Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
New Videogame in the making?

LordGawain
Rivendell

Aug 16 2013, 12:38pm

Post #1 of 11 (519 views)
Shortcut
New Videogame in the making? Can't Post

Haven't seen this on here yet. From Kotaku:

"On his CV, a Seattle-based artist says the worked on storyboards for a AAA Lord of the Rings title at Monolith/WB Seattle last December and January following the release of Monolith's download-only LOTR MOBA Guardians of Middle-Earth. Given Monolith's recent emphasis on licensed games such as Guardians and Gotham City Impostors, Monolith handling another licensed title is hardly a surprise.
What might be a bit of surprise, however, is Monolith seemingly venturing back into AAA territory following layoffs and the studio's recent duo of smaller download-only titles. In early May, job postings revealed that the Seattle area studio is working on a cross-generation, quest-based open-world AAA action-adventure game.
Tolkien rights holders The Saul Zaentz Company recently registered a number of game-related trademarks and domains for "Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor," and those could very well fit Monolith's project. Monolith's title is likely still quite a bit away, but The Saul Zaentz Company registered trademarks for War in the North the last AAA LOTR title two years in advance of the game's release."
Monolith's Gotham City imposters has been quite popular, and, though I haven't played it, Guardians of Middle Earth seems to have gotten a decent reaction, since it is now being brought to PC with full steam integration. And an openworld AAA Lord of the RIngs game seems quite promising.

Personally I want nothing more than a good LotR game. I stil often play BfME and Return of the King is my standard go-to choice when playing co-op. And I've been playing those for ten years now, and they age very well. But the recent titles all seemed rather flawed. Hopefully this will bring Middle Earth back to life in a truly next-gen way.

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 16 2013, 12:44pm

Post #2 of 11 (380 views)
Shortcut
We need another good game [In reply to] Can't Post

War in the North was awesome! The ROTK game was as well and I even still play it on my 360 to this day but we need something similar to this for the next gen consoles. Would be nice if after The Hobbit films are done we could get a series of games covering both trilogies. I will also say the Lego LOTR game was a really really good game.

Olessan
Bree

Aug 17 2013, 2:25am

Post #3 of 11 (505 views)
Shortcut
Shadow of Mordor could be [In reply to] Can't Post

An expansion for The Lord of the Rings Online. Turbine registered it, and that's who is responsible for LotRO. LotRO also is, I reckon, the best game set in Middle-Earth available anywhere. :D
Most of the registrations concerning Shadow of Mordor look like they could be explained with an MMO expansion -- however, there is currently a new expansion called Helm's Deep, which covers the second half of Rohan, on the way by the end of the year. Shadow of Mordor could point to Gondor, I don't know. It's a bit too early for Gondor.
Anothing thing is, the title is Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, and not The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadow of Mordor. So it could probably be another MOBA game like Guardians, even.

In any case, if it's a new game, I'm hoping it'll be a good one. A lot of them (most) tend to be a bit... questionable. Laugh

LordotRings93
Rohan

Aug 17 2013, 1:08pm

Post #4 of 11 (425 views)
Shortcut
Really want a new LOTR game [In reply to] Can't Post

War In The North was amazing, and sucks that the studio was disbanded or bankrupt or something like that, and now they can't support it with new DLC. Guardians is fun, have it on PS3 but preordered on PC since it's my "preferred" system, but we need a really good LOTR game, like Conquest, only better. Nice big multiplayer battles and what have you. Or maybe a nice open-world RPG like The White Council was going to be. I think the best LOTR games currently are WitN and Lego LOTR (the RotK PS2 game's up there, too).

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

flameofudun
Lorien

Aug 18 2013, 8:07pm

Post #5 of 11 (334 views)
Shortcut
Actually [In reply to] Can't Post

Monolith registered the trademark for Middle-Earth:Shadow of Mordor. They do a combination of MOBAs like guardians of middle earth, and RPGs and other action games like Alien vs predator 2. They have also moved back into non-MOBA games for the time being. Also in the job description it says you must have experience with open world action adventure Games in which story and level design come first. The links and sources are all there on the gamespot article. This definitely rules out both a MOBA and MMO, so definitely no lotro expansion either. But anyways I noticed this too and am very much looking forward to it also. Can't wait.

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

canadianLOTR
The Shire

Aug 28 2013, 3:21am

Post #6 of 11 (276 views)
Shortcut
I want one! [In reply to] Can't Post

The only game I've got is LEGO Lord of the Rings, which I love, but it's the only one I have. A new LOTR video game would be awesome and I really don't care what it is. I know there are other LOTR video games that already exist but I'm just saying. Once I get those, a new one would be awesome :)

burgahobbit
Rohan

Sep 10 2013, 9:07pm

Post #7 of 11 (259 views)
Shortcut
Yeah I would like a Hobbit trilogy game [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing will replace the 2004 sierra Hobbit game for me but I would like to have a movie tie-in game as well. Smile

"I've found it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk, that keeps the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because Im afraid, and he gives me courage. - Gandalf the Grey.

"Do not be afraid Mithrandir, if ever you should need my help, I will come." - Lady Galadriel.

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 10 2013, 11:17pm

Post #8 of 11 (251 views)
Shortcut
Would be sweet [In reply to] Can't Post

To have a trilogy game. Never played the 2004 game though.

LordotRings93
Rohan

Sep 11 2013, 2:28am

Post #9 of 11 (248 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I never played the 2004 game either (although I always wanted to rent it from Blockbuster back in the day but never got around to it). I remember reading WB planned a tie-in game, but that never saw the light of day, unless Guardians Of Middle-earth filled in that role. Although the LOTR game I want is something ala the canceled White Council game. It sounded amazing, being open-world and getting to play as all four races (which is essential for me, since I love to play as a Hobbit). War In The North was great, but it suffered from terrible support from the studio, although they did get shut down I hear, which is a shame since WitN could've used some sweet DLC/weapons. Or make a new Conquest, but BETTER.... WB has such a huge pallet, yet they're not doing anything with the license...

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 11 2013, 3:04am

Post #10 of 11 (295 views)
Shortcut
Conquest [In reply to] Can't Post

A new LOTR Trilogy, Hobbit Trilogy, or just all encompassing Middle-earth Series capturing both would be cool done like Conquest. I'd really just like to see both trilogies done like ROTK was and I'd be a very happy gamer.

gliido
Bree

Oct 9 2013, 10:51pm

Post #11 of 11 (247 views)
Shortcut
LEGO: The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

At the very least, I'd expect at least one LEGO game to come out of this Hobbit Trilogy.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.