Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
SCAdians? Re-enactors?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Aug 21 2013, 3:45am

Post #1 of 26 (388 views)
Shortcut
SCAdians? Re-enactors? Can't Post

At Rembrethil's suggestion, I'm starting this thread to see if there are any other medieval re-enactors here. I played in the SCA for about 10 years, known as Lord Peter Bonaventure, or Pete the Bos'n.

That's me on the right.

Most of our combat is with wooden (rattan) weapons, minimum diameter one and a quarter inches. Helmet eyeslots are maximum one inch, so there are no worries about putting an eye out. Pirate

Wounds and deaths are determined by the honor system; if someone hits you hard enough that you think you ought to be dead, fall down and play dead. Ignoring a good hit is called rhino-hiding and will get you hit by someone big and strong enough that you WILL accept it as a deathblow. Nobody likes a rhino.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and his wonders in the deep.

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Aug 21 2013, 4:23am)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 21 2013, 4:24am

Post #2 of 26 (329 views)
Shortcut
I hate doing this to a new board member, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I've removed your images because they're oversized. Feel free to resize them to our guidelines in TORN 201, which I'll paste below for you, and repost them within this thread:

The specific guidelines for posting pictures within the message body of your post are as follows: the maximum size of any picture posted should be 525 wide x 400 pixels high (or a better measure is: 210,000 pixels squared - width x height), but no wider than 670 pixels. The maximum file size per picture should be 45k. The cumulative file size of all pictures in one post should not exceed 225k (5 pictures of the maximum filesize of 45k, 10 pictures of a filesize of 22.5k, etc.). These guidelnes apply to pictures hosted on other sites as well as to pictures posted as attachments to your post. For more detailed help on posting within a message body, check out Magpie's step-by-step TORn Image Posting Guide.

How much time do you put into re-enactments?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Aug 21 2013, 4:46am

Post #3 of 26 (319 views)
Shortcut
I apologize! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll post smaller versions here:

Both of these are under 525x400; is that all right? I had no intention of violating the rules here. And if anyone wants bigger copies, feel free to PM me.

I was an active member of the SCA for about 10 years. On average, I think I went to an event about one weekend a month and fighter practice once a week, so I certainly put a lot of time into that hobby.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and his wonders in the deep.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 21 2013, 4:48am

Post #4 of 26 (294 views)
Shortcut
Woohoo! Those are good - thanks Meneldor. :) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 21 2013, 4:49am

Post #5 of 26 (301 views)
Shortcut
Pictures are lovely! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for posting them. I haven't done any SCA myself but I am always impressed when I see the dedication that goes into much of the detailing.

Do most people craft their own garments, or is there someplace that one orders from?

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Aug 21 2013, 2:22pm

Post #6 of 26 (287 views)
Shortcut
Garb & more [In reply to] Can't Post

Many people do sew their own garb, but I'm not one of them; my talents lie more towards hitting people with sticks. There are about a kajillion websites where you can buy garb, and many SCA members will be happy to sell what they've sewn, or even take commissions for custom work. There are SCA merchants who make enough money to cover their membership fees and expenses; not many make an actual living doing that, but it can be enough to balance the costs of the hobby.

Don't let my pictures fool you into thinking all we do is fight. I'd guess only 1 in 10 is an authorized fighter. There are also bards, brewers, dancers, equestrians, archers, cooks, taylors, smiths, tanners, weavers, scribes, heralds, chirurgeons, courtiers, and just about anything else that real people did in medieval times. It's not a perfect immersion in medieval history, but there is a kind of magic to it when everything comes together.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Aug 21 2013, 5:19pm

Post #7 of 26 (286 views)
Shortcut
Soooooo....... [In reply to] Can't Post

How did you get into all of this?

I think that is pretty cool, but I have no transport of my own, and live a good hour from the nearest meet-up.

For any one else who is interested, how would you start?

What would it cost to get in the door?

How cool would it be to see a Sauron and Elendil, Reenactor go head to head?

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 21 2013, 5:51pm

Post #8 of 26 (287 views)
Shortcut
I'm rather in the hitting-with-sticks category as well! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Many people do sew their own garb, but I'm not one of them; my talents lie more towards hitting people with sticks. There are about a kajillion websites where you can buy garb, and many SCA members will be happy to sell what they've sewn, or even take commissions for custom work. There are SCA merchants who make enough money to cover their membership fees and expenses; not many make an actual living doing that, but it can be enough to balance the costs of the hobby.

Don't let my pictures fool you into thinking all we do is fight. I'd guess only 1 in 10 is an authorized fighter. There are also bards, brewers, dancers, equestrians, archers, cooks, taylors, smiths, tanners, weavers, scribes, heralds, chirurgeons, courtiers, and just about anything else that real people did in medieval times. It's not a perfect immersion in medieval history, but there is a kind of magic to it when everything comes together.

