Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Official Introduction & Welcome Thread
First page Previous page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 27 Next page Last page  View All

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 7 2013, 4:02pm

Post #376 of 666 (108167 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, Lothwen! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, you've posted correctly! And there are many other teens and Barli's people here, too (as you probably know already). Wink

Be sure to check out all the different Boards! And if you have any questions, feel free to post on Feedback, or send a PM to one of us Admins. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

ionamartin123

Jun 12 2013, 7:20pm

Post #377 of 666 (109438 views)
Shortcut
new newbie here [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a new newbie here :D

Well, I'm a big movie fan and watched almost all the movies, if it is fantasy or comedy, I don't really count how many times I watch those movies. Just love watching movies.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 12 2013, 8:25pm

Post #378 of 666 (110302 views)
Shortcut
Greetings! [In reply to] Can't Post

And welcome to TORn, ionamartin! As you can tell, things are quite busy over on the Hobbit board at the moment - but check out our other boards, too!

How many times have you seen the LotR movies, and The Hobbit? Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

lindamartin123

Jul 23 2013, 1:50pm

Post #379 of 666 (108155 views)
Shortcut
hi, Lin here [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, this is Linda Martin here and call me Lin :)

Nice to meet you all, seems to one big gang, eh

NottaSackville
Valinor

Jul 23 2013, 2:40pm

Post #380 of 666 (110216 views)
Shortcut
If you're going to join the gang [In reply to] Can't Post

You'll need to get the White Tree tatoo. Wink

Welcome, Lin!

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

(This post was edited by NottaSackville on Jul 23 2013, 2:40pm)

solikat
The Shire

Jul 28 2013, 3:33am

Post #381 of 666 (107635 views)
Shortcut
TORn lives. All is right with the world. [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings, all. I was a regular on TORn for a while circa 2001. Been away for ... dear lord! Around ten years! Has it really been that long?!??

Spent some time waiting tables, went back to school, got a desk job. Located in Colorado Springs the whole time, except for a three-year foray into North Dakota. Made some friends. Lost others. Fell madly in love with Johnny Depp, Futurama, Doctor Who, Firefly, and MUSE (only seven weeks until their next Denver gig! Woot!!!!)

Also finally quit smoking (seven years and counting) and took up World of Warcraft (allies die!!!) My guildies and I met up at the Denver Comicon a few weeks back. Got me wondering what good ol' TORn was up to. Looks like you guys have been busy. Happy to see you all again. Sad about missing San Diego Comicon. Party there next year?

-Kat

Altaira
Superuser

Aug 11 2013, 5:51pm

Post #382 of 666 (109583 views)
Shortcut
Welcome back! [In reply to] Can't Post

You're a sight for sore eyes, lady, and always welcome around here. It sounds like you've accomplished a lot since we last saw you. Big congrats on quitting smoking! Smile

There's definitely a lot to catch up on, so peruse what interests you, and there's usually a big TORn presence at SD Comic Con, so you'd be in very good company.

*hugs*

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Meneldor
Valinor

Aug 19 2013, 8:50pm

Post #383 of 666 (109765 views)
Shortcut
Good morning! [In reply to] Can't Post

By which I mean this is a good morning whether you wish it or not, that I feel good this morning, and that it is a morning to be good on!

I've been aware of this forum for years, and I'm not really sure why I never joined. JRRT appeared to me in the form of The Hobbit when I was a teen around 1980 and I've been his adoring acolyte ever since.

I'm a retired US Air Force flight engineer, and occasionally a medieval reenactor, as will be clear from this picture if I figure out how to post it...

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and his wonders in the deep.

(This post was edited by Meneldor on Aug 19 2013, 8:58pm)

Meneldor
Valinor

Aug 20 2013, 9:20pm

Post #384 of 666 (108859 views)
Shortcut
Me, posing as an effigy [In reply to] Can't Post

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and his wonders in the deep.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 20 2013, 9:57pm

Post #385 of 666 (108794 views)
Shortcut
Looks great! How heavy is that to wear? / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Meneldor
Valinor

Aug 20 2013, 11:20pm

Post #386 of 666 (108982 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

In the picture above, I'm wearing about 50 lb worth of gear. Add gauntlets and helm to make the suit legal for SCA combat, and it's close to 70 lb. This is what it looks like in action:

Are there any other re-enactors, martial artists, or fencers here?

