Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Can someone give me all we have on dain in the hobbit?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

flameofudun
Lorien

Aug 18 2013, 12:34am

Post #1 of 44 (1140 views)
Shortcut
Can someone give me all we have on dain in the hobbit? Can't Post

I am very antsy upon reading some other threads about him. obviously he will be in the hobbit probably TABA but i would love to know any confirmed sightings in a vlog ir something.I have read all his interviews so I know that

-he rides a giant boar into battle
- he is fierce and a great warrior
- he dislikes elves and would kill them if he had to
-he will be present at BOFA
- and he will have skull tattoos, and a sort of warrior Mohawk. Anything else?

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

(This post was edited by flameofudun on Aug 18 2013, 12:34am)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 18 2013, 12:49am

Post #2 of 44 (642 views)
Shortcut
Erm... he'll be played by Billy Connolly and he'll have iron feet. [In reply to] Can't Post

I know you knew that already, but you didn't list it Tongue

There's a Warhammer figure that resembles the description we've got of him. Dunno if you've seen that or if someone can find it?

deskp
Lorien

Aug 18 2013, 2:09am

Post #3 of 44 (588 views)
Shortcut
maybe not [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
- and he will have skull tattoos, and a sort of warrior Mohawk.

I think this is Dwalin instead. I think Dain was suposed to kill azog at MORIA when azog looked like BOLG, but with edititng and stuff it's now Dwalin with mowhawk and tattoos.

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Aug 18 2013, 4:39am

Post #4 of 44 (649 views)
Shortcut
Dain vlog sighting [In reply to] Can't Post

In Vlog #8 there is a brief glimpse of Billy Connolly at 7:26-7:27. It's just at the second unit wrap-up party, so the hair/facial hair may or may not be his Dain "look" (he doesn't look much different his usual self). For reference, in that same shot Martin Freeman and Orlando Bloom have their wigs on, but Luke Evans does not.

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Aug 18 2013, 5:04am

Post #5 of 44 (567 views)
Shortcut
Nice catch. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's Billy as Billy.Wink

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 18 2013, 8:42am

Post #6 of 44 (550 views)
Shortcut
Here's a screencap: [In reply to] Can't Post

For those interested!

I'd never spotted him before.Smile

Hamfast Gamgee
Gondor

Aug 18 2013, 12:48pm

Post #7 of 44 (440 views)
Shortcut
I am still not sure about this casting! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thin Hobbits I can just about stomach, but a Dwarf over 6ft tall?

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 18 2013, 12:57pm

Post #8 of 44 (397 views)
Shortcut
Who said he was 6ft tall? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Hamfast Gamgee
Gondor

Aug 18 2013, 1:01pm

Post #9 of 44 (418 views)
Shortcut
The actor playing him is! [In reply to] Can't Post

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Aug 18 2013, 2:20pm

Post #10 of 44 (414 views)
Shortcut
Pretty certain... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that both Richard Armitage and Graham MacTavish are over 6" tall. Personally, I'd have preferred that all the dwarves were played by actors over 6", because the dwarves should all be quite a bit taller than Bilbo. I noticed that a few of the dwarves in the film, namely Balin, Bombur, and Ori, were about the same height as Bilbo, when they should have been taller. Not that it's a huge deal (and Ken Stott's Balin is one of my favorite roles in AUJ).

(This post was edited by Salmacis81 on Aug 18 2013, 2:21pm)

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Aug 18 2013, 2:26pm

Post #11 of 44 (388 views)
Shortcut
Very little on Dain thus far... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but according to what someone else recently told me, Billy Connolly referred to the role as a "cameo". Not sure why they'd cast a fairly well-known actor in a cameo role, so here's hoping that Connolly was just being sarcastic or joking, and that Dain will play a fairly important role in the Bo5A.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 18 2013, 4:20pm

Post #12 of 44 (377 views)
Shortcut
I think he'll be a bit King of the Dead-ish [In reply to] Can't Post

He'll have a bit of an introduction scene, talking to Thorin, but mostly he just serves as the head of an army and it's the army that plays the real role

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Aug 18 2013, 5:24pm

Post #13 of 44 (354 views)
Shortcut
His most important personal role... (Book SPOILERS) [In reply to] Can't Post

...is becoming the King Under the Mountain. He needs to have enough credibility and/or likability to make his replacement of the other three royals work for the movie. I think the main reason for casting Connolly is his familiarity and personality and it may have allowed PJ to save Dain mostly until the BoFA in a similar fashion to the book.

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Aug 18 2013, 5:41pm

Post #14 of 44 (354 views)
Shortcut
Here's a possible in-character sighting [In reply to] Can't Post

A person with white hair and a goatee is on the left of the shot that PJ and the dwarves are looking at in this picture. Back when it was first posted, some speculated that it might in fact be Dain.

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Aug 18 2013, 6:23pm

Post #15 of 44 (339 views)
Shortcut
Perspective [In reply to] Can't Post

See, we know about Dain's exploits because we 've read the ROTK appendices. But Dian is a very minor character in TH. Not much dialog would be needed to establish that Dain is the next in line after Fili/Kili. In the grand scheme of things it would be nice to give him a bigger role but he would be another dwarf we would have to get to know and care about. Will the writers care to make that effort?

