Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
DoS Tie-In Books (Details & Covers)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

narflet
Bree

Aug 16 2013, 12:44pm

Post #1 of 55 (10694 views)
Shortcut
DoS Tie-In Books (Details & Covers) Can't Post

Similar offering to last years output. I've included the ISBN for both the UK and US editions and everything should be available to order now. I've had mine on order for a while, but I've just been waiting to post until the covers were available. US books all have a publication date of 5th Nov, except the Chronicles which is 13th Dec. UK books are due on 7th Nov, except the Annual is listed for 29th Aug and Chronicles is also 13th Dec. NZ (and AU?) books should use the same ISBN as the UK books. Click on any of the images to get to the high res version.

Official Movie Guide, by Brian Sibley. (If you look at the cover at full size, Bilbo appears to have no face.)
US: 9780547898704, UK: 9780007464470
Plus, HarperCollins UK is listing a hardback collectors edition (no idea if there's anything different, other than it being hardcover): 9780007464470

Visual Companion, by Jude Fisher
US: 9780547898742, UK: 9780007467969

Chronicles III: Art & Design, from Weta
US: 9780062265692, UK: 9780007487271

Annual 2014/Activity Book/Almanac
US: 9780547898674, UK: 9780547898674

Movie Story Book
US: 9780547901985, UK: 9780007531110

Sticker Book
US: 9780544234680, UK: 9780007531127

Ultimate Sticker Book (can find no US listing for this at the moment)
UK: 9780007528752

(This post was edited by narflet on Aug 16 2013, 12:45pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 16 2013, 12:46pm

Post #2 of 55 (1722 views)
Shortcut
Nice find! [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like I will be adding several more books to my collection. Cool

Shagrat
Gondor

Aug 16 2013, 1:05pm

Post #3 of 55 (1970 views)
Shortcut
Nice to see Thranduil featured prominently on these... [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh wait. Crazy

Beorn I can understand, but no Thranduil? And plenty of Legolas and Tauriel? Alright it's only marketing material yet it's still slightly disconcerting I must say.

Lysanor
The Shire

Aug 16 2013, 1:15pm

Post #4 of 55 (1874 views)
Shortcut
Very disconcerting... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thranduil is the most important elf character in the book yet in most of the marketing so far he is being ignored or pushed to the side in favor of these two. While I have never minded the addition of Legolas and Tauriel it certainly seems that they are going to overshadow Thranduil Mad

(This post was edited by Lysanor on Aug 16 2013, 1:16pm)

DjU
Lorien

Aug 16 2013, 1:23pm

Post #5 of 55 (1754 views)
Shortcut
the trailer [In reply to] Can't Post

The only trailer we've had for DoS heavily featured him and more or less narrated by him. I don't think he's going to be overshadowed.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 16 2013, 1:35pm

Post #6 of 55 (1615 views)
Shortcut
Jackpot!! These are fantastic! Made my day :) No more news for a week // [In reply to] Can't Post

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Aug 16 2013, 1:44pm

Post #7 of 55 (1595 views)
Shortcut
when was the first chronicles book released? [In reply to] Can't Post

After or before the movie?

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Aug 16 2013, 1:45pm

Post #8 of 55 (1676 views)
Shortcut
That was my immediate reaction, too... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thranduil's my favourite character and it's frankly unbelievable he hasn't made on to any of these covers...Crazy

Still, great work narflet...thanks for gathering all this info for us. May I just add that a quick search on The Book Depository (where I bought my AUJ Movie Guide last year and it arrived well before publication date) shows that they are offering around 25% off!

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Aug 16 2013, 1:50pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 16 2013, 1:48pm

Post #9 of 55 (1582 views)
Shortcut
Same day, I think... [In reply to] Can't Post

...in the UK, anyway

narflet
Bree

Aug 16 2013, 1:49pm

Post #10 of 55 (1588 views)
Shortcut
Dec 14th 2012 [In reply to] Can't Post

The 2nd was 4th April this year, and based on that pattern and this listing, it looks like we can expect Chronicles IV in April 2014.

(This post was edited by narflet on Aug 16 2013, 1:50pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 16 2013, 1:49pm

Post #11 of 55 (1685 views)
Shortcut
"Never judge a film by its (tie-in) book cover." [In reply to] Can't Post

Or something like that.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Aug 16 2013, 1:51pm

Post #12 of 55 (1636 views)
Shortcut
BTW I think the posters and promo images from the movie are improving [In reply to] Can't Post

From those weird creppy Bilbo posters from AUJ

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

narflet
Bree

Aug 16 2013, 1:53pm

Post #13 of 55 (1601 views)
Shortcut
That's where I've ordered mine from! [In reply to] Can't Post

Remembering that people got theirs early last year, that's where I've ordered from this year in the hopes that the same thing happens! I ordered from amazon last year and they all arrived after the publication date.

