Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Getting involved

Meneldor
Grey Havens

Aug 22 2013, 2:34am

Views: 256
Shortcut
Getting involved [In reply to] Can't Post

Just show up and say, "I've never been to one of these, but it looks cool." We were all new once and we'll take care of you. Most groups have some extra garb for newbies to borrow and at least one person assigned to welcoming newbies.

The basic costs are surprisingly cheap. A typical weekend event was usually about twenty dollars, food included. There is also an annual membership fee, which is not required to attend events, but does get you a discount, so it is worth the cost if you play often.

Most groups have webpages and/or Facebook pages. Making contact and being expected when you show up at a stranger's door is a good thing. You can expect a friendly greeting online as well. With luck, you may even find someone to carpool with.

Learning to fight is no different from getting involved. Just show up and ask if you can try it. Most groups have loaner gear to get the newbies started. Guys, I strongly recommend bringing your own cup. Listen to the people telling you what to do; they have been doing this for years and they want you to have fun, not get hurt, and come back next week.

Have I covered all your questions? If not, ask away!

I almost forgot! You fine folk would probably appreciate the Halloween event hosted by a group in Louisiana: Ork Wars! SCA events normally try to maintain a certain appearance of historical authenticity, but that gets tossed aside at Ork Wars. Most Scadians love costumes, Halloween, and JRRT, so the results are often remarkable. Just consider yourself warned to beware of Billy Balrog!

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and his wonders in the deep.

Subject User Time
SCAdians? Re-enactors? Meneldor Send a private message to Meneldor Aug 21 2013, 3:45am
    I hate doing this to a new board member, but... Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Aug 21 2013, 4:24am
        I apologize! Meneldor Send a private message to Meneldor Aug 21 2013, 4:46am
            Woohoo! Those are good - thanks Meneldor. :) / Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Aug 21 2013, 4:48am
            Pictures are lovely! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Aug 21 2013, 4:49am
                Garb & more Meneldor Send a private message to Meneldor Aug 21 2013, 2:22pm
                    I'm rather in the hitting-with-sticks category as well! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Aug 21 2013, 5:51pm
                        Getting involved Meneldor Send a private message to Meneldor Aug 22 2013, 2:34am
                            Ork Wars sounds like a blast!!! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Aug 23 2013, 2:02am
                                Trying not to be rude... Meneldor Send a private message to Meneldor Aug 23 2013, 10:29pm
                                    (**hahahah!!!*) Yes, my Billy is a bit of a stone-r ... Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Aug 24 2013, 12:13am
                                        I notice he has wings CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Aug 27 2013, 12:09am
                                            Indeed -- he does have wings! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Aug 27 2013, 12:53am
            Soooooo....... Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Aug 21 2013, 5:19pm
                More pictures, anyone? Meneldor Send a private message to Meneldor Aug 27 2013, 2:54am
                    Expert archers are amazing CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Aug 27 2013, 10:50am
                    This looks like fun Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Aug 27 2013, 1:35pm
                        Well, since you can't play... Meneldor Send a private message to Meneldor Aug 27 2013, 11:37pm
    SCA? Meneldor Send a private message to Meneldor Aug 28 2013, 12:56am
        Memories, all alone in the moonlight Meneldor Send a private message to Meneldor Aug 29 2013, 2:34am
            Found a few more favorites... Meneldor Send a private message to Meneldor Sep 1 2013, 3:06am
                Pics are amazing! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Sep 1 2013, 3:30am
    The most beautiful ladies I've ever known Meneldor Send a private message to Meneldor Sep 2 2013, 5:07pm
    More action shots, you say? Meneldor Send a private message to Meneldor Sep 4 2013, 4:33am
    Funny pics. Meneldor Send a private message to Meneldor Sep 6 2013, 12:39am
    Typical Feast Menu Meneldor Send a private message to Meneldor Sep 27 2013, 3:21am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.