Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Movie Music Trivia Game
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 18 2007, 1:23am

Post #1 of 31 (2652 views)
Shortcut
Movie Music Trivia Game Can't Post

Here's an idea I had for a new ongoing trivia game. I conceive of this being played in the best tradition of any living room, relaxed game. It's all for fun (I'm not keeping any score). There's no such thing as cheating (you can get your answers any way you want). We make up the rules as we go along and we change them anytime we want. Silly or joke answers are always welcome. And conversation can run concurrent with the game play.

Let's try the game out before I discuss it any more.

There are many themes in the LOTR movie soundtracks. I've prepared soundclips for 5 different iterations of Mystery Theme #1. The soundclips can be downloaded for listening by going to THIS WEBPAGE .
On that page, there are three entries for this music:
  1. Downloadable soundclips from a CD (either the Original Soundtrack or a Complete Recording). These don't have any movie sound or dialog.
  2. Downloadable soundclips from a LOTR movie. These are from the same scenes as #1 but since they have movie sound and dialog, they provide more clues.
  3. Tracks and time ranges for the same music as in #1 above. If you have the OST and/or CR, then you could listen from your own copy if you don't wish to download. Since knowing how many of these clips are from which movie could be considered a clue, I'll put these time ranges in hidden font. Highlight to read.

Questions/Challenges/etc.

• Challenge 1: Can you identify any of the scenes for these clips? It may be hard to match specific clips with specific scenes (without the dialog) because the different iterations of this music are quite similar. But you can be as specific or general as you want. If you can't identify them from the CD soundclips, try the movie soundclips.
  • Challenge 2: Assuming you've been able to identify at least some of the scenes, what do you think this theme represents?

Feel free to use whatever resources you have. Nothing is considered 'cheating'. Also feel free to take the discussion beyond the parameters of the trivia challenge. Discussing the music in the soundclips and/or the scenes is fine. Having fun with your answer is fine. Asking questions or requesting hints is fine.

I think some people would consider this sort of challenge and/or this particular challenge very easy... some would consider it impossible. The goal is, if you have any interest in the music in question to make the discussion yours. I'll provide a few hints below, for people who need something to jump start them. And at some point, I'll provide the answers and some more information on Mystery Theme #1. Even if you haven't played, you may find this part interesting.

Since this is a beta test, I'd also like to have as much feedback on the concept as possible. How interested are people in this? What do you like? What would you like changed? How often would you like to see a new question?

HINTS highlight to read
  • Which movies are the clips from: Three of the Five clips are from FOTR, two are from ROTK. This theme was not used in TTT
  • Special Circumstances regarding the scenes: The two clips from ROTK were on the OST but not used in the movie. The scenes they would be connected with were in the movie.
  • A subtle clue about what the theme represents: Hi

DJ Mix for Inaugural Celebration at:
http://www.geocities.com/magpie930/music.htm

no longer just aMagpie... I'm now *the* Magpie

weaver
Half-elven

Feb 18 2007, 1:30am

Post #2 of 31 (852 views)
Shortcut
Ah, this answers my question (posted below somewhere!) [In reply to] Can't Post

I should have figured you would focus on a Music Trivia game!

Ok, no problems. I will post a LOTR Trivial Pursuit question each day next week to start us off. That will nicely compliment what you have in mind.

I'll comment more later on your questions -- but on a quick read it looks good!

Weaver

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 18 2007, 1:36am

Post #3 of 31 (812 views)
Shortcut
Re: [weaver] Ah, this answers my question (posted below somewhere!) [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't want to set a precedent in any way with posting this... I just figured we couldn't really discuss how it might work without seeing it. (It seemed so much easier to just post it than to describe it.) And tonight I can post it.. I might not be able to tomorrow. I hope this doesn't mess with your plans too much. I definitely want this to be an examplar of what we might or might not do.

weaver
Half-elven

Feb 18 2007, 1:43am

Post #4 of 31 (848 views)
Shortcut
Not a problem at all... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm hoping we set all kinds of new precedents on this new format Board.

I don't mind organizing things, but the more people jump in with their own ideas, the better, really. And it's good of you to give us something to start with that provides for a lot of interaction to plan it. I'm blissful, really, to have you jump in and get things rolling!

Three Cheers for Magpie!

Weaver

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Feb 18 2007, 1:49am

Post #5 of 31 (810 views)
Shortcut
Answers [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh my... this was more challenging then I thought it was going to be!

