Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
What material would you like to see PJ and Crew do after The Hobbit?
Poll: What material would you like to see PJ and Crew do after The Hobbit?
The Silmarillion
The Troy Trilogy of novels by David Gemmell
The Temeraire series of novels by Naomi Novik (of which PJ already has film rights)
Episode VIII of Star Wars
One of the Star Wars character movies in between the Episodes
A comic book hero movie (Marvel or DC Comics)
A non-fantasy drama
An animation film
View Results (44 votes)

Nuradar
Rohan

Aug 23 2013, 6:45pm

Post #1 of 23 (461 views)
Shortcut
What material would you like to see PJ and Crew do after The Hobbit? Can't Post

My vote is the Troy Trilogy by David Gemmell. Although, to be fair, I have not read the Temeraire books and I hear they are great. What say you?

Nuradar

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 23 2013, 7:09pm

Post #2 of 23 (258 views)
Shortcut
I've just begun reading Temeraire. [In reply to] Can't Post

And so far, so good. The relationship between Laurance and Temeraire is very heartwarming. I'm only a quarter of the way through, so there hasn't been any action yet. I can see it making a great film. And if PJ gets WETA involved, the dragons will look spectacular.

malickfan
Gondor

Aug 23 2013, 9:29pm

Post #3 of 23 (248 views)
Shortcut
His Long rumoured film about The Gallipoli Landings [In reply to] Can't Post

Before he took over The Hobbit, he had talked about doing a an epic war film based on the famous WW1 campaign, a watershed moment for New Zeland (who's role was virtually ignored in the 1981 film) and quite personal to Jackson (his grandfather fought there) he was supposedly planning on shooting in in time for the 100th anniversay in 2015 (which ain't happening for obvious reasons). but nothing was ever really annoucned beyond his desire to do it.

It would be a great, rather risky change of page for Jackson, and potentially a return to his lower budgeted (in relatie terms-everything looks small next to the hobbit) more plot driven films (I'm a bick fan of his three '90's films), and I'd love to see a decent modern film on WW1.

As for The Silmarillion-MadMadMad

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 23 2013, 9:49pm

Post #4 of 23 (256 views)
Shortcut
JLA. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I read he's going to do another fantasy trilogy, the Hungry City Chroinicles, by Philip Reeve. Supposedly WETA is aleady doing preliminary work for the first book, Mortal Engines.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Aug 24 2013, 12:46am

Post #5 of 23 (223 views)
Shortcut
Another poll missing the "Other" option! [In reply to] Can't Post

The Justice League Dark project (Dark Universe?) is all well-and-good; however, you forgot about PJ possibly directing a Doctor Who episode. Also, what about his film adaptaion of Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness?

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 24 2013, 1:24am

Post #6 of 23 (223 views)
Shortcut
The Dambusters. [In reply to] Can't Post

So much pre-production work has been done on it and I really want to see PJ produce a war film, given his love for war movies.

Cuwen Maegmacil
Rivendell

Aug 24 2013, 3:56pm

Post #7 of 23 (206 views)
Shortcut
The Silmarillion!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Who wouldn't?!?!?!Smile
I think he should stay away from Star Wars and Marvel. Those fandoms have been established and should probably be helmed by someone like J.J. Abrams. P.J. should stick to Tolkien.

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Aug 24 2013, 4:33pm

Post #8 of 23 (199 views)
Shortcut
I love this series [In reply to] Can't Post

and I think PJ could do a great job. I don't want the dragons to look like fell beast though.

malickfan
Gondor

Aug 24 2013, 10:51pm

Post #9 of 23 (205 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't want PJ to even consider going anywhere near The Silmarillion: [In reply to] Can't Post

http://newboards.theonering.net/...llion%20film;#635954

(It's not entirely Jackson-I love his LOTR films but he would be terrible for the silmarillion, in anycase I don't want a silmarillion film ever made)

P.J. should stick to Tolkien.

Or he could move onto other projects, and start writing original screenplays again-I'm a big fan of Braindead, Heavenly Creatures and The Frighteners and personally think a little of his spirit has been lost in the bigger budgets and CGI.

Semper Fi
Rohan

Aug 24 2013, 11:59pm

Post #10 of 23 (188 views)
Shortcut
Write and direct and original movie [In reply to] Can't Post

he did that with success (though not global one) before LOTR. So instead of making changes to best-seller adaptations that irk purists and less conservative fans alike, write your own movie. God knows we need more original work these days when everything is sequel, prequel, sidequel, reboot, adaptation.

Yngwulff
Gondor

Aug 25 2013, 5:06am

Post #11 of 23 (207 views)
Shortcut
Mountains of Madness [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The Justice League Dark project (Dark Universe?) is all well-and-good; however, you forgot about PJ possibly directing a Doctor Who episode. Also, what about his film adaptaion of Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness?

Wasn't that GDT's project that got scuttled due to a spat with the studion over the Rating (R vs PG 13) of the film.

Annael
Half-elven

Aug 25 2013, 3:52pm

Post #12 of 23 (185 views)
Shortcut
that I would like to see [In reply to] Can't Post

although I saw Weir's film Gallipoli in the theater and the images of the night landing still rank among the most powerful I've ever seen in a movie. So Jackson would have his work cut out for him.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Aug 25 2013, 8:21pm

Post #13 of 23 (184 views)
Shortcut
You're right [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

Wasn't that GDT's project that got scuttled due to a spat with the studion over the Rating (R vs PG 13) of the film.

I don't know what got me thinking of that as a Peter Jackson project. My mistake.

