Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Why Didn't eagles Take The company all the way to the Lonely Mountain ???
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Aug 23 2013, 12:58pm

Post #26 of 38 (213 views)
Shortcut
I like that Coast Guard analogy.// [In reply to] Can't Post

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Aug 23 2013, 3:22pm

Post #27 of 38 (204 views)
Shortcut
thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

Fàfnir
Rohan

Aug 23 2013, 7:43pm

Post #28 of 38 (169 views)
Shortcut
Hahaha product placement is everywhere these days // [In reply to] Can't Post

W1tchK1nG
The Shire

Aug 23 2013, 7:52pm

Post #29 of 38 (179 views)
Shortcut
True [In reply to] Can't Post

That , my friend is the best answer for sure Wink

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Aug 24 2013, 1:07pm

Post #30 of 38 (144 views)
Shortcut
Taking it to the limit? [In reply to] Can't Post

Why didn't the Eagles take it to the limit of their journey for our Company of desperadoes to show them a bit of life in the fast line, you ask? Which would have allowed them to take it easy, to coast along on a midnight flyer with a peaceful easy feeling and arrive at Erebor like an earlybird?

One might rely on the reasons given by the Lord of the Eagles in the book, aptly quoted in someone else's post in this thread. But if you insist on an answer from within the movie itself, then the last resort would be to speculate, like a certain kind of fool. One of these nights I might come up with a reason from within the movie but right now I'd be looking at you with lyin' eyes if I didn't simply say: "i can't tell you why." Sorry couldn't be more helpful.

P.S. I might have added something like: "I'm already gone, dreaming about some hotel, California somewhere, with a witchy woman. It's gonna be a heartache tonight" but that would have been over the top.

A bag is like a hole that you can carry with you.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

Morthoron
Gondor

Aug 24 2013, 4:38pm

Post #31 of 38 (124 views)
Shortcut
Coming soon to the Compact Abridged Director's Cut...// [In reply to] Can't Post

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Aug 24 2013, 6:47pm

Post #32 of 38 (104 views)
Shortcut
Wrong Eagles I'm pretty sure [In reply to] Can't Post

But I always have liked those eagles as well Wink

redgiraffe
Rohan

Aug 25 2013, 2:22am

Post #33 of 38 (102 views)
Shortcut
Why those? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I really really hope either the EE or TABA explains this //

Honestly, I think the PERFECT time to explain it could be at the beginning of DOS. It could easily be achieved in a witty statement by Bilbo simply asking Gandalf the obvious, "So why did the eagles drop us off here and not at the mountain?". And then you could have Gandalf answer and possibly even foreshadow their return at TABA.

I will be let-down if this isn't explained at the beginning of DOS. And I don't see why it should wait for an EE. The common audience needs to know. If PJ does it, hopefully he won't botch the answer by having Gandalf say something to the effect of, "Well we can't just use the Eagles as taxi cabs." That quotes from the ROTK commentary, btw.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

redgiraffe
Rohan

Aug 25 2013, 2:30am

Post #34 of 38 (87 views)
Shortcut
I feel like a fool [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Why didn't the Eagles take it to the limit of their journey for our Company of desperadoes to show them a bit of life in the fast line, you ask? Which would have allowed them to take it easy, to coast along on a midnight flyer with a peaceful easy feeling and arrive at Erebor like an earlybird?

One might rely on the reasons given by the Lord of the Eagles in the book, aptly quoted in someone else's post in this thread. But if you insist on an answer from within the movie itself, then the last resort would be to speculate, like a certain kind of fool. One of these nights I might come up with a reason from within the movie but right now I'd be looking at you with lyin' eyes if I didn't simply say: "i can't tell you why." Sorry couldn't be more helpful.

P.S. I might have added something like: "I'm already gone, dreaming about some hotel, California somewhere, with a witchy woman. It's gonna be a heartache tonight" but that would have been over the top.

As I was reading this I was thinking "Ahhh, he's quoting The Eagles. Why is he quoting The Eagles in this thre... OHHHH!!!!! Of course!"

Well done.Wink

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Aug 25 2013, 2:43am

Post #35 of 38 (89 views)
Shortcut
in the film [In reply to] Can't Post

how would the eagles know that their going to the lonely mountain?? they simply took them away from danger.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

redgiraffe
Rohan

Aug 25 2013, 3:13am

Post #36 of 38 (83 views)
Shortcut
Good point [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
how would the eagles know that their going to the lonely mountain?? they simply took them away from danger.

That's also a good point. There's always that assumption that Gandalf would have talked to them. Even if the eagles did just take them away from danger Bilbo could say, "why didn't we ask them to bring us further?"

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Aug 25 2013, 7:41am

Post #37 of 38 (72 views)
Shortcut
True... [In reply to] Can't Post

and Thorin was injured, so may not have lasted all the way to the Lonely Mountain. The priority was finding somewhere safe to land so he could be treated.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Aug 25 2013, 9:51am

Post #38 of 38 (73 views)
Shortcut
I always... [In reply to] Can't Post

...thought something like this would be good to explain it:

Bilbo: ''So why did the eagles save us?''
Gandalf: ''I saved their lord Gwaihir's life one day, [when the men of Mirkwood shot him when seeing him hunting their sheep] and he promised me to save me one day, if the need may be there.
Bilbo: ''So why didn't you ask them to fly us to the mountain?''
Gandalf: ''I saved his life, and he saved mine...and he will again when needed, but my burdens are not his to bare.''

At the same time you would explain a bit why the eagles do not fly the ring to Mordor, but do help Gandalf. Their lord owes his life to Gandalf, but the 'saving' of Middle Earth is not their calling/burden, it's Gandalf's.

''Do not fear the shadows, for seeing them means light is near...''

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.