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7456/9456855866_f23db42d67_n.jpg

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Aug 20 2013, 11:36pm

Post #387 of 666 (108084 views)
Shortcut
Hello [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think that this thread gets much use, so it might be best to start an off topic thread to get the most responses! Just a suggestion.

Welcome, to our little fandom. Make yourself at home!

BTW, I've always been interested in the SCA but RL has gotten in the way! Maybe after my life settles down a bit.

Post an SCA/Reenactor thread and I will chat for a bit!

(This post was edited by Rembrethil on Aug 20 2013, 11:38pm)

Kim
Valinor

Aug 21 2013, 3:45am

Post #388 of 666 (108713 views)
Shortcut
Hi from another newbie [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi all! Been lurking here since AUJ came out, and finally decided to join in the fun. Big fan of the movies, and can't wait for DOS!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 21 2013, 4:28am

Post #389 of 666 (107454 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to TORN! [In reply to] Can't Post

And good on you for delurking. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kim
Valinor

Aug 21 2013, 4:34am

Post #390 of 666 (109041 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never actually signed up for an online forum before, so looking forward to joining in the conversations.

Mat
The Shire

Sep 7 2013, 11:35pm

Post #391 of 666 (108984 views)
Shortcut
Hello! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cheers! My name is Mat. I was born in Los Angeles, CA, but I currently live in Michigan. I am the lead singer / guitarist of the heavy punk band, Pissing Contest, as well as the co-owner of SAY-10 Records & Skateboards. Even beyond all of that, I find the time to be a full-time film student. I worship LOTR and collect screen-used props. My prized possession is a 35mm film canister used in production.

PISSING CONTEST (Heavy Punk)
www.facebook.com/pissingcontest

(This post was edited by Mat on Sep 7 2013, 11:36pm)

TolkienOtaku
Rivendell

Sep 21 2013, 5:11am

Post #392 of 666 (106600 views)
Shortcut
Why can't I stay active here? [In reply to] Can't Post

So, I've been away for a while, and didn't really think much about TORn until Salt Lake City Comic Con, where I saw the booth and thought "Huh, I haven't been on that forum in forever."

I'll try to keep up with the happenings in this forum better, but I make no promises. Especially this November. NaNoWriMo will be won this year or else!

Even if all the world
Became your enemy
I will protect you so
You just be there smiling

RosieBaggins
Rivendell

Sep 24 2013, 5:30pm

Post #393 of 666 (108839 views)
Shortcut
Hello there! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello, my name is Anna. I became a Lord of the Ring fan about a year ago, after I watched the movies and subsequently purchased the book on kindle. Ever since then, I have been hooked on it! Heart

My progress so far on my walk to Rivendell
I have traveled 71 miles
I have passed Buckleberry Ferry.
It is 2 miles to the next landmark.
I have 387 miles until I reach Rivendell.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 24 2013, 7:12pm

Post #394 of 666 (109884 views)
Shortcut
Welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've already seen you about the boards, so it's good to see you've made yourself at home.Smile

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 24 2013, 7:13pm

Post #395 of 666 (108968 views)
Shortcut

Stay a while!

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Sometime hours and hours hence:
In The Green Dragon two ales could buy
And drank the one less filling I
And that has made all the difference.
- The Ale Less Filling, by Robert Frostymug

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 24 2013, 7:13pm

Post #396 of 666 (108135 views)
Shortcut

Hope you have fun here! Smile

Nimloth
Lorien

Sep 25 2013, 3:13am

Post #397 of 666 (108428 views)
Shortcut
Welcome Mat [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you enjoy your time here. It's very entertaining. Wink

Ninrandir

Sep 25 2013, 3:33am

Post #398 of 666 (107771 views)
Shortcut
Hello and good evening! [In reply to] Can't Post

The little bar to the left there says I'm Ninrandir, so we'll have to go with that (27 years old, Minnesota native, temporary Albany NY transplant). I have been a long-time lurker of TORn (think 2000?) for all my Tolkien needs and finally decided to join after seeing the TAS's call for papers. I finally have something to contribute!

