The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Laketown in DoS and canon changes *SPOILERS*

The Mitch King
Rohan

Aug 18 2013, 6:03pm

Post #1 of 9 (1321 views)
Shortcut
Laketown in DoS and canon changes *SPOILERS* Can't Post

In that recent German magazine we learned that there would be some type of orc invasion of Laketown. This is a pretty huge change IMO but I haven't really noticed anyone talking about it. Sooooooo how does everyone feel about? What kind of invasion will it probably be? A tactical mission with a couple sneaky orcs or a full on attack(seems unlikely)? I'm personally intrigued but I am realizing with the whole Smaug/dwarf fight, DG battle and this Laketown episode the ending sequences of DoS could have an incredibly unfamiliar feel compared to the book. While changes/new scenes can be good and refreshing they should still have a feel of the book IMO.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Aug 18 2013, 6:06pm

Post #2 of 9 (621 views)
Shortcut
Bard's backstory? [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps this is how we meet him?

Or the reason that the men of LT want a share of the treasure? (You brought the orcs!!!?

Shagrat
Gondor

Aug 18 2013, 6:23pm

Post #3 of 9 (596 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't trust that German magazine [In reply to] Can't Post

It's clear they had no exclusive information, and were going off old rumours. We DO know that a group of Azog's band will pursue the company to Laketown, just as the Elves will also. I suspect the Elves will probably covertly take them out, as we know Legolas does. If there was a huge Orc invasion and a big battle ensued, it would seriously undermine the BoFA.

morro91
Bree

Aug 18 2013, 6:31pm

Post #4 of 9 (541 views)
Shortcut
Re Laketown [In reply to] Can't Post

Theres no certainty that there will be an orc invasion of Laketown, at least in DOS. In terms of expansion, I extremely doubt there will be orcs at Lake-town BEFORE the dwarves go up to the mountain. It seems there will be some political obstacles faced by the dwarves against the master of Laketown, seemingly they have to sneak out of Laketown in order to get to the mountain. Perhaps orcs have discovered them, but more likely the Master is trying to cosy up to the elves who may want to take back their prisoners

Theres perhaps a chance, that orcs invade after and are present when Smaug attacks Laketown.

Perhaps where this whole thing comes from is that perhaps in BOFA, there is a battle at Lake town as well where there are orcs invading the desolated Lake town.

All in all, I doubt there will be an orc invasion BEFORE the dwarves leave Lake-town for the mountain.

There will be alot of unfamiliar things in this film compared with the book, whether liked or not.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Aug 18 2013, 6:42pm

Post #5 of 9 (545 views)
Shortcut
Elves want the company back, Bard agrees with the elves for avoiding dwarves to awake Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

Thats why the guards of the master of laketown chase him. Elves will be on Laketown, no doubt. The master helps the dwarves(though he is not a good guy) because he wants the treasure back or something. Bard and the elves become friends (remember that photo of Legolas and Bard?)

For me is enough conflict to put the orcs as well in it. But who knows.

What I feel is that maybe Tauriel or Legolas will track the dwarves thowards the mountain, but I dont see the point, just a feeling.

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

morro91
Bree

Aug 18 2013, 6:56pm

Post #6 of 9 (506 views)
Shortcut
Dwarves/Bard vs. Master/Elves. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it'll be Dwarves/Bard vs. Master/Elves.

Even though Bard says 'If you wake that beast, you'll destroy us all', PJ has said there is a bit of 'Robin Hood' about Bard. He might disagree with the dwarves quest, but he won't impede them.

The photo of Legolas and Bard is in film #3, presumably at the camp the Elves and Lake town have.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Aug 18 2013, 6:59pm

Post #7 of 9 (538 views)
Shortcut
Iīve also heard that Bard would be somekind of mysterious character that [In reply to] Can't Post

at the beginning dwarves wouldnt know if he is a good or a bad guy. I think he will team up with the elves. But later on(spoiler) as Thorinīs temper will go bad, we will see clearly that he was right

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

(This post was edited by isaac on Aug 18 2013, 7:00pm)

Carne
Tol Eressea

Aug 18 2013, 7:39pm

Post #8 of 9 (493 views)
Shortcut
There will be at least one orc in Laketown [In reply to] Can't Post

The TDoS edition of Empire Magazine mentions Legolas chasing an orc through Laketown.

kbdiggity
Rivendell

Aug 19 2013, 12:03am

Post #9 of 9 (367 views)
Shortcut
..... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
In that recent German magazine we learned that there would be some type of orc invasion of Laketown. This is a pretty huge change IMO but I haven't really noticed anyone talking about it. Sooooooo how does everyone feel about? What kind of invasion will it probably be? A tactical mission with a couple sneaky orcs or a full on attack(seems unlikely)? I'm personally intrigued but I am realizing with the whole Smaug/dwarf fight, DG battle and this Laketown episode the ending sequences of DoS could have an incredibly unfamiliar feel compared to the book. While changes/new scenes can be good and refreshing they should still have a feel of the book IMO.

I don't think the German magazine has a clue what it is talking about.

We know that as the Dwarves escape the Elven Kings halls in their barrels, there will be an encounter with orcs along the river to Long Lake. We know the Elves and Men use that river/lake for commerce. So all of this could be what the German magazine misinterpretted as an orc invasion of Laketown. It may be nothing more than the battle along the river spills into the lake or the outskirts of the town.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.