I would suppose you could provide a very necessary skill, especially if you have a knack for sewing and making things look appropriately period. It must be a bit magic, when people can use their real-world talents to create a bit of a lost world while you are all together. And offsetting cost I am sure is a significant perk - very immersive sort of hobby it seems!

How does one become authorized to fight, BTW?

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Aug 22 2013, 2:34am

Post #9 of 26 (310 views)
Shortcut
Getting involved [In reply to] Can't Post

Just show up and say, "I've never been to one of these, but it looks cool." We were all new once and we'll take care of you. Most groups have some extra garb for newbies to borrow and at least one person assigned to welcoming newbies.

The basic costs are surprisingly cheap. A typical weekend event was usually about twenty dollars, food included. There is also an annual membership fee, which is not required to attend events, but does get you a discount, so it is worth the cost if you play often.

Most groups have webpages and/or Facebook pages. Making contact and being expected when you show up at a stranger's door is a good thing. You can expect a friendly greeting online as well. With luck, you may even find someone to carpool with.

Learning to fight is no different from getting involved. Just show up and ask if you can try it. Most groups have loaner gear to get the newbies started. Guys, I strongly recommend bringing your own cup. Listen to the people telling you what to do; they have been doing this for years and they want you to have fun, not get hurt, and come back next week.

Have I covered all your questions? If not, ask away!

I almost forgot! You fine folk would probably appreciate the Halloween event hosted by a group in Louisiana: Ork Wars! SCA events normally try to maintain a certain appearance of historical authenticity, but that gets tossed aside at Ork Wars. Most Scadians love costumes, Halloween, and JRRT, so the results are often remarkable. Just consider yourself warned to beware of Billy Balrog!

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 23 2013, 2:02am

Post #10 of 26 (251 views)
Shortcut
Ork Wars sounds like a blast!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Interesting there is a Billy Balrog that lives in my front garden... LaughWink

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Aug 23 2013, 10:29pm

Post #11 of 26 (249 views)
Shortcut
Trying not to be rude... [In reply to] Can't Post

But is Billy kind of... well... stoned?

So what is the PC term for those people? Petrified-Maiar? Mobility-Challenged-Valaraukar?

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 24 2013, 12:13am

Post #12 of 26 (231 views)
Shortcut
(**hahahah!!!*) Yes, my Billy is a bit of a stone-r ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think he's a Balrog-Troll hybrid. I suppose I should have offered him a beach umbrella!!! LaughWinkCool

CuriousG
Valinor

Aug 27 2013, 12:09am

Post #13 of 26 (217 views)
Shortcut
I notice he has wings [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad we've settled that issue once and for all. Wink

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 27 2013, 12:53am

Post #14 of 26 (206 views)
Shortcut
Indeed -- he does have wings! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow. Maybe I should have posted his picture years ago. Wink On the other hand I did enjoy all that debating...

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Aug 27 2013, 2:54am

Post #15 of 26 (205 views)
Shortcut
More pictures, anyone? [In reply to] Can't Post

Since the previous pictures focused on heavy fighting, I ought to show some other aspects of Society life.
Here's a royal court; my kneeling kilted friend is receiving his Award of Arms; he is now recognized as a noble and may be addressed as Lord (Name).

This is the deadliest archer I know. He regularly wins the kingdom archery contest.

Horse archer at work.

Water bearers! The wonderful people who bring drinks to the battlefield for the thirsty fighters. Dehydration is the biggest danger in SCA combat.

Swashbucklers on our portable "ship" the Briar Rose. Fencing with rapiers is a whole 'nother game, rather different from heavy fighting, and crazy fun!

CuriousG
Valinor

Aug 27 2013, 10:50am

Post #16 of 26 (211 views)
Shortcut
Expert archers are amazing [In reply to] Can't Post

I took a class in it once, but never had the finesse for it to become very good. Watching pros in action is quite a spectacle. I hope that skill never dies out.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Aug 27 2013, 1:35pm

Post #17 of 26 (195 views)
Shortcut
This looks like fun [In reply to] Can't Post

But I have no transport/time!!

Maybe after school is over......

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Aug 27 2013, 11:37pm

Post #18 of 26 (188 views)
Shortcut
Well, since you can't play... [In reply to] Can't Post

...at least you can look at more pictures of other people playing, right? :D

Fox puppets at the head table for feast. There may be a good reason for this. Then again, knowing those two, there may not be.

This was a Princess Bride themed event. Those are, obviously, ROUSes.

That's a baroness with a glaive. She's a fun one to fight.

The lady standing on the left has been kingdom bard several times. She's an amazing singer and composer.

