The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
SCOD: Minas Tirith

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Aug 26 2013, 3:56pm

Post #1 of 4 (389 views)
Shortcut
SCOD: Minas Tirith Can't Post

Mae Govannen, mellon nîn, to another Screencap of the Day.

Here’s the image:

You can find the full-sized image here.

As you all are well aware of, this scene is where Gandalf and Pippin arrive in Minas Tirith. I chose this picture because this is one of those well-known images for the 'Return of the King' posters.

As always, feel free to answer any or all the questions.

1. What was your reaction when you saw this for the first time?

2. Was this how you had imagined the White City to look like?

3. What do you think about the composition of the image?

4. What do you think about the colours and what they symbolise?

....."Loyalty, Honor,
......A Willing Heart.
I can ask no more than that."

.... ~ Thorin Oakenshield

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 26 2013, 7:39pm

Post #2 of 4 (246 views)
Shortcut
"The land and the king are one!" "One what?" [In reply to] Can't Post

-Terry Pratchett, Wyrd Sisters

1. What was your reaction when you saw this for the first time?

Nice wedding cake.

2. Was this how you had imagined the White City to look like?

This is a lot more realistic.

3. What do you think about the composition of the image?

The New Three Hunters (Gandalf, Pippin, and Shadowfax) are standing (or, to be literal, are trotting) protectively between Minas Tirith and Mordor.

4. What do you think about the colours and what they symbolise?

The land is brown. Denethor would seem to be The Fisher King, though in fact he is The Fisher Steward. Wait’ll Elessar the Green gets here!

Once Gandalf dreamt he was a moth, a moth flitting and fluttering around, happy with himself and doing as he pleased. He didn't know he was Gandalf. Suddenly he woke up and there he was, solid and unmistakably Gandalf. But he didn't know if he was Gandalf who had dreamt he was a moth, or a moth dreaming he was Gandalf. Between Gandalf and a moth there must be some distinction! But really, there isn't, because he's actually Olórin dreaming he's both Gandalf *and* a moth!
-From Gandalfi: The Moth Dream

Swingcatpdx
The Shire

Aug 26 2013, 9:41pm

Post #3 of 4 (233 views)
Shortcut
Minas Tirith [In reply to] Can't Post

It looks old, run down, decrepit, falling apart, severely in need of cleaning and maintenance.........like the manager has given up and no longer cares about it's condition.

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Aug 27 2013, 5:17pm

Post #4 of 4 (210 views)
Shortcut
I like how the light hits it... [In reply to] Can't Post

(1) "Wow..."

(2) I'm fairly sure I saw a picture of Minas Tirith before I read the books, so... yeah... the movies sort of colored my imagination all along.

(3) - (4) Gandalf and Shadowfax seem whiter than the majority of Minas Tirith. He is now the White Wizard, bringing light to a city shortly about to fall under the darkness of Sauron. As of now, Minas Tirith seems more gray than white, symbolizing how it has fallen from its former Numenorean glory. I may just be reading way too much into this, but I like how the white light falls on the Citadel of the city and (I think) upon Rath Dinen and all the burial places on Mount Mindolluin - isn't the seedling of the White Tree somewhere upon the mountain there? Hope still lies in the blood of the kings... A king, and light, shall return to Minas Tirith.

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.