Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Movie Music Trivia Game

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 18 2007, 1:23am

Views: 2178
Shortcut
Movie Music Trivia Game Can't Post

Here's an idea I had for a new ongoing trivia game. I conceive of this being played in the best tradition of any living room, relaxed game. It's all for fun (I'm not keeping any score). There's no such thing as cheating (you can get your answers any way you want). We make up the rules as we go along and we change them anytime we want. Silly or joke answers are always welcome. And conversation can run concurrent with the game play.

Let's try the game out before I discuss it any more.

There are many themes in the LOTR movie soundtracks. I've prepared soundclips for 5 different iterations of Mystery Theme #1. The soundclips can be downloaded for listening by going to THIS WEBPAGE .
On that page, there are three entries for this music:
  1. Downloadable soundclips from a CD (either the Original Soundtrack or a Complete Recording). These don't have any movie sound or dialog.
  2. Downloadable soundclips from a LOTR movie. These are from the same scenes as #1 but since they have movie sound and dialog, they provide more clues.
  3. Tracks and time ranges for the same music as in #1 above. If you have the OST and/or CR, then you could listen from your own copy if you don't wish to download. Since knowing how many of these clips are from which movie could be considered a clue, I'll put these time ranges in hidden font. Highlight to read.

Questions/Challenges/etc.

• Challenge 1: Can you identify any of the scenes for these clips? It may be hard to match specific clips with specific scenes (without the dialog) because the different iterations of this music are quite similar. But you can be as specific or general as you want. If you can't identify them from the CD soundclips, try the movie soundclips.
  • Challenge 2: Assuming you've been able to identify at least some of the scenes, what do you think this theme represents?

Feel free to use whatever resources you have. Nothing is considered 'cheating'. Also feel free to take the discussion beyond the parameters of the trivia challenge. Discussing the music in the soundclips and/or the scenes is fine. Having fun with your answer is fine. Asking questions or requesting hints is fine.

I think some people would consider this sort of challenge and/or this particular challenge very easy... some would consider it impossible. The goal is, if you have any interest in the music in question to make the discussion yours. I'll provide a few hints below, for people who need something to jump start them. And at some point, I'll provide the answers and some more information on Mystery Theme #1. Even if you haven't played, you may find this part interesting.

Since this is a beta test, I'd also like to have as much feedback on the concept as possible. How interested are people in this? What do you like? What would you like changed? How often would you like to see a new question?

HINTS highlight to read
  • Which movies are the clips from: Three of the Five clips are from FOTR, two are from ROTK. This theme was not used in TTT
  • Special Circumstances regarding the scenes: The two clips from ROTK were on the OST but not used in the movie. The scenes they would be connected with were in the movie.
  • A subtle clue about what the theme represents: Hi

DJ Mix for Inaugural Celebration at:
http://www.geocities.com/magpie930/music.htm

no longer just aMagpie... I'm now *the* Magpie

Subject User Time
Movie Music Trivia Game Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Feb 18 2007, 1:23am
    Ah, this answers my question (posted below somewhere!) weaver Send a private message to weaver Feb 18 2007, 1:30am
        Re: [weaver] Ah, this answers my question (posted below somewhere!) Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Feb 18 2007, 1:36am
            Not a problem at all... weaver Send a private message to weaver Feb 18 2007, 1:43am
    Answers Ainu Laire Send a private message to Ainu Laire Feb 18 2007, 1:49am
    Ah, very challenging! weaver Send a private message to weaver Feb 18 2007, 2:05am
        feedback time Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Feb 18 2007, 2:27am
            Hum hum... Ainu Laire Send a private message to Ainu Laire Feb 19 2007, 5:49am
                *evil laugh* Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Feb 19 2007, 6:25am
                    Oh man, I hauled out the DVDs, I got the CDs from my car.... Loresilme Send a private message to Loresilme Feb 19 2007, 6:44am
                        great game! and hello! Nessa Inglorion Send a private message to Nessa Inglorion Feb 19 2007, 8:51am
                            Welcome! Ainu Laire Send a private message to Ainu Laire Feb 19 2007, 8:56am
                                Thanks!! and more to my guess :) Nessa Inglorion Send a private message to Nessa Inglorion Feb 19 2007, 9:28am
                            A belated hello! Loresilme Send a private message to Loresilme Feb 21 2007, 2:18am
                                Hello back :) Nessa Inglorion Send a private message to Nessa Inglorion Feb 21 2007, 2:40am
            I say, make us wait! weaver Send a private message to weaver Feb 19 2007, 5:31pm
                prizes... Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Feb 19 2007, 6:11pm
    Amazing! Loresilme Send a private message to Loresilme Feb 19 2007, 5:24am
        To: [Loresilme] Thanks - oh wait... Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Feb 19 2007, 5:30am
            Did I get that mixed up? Loresilme Send a private message to Loresilme Feb 19 2007, 5:41am
            Flat mode? Aerin Send a private message to Aerin Feb 19 2007, 8:24am
                I see the birth of new footers: Death to Flat Mode! Flat Mode is Evil! It Must Be Destroyed! Exterminate! Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Feb 19 2007, 3:15pm
        Pssst... Aerin Send a private message to Aerin Feb 19 2007, 8:21am
            *looks around* You talkin' to me? Loresilme Send a private message to Loresilme Feb 19 2007, 8:16pm
                My understanding Aerin Send a private message to Aerin Feb 20 2007, 4:15am
    Ver-r-r-y interesting! FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Feb 22 2007, 4:23pm
    Answers! Winners! Prizes! Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Feb 23 2007, 7:24pm
        Thanks Magpie! FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Feb 25 2007, 5:52pm
            It's not at all uncommon.. Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Feb 25 2007, 7:12pm
        just a test Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Mar 24 2007, 2:53pm
    I like this idea. Tyler Send a private message to Tyler Jul 2 2007, 11:55am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.