The annual Gulf Wars Ravine Battle. Been there, done that, got the bruises. Good times!

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Aug 28 2013, 12:56am

Post #19 of 26 (190 views)
Shortcut
SCA? [In reply to] Can't Post

I just occurred to me that I haven't explained what the SCA is. The Society for Creative Anachronism began in the 60s as a party for friends who wanted to escape the modern world for a day. It has expanded over most of the world with many thousands of members. The only requirement to join is that you want to play at living the good parts of medieval history. For more info and to find the group nearest you, go to www.sca.org

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Aug 29 2013, 2:34am

Post #20 of 26 (179 views)
Shortcut
Memories, all alone in the moonlight [In reply to] Can't Post

Since I started this thread, I've been enjoying looking at all the old pics in dusty folders that I haven't opened in ages. So if no one minds, I'll share a few more of my favorites.

Feast at a middle eastern themed event. That's me in the purple. I remember that the food was great, but I'm a really big fan of chairs.

King John the Tall. I think he's 6'5", strong as a troll, and quick as an elf. I'd guess my average fighting against him was probably about .01 on a good day.

Warpaint looks better on some people than others.

Firedance.

Mutiny on the good ship Briar Rose! Yours truly is already "dead" and sprawled on the maindeck at the foot of the mast.

Leaping from the quarterdeck with a sword in each hand. Yarrr!

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Sep 1 2013, 3:06am

Post #21 of 26 (172 views)
Shortcut
Found a few more favorites... [In reply to] Can't Post

Fighting 2 vs 1 is fun. The 1 needs to be quick on his feet.

Archery range

This is a baron, and one of the funniest guys I know. Also a talented beat poet.

Fencing demo at a Civil War era fort in Maine. I'm using my curved blade rapier and a belaying pin; my opponent has a straight rapier and a buckler.

Heavy longsword duel

The end of a rapier duel between ladies

That's me, bottom center, back to the camera, in a red and black surcoat with a prancing ram (colors of the Kingdom of Gleann Abhann)

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 1 2013, 3:30am

Post #22 of 26 (175 views)
Shortcut
Pics are amazing! [In reply to] Can't Post

I must say I really get a kick out of that Sissies poster. Hysterical!!!!! SmileSmileCoolCool

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Sep 2 2013, 5:07pm

Post #23 of 26 (161 views)
Shortcut
The most beautiful ladies I've ever known [In reply to] Can't Post

play in the SCA.

This is my favorite queen with her youngest of four. (She had one, then twins, then another one, known as the heir, the pair, and the spare.) Not only is she pretty and sweet, she fences and sings sea shanties.

Don't let the beautiful face and sweet smile fool you; she can carve you like a turkey with rapiers and daggers. But she's so much fun that you'll love the way she kills you.

A whole couchload of pretty ladies welcomed me home after my last deployment to Iraq. These aren't just people I played with; I've had many real caring friends in the SCA. That's probably because most of us genuinely try for virtues like courtesy, honor, and chivalry.

Most SCA ladies are also world-class huggers. :)

One more pretty girl picture, and for the ladies, a baron whom SCA ladies seem to find attractive.

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Sep 4 2013, 4:33am

Post #24 of 26 (156 views)
Shortcut
More action shots, you say? [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, very well.

That's me in the middle, and this, gentlemen, is known as a target rich environment.

If you ever get a chance to fence on a giant seesaw, do it. Not only does it make you very aware of your footwork, it's crazy fun!

Your eyes are not playing tricks on you, that really is a dueling plague doctor.

Me and my madu. The madu is a weapon from northern India, basically a buckler with two long spikes sticking out of it. I was never able to do much with it offensively, but it makes a great off hand parry weapon, and it looks intimidating.

Knife fight. I was pretty quick back in the day, but that kid I'm fighting is insanely fast.

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Sep 6 2013, 12:39am

Post #25 of 26 (150 views)
Shortcut
Funny pics. [In reply to] Can't Post

Medieval style scrolls are given as awards for exceptional service to the society, and talented indeed are the artisans who draw them. Someone found this image in a medieval bestiary:

That image inspired this award scroll, which presumably has an amusing tale behind it. Those of us who know him easily recognize the prone form of one of our kings, Jon the Tall. The artist should also be commended for the smirk on the face of the llama.

Apparently, it's good to be king, and it's tedious to be queen.

Friends being silly.

Royal courts are supposed to be solemn, ceremonious affairs. I had the royals and their entire entourage in stitches when I inducted the young lady into the order of the stick.

I was instructing her in the words I had composed for the edification of members of the Order of the Stick, which began, "This is my stick. There are many like it, but this one is mine." I concluded by yelling, "Show me your war face!" She did. I want to go to her war.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.