Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thranduil and his expanded role "spoilers"
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

malickfan
Gondor

Aug 20 2013, 3:54pm

Post #26 of 51 (642 views)
Shortcut
Completly agree Sinister [In reply to] Can't Post

Pace shows every sign of being my Richard Armitage (i.e. the stand out peformance giving unexpected depth to a sketchy character) and he has been fantastic in the few bits and bobs I've seen him in. He is one of my fave Elves in the books and I can't wait to see what PJ has in store for him.

Be interesting to see if they allude to the different clans of the elves-The Teleri, Noldor etc were mentioned briely in the appendices...

The Talking Purse is Awesome, deal with it.

But he isn't quite as aweome as Cirdan.

joec_34
Rivendell

Aug 20 2013, 4:03pm

Post #27 of 51 (648 views)
Shortcut
Spot on is right [In reply to] Can't Post

I totally agree that he will nail the performance and even steal the show! At first I was concerned about his casting, because all I had seen from him was Pushing Daisies. (It's great, but not Thranduil-ish at all.) Then I saw him in Lincoln and, man, that was a totally different Lee Pace! After his performance in that film, I couldn't hardly contain my excitement to see him bring Thranduil to life!

P.S. Sorry about all those exclamation points...maybe I still can't contain that excitement.

"Happy painting and God bless, my friend." - Bob Ross

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Aug 20 2013, 4:49pm

Post #28 of 51 (625 views)
Shortcut
Hoping for the best and fearing for the worst. [In reply to] Can't Post

And worst is Thranduil getting the Denethor treatment.

But let's hope...

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

Semper Fi
Rohan

Aug 20 2013, 4:54pm

Post #29 of 51 (636 views)
Shortcut
Considering they are developing his relationship with his son [In reply to] Can't Post

and Tauriel, whatever direction that might take, I really doubt Denethor treatement. Denethor was a smaller part, basically a bump in the road for the Fellowship, while Thranduil's role is much bigger in the grander scheme of things and more ecompassing.

"RadagaStoner deserves no mercy!" Tauriel the Radagast Slayer, the Chief of Inglorious Elfguards

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Aug 20 2013, 5:22pm

Post #30 of 51 (612 views)
Shortcut
anyone that has seen his [In reply to] Can't Post

Transexual role, will no doubt be confident, that barring any trouble with the script hes given and jackson's direction, hes an actor that can immerse himself so well in the character, you no longer see the real man.

Im confident he ll be one of the few things ill like about dos.

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Aug 20 2013, 8:19pm

Post #31 of 51 (570 views)
Shortcut
Pushing daisy's [In reply to] Can't Post

was my introduction to Pace (or Ned the pie maker) as well after that I pretty much have seen most of his work (the Fall is amazing). I'm really confident he's gonna bring something to the character that will win over tons of people. He is one of those actors that just becomes the character and lives and breathes it that its infectious.

Pace is gonna be one of the highlights for DOS and TABA for me anyways Wink

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Aug 20 2013, 10:32pm

Post #32 of 51 (532 views)
Shortcut
I don't really know much of Pace's work... [In reply to] Can't Post

but from what we've seen of Thranduil thus far, I have a feeling his performance is going to be one of the high points of DoS. I just hope the writers know that as far as elves are concerned, it's Thranduil's show, and not Legolas and Tauriel's.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Aug 21 2013, 12:10am

Post #33 of 51 (499 views)
Shortcut
I'm hoping that as well [In reply to] Can't Post

Thranduil IMO should be a much more important character in the Hobbit than Legolas. Legolas IMO had his moment in the sun which was during LOTR. So for me Thranduil who actual was a character (even though not properly named) in the Hobbit should have the majority of screen time. I still think Pace is gonna have people hating Thranduil in DOS but by the end of TABA will understand his point of view for not helping the dwarfs.

As far as Lee Pace's acting ability check out "the Fall", his role in Lincoln, and Soldier's girl all of which are great perfomances. Any doubts anyone has about him in the role will be gone after seeing those roles... I actually loved his role as Ned the Pie maker in Pushing Daisy's, IMO he showed that his comedic timing was perfect. I bought the show on DVD just because of his performance, well that and how quirky the show is. But again I think a lot of that goes back to Pace's sense of timing. Like I said before so far Tranduil is going to be the highlight of DOS for me so far. Wink

Nira
Lorien

Aug 21 2013, 3:45am

Post #34 of 51 (483 views)
Shortcut
If there is one thing PJ & co do right it's casting [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm very excited to see Lee Pace as Thranduil. I think he'll be spot on. I predict the Thranduil & Thorin scene will be one of the best. Any additions to the Thranduil character story arc will be most welcome. He is a fascinating character and deserves more than what he was given in the book.

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 21 2013, 11:32am

Post #35 of 51 (440 views)
Shortcut
He already looks like the perfect Elf to me after the trailers. [In reply to] Can't Post

And brings in that "shady" side of the Elves... it is nice not to have them as these angel-like people all the time who only do good.

A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of mens imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold. J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Semper Fi
Rohan

Aug 21 2013, 1:22pm

Post #36 of 51 (416 views)
Shortcut
I'd say casting is hit and miss [In reply to] Can't Post

pace is greta but I cna't get over how bad faramir guy was. Ugh. And Adrian Brody as the love interest in King Kong? Yikes.