Anyways... answers. I'll write it in grey so it'll be a bit harder to read for the average poster who is just scrolling XD

1. Caradhras, when they're walking up it. It's a very pretty scene with the mountains and everything.
2. Caradhras, in the snow storm.
3. Moria, right before it's gates, I believe.
4. This one I thought was originally from FOTR, but yea, I was obviously wrong... hum... *thinks again* Definitely Minas Morgul, then, probably the stairs.*looks at answer* And track 6 is Minas Morgul, so yay, I win ^^
5. It's from ROTK! I think this is also from Minas Morgul... though, now looking at your answer, I cannot remember what track 9 was. I remember 8, 10, and 11, but not 9 XD

But wow, I cannot believe how similar the music is! I always realized that two of these scenes had very similar music, but I never realized that the music in a certain scene was so similar to music in a whole entire different setting!

This was fun.

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

weaver
Half-elven

Feb 18 2007, 2:05am

Post #6 of 31 (785 views)
Shortcut
Ah, very challenging! [In reply to] Can't Post

I confess, I could not identify the specific scenes without listening to the clips that had the dialogue and sounds in them, though I did recognize the association with the various things that happened in connection with the climb up Caradhras.

I did not realize this theme also was used in ROTK -- but am stumped as to when and where. Are you going to tell us the answers?

I associate the theme with a sense of "foreboding" -- during times when the Fellowship senses that something "bad" is at work against them but may not be entirely sure what it is or how to cope with it.

Way back when, I had a class where I had to memorize all the themes from a classical symphony, and then identify which movement and which theme it was when the professor played an excerpt. It was tough, but I liked it. That's what your Quiz made me think of!

I really like your approach -- it's a good way of helping us to focus on the various themes of the films, and in what circumstances they are used. I hope you will do this at least once or twice a month, as I liked the challenge!

Weaver

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 18 2007, 2:27am

Post #7 of 31 (806 views)
Shortcut
feedback time [In reply to] Can't Post

okay, weaver and ainu laire, a question for you:

1. Would you like to see the answers provided right away in hidden text (or in some other format - i.e. another post... at the webpage)?
  2. Or should I wait awhile and post a visible answer after the game's been played out awhile?
(I'm loving how easy it is to format here...)

It seems like there are advantages to each.

For option 1: One can check right away. This would be advantageous if one can't visit regularly or will be gone for awhile after posting.
For option 2: One must continue to speculate awhile. This could promote discussion among members about a particularly baffling aspect.

Loresilme
Valinor

Feb 19 2007, 5:24am

Post #8 of 31 (803 views)
Shortcut
Amazing! [In reply to] Can't Post

I vividly remembered this theme from the Minas Morgul scene. But I didn't realize the other scenes where it appeared. I think that it was its blend into the next theme in that scene, when the music swells into that other theme, that made it so chilling and linked it in my mind to that scene. It's amazing that modified versions of this theme appear in so many other scenes.

As far as its meaning goes, I'd say ... ominous, foreboding..., seeing something that is full of sinister foreboding.

This was very, very challenging and very, very enjoyable. A game that lets me listen to HS' music ... aahh, what more could I ask. I would *love* seeing more of these.

Regarding answers, I would like to suggest, if you could post the answers in a separate "Spoiler" reply, to your own first post? This way, as one by one we either figure it out or get stumped, or we just would like to discuss the scenes, meanings, etc., we could do so in that separate sub-thread so as not to spoil the game for anyone.

I think this is great, Magpie (congratulations on going a-less Smile) and if this is any indication, the new Movie board is off to a fabulous start!

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 19 2007, 5:30am

Post #9 of 31 (798 views)
Shortcut
To: [Loresilme] Thanks - oh wait... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Regarding answers, I would like to suggest, if you could post the answers in a separate "Spoiler" reply, to your own first post? This way, as one by one we either figure it out or get stumped, or we just would like to discuss the scenes, meanings, etc., we could do so in that separate sub-thread so as not to spoil the game for anyone.

That's a great suggestion Loresilme... it seems so simple and obvious once you make it. I love collaborating. I'll do that now.

Thanks for the feedback.

Editing (yay! if only we could do it after 10 minutes. I find mistakes every time I read one of my posts)

On second thought, I'm wondering if this will work. Even if I create a sub thread here, if someone views in flat mode, the replies are all jumbled together. I think we need to think further on this and since this is a beta test, I'm not going to worry too much about how quickly you get the answers.

