Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Which musical instrument do you play and if none which one would you like to play?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Which musical instrument do you play and if none which one would you like to play?
Guitar(Acoustic,electric,bass)
Piano
Drums
Banjo
Violin
Ukulele
Bass
Double Bass
Any woodwind instrument
Any brass instrument
Other percussion instruments
Other(please name)
View Results (99 votes)

Morok Cloudkeeper
Rohan

Aug 21 2013, 1:28pm

Post #1 of 45 (480 views)
Shortcut
Which musical instrument do you play and if none which one would you like to play? Can't Post

I've been playing on an acoustic guitar for about 3 months now so I was wondering which ones the members on Torn play. I couldn't name all instruments obviously, but I listed some which came to mind. So if you play anything else please name so.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Aug 21 2013, 2:07pm

Post #2 of 45 (283 views)
Shortcut
Piano [In reply to] Can't Post

I took lessons for seven years starting in first grade. I don't play too much anymore, just whenever the mood strikes. And occasionally for church.

I'd love to be able to play the violin. Maybe one day I'll learn.

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 21 2013, 4:47pm

Post #3 of 45 (266 views)
Shortcut
Flute [In reply to] Can't Post

Although I don't really play anymore. Once in a while I take out my flute and blow a bit on it. Don't want to call it making music, it has become hard to hit the high notes.

If I could play anything I would like to play the cello. I love the sound it makes.

Lothwen
Rivendell

Aug 21 2013, 4:51pm

Post #4 of 45 (270 views)
Shortcut
Flute [In reply to] Can't Post

I play the flute, the piano and I sing, but the flute is my main instrument. I also adore music theory, and want to study music composition and scoring music for movies.

I've always been tempted to try guitar, but I never seem to have any spare time for another instrument. Frown

Morok Cloudkeeper
Rohan

Aug 21 2013, 5:23pm

Post #5 of 45 (253 views)
Shortcut
Trust me, you can find the time [In reply to] Can't Post

Time is never an excuse not to try something.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Aug 21 2013, 5:27pm

Post #6 of 45 (251 views)
Shortcut
I play a few (mediocrely) [In reply to] Can't Post

I took piano for a while, but gave it up for a year. I'm getting back into it, but need to restart lessons.

I learned to improv on the harmonica, it's around here somewhere.....

I also am currently learning up ocarina, and it's really fun!

I'm pretty much dabbling though. I'd like to really master the piano though.

Lothwen
Rivendell

Aug 21 2013, 6:23pm

Post #7 of 45 (238 views)
Shortcut
I know, lol [In reply to] Can't Post

But it all adds up somehow, 1 hour to 1 1/2 flute practise, then 1/2 hour singing, and then piano...add theory to that and you're looking at over three hours per day. Crazy

Still, you're right, I shouldn't make excuses. Laugh Guitar is really cool, and will go so nicely with my singing. Maybe I can fit it in the Weekend or something. Cool

(This post was edited by Lothwen on Aug 21 2013, 6:25pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 21 2013, 7:33pm

Post #8 of 45 (234 views)
Shortcut
I used to play the trombone. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been a good view years since I picked it up, and I'm not sure whether I'd still be any good. I did a couple of exams in the UK with it. I'd like to take it up again, but not sure my partner would agree. Wink

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Aug 21 2013, 9:14pm

Post #9 of 45 (267 views)
Shortcut
A few others, besides some mentioned. [In reply to] Can't Post

I took piano lessons as a child, but mostly play by ear (using all ten fingers).

I taught myself ukulele as a child as well.

I learned to play acoustic guitar from a public TV show "Laura Webber's guitar lessons". I got through my teen years by "pouring my troubles down the guitar hole".

I played viola in junior high and high school orchestra.

I played fiddle in a ceiligh band for a short time in college.

I taught myself folk harp and play it in church. And on youtube.

I've also played around with a recorder, zurna, concertina, dulcimer, autoharp, tin-can banjo, celestaphone, and strumstick. Oh, and vuvuzela

Jack of all instruments, master of none!

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Aug 21 2013, 9:22pm)

acheron
Gondor

Aug 22 2013, 1:16am

Post #10 of 45 (229 views)
Shortcut
Guitar [In reply to] Can't Post

I've played acoustic guitar for years, though not as much as I did when I was in college, say.

I used to play trombone many years ago, but it's been an awfully long time.

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Aug 22 2013, 1:29am

Post #11 of 45 (225 views)
Shortcut
Piano, for 14 years now. [In reply to] Can't Post

Love it, and wouldn't give it up for the world.

I did try to pick up the guitar, but my fingers were too big and clumsy for the fretboard. It was so hard. I gave up after a couple of weeks in despair.

