All Hail Tolkienia! A proposed anthem collaboration--
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

silneldor
Half-elven

Aug 20 2013, 3:16am

Post #76 of 127 (598 views)
Shortcut
I was just wondering.... [In reply to] Can't Post

when you proposed the possibility of using the other fields d, i was trying to envision the totality of the Tolkien experience or Tolkien's world, so jumped with delight thinking of:

or:

Eä!

What do you make of this Daniel and Ethel?

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 20 2013, 6:58am

Post #77 of 127 (596 views)
Shortcut
Eä! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if we could incorporate Eä! with the White Tree, so that it looks like it is growing out of Eä? Not sure how I could do it without it looking messy? Perhaps I could manipulate the roots into an E and A?

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 20 2013, 12:41pm

Post #78 of 127 (599 views)
Shortcut
Something like this ... [In reply to] Can't Post

It even works as a second flag. Wink It also needs a motto! Suggestions?

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Aug 20 2013, 1:07pm

Post #79 of 127 (585 views)
Shortcut
I so want this on a t-shirt!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great job once again, Daniel!

Welcome more children to Middle Earth. Support The S.H.I.R.E. Project!

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Aug 20 2013, 2:19pm

Post #80 of 127 (593 views)
Shortcut
Mottoes? [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe some of these? Perhaps in Elvish, mimicking Latin?

Not all those who wander are lost

The strong that is old does not wither

Old,Strong, Unwithered

The night is passing

A (single) dream is more powerful than a thousand realities

Good and Evil have not changed since yesteryear

Darkness must pass

What is lost, shall be, forever held in memory

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Aug 20 2013, 10:49pm

Post #81 of 127 (590 views)
Shortcut
Lovely graphic DLB! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your work, Daniel, this is terrific! I'm in favor of going with your design, at least as a template/basis for development, with some suggestions if I may.

I take it that the two animals--which appear to be a wolf (a Warg?) on the right and a gryphon on the left--are placeholders? I would vote for a Dragon and a Great Eagle to take their places. I have noticed arguments posted in favor of including a Dragon on the flag, which would apply to the coat of arms as well. But if not a Dragon, then perhaps an Ent. I would be fine either way but a Dragon would probably look better on a coat of arms than an Ent. (I thought of a horse but discarded that idea because that would make the Dragon look too small. I also thought of the Argonath twins, but discarded that as too Gondor-specific.)

I dig the seven stars, and the icons in the center, except for what appears to be a ship with an unfurled white sail adorned with a red Eye of Sauron, if I'm seeing that correctly(?) A ship would be good, but maybe just leave the sail plain white, or with a swan perhaps?

For the twin laurel (or olive?) branches, perhaps instead gold (mallorn) leaves? And then change the stars from gold to white?

Sorry if I am sounding like a back-seat graphic designer! Blush

-RT

A bag is like a hole that you can carry with you.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

silneldor
Half-elven

Aug 21 2013, 12:33am

Post #82 of 127 (576 views)
Shortcut
Geez Daniel, you are on a roll! [In reply to] Can't Post

Leaps and bounds it isSmile

Ok my 2cents. I would go with two eagles preferably or two dragons. I am not sure which ring is exhibited there but my idea might work for any ring where instead of a pipe could be the flower Elanor to symbolize hope.

I like Rux's idea with the white stars, perhaps even with radiant or radiance lines And golden lorien leaves sounds good. Or twining laural and lorien leaves perhaps.

The field of light blue could be darker i think. It would highlight the stars more. The sauronic eye on the sail i do not understand. Perhaps the banner could display in some manner the thought of 'unity'.

Maybe too many ideas here Daniel ha! But this is fun.

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 21 2013, 6:56am

Post #83 of 127 (561 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for all the suggestions! [In reply to] Can't Post

Though, it's rather scary. Are you and Rux inside my head? Because pretty much everything you both suggested was what I thought as well (and some of which I had changed).

The gryphon is supposed to be a dragon (or an eagle), and it was originally on both sides. It's difficult to get anything that fits well, or anything that isn't the same as the Welsh dragon. For the Elanor flower - that was on there but I took it off, as I didn't like the picture I was using. I can't draw, so there is no way an Ent is going to be a placeholder. Wink The other placeholder could be either a wolf (warg) or a dog. I did try using a number of other animals - a bear, a fox, even an elephant/oliphaunt. I thought wolf/dog worked best.

I agree about the white stars and the colour of the leaves - neither of which sit right with me. I like the idea of white stars. A darker background will fit in better once those colours have been changed.

The Eye of Sauron - I placed it there as a kind of "joke". It fitted too perfectly on that white sail not to be included. Laugh But there was a Swan originally there! I change that back round.

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Aug 21 2013, 1:24pm

Post #84 of 127 (568 views)
Shortcut
'Twould be an honor! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for thinking of me for vocals, sineldor and E.D.! I am willing to serve, with a chorus of everyone or in duet with Greendragon as the case may be. Smile

A bag is like a hole that you can carry with you.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 21 2013, 2:00pm

Post #85 of 127 (556 views)
Shortcut
I love the Anthem Ethel! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Aug 21 2013, 4:49pm

Post #86 of 127 (558 views)
Shortcut
More mottoes [In reply to] Can't Post

Elves, Men, Dwarves, Hobbits

I desire Dragons

The road goes ever on and on

A fair green country, under a swift sunrise

Into the West

East of the Moon and West of the Sun

History, Legend, Myth

Myth is our Legend, Legend our History

Again, this could be rendered into Elvish, to mimic the old Latin mottoes of some houses.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 22 2013, 9:28am

Post #87 of 127 (542 views)
Shortcut
Good suggestions. I was thinking: [In reply to] Can't Post

"Wes þu hal" ("good health to you").

Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 22 2013, 11:17am

Post #88 of 127 (556 views)
Shortcut
Does (something like) this work better, than the other one? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's still not finished (I want to colour the trees yellow/gold and silver/grey), and I'm not sure if it has the traditional Coat of Arms "feel" to it.

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Aug 22 2013, 1:15pm

Post #89 of 127 (532 views)
Shortcut
Very striking! [In reply to] Can't Post

But perhaps you could switch the placement of the ship and the anvil? The pointy end of the weapons aimed at the swan sail look rather deadly ;-). Then maybe transpose the blue ground with the green? (It seems more apropos to have the ship on a water color.)

My two pence-worth, Daniel :-). I'm really enjoying watching this come together. Hope this is as much fun for you as it is for us!

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 22 2013, 2:02pm

Post #90 of 127 (537 views)
Shortcut
"Ring true" / [In reply to] Can't Post

Once Gandalf dreamt he was a moth, a moth flitting and fluttering around, happy with himself and doing as he pleased. He didn't know he was Gandalf. Suddenly he woke up and there he was, solid and unmistakably Gandalf. But he didn't know if he was Gandalf who had dreamt he was a moth, or a moth dreaming he was Gandalf. Between Gandalf and a moth there must be some distinction! But really, there isn't, because he's actually Olórin dreaming he's both Gandalf *and* a moth!
-From Gandalfi: The Moth Dream

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Aug 22 2013, 3:36pm

Post #91 of 127 (533 views)
Shortcut
No, it was the Armadillo version [In reply to] Can't Post

and I simply can't keep it out of my head (although, oddly, it does keep alternating with Dvorak's American String Quartet).

Thanks, and I'm glad you approve!Smile

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Aug 22 2013, 3:40pm

Post #92 of 127 (531 views)
Shortcut
I salute your unflagging enthusiasm! Er . . . I mean your [In reply to] Can't Post

flagging enth . . . I mean your artistry and diligence in producing a gorgeous final version. There! Laugh

Thank you, Daniel!

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 22 2013, 3:51pm

Post #93 of 127 (535 views)
Shortcut
A bit of poetry Ethel [In reply to] Can't Post

My first foray into alliterative form (re-read Fall of Arthur to get a feel) seems appropriate for a Tolkien tribute! Maybe we can use it somewhere?

Growing Hope

A slender stalk of tree - stands dreaming
On sloping shale - enfolded, waiting.
Seven years of looming, - of clouds and chill.
Sounds and senses dim - from seed, the womb of memory
Of time and tale - of those that come before:
Nimloth and Telperion - names echo, long removed
And roots recall a hill - so high and fair.
Snow softens now, - and syrup that is blood
Flows strong and wonders - if day has come
If sun and ice among - those furrows melting
Are sign of life, - of promise for blossom.

Dreaming it stands - while glowing orb in the sky
Warms waiting land. - Behold a sound,
Unknown, nigh it comes. - Foot falls grate here
On this land of stone - and dying snow.
No eyes to see - yet two stand there.
No sight of silver tree, - nor of robes of glowing white;
But scent adored there is: - shade of air from Valinor.
Hear "Ye! Utuvienyes! - I have found it! Lo!"
Gentle grip yet firm - pulls the sapling free
From exile, alone - in cold and barren soil.

Then white walls gleam - water trickles, roots tingle.
Silver trumpets cheer, - song and spirits raise.
Seasons of peace - roll by and 'round again
And children tumble - on the green grass
In dapple shade - of seedling from a lonely hill;
with limbs stretched far - and open to the light,
That sweetly does flower - and offer silent truth
Hope of Men blooms - beneath the sun, eternal.

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Aug 22 2013, 3:52pm

Post #94 of 127 (525 views)
Shortcut
Hey, do you think [In reply to] Can't Post

you could record a version with Quacking Troll?

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Aug 22 2013, 3:57pm

Post #95 of 127 (523 views)
Shortcut
I realized I'd almost [In reply to] Can't Post

stopped breathing half way through. Amazing! I'm in awe.

Yes, this need to go on the monumnet if at all possible. I think I'm going to post (off of my original at the top) a call for about 3 more poems for the monument! This is perfect for that.Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 22 2013, 4:02pm

Post #96 of 127 (516 views)
Shortcut
This is brilliant Brethil. / [In reply to] Can't Post

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Aug 22 2013, 4:02pm

Post #97 of 127 (514 views)
Shortcut
Your best one yet, Brethil!! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is the type of poem one can savor with multiple readings. I think it's sublime. Smile

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 22 2013, 4:03pm

Post #98 of 127 (516 views)
Shortcut
Thanks so much E-D ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad you like it! SmileSmile Blush

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 22 2013, 4:04pm

Post #99 of 127 (512 views)
Shortcut
It's a good distraction ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

And far too addictive. Everyone's suggestions are great. We need an architect and builder to build our Town Hall. The flag needs to fly somewhere. Wink

P.S. I hope you had a nice trip away. Were you visiting the Twins?

Smile

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 22 2013, 4:07pm

Post #100 of 127 (511 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Daniel!! [In reply to] Can't Post

As are your flags - brilliant designs to fly in the wind (which you can predict for us too, works out nicely) WinkCool

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.