Xaromir

Aug 26 2013, 3:06am

Post #14 of 23 (155 views)
Shortcut
Lotr take #2 [In reply to] Can't Post

Lord of the Rings again, but this time with Tom Bombadil, and all the other stuff i loved in the books that he left out. I think it rather should have been 9 films rather than 3. (I'd still watch that in one go.) Not saying it was bad - the movies been great, but Tom...

How about some film adaptions of some Disk World novels or maybe Wheel of Time?

Arandir
Gondor

Aug 26 2013, 7:47am

Post #15 of 23 (161 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes please! And the Dambusters ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been waiting for the long-rumoured WWI film for a while now, including the WWII remake of 'The Dambusters' (which was handed to Christian Rivers and supposed to be released back in 2009) ...

I'm hoping that PJ can do another "exhaustive-sprint" towards releasing the Gallipoli film in 2015 - just like he did with King Kong immediately after RoTK (though this time, having already finished filming on The Hobbit, he may have enough time to shoot it within the coming year) ... but then again he has Tintin 2 to do next, right?Crazy

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Aug 26 2013, 2:55pm

Post #16 of 23 (151 views)
Shortcut
lol [In reply to] Can't Post

[malickfan]
in anycase I don't want a silmarillion film ever made
[/malickfan]

you are +absolutely+ entitled to your opinion, but i don't see why we couldn't have a scenario in which pj (or someone else) directs a series of sil films, and -- you just opt not to watch them -- and the rest of us who would like to see them do watch them. : )

as an example, i do not like baz luhrmans's work at all, really, and i was +incredibly+ disappointed that "the great gatsby" had him at the helm.... but i wouldn't go as far as to deny anyone who +does+ like his work the opportunity to see it. i can always just opt to not view it.

having baz luhrman direct "the great gatsby" in no way harms the book or my enjoyment of the book.

cheers --

malickfan
Gondor

Aug 26 2013, 6:27pm

Post #17 of 23 (163 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure what is going on with Tintin or the Dambusters... [In reply to] Can't Post

I know that Antony Horowitz (the author) was writing the draft script for Tintin 2 as of late 2012, and in a recent interview with Simon Pegg he stated they were planning on shooting it in Jan-March 2014, but other than that I have heard no firm conformation on what the film will contain or when it's shooting-way back in late 2010 I remember reading PJ had set aside a chunk of time in the middle of Hobbit filming to do the sequel-that obviously didn't happen, as the film keeps being delayed,and with PJ very busy for the next 2 years I have a feeling Spielberg will step back in-he was developing the film since the early 1980's, and Jackson only got involved by chance esentially (now that Robopocalypse has been cancelled I assume Spielberg has a free schedule).

As for the Dambusters, all I know is Stephen Fry is still writing the drafts for the script-and again I wouldn't be surprised to see PJ take over as director-after all it was him who bought the rights and is co financing the film so perhaps the studio wouldn't trust a first time director like Rivers...who incidently I was very surprised to see in the recent Hobbit blog, hadn't seen him in years-perhaps his second unit duties at the BOFA are a prep for the Dambusters?.

In anycase I know it sounds like a cliche at this point, but I hope on both Gallipoli and Dambusters he tones down the running time and cgi, and has a bit more sensitivity to the source material this time round-I personally really liked Tintin, but most (if not all) of the comments I've seen from fans of the original's seemed rather negative-prettysurprising if PJ is the massive fan he is.

Arandir
Gondor

Aug 27 2013, 7:08am

Post #18 of 23 (130 views)
Shortcut
I remember PJ had confirmed [In reply to] Can't Post

that he'd be tackling the Tintin sequel after he finished The Hobbit - but as you said, probably that has been delayed and as Spielberg seems (so far) available, he might take the reins again ...

I also would like PJ to step in and direct Dambusters (even though I have faith in Rivers as he has been under Jackson's wing and guidance for a while now) ...

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how all this develops, though I wouldn't be surprised if PJ is already working on a script and pre-production work for his next project, so that he'll start filming as soon as he wraps up TABA in 2014 Cool

Annael
Half-elven

Aug 27 2013, 2:43pm

Post #19 of 23 (132 views)
Shortcut
I'm pretty sure it's a moot point [In reply to] Can't Post

the estate will not sell film rights to the Sil.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Aug 27 2013, 2:49pm

Post #20 of 23 (137 views)
Shortcut
absolutely [In reply to] Can't Post

i know this well (only too well : ) ), as do many others, but it's always a lively source of discussion, nevertheless. : )

imagining what a jackson-helmed sil film series is as close as i'll get to my desire for him to direct them, but one can dream.

cheers : )

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Aug 28 2013, 12:15am

Post #21 of 23 (108 views)
Shortcut
I wonder... [In reply to] Can't Post

If The Dambusters sticks to the dialog of the original, how many viewers will wonder why the writers lifted lines from the Star Wars trench run? Tongue

PJ is the owner of several replicas of WW1 airplanes, so I'd love to see him do a remake of a classic Great War film like The Dawn Patrol, or Wings, or (dare I say it? Dare, dare!) an original movie. I better lay low for a while; the Hollywood thought police are probably on their way to arrest me now.

Patty
Immortal

Sep 6 2013, 7:32am

Post #22 of 23 (99 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I voted for the Sil, but I agree it aint gonna happen. / [In reply to] Can't Post

RosieBaggins
Rivendell

Sep 23 2013, 8:23pm

Post #23 of 23 (98 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I would love to see the Silmarillian! [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be so cool to see who they would pick to be Luithian!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.