Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Beorn one of the big things of TABA?

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Aug 18 2013, 7:42pm

Post #1 of 8 (872 views)
Beorn one of the big things of TABA? Can't Post

Since all promotional images seem to go over Legolas, Tauriel and Bard, besides Bilbo and the dwarves

Do yo think that Beorn and so Dain, but specially Beorn, one of the big things of TABA?

Perhaps in DOS we wont see the bear in action, as happened with Smaug in AUJ, only glimpses of him.

And the final trasnformation will be in BOFA?

Its one of the few reasons that I find for not having him in the promo as both LOTR and Hobbit posters and promo have been a little bit too much spoilery sometimes. (I would liked not having withe Gandalf on any TTT poster and being surprised by his comeback special)

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

Aug 18 2013, 8:01pm

Post #2 of 8 (513 views)
Been over 11 years and I still can't get over that Gandalf spoiler [In reply to] Can't Post

I hadn't read the books so I was gobsmacked and confused when I saw the trailer for TTT. It annoys me a little that they showed Gollum so much in trailers and posters for AUJ, that could've been a cool surprise for some. And now Smaug in the DoS trailer. I wish I had the will power to avoid promotional material Frown

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Aug 18 2013, 8:02pm)

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Aug 18 2013, 8:02pm

Post #3 of 8 (415 views)
I hadnīt read the book aswell [In reply to] Can't Post

And also I dont have the power to skip all promo material, not since this web site came across my pathTongue

Aug 18 2013, 9:40pm

Post #4 of 8 (334 views)
Promotional material and spoilers [In reply to] Can't Post

This makes me glad I didn't follow the promo material when TTT came out. I hadn't read the books yet so everything was a surprise to me. It was a great experience! (Of course, after reading the books the movies seemed a bit flawed because of some of the changes, but anyway. Laugh)

Going back to Beorn, maybe they are trying to keep the casual audience in mind and don't want to introduce too many unfamiliar characters yet? That would also explain why we haven't heard much about Dain, Bolg, Master of Laketown, arguably even Bard. We might have seen Beorn's bear form in the trailer, but maybe they'll save the actual transformation for later? Depending on how they choose to have things play out, it might be a surprise for some people.

Dwalin Balin Kili Fili Dori Nori Ori Oin Gloin Bifur Bofur Bombur Thorin

Orcs are mammals!

"Don't laugh at the Dwarves because they will mess you up." — Dean O'Gorman (Fili)

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

Aug 18 2013, 10:09pm

Post #5 of 8 (311 views)
Marketing strategy [In reply to] Can't Post

There is a simple fact that the mass audience for this film aren't the ones reading and writing on this forum, they are the ones who are more likely to see trailers, books on bookshelf for their children etc.

Thats why elves are being heavily promoted, something that most people enjoyed from LOTR. The marketing for AUJ was similar, with familar stuff shown with prominence. Thats not to say nothing new was introduced, you do have to give a reason for people to want to watch the film. Galadriel, Gollum was heavily promoted in film one, despite having very little in the film, they were the main points to promote.

The two things in DOS that seem to be forefront are that the elves are returning and actually meeting the dragon in this film, to give it a sense of fulfilment in this film. Theres been a little on Gandalfs side-quest + a little bit into other characters like Bard and Azog/Orcs, but not much on Bilbo or Thorin.

I totally expect the 2nd trailer to continue this, and like TTT where the first trailer only revealed Gandalf, the 2nd trailer had him prominent in the trailer. Its definetly a chance that Smaug will speak in the 2nd trailer, though perhaps not because unlike Gandalf he hasn't been introduced.

There is a difference between the marketing department of Warner Bros, and what the creative team of the film would do. I'd suspect there is some insistence that things like Beorn are not shown, remember that Radagast wasn't debuted until 2nd trailer of AUJ, so possibly there.

But from a marketing point of view, is a prominent Beorn going to attract people to the film. People who haven't read the books are going to have no idea who he is. People who have read the books, are likely already going to go to the film anyway, and don't need just Beorn to aid them.

The Shire

Aug 19 2013, 9:48am

Post #6 of 8 (210 views)
Beorn will be here. [In reply to] Can't Post

Beorn will be the first new character in DOS, according to the events of the book and where the company is, and he will play a big part in DOS. As for Dain, probably won't see him till TABA.

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as I should like, as you deserve less than half that I have to like about less than half of you half as well as I should like to like you have as well as you deserve to see me like less than half of you half as well you deserve less than half of my likings."

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Aug 19 2013, 10:12am

Post #7 of 8 (179 views)
I dont know why but I think he will appear, but he wont have a big part [In reply to] Can't Post

I think he will be one of the higliths of the BOFA and so he will be on the spotlight of TABA promo

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Aug 19 2013, 10:14am

Post #8 of 8 (191 views)
My congratilations [In reply to] Can't Post

For having being surprised by Gandalf come back in TTTSmile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.