Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
"The Hobbit" 1937 edition

KasDel
Rivendell

Aug 16 2013, 1:37am

Views: 208
Shortcut
"The Hobbit" 1937 edition Can't Post

How many out there have read the 1937 edition, and was it the first time you read "The Hobbit"?

For me it was my first reading. I had found it in my high school library in 1962. I was needing a book report and it and "Have Spacesuit Will Travel" were available. I read both (and liked both!) but gave the report on "The Hobbit".
Years later after reading "The Lord of the Rings" I found out that there was an edited version of "The Hobbit" written to jive the two stories together. Needless to say I had to reread the 'new' book to see what was different. I honestly could not say at that time
what the two versions had different. Took a while to find it as I no longer had the original version with which to compare the two. I really have no preference of one over the other. They are good stand alone as they sit.
I am happy that the newer version blends in with "The Lord of the Rings" more smoothly.

KasDel the Last

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." Gildor

Subject User Time
"The Hobbit" 1937 edition KasDel Send a private message to KasDel Aug 16 2013, 1:37am
    Can't be sure... arithmancer Send a private message to arithmancer Aug 16 2013, 2:24am
    Are there any differences apart from Riddles in the Dark? Seaber Send a private message to Seaber Aug 16 2013, 7:15am
        Ch-ch-cha-changes... Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Aug 16 2013, 1:14pm
    My first read... Elthir Send a private message to Elthir Aug 16 2013, 1:34pm
    An old favorite from childhood squire Send a private message to squire Aug 16 2013, 4:52pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.