Also, you're welcome. I've added them all to GoodReads, so it wasn't any trouble to post them here too. :)

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 16 2013, 1:56pm

Post #14 of 55 (1603 views)
Shortcut
Just ordered [In reply to] Can't Post

All of these via my amazon app for my IPhone $130 worth of stuff. The Activity Book (or Annual in the UK) is showing as a paper back. I thought this was odd as the first book both US or UK versions was hardcover. I will have to get the UK version to make sure I get a HC version then.

narflet
Bree

Aug 16 2013, 2:03pm

Post #15 of 55 (1562 views)
Shortcut
I, too, hate it when stuff doesn't match! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 16 2013, 2:06pm

Post #16 of 55 (1564 views)
Shortcut
Glad someone understands that crazy part of how I think lol [In reply to] Can't Post

I will say I did actually get the UK Version last year because it was made available quite a bit before the US version. So that's another reason to get the UK version.

narflet
Bree

Aug 16 2013, 2:13pm

Post #17 of 55 (1541 views)
Shortcut
Looks like that's the case this year too! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 16 2013, 2:54pm

Post #18 of 55 (1509 views)
Shortcut
Nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like I'm getting it for sure.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Aug 16 2013, 3:42pm

Post #19 of 55 (1500 views)
Shortcut
Looks as though I'll only be ordering the Brian Sibley book [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel really miffed that neither Thranduil nor Beorn are on the covers, yet the two made-up characters are and prominently. Mad

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Aug 16 2013, 3:47pm

Post #20 of 55 (1515 views)
Shortcut
Hey! They even got the physics correct! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm at the moment writing Part 3 of my essay "The Physics of The Hobbit", this time about the physics of buoyancy and Barrels Out of Bond. Several members have worried whether the Dwarves riding in their barrels without lids will "tip over" during the trip down the river. Not to give too much away too early, but the answer depends on the relative positions of two centers, the center of gravity and the center of buoyancy. The best thing to do is to hunker down in the barrel, thus putting the center of gravity lower than the center of buoyancy. What you don't want to do is stand up to full height with both arms stiff and outside the barrel.

Dwalin, Bofur, Fili, Oin, and Bifur all appear to be doing the correct thing, and their barrels look to be in stable positions. Thorin less so, and his barrel is tipping somewhat. Bilbo is holding Gloin's (or Nori's?) barrel in position. And Dori is doing it all wrong, and thus his barrel looks in danger of tipping over.
Wonder if the film events will mirror the illustration?

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

(This post was edited by DwellerInDale on Aug 16 2013, 3:54pm)

Oleander Took
Rivendell

Aug 16 2013, 5:31pm

Post #21 of 55 (1429 views)
Shortcut
Totally agree with you there, [In reply to] Can't Post

Lysanor, I thought I was seeing too much, when I first saw Empire's August issue, featuring Thranduil, Legolas and Tauriel, and Thranduil was on the side, but now I'm starting to worry that Thranduil won't get all the relevance he should have as the only real main elf in the story, (apart from Legolas, who may have been around at that time, but wasn't mentioned in the book).

"There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Aug 16 2013, 6:12pm

Post #22 of 55 (1415 views)
Shortcut
Fimbul is back! Lot's of AUJ images [In reply to] Can't Post

Besides the strange absence of Thranduil from all of these book covers I have to point out that (my favorite) Orc Fimbul the Hunter is back! I really hoped for a "larger" part in DOS for him because most of his parts in AUJ went to Yazneg. I hope we gonna see him doing some badass stuff with his wargs :D

Also I really like the Bilbo inside Smaugs eyes picture.

But there are also things I noticed which I don't like very much: They're DOS books so why do they use so much AUJ stuff?

1.) On the "Visual Companion" we've got the AUJ-Cover Bilbo

2.) On the "
Annual 2014/Activity Book/Almanac" we've got Kili from the first Warg-attack scene, Azog from the Battle of Azanulbizar, Bilbo in his AUJ clothes (look much cleaner than after leaving Gollums cave), the image of Radagast is from his conversation with Gandalf at the Trollshaws and I think even Thorins image is from AUJ.

3.) On the "
Sticker Book" and the "
Ultimate Sticker Book" isn't even one image from the new movie. The second one even uses the main poster from AUJ as it's cover... well

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 16 2013, 6:36pm

Post #23 of 55 (1356 views)
Shortcut
There haven't been many DOS images released yet... [In reply to] Can't Post

.. and those designs must have been done some weeks ago - I expect they just used what they had. I don't suppose they expect people to analyze them!

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Aug 16 2013, 8:00pm

Post #24 of 55 (1291 views)
Shortcut
Sorry but that makes no sense at all [In reply to] Can't Post

They're tie-in Books for the movie "Desolation Of Smaug". They're supposed to have (new) images and information of the movie.

There haven't been many DOS images released yet

If that's their excuse it's very lame ;) I believe that the makers of these books get the images directly from Warner/New Line/MGM and not from the internet so they might...
SPOILER ... use images we've never seen before Tongue SPOILER END I mean... why should I buy a book if I've seen all the images before and read all the information on the internet? Right! There's no reason.

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Escapist
Gondor

Aug 16 2013, 8:09pm

Post #25 of 55 (1256 views)
Shortcut
Sticker books [In reply to] Can't Post

What? No - not for me Angelic

I have these nieces ...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.