What I hope to see is all those Iron Hills dwarves marching to battle with their long beards tucked in their belts.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Aug 18 2013, 8:34pm

Post #16 of 44 (309 views)
Shortcut
We get plenty of info about him [In reply to] Can't Post

between the Hobbit and the appendices of ROTK. ALL of which have either been altered or completely ignored by Jackson at this point.Unsure So very little of film Dain is known other than being played by Billy Connolly, and rumors of him having a mohawk, and riding a giant boar into battle are about the only things "known" at this point.Wink Plus as others have stated Billy Connolly himself saying it is basically a cameo. Which I find sad because his role in the appendices was amazing, his dialogue to Thrain was great, and in the Hobbit he will be the dwarf that nobody knows who is supposed to become King under the Mountain. What Jackson has done so far to the character is an embarrassment and a slap in the face to what could have been a great character people would be glad to see become king IMO... Now he's just the guy who wouldn't help Thorin and swoops in at the last minute to help out because of the treasure. Such a wasteUnsure Personally I would rather have more Dain and less Legolas Smile

(This post was edited by sinister71 on Aug 18 2013, 8:34pm)

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Aug 18 2013, 8:58pm

Post #17 of 44 (286 views)
Shortcut
Perspective continued... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sure, Dain's not exactly a main character in the story, and only really has an active role at the end (and his becoming King under the Mountain is glossed over very quickly, sort of like Gandalf's exploits after Mirkwood).

At the same time, everything else in this trilogy is being blown up to epic proportions. The stone giants went from a once-mentioned oddity that was seen from a far distance, to a 5-minute action sequence involving living mountains that nearly killed our heroes. Jackson and Co. have even gone and made major characters out of both Azog (who was long dead by this time, killed by Dain) and Radagast (who was briefly mentioned but had no active role). So if Azog and Radagast (and Legolas, and Tauriel) get major roles when they weren't even part of the story, the guy who becomes the freaking King under the Mountain should certainly get more than a mere cameo.

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Aug 18 2013, 9:04pm

Post #18 of 44 (267 views)
Shortcut
Exactly... [In reply to] Can't Post

The filmmakers have time to add in all of this other stuff that wasn't even in the story OR the appendices, so it'd be a damn shame if they turned Dain from the greatest dwarf warrior of the 3rd Age, into an afterthought.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Aug 18 2013, 9:05pm

Post #19 of 44 (268 views)
Shortcut
Here Here !!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I completely agree Wink

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Aug 18 2013, 9:09pm

Post #20 of 44 (307 views)
Shortcut
In case anyone hasn't seen it... [In reply to] Can't Post

here's the original Vulture interview in full and the EMPIRE roundup...

There's also an interesting quote from this interview on the Scottish Actors BlogSpot:

You play a dwarf in the new Peter Jackson movie, The Hobbit.
Did you approach this differently than you would playing a man?

Well, you have to speak Dwarvish. So you can’t help but approach it differently.

So you’ve picked up a new language?
No, I’ve already forgotten my line. Well, I had about four lines, but they’re all along the lines of “Come on, lads, let’s show them what for!” I have the best line in the movie, but I’m not allowed to tell you. James Nesbitt [the Irish actor who plays fellow dwarf Bofur] was seething with envy.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

malickfan
Gondor

Aug 18 2013, 9:11pm

Post #21 of 44 (265 views)
Shortcut
Out of All the changes in the four films thus far, the apparent abscence of Dain's backstory has annoyed me the most [In reply to] Can't Post

By far one of my fave tertiary characters in the books (Along with Tom Bombadil and Cirdan-not having much luck so far am I?), and with one of the more epic backstories, I was pretty annoyed to say the least to find out he's be relugated to last minute cameo nicking the thrown with no prior explanation.

Billy Connolly is one of my fave actors, and regardless of his views on Tolkien I'm looking forward to seeing him kick arse...and please,please let him be the one to kill Azog (with or without Thorin's help).

2014 can't come fast enough.

I wouldn't put it past PJ to take Ironfoot literally (perhaps he has them hacked of by Bolg?) and I'm banking on a blood red suit of Armour to accompany his axe.

The Talking Purse is Awesome, deal with it.

But he isn't quite as aweome as Cirdan.

malickfan
Gondor

Aug 18 2013, 9:14pm

Post #22 of 44 (266 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for posting that... [In reply to] Can't Post

MadMadMadMad.

Me.very.annoyed.

Thank.god.they.can't.screw.up.silmarillion.

Four Lines? Was that before or after they shot the BOFA? Connoly is credited for DOS and TABA on IMDB, so at a guess I'd say he has 15-30 minutes screentime total.

Ironically Billy Connoly was more or less who I pictured as Thorin when reading the book for the first time...

The Talking Purse is Awesome, deal with it.

But he isn't quite as aweome as Cirdan.

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Aug 18 2013, 9:16pm

Post #23 of 44 (266 views)
Shortcut
Geez, four lines? [In reply to] Can't Post

Why'd they go and hire a famous comedian for the role and then fly him halfway across the planet if they're just going to give him four lines? For four measly lines, they could have just gotten some little-known New Zealand theater actor like they got for most of the other dwarves...

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Aug 18 2013, 9:16pm

Post #24 of 44 (257 views)
Shortcut
He's not only seemingly being relegated... [In reply to] Can't Post

but also been stripped of his good guy reputation so far... Mad

Giving Thorin the glory at Azanulbizar I can kind of understand to some extent, but then they go and paint him in a bad light by saying he refused to come and help the Quest of Erebor. I dearly hope he is given something in TABA to make up for this, and show the casual viewer why he is truly worthy of becoming King under the Mountain - there have already been fans on here saying they would hate it if Dain shows up just for the spoils!!

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Aug 18 2013, 9:18pm

Post #25 of 44 (269 views)
Shortcut
I feel he meant four lines in Kuzdul [In reply to] Can't Post

And the rest will be in english

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.