Morok Cloudkeeper
Rohan

Aug 22 2013, 7:30am

Post #12 of 45 (260 views)
Shortcut
Well I used to think that I had too small fingers for guitar [In reply to] Can't Post

And was frustrated many times. But that passes and soon you get better.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Aug 22 2013, 5:54pm

Post #13 of 45 (214 views)
Shortcut
Wow, that was fantastic! [In reply to] Can't Post

Very beautiful! It's amazing to me what beautiful music a few strings can make (as well as a talented musician). Thanks for sharing!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Aug 22 2013, 6:01pm

Post #14 of 45 (204 views)
Shortcut
It's also possible to find smaller guitars. [In reply to] Can't Post

Or it's possible to start with a ukulele, the way I did when I was a kit with little fingers.

Morok Cloudkeeper
Rohan

Aug 22 2013, 6:11pm

Post #15 of 45 (200 views)
Shortcut
Smaller than this? :) [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSedE5sU3uc

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Aug 22 2013, 7:23pm

Post #16 of 45 (192 views)
Shortcut
Piano [In reply to] Can't Post

My mother tried to teach me when I was a kid, but I did not learn very well.

However after attending my sons' lessons for while, I took a couple of years of lessons from their teacher myself, to where I can now play simple classical pieces. I should get back into it. Maybe once the kids are back into the school groove...

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 22 2013, 8:18pm

Post #17 of 45 (197 views)
Shortcut
I applaud you Aunt Dora [In reply to] Can't Post

And everyone else in this thread who plays an instrument! I simply have not got the talent...SmileCoolSmile

...and early memory of elementary school is my assigned instrument in music class dwindling in complexity until even the humble triangle got taken back to the music room. The (I would guess sadly aggrieved) music teacher sat down with me and mentioned that he had seen my paintings...so I spent the following school years drawing and painting backdrop murals for the school plays in Music class (and beyond. It ended up being quite a large commitment.)

(This post was edited by Brethil on Aug 22 2013, 8:19pm)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Aug 22 2013, 8:23pm

Post #18 of 45 (198 views)
Shortcut
Awww [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if that teacher convinced you that you have no musical talent, when that might not be true at all. But it's nice to hear that your artistic talent was recognized.

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 22 2013, 8:36pm

Post #19 of 45 (189 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Aunt Dora - but I fear its true! [In reply to] Can't Post

My brain just isn't wired that way ... my BFF if actually teaches piano and flute and has made protracted efforts over the years, but after 25 years just shakes her head. I do *love* listening to music, but I fear I am a bit like John Cleese's Pope with Michelangelo: I may not know Art but in know what I like! LaughLaughLaugh But I think that's why I give so much credit to those who can make such lovely sounds. It makes the world better!

Very amusingly, my BBF's one cat plays the piano if the keys are left open. Its actually very nice and of course a scream to watch.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Aug 22 2013, 8:42pm

Post #20 of 45 (189 views)
Shortcut
Interesting. [In reply to] Can't Post

My brother, who is a history professor, has a similar situation with trying to sing. He can actually hear tones OK: we once tried an experiment where I played a note on the piano, and he was able to match it on his flute without looking to see what note I was playing. But when he tried to match it with his voice, he couldn't come anywhere near. He took a singing course in college, and the teacher told him she couldn't help him, and helped him change his schedule. It's some kind of scrambled wiring in the brain, I suppose.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Aug 22 2013, 8:52pm

Post #21 of 45 (182 views)
Shortcut
Wow, that's amazing! [In reply to] Can't Post

Look at those little ones go! I was around ten when I took up the ukulele, and twelve when I transitioned to guitar. But that video blows my thesis out of the water. :-D

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Aug 22 2013, 10:57pm

Post #22 of 45 (185 views)
Shortcut
Catcerto [In reply to] Can't Post

Sort of like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeoT66v4EHg

(performance by Cat and Chamber Orchestra...)

(This post was edited by arithmancer on Aug 22 2013, 10:59pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 23 2013, 1:52am

Post #23 of 45 (186 views)
Shortcut
That's great - that's what it looks like when she plays! [In reply to] Can't Post

Her sister watches too, just like the cats in that film! Great find Arithmancer!

angelclaw
Bree

Aug 23 2013, 3:38am

Post #24 of 45 (184 views)
Shortcut
Rhythm guitar [In reply to] Can't Post

Is what I play. I'm currently in a reggae-rock band but prior to that I was mostly in metal bands, so that's my area of expertise. I actually met my husband when I joined his band almost 20 years ago - we both played guitar back then, but after a couple of years he transitioned to drums. From 1997-2007 we had a death metal band called Akallabęth; this in an excerpt of our title track, essentially a modern take on war against the gods:

http://vortextheory.tumblr.com/post/59068905542

I've also gotten into midi programming in the past few years, which I mostly do with a tiny 2-octave keyboard. I tap in the drums & synths on the keyboard, then edit it once it's in midi format. It's by no means serious, and mostly comes off sounding like variations on the original Doom soundtrack, but it's fun to play with whenever I get tired of guitar Tongue

Morok Cloudkeeper
Rohan

Aug 23 2013, 7:49am

Post #25 of 45 (184 views)
Shortcut
You don't need talent to play ANY instrument [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just a matter of practising and muscle memory.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.