Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
"Kicks In Door!* It's FIESTA FRIDAY!!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Aug 25 2013, 2:02am

Post #101 of 120 (134 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I try to keep a lid on it. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a fine line between dampening someone's enthusiasm, and letting them monopolize. But I walk it. What I really clamp down on is the side conversations. Last semester I resorted to "Once more and I'm going to separate you." On my course evaluations, other students thanked me for that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Aug 25 2013, 2:04am

Post #102 of 120 (133 views)
Shortcut
Ha ha ha that's great! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's nice to be thought of in a good way :-D

That sign reminds me a bit of this joke: link

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Aug 25 2013, 2:05am

Post #103 of 120 (135 views)
Shortcut
You guys are cracking me up. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Aug 25 2013, 4:39am

Post #104 of 120 (155 views)
Shortcut
Simply poof that we are your Class Clowns [In reply to] Can't Post

(and you think you have trouble now!)

Smile

sherlock
Gondor

Aug 25 2013, 3:34pm

Post #105 of 120 (132 views)
Shortcut
Popping in on [In reply to] Can't Post

Sunday again. It's been beautiful weather here the last few weeks so I've been enjoying walks and the dog park. Went to a free outdoor concert last night with my daughter & granddaughter. It was just beautiful outside at the park!

Hope everyone's having a great weekend!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 3 2013, 7:52pm

Post #106 of 120 (118 views)
Shortcut
Oh my goodness, cats!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I just saw this congrats from you. I didn't see it sooner since it wasn't a reply to me, so I promise I wasn't ignoring you! Thanks for the congratulations! I start this coming Monday, and am greatly looking forward to it! Smile

THE SONG OF TUOR
Only the reeds were rustling, but a mist lay on the streams
Like a sea-roke drawn far inland, like a shred of salt sea-dreams.
'Twas in the Land of Willows that I heard th'unfathomed breath
Of the Horns of Ylmir calling - and shall hear them till my death.

cats16
Valinor

Sep 4 2013, 4:34am

Post #107 of 120 (107 views)
Shortcut
No worries at all! [In reply to] Can't Post

You're welcome!! Your post made me realize that I never came back to finish reading everyone else's posts. BlushCrazy (Also, I should have responded to you in the first place. That's what I get for being in a rush.Cool)

Hope that the first day goes splendid!!!

Smile

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 4 2013, 8:55pm

Post #108 of 120 (101 views)
Shortcut
Thanks again, cats!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure it'll go great, but the closer it gets the more nervous I get. It's weird to think I'm finally starting what I worked so hard to get to!

THE SONG OF TUOR
Only the reeds were rustling, but a mist lay on the streams
Like a sea-roke drawn far inland, like a shred of salt sea-dreams.

cats16
Valinor

Sep 5 2013, 12:41am

Post #109 of 120 (96 views)
Shortcut
*relevant Tolkien quote coming* [In reply to] Can't Post

"It is only the deep breath before the plunge."

Of course your situation is much better!

Smile

(This post was edited by cats16 on Sep 5 2013, 12:42am)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 5 2013, 1:14am

Post #110 of 120 (99 views)
Shortcut
I'm in the service of the nurse manager now. I'll have to do as I'm told. [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile Thanks again for everything!

By the way, I absolutely love your new avatar!! The CoH pictures are gorgeous, and I love Gondolin, so it's the best of both worlds! And since the picture is so small, I feel like I'm really peering through the clouds on the Hidden City itself!

(This post was edited by Ardamírë on Sep 5 2013, 1:15am)

cats16
Valinor

Sep 5 2013, 1:31am

Post #111 of 120 (90 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome! And thanks!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was casually looking for some art of Gondolin, and this one immediately caught my eye. I'm actually reading the CoH material in UT right now too, so it's so fitting!

I think it was the description of the Seven Gates that got me craving a google search for art. It took some effort for me to draw the architecture in my head, so I wanted to see some finished products on the matter.

It's strange having an avatar now...I'm not to the point yet where I remember that it's actually mine. I keep thinking it's somebody else's! CrazyCool

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 5 2013, 1:52am

Post #112 of 120 (88 views)
Shortcut
I love Unfinished Tales [In reply to] Can't Post

Such a great book. Is this your first read through it? If so, be prepared for some fantastic reading. The Mariner's Wife is absolutely phenomenal. It's definitely at the top of the list of things I wish Tolkien had actually finished. It's so unique and wonderful.

I know what you mean! It took me quite a while to figure out an avatar that I loved. The first one I loved was beautiful picture of Arwen, but I found that most people were mistaking me for a woman, so I decided to change it. And every time I've changed it since (looking for the perfect one), it takes me a while to get used to it being mine Tongue

cats16
Valinor

Sep 5 2013, 2:10am

Post #113 of 120 (84 views)
Shortcut
Yep, first time. [In reply to] Can't Post

Everything seems so familiar, yet still new. I'm still adjusting to having to flip to CT's notes at the end of the chapters. Not that I'm complaining, though. But my hand does cramp up every once and awhile holding that page as I read. Tongue I've heard great things about The Mariner's Wife. Looking forward to it! Though my Tolkien-reading speed is becoming a double edged sword, of sorts...I take plenty of time to digest everything, but it takes quite awhile. I suppose I'll improve over time.