Me (on the right) at the Texas Ren Fest: http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/299/hyvz.jpg

My history with Tolkien's legendarium started when I was young; my mother read me The Hobbit. I read the Lord of the Rings on my own and then decided, "You know what? I'm just going to stick my head into The Silmarillion and see what I can figure out." I ended up basing most of my high school and undergraduate work on Tolkien. I spent a lot of time writing short stories and fanfiction based on LotR, even roleplayed on forums and Yahoo! Groups quite a bit back in the day, and I dare say that these experiences with the wider Tolkienite community set the foundation for the eventual career path I follow today.

While my studies have since become more of a hobby than an educational pursuit, I still enjoy both the academic and entertainment sides of everything Tolkien. I love writing, co-writing (a long time friend and I are working on a piece right now), editing, I love talking about anything writing. I also draw and am practicing digital art.

I've grown to also enjoy Lovecraft, Poe, and other suspense/weird horror media. I play way too many video games and watch way too much TV. Grew up as a Star Trek, Star Wars, and Stargate SG-1 fan. Trying to reconcile that insanity took up pretty much the first eighteen years of my life (lucky me, I didn't have television channels then! But Grandma did, and boy did she get loaded up with blank VHS tapes).

Now, I am a graduate student working towards my MFA in Creative Writing. I've had poetry and short stories published in a couple small journals, but haven't "hit the big one" yet. I'm still very much in a lurker mentality, so I don't know how truly active I'll be around here right off the bat, but from what I've seen over the years, TORn is an awesome community with intelligent and fun people. I hope to find a comfortable corner and do you all justice.

Through a long, convoluted linguistic obstacle course that took all four years of high school, I settled on the name "Ninrandir," which literally translates to "wet (or soaked) wanderer" and roughly to "wanderer in the rain."

Oh, and I write far too much (see above).

Lurker, broken silence. Feels good to breathe again.

(This post was edited by Ninrandir on Sep 25 2013, 3:41am)

Mikah
Lorien

Sep 25 2013, 10:48pm

Post #399 of 666 (108904 views)
Shortcut
Hello peeps! [In reply to] Can't Post

Good Afternoon. I thought I would drop by to say hello and introduce myself. I must confess that I have been a bit of a lurker on this site for a while now. I am a huge Tolkien fan, like all of you. Absolute favorite book is the Silmarillion and anything to do with the Silmarillion. You know, Morgoth's Ring, The War of the Jewels...etc. I am looking very forward to your reading of Unfinished Tales in the Reading Room and hope to join in. Any excuse to read more Tokien and you can count me in!

That being said, I do love the Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings as well. Looking very forward to the Desolation of Smaug. Especially Lee Pace's portrayal of King Thandruil.

Erewen
The Shire

Sep 26 2013, 7:44pm

Post #400 of 666 (107540 views)
Shortcut
Probably should have done this a while ago... [In reply to] Can't Post

I am a 14 year old girl from England who prefers books to people and according to my family acts a lot older. I first became obsessed with Tolkien just under a year ago when my older brother by six years asked me if I wanted to see the Hobbit with him. A week or two later I had whizzed through the Hobbit and LOTR books, had had a movie marathon of the EE of all three films and have never regretted it for one second.

I discovered this site when tying to find a link to the article on Heir's of Durin website 'In Defense of Fili, Kili and Thorin Oakenshield – an Appreciation Beyond Hot Dwarves.' I didn't find the message boards for a while, lurked for a bit and then joined (eventually).

My username literally translates as 'lonely maiden' a reference to my anti-social tendencies.

First page Previous page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 27 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.