I will say, Loresilme, that your answer "I vividly remembered this theme from the Minas Morgul scene" is very interesting.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Feb 19 2007, 5:37am)

Loresilme
Valinor

Feb 19 2007, 5:41am

Post #10 of 31 (744 views)
Shortcut
Did I get that mixed up? [In reply to] Can't Post

Was it not in the Minas Morgul scene? I thought that when they were standing in front of it, that this theme was played and then the camera looms upward and the music turns into the {creepy} sounding next theme ...

That was Minas Morgul, wasn't it?

Maybe these new boards have me more disoriented than I thought.

*scratching head* and looking for "confused" smiley face Shocked?

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2007, 5:49am

Post #11 of 31 (791 views)
Shortcut
Hum hum... [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I personally love to see if I get something right or wrong right away, but either works for me. As for discussion, we can do it with or with answers right away. And I can be impatient *g* But truly, either works.

My LJ
My art site

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 19 2007, 6:25am

Post #12 of 31 (794 views)
Shortcut
*evil laugh* [In reply to] Can't Post

For Ainu Laire... I feel delightfully evil making you wait. I just really want to get weaver's input on this since she's had so much experience. (isn't that the excuse when you want someone else to be in charge?)

And for Loresilme... I will ask this. Do you listen to the soundtrack CD a lot? Because the OST can be deceiving.....

Loresilme
Valinor

Feb 19 2007, 6:44am

Post #13 of 31 (782 views)
Shortcut
Oh man, I hauled out the DVDs, I got the CDs from my car.... [In reply to] Can't Post

at 1:30am, in the freezing cold!! To figure out, where did I hear that 'snippet'?

Yes, you are absolutely correct - I listen to the CDs all the time in my car. And right now I have the headphones on, and I'm on Track 6 and ... here it comes .... at 1.30. That's it. That's where I heard it and 'vividly remembered' it - when it's attached to that second theme, it 'sticks out' so much from the rest of the music.

So - whew. Ok, at least I'm not losing my marbles about how that got associated in my head with Minas Morgul. But awfully interesting, isn't it, how the mind will 'fill in the blanks' and make you "think" you *saw* it too?

Because btw, I never even associated it with the FOTR scene where it really was! *Duh...*

Very weird.

(This post was edited by Loresilme on Feb 19 2007, 6:47am)

Aerin
Grey Havens

Feb 19 2007, 8:21am

Post #14 of 31 (759 views)
Shortcut
Pssst... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for making your text larger!

Aerin
Grey Havens

Feb 19 2007, 8:24am

Post #15 of 31 (731 views)
Shortcut
Flat mode? [In reply to] Can't Post

Forget about it! Anyone is so benighted as to view TORn in flat mode fully deserves any resulting confusion!

Death to flat mode!

(Sorry! It's just something I feel very strongly about! Even more strongly than about smileys! ;-)

Nessa Inglorion
The Shire

Feb 19 2007, 8:51am

Post #16 of 31 (771 views)
Shortcut
great game! and hello! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm new here though I've been a lurker for awhile and have read TORn for news, and been on the email and stuff for years. :)

Before listening to the movie versions, I knew the first 2 of them, the third the movie clip one helped. the fourth and fifth I thought the same about the minas morgul theme. :) I'm proud of my obsessiveness. Listening to the soundtack in the car did throw me off, but your clue helped. Like loresilme said I associated that one clip with the next part. My guesses (in gray) are :1. Walking in the snow. 2. Caradhras 3. Right before Moria 4.Minas Morgul? 5.Minas Morgul?

As for feeling: foreboding, danger, and maybe mountains :)

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2007, 8:56am

Post #17 of 31 (727 views)
Shortcut
Welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's awesome that the new boards are bringing out many of the lurkers ^^

Great avatar... I do think I am going to start drooling now ;P

My LJ
My art site

Nessa Inglorion
The Shire

Feb 19 2007, 9:28am

Post #18 of 31 (761 views)
Shortcut
Thanks!! and more to my guess :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Ainu Laire. I don't remeber where I found it, but saved it for my very own on my 'puter. Yes it is an awesome pic. :) Heart

Regarding the game, I went to check out your site, magpie, and wow!! awesoem worka nd dedictaion. I was wondering what hteme it could be and so your list if themes, and looked for.. (I will put spoilers in grey writing now): So I looked for Caradras or mountain and saw Dangerous Passage and yes, now Cirith ungol makes more sense. :) than Minas Morgul. That was hard because I do listen to the origina soundtrack more than the complete recording for FOTR which I only did once.
Great game :) Wink

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 19 2007, 3:15pm

Post #19 of 31 (749 views)
Shortcut
I see the birth of new footers: Death to Flat Mode! Flat Mode is Evil! It Must Be Destroyed! Exterminate! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Forget about it! Anyone is so benighted as to view TORn in flat mode fully deserves any resulting confusion!