We'll see how long this avatar lasts. I'm really liking it, so maybe quite some time.Cool The idea of a somewhat regular change sounds nice, I admit.

Yeah, I thought I would make things easier by filling in the gender slot on my profile. That's not too revealing!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 5 2013, 2:26am

Post #114 of 120 (81 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad you're enjoying it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I must admit, the first time I read one of the books edited by Christopher (I think it was HoME book 6), I was so young I didn't realize the notes at the end of each chapter were meant to be read when the number came up earlier! It made so much more sense when I figured it out Tongue

I don't want to hype up The Mariner's Wife too much, but I do think you'll enjoy it. It's very different to everything else written about Middle-earth. For one, it's the only story from Numenor besides it's downfall, so just that alone is enough to enthrall me.

I'd say to be sure to take time to digest it all. You can always reread, of course, but you only have one first read-through. The first two stories (Tuor and Turin) are familiar and yet new, and that's probably one of the things I love best about them. In the rest of the book, I think you'll get a lot more new, and less familiar.

For me, I want an avatar that is just associated with me. I think I've finally found that, at least for the foreseeable future. It's got two of my favorite things: the character of Bilbo Baggins and horses. Most of the time, it throws me off when people change their avatars. I get to the point where I "read" pictures instead of usernames. DanielLB has had his so long, I'd never realize it if he changed lol. Magpie, on the other hand, changes seemingly every day, and yet I love how it's always a picture of a magpie and I always know who it is. Smile

Gosh! I'm glad I looked at your profile. Here I was doing exactly what other had done to me!

cats16
Valinor

Sep 5 2013, 2:54am

Post #115 of 120 (74 views)
Shortcut
Anything with Numenor sounds great. [In reply to] Can't Post

I did the same thing with the notes for the first part of Tuor! I was even ready for them, but I kept mistaking those numbers for quotation marks. I took more time tracing my steps back to find the numbers than reading the notes.

It still seems strange now to me that, mostly, the entire history we get of Numenor is the Downfall. There aren't really any tales (other than The Mariner's Wife) to get a better glimpse into the culture/people. The Akallabeth is so...different from anything else I've read so far from Tolkien. A human tale will be very nice to read.

I'm also looking forward to the section on Galadriel and Celeborn. I was begging for something more in the Sil about them, but it wasn't more than a couple of teases.
I still cannot decide whether I like the tale of Tuor or Turin more. They're both so fascinating, and different. Tuor's feels, in a way, like a story rooted in reality, whereas Turin's seems to go into a darker myth. I have to say, Tuor's entrance into Gondolin might be one of the best things I've read in quite some time.

I love your avatar thoughts. For me, I love the wide landscape shots. The current one isn't the best example, but the city in the distance helps a lot. I plan on having a lot of green in mine. Agreed on Daniel! I would be convinced it was somebody else.

Oh my, haha! It's funny how things like that come back to you in the end. Well at least you now have company in being misidentified on TORn. Cool

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 5 2013, 3:32am

Post #116 of 120 (90 views)
Shortcut
Numenor is so tantalizing [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a very short beginning of a story in the final HoME book about a native Middle-earth tribe that sees the first landing of the Numenorean ships in the Second Age. Or something like that. It's been so long since I read it, but I remember loving it and wishing it had been concluded. It was such a fascinating glimpse both at the ME tribe and the Numenorean return.

The description of Numenor that beings Part II of Unfinished Tales is (while entirely descriptive and almost text-book-like) incredible. It's great background before beginning Aldarion and Erendis. A&E is so human. If you don't know anything about it, I think you'll be fascinated at how human it is. In his later years, Tolkien really had a knack for developing the characters in his stories, and it's a real shame that most of that material remained incomplete. I'm soooo glad Christopher was able to compile a full version of Turin, and I wish he'd do the same for Tuor (as I believe there to be more than enough material to do so).

Galadriel and Celeborn is where the textual history really starts to become complicated. Good luck getting through it!

I would have to choose Turin simply because I love a dark and tragic tale, and Turin is nothing if not dark and tragic. Plus, the completed Children of Hurin is an excellent read. Also, the characterizations of some of the briefly mentioned people from Silm (Hurin, Morwen, Thingol, Mim) are wonderful. I just love the depth of the story. Of course, Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin is another great tale, but it's almost the opposite of Turin. Of course, it involves the fall of Gondolin, but I see it as the "happy" tale in contrast to the morbid tale of Turin. One thing I love in the Tuor story is the brief mention of the time that these characters' fates meet in passing. The interconnectedness is absolutely brilliant.

