whole thing would completely change in style compared to the LotR EEs. This, however, does not seem to be the case. Thankfully.

“A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of men’s imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.” J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Aug 26 2013, 3:26pm)

Arandir
Gondor

Aug 26 2013, 5:49pm

Post #16 of 41 (569 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm hopefully [In reply to] Can't Post

it's the same inside as the blu-ray artwork you posted ... Smile

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Aug 26 2013, 5:56pm

Post #17 of 41 (556 views)
Shortcut
i'm pretty sure they will still split the film into 2 discs on bluray [In reply to] Can't Post

since they split all the LOTR's EE's on bluray.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

burgahobbit
Rohan

Aug 26 2013, 6:00pm

Post #18 of 41 (574 views)
Shortcut
Does anyone have any idea [In reply to] Can't Post

What the second Appendice Part 7 disc is? Is it the Ultraviolet? If so, why did they call it the Appendices Part 7? It seems weird to me that Part 7 is on two discs and that there is no visible ultraviolet.

"I don't mean to be blunt but I felt I had to speak my mind, I'm sorry." - Bilbo Baggins.
"Apology accepted." - Balin.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 26 2013, 6:08pm

Post #19 of 41 (543 views)
Shortcut
I don't think they split LotR into two blu-ray discs because of file size... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it could have been for other reasons, such as PJ's commentary making reference to "switching discs" toward the end of disc one on each film. This would be weird on a single disc edition.

DjU
Lorien

Aug 26 2013, 6:16pm

Post #20 of 41 (543 views)
Shortcut
Appendices [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
What the second Appendice Part 7 disc is? Is it the Ultraviolet? If so, why did they call it the Appendices Part 7? It seems weird to me that Part 7 is on two discs and that there is no visible ultraviolet.

The Second Appendices Part 7 disc is, well the second Appendices Part 7 disc.

Clearly the Appendices Part 7 is a little too long to fit on one DVD - weather this is due to there being more than around 3 hours of Docs (Unlikely) or if when coupled with all the images and various extra pre-production archives its a little too big to fit comfortably (more likely)

The Blu-Ray obviously doesn't suffer from this as there is more available storage space and as such only needs one disc.

The Ultraviolet copy will surely just be a piece of paper with a download code like the other releases? It doesn't need a seperate disc. Companies seem to have moved away from digital copies on a disc. The Theatrical release was just a code.

(This post was edited by DjU on Aug 26 2013, 6:18pm)

DjU
Lorien

Aug 26 2013, 6:26pm

Post #21 of 41 (525 views)
Shortcut
It won't be split on 2D Blu Ray [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
since they split all the LOTR's EE's on bluray.

AUJ:EE will not be split in 2D Blu-Ray as the (US) 2D BluRay is a 3 disc set. 1 = Film / 1 = App. Part 7 / 1 = App. Part 8

The movie will be split on the 3D Blu Ray as that is an 5 disc set. 2 = Film 3D / 1 = Film 2D / 1 = App. Part 7 / 1 = App. Part 8

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Aug 26 2013, 6:28pm

Post #22 of 41 (517 views)
Shortcut
exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

he Ultraviolet copy will surely just be a piece of paper with a download code like the other releases? It doesn't need a seperate disc. Companies seem to have moved away from digital copies on a disc. The Theatrical release was just a code.

At least the last few BR disks I have bought were that way including The Hobbit AUJ.. I would assume more cost effective

DjU
Lorien

Aug 26 2013, 6:49pm

Post #23 of 41 (498 views)
Shortcut
Indeed. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

he Ultraviolet copy will surely just be a piece of paper with a download code like the other releases? It doesn't need a seperate disc. Companies seem to have moved away from digital copies on a disc. The Theatrical release was just a code.

At least the last few BR disks I have bought were that way including The Hobbit AUJ.. I would assume more cost effective

Just went back and double checked the Press Release. The UV will indeed be a code like normal, infact it'll likely be emailed a copy of it long before you get the disc.

The Blu-ray 3D, Blu-ray and DVD all include UltraVioletTM which allows consumers to download and instantly stream the Extended Edition in high definition to a wide range of devices including computers and compatible tablets, smartphones, game consoles, Internet-connected TVs and Blu-ray players.*

Fans of Middle-earth will have the opportunity to gain a broader experience of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, from Academy Award®-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson, when the epic fantasy adventure is released as an Extended Edition on Digital Download October 22nd and on Blu-ray 3D, Blu-ray and DVD on November 5th from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment (WBHE).

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Aug 26 2013, 7:55pm

Post #24 of 41 (474 views)
Shortcut
yes they did... [In reply to] Can't Post

i own the LOTR's EE's on bluray and each film is split into two like the dvd's.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Aug 26 2013, 11:02pm

Post #25 of 41 (405 views)
Shortcut
yes, [In reply to] Can't Post

and QuackingTroll said just that :)

Vocalist in the progressive metal band 5 Minutes Late
and the progressive doom rock band Mater Thallium

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.