Death to flat mode!

(Sorry! It's just something I feel very strongly about! Even more strongly than about smileys! ;-)

Ah.. come on... tell us how you really feel! Wink

And look.. I've quoted you and used a smilie too. *would pat you soothingly on the back but I'm not sure how close it's safe to get*

I am now experimenting with threaded mode because, even though I like flat mode at other places, I think we are all in a mental theaded mode here and it just works out differently. I can tell you, threaded mode is giving me issues too. I could elaborate but perhaps it should go in the feedback section.

But, the reality is we have the option of flat mode so, if the game is to work... one must consider it. There... nicely diplomatic don't you think. One would think *I* never have strong opinions. (which is certainly not the case...)

weaver
Half-elven

Feb 19 2007, 5:31pm

Post #20 of 31 (730 views)
Shortcut
I say, make us wait! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the standard way the quizzes have been done on Main is to post the answers separately -- a week later? (not sure on the time frame). That makes sense for here, too, I think, particularly for the kind of wonderful quiz you've come up with, which is good fodder for discussion, listening to the CD's, watching the films, etc.

Did you give any thought to a virtual prize for the winner(s)? These are tough, so it would be well earned!

Weaver

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 19 2007, 6:11pm

Post #21 of 31 (737 views)
Shortcut
prizes... [In reply to] Can't Post

Prizes: I'd be hard pressed to determine a winner or even a winning status. I'm very much about participation not winning being the goal. But I claim (on my resume) that I'm known for creative problem solving so I'll think on it.

I think I'm tempted to wait for the answers, as well... and I see that's what you're doing for the trivia challenge. It would be good to be consistent.

Anyone else have a thought?

And you guys are allowed to talk amongst yourself about the challenge either before or after you've answered. I'll be keeping my comments pretty light until I've provided the final answers. The most stimulating conversation will come from the participants during the challenge.

In Reply To
I think the standard way the quizzes have been done on Main is to post the answers separately -- a week later? (not sure on the time frame). That makes sense for here, too, I think, particularly for the kind of wonderful quiz you've come up with, which is good fodder for discussion, listening to the CD's, watching the films, etc.

Did you give any thought to a virtual prize for the winner(s)? These are tough, so it would be well earned!

Loresilme
Valinor

Feb 19 2007, 8:16pm

Post #22 of 31 (730 views)
Shortcut
*looks around* You talkin' to me? [In reply to] Can't Post

"You see anybody else in here on 12pt :-)?"

Actually I wish I could make this my default. But I looked in the Edit Profile menu and didn't find that option. Maybe I missed it?

Anyone know if we can do that?

I know, I know .... take it to Feedback ....okayyyy....

*flings coat over shoulder ... trudges off ..*

Aerin
Grey Havens

Feb 20 2007, 4:15am

Post #23 of 31 (716 views)
Shortcut
My understanding [In reply to] Can't Post

is that there's no way to change the default display of one's own posts. But if you learn something new, let me know.

Loresilme
Valinor

Feb 21 2007, 2:18am

Post #24 of 31 (722 views)
Shortcut
A belated hello! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm still running around trying to accustom myself to the new look here. Just wanted to pop back in and say hi and it's so nice you decided to de-lurk!

Having the soundtracks to listen to in the car is great, isn't it? I don't know how I'd get through some commuting traffic jams without them. I listen to the music and try to reconstruct the scenes in my head. Although as I'm learning from Magpie, sometimes the soundtrack is *not* what actually was in the movie. Seems I may have 'reconstructed' some scenes entirely in my imagination Crazy.

I love your nick "Nessa Inglorion" Smile. Hoping you stick around, it looks like the "new" Movie boards are off to a great start!

Nessa Inglorion
The Shire

Feb 21 2007, 2:40am

Post #25 of 31 (712 views)
Shortcut
Hello back :) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

......Although as I'm learning from Magpie, sometimes the soundtrack is *not* what actually was in the movie. Seems I may have 'reconstructed' some scenes entirely in my imagination Crazy.

I love your nick "Nessa Inglorion" Smile.

Regarding reconstructing imaginary scenes, I guess I do that too! LOL
Thanks!!! My nick is my elven name from one of those online generators LOL

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.