It may not be a hugely wide landscape shot, but I think it's great. I'd like to see Alan Lee do a series of painting/drawings on The Fall of Gondolin. I'd love to see one (or all) of the Seven Gates, Tuor following the gulls to Vinyamar, the exiles sojourning in the willow-meads of Nan-tathren, Bright Earendil at his birth, or the dragons coiled at the base of the King's Tower before its fall.

Ha! Yes, that one bit me in the butt! By the way, I've seen you around a lot, but nice to finally meet you so to speak. Smile

cats16
Valinor

Sep 5 2013, 4:06am

Post #117 of 120 (68 views)
Shortcut
My goal is to read HoME next. [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought I might as well go for it, so to speak (but I do hear it's quite daunting at first). I bought the first six books in a boxed set, so I'm looking forward to it! I can't wait to see that encounter with the Numenoreans and the tribe. It sounds fantastic.

Ooo can't wait for Part II! I'm really excited that all of this is getting better and better as I go deeper. Although it'll be quite the turnaround when I come back to, say, the Hobbit or LotR. As you said, this first read-through is some experience.

I'm starting to get into those characterizations of lesser characters in Sil from CoH. It's really giving me so much more than I expected. There's so much wisdom in there, too.

An Alan Lee series of Gondolin works would be the best! I'm loving each of those paintings you'd want to see.

Great to meet you as well! It's awesome to start "meeting" people once you've spent a decent amount of time here. I'm getting there, slowly but surely.

I know I'm hoping to dive into the RR soon, whenever I complete this read through. I really had bad timing with the Sil discussion. I was just starting the book as they were about 2/3 of the way through it. And by that point, I felt it best to sit it out. Also because at that time, I was more concerned about identifying Feanor, Fingolfin, Finarfin, Fingon, etc. than about the moral implications of Eru's destruction of Numenor (though that's a great topic!). Wink

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 5 2013, 5:49pm

Post #118 of 120 (64 views)
Shortcut
I have found with HoME [In reply to] Can't Post

That for me it was easiest to just read through it. Don't worry about keeping it all straight in your head, just read it.

Don't get your hopes up too high for the Tal-Elmar story. It's only a few pages long, and it's either the last or second-to-last thing in all of HoME. Speaking of HoME, it's always bugged me that the books don't have any sort of conclusion. I know they're academic works, but I always have felt cheated when they just end at the end of whatever document or manuscript is at the end of the book. Ah, whatever.

I really think you'll enjoy reading both The Hobbit and LOTR again. They're chock full of references to The Silmarillion.

Was this your first time reading through The Silmarillion as well? I remember being incredibly overwhelmed when first getting into it. Funnily, I actually started getting it all sorted out when I read HoME (probably because you read different versions of the same story a lot, so it starts to make sense).

One suggestion for the next book study in the RR was Unfinished Tales. If we end up doing that, you'll have to be sure to drop in!

cats16
Valinor

Sep 5 2013, 9:07pm

Post #119 of 120 (71 views)
Shortcut
Yep! [In reply to] Can't Post

First time reading the Sil. I was happy not to feel overwhelmed by it (well, I was until I got all of the F's straight). I didn't think to consult the index until about 1/3 of the way through. CT really did a fantastic job with that. It's sooo helpful. Even when I thought I remembered a character perfectly, sometimes I found myself mixing/combining/confusing them with another. But on the whole, I loved every bit of the Sil.

HoME sounds like it will be very rewarding! Though I agree that it sounds difficult to accept parts without conclusions.

I've actually got a desire to start right back into TH and LOTR after HoME. It's been long enough that I could dive back in and see so much more. I'm really looking forward to picking up on all of the references to the Sil now. (Although I also loved having some of that mystery in there too. It was cool being as confused as, say, Sam was when hearing about other histories and tales. But I'm still very excited!).

Oh, I must have missed the suggestion for Unfinished Tales in the RR next! That would be fantastic. I'll keep my eyes open. I lurk in there fairly often, so I should see the posting for the next discussion.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Sep 7 2013, 10:01pm

Post #120 of 120 (60 views)
Shortcut
Glad you liked it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad you enjoyed Silm! It's easily in my top 5 favorite books (based on it's beautiful prose alone). These days, though, I don't read it very much. After going so much deeper in HoME, it's somewhat difficult to return to the published book. I've sort of made my own canon in my head, if that makes sense. Anyway, I'm glad you liked it, and I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on HoME whenever you dig into it!

Hmm, I can't remember if the suggestion of UT was somewhere on the boards or PM, but CuriousG just reminded me about it a couple weeks ago. I think, though, that Brethil suggested The Fall of Arthur, which would be a nice break from Middle-earth. Maybe we can organize a UT discussion sometime in the new year. I really hope we do, as there is a wealth of things to discuss there that often don't get discussed (Aldarion & Erendis being one).

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.