"RadagaStoner deserves no mercy!" Tauriel the Radagast Slayer, the Chief of Inglorious Elfguards

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 21 2013, 3:04pm

Post #37 of 51 (397 views)
Shortcut
Or maybe just a matter of taste... [In reply to] Can't Post

I really like David Wenham's Faramir - even though he is nothing at all like the Faramir in my head when I read the book. But I thought the part was cast and acted well, so I have two Faramirs now - one for the film and one for the book.

I think the only casting I didn't really care for at first was Frodo and Sam, and I got used to them a long time ago.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Aug 21 2013, 4:47pm

Post #38 of 51 (365 views)
Shortcut
Me too [In reply to] Can't Post

I also thought David Wenham did a great job. Lookswise he did not look too much like Book Faramir, but he did look a lot like Film Boromir's younger brother. (And, I thought Sean Bean was fantastic also.)

I also thought Adrian Brody was a convincing New York playwright in Kong. But I really like him as an actor, so I could be biased. Smile

Semper Fi
Rohan

Aug 21 2013, 4:53pm

Post #39 of 51 (360 views)
Shortcut
after LOTR, I saw Wenham in 300 and Van Helsing [In reply to] Can't Post

thoguht he was terrible there too and then I didn't see him in anything else. Thought, I certainly won't miss you, buddy.

I'm glad Karl Urban is doing much better in comparison. They criminally shrunk Eomer's part in the movies but Urban is a strong actor so he is getting parts now despite almost a cameo in LOTR.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Aug 21 2013, 5:01pm

Post #40 of 51 (351 views)
Shortcut
I actually like Windham in LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

I felt he did the best he could with the material given to him I wasn't a fan of him in 300 or VanHelsing though. Urban was good and everything else I have seen him in has been pretty good too.

Talking of Brody though I was fine with him in Kong since he was playing a writer. But I felt he was way out of his league in Predators Wink

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 21 2013, 5:07pm

Post #41 of 51 (354 views)
Shortcut
I liked him as well [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought he did a good job as Faramir. He balanced the feeling of book Faramir with the changes to the movie version. I also liked him in 300 as well. Karl Urban as Eomer was another great one. I love how he played that character.

Nira
Lorien

Aug 22 2013, 1:12am

Post #42 of 51 (298 views)
Shortcut
A matter of taste I guess [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought David was great as Faramir and he really looked like he could be Boromir's little brother. I don't know anything about PJ's non-Tolkien movies.

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

Nimloth
Lorien

Aug 22 2013, 2:52am

Post #43 of 51 (287 views)
Shortcut
I liked him [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought Wenham was well cast for PJ's LOTR. Not at all like the book Faramir but he did a good job with his role. He and Bean looked convincing as brothers too.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Aug 22 2013, 2:57am

Post #44 of 51 (281 views)
Shortcut
That was my only issue with Faramir [In reply to] Can't Post

he was nothing like the book and came off as some little boy looking for the approval of his father over all else. I would have loved to see some of the conviction of book Faramir in his performance but I feel he did amazing with the material he was given Wink

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Aug 22 2013, 7:21am

Post #45 of 51 (273 views)
Shortcut
Agreed... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Daisy" acted his socks off with the material he was given. Not his fault his Faramir was done a disservice by the scriptwriters! I 'd particularly have loved to have seen more screen time between him and Miranda (Eowyn)...

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Semper Fi
Rohan

Aug 22 2013, 10:57am

Post #46 of 51 (263 views)
Shortcut
I don't see the value you do which is OK [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't like him in absolutely anything I've seen him in and his voice is just irritating. I always mute my TV/Blue Ray during his scenes. When they were talking about the bridge movie, my first thought was, oh, no, not more Faramir (unless recast). So I'm cool that I haven't seen him in new movies for years. I think Australia was the last one that he had some prominent role (and sucked big time).

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Aug 22 2013, 9:24pm

Post #47 of 51 (241 views)
Shortcut
Faramir was just poorly written for the film when compared to his book counterpart [In reply to] Can't Post

But lee Pace is looking like he has actually stepped up the character compared to the vague character in the book Wink. Which as long as Jackson's material doesn't suck too bad Lee Pace will bring some kickin butt attitude to the character of Thranduil and actually make it better than the book. (Yeah write that down, I said it)Tongue So far everything I have seen of him looks great, but wasn't it emeralds he loved in the book instead of white gems?

Semper Fi
Rohan

Aug 23 2013, 2:17am

Post #48 of 51 (240 views)
Shortcut
Lee Pace is a class act and several cuts above Daisy Wenham [In reply to] Can't Post

Not comparable at all, not the same league, crap script or not.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Aug 24 2013, 6:28pm

Post #49 of 51 (198 views)
Shortcut
Why are people calling Wenham "Daisy"? [In reply to] Can't Post

In any case, I didn't think he was a bad actor. And like you, I would have liked to see more of Faramir and Eowyn in the Houses of Healing.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Aug 24 2013, 7:05pm

Post #50 of 51 (186 views)
Shortcut
I think more was shot but never released [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't remember but I think someone at the time said something about there being more shot but they didn't think it fit and slowed the film down too much.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.