Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What ever happened to making the book come to life?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Misty Mountain Hop
Rivendell

Aug 14 2013, 1:11pm

Post #76 of 205 (1304 views)
Shortcut
A.M.E.N [In reply to] Can't Post

That's exactly how I feel. I was introduced to LOTR through the movies, so I favor them over the books. Not to say that I don't appreciate the books, they're still my favorite to read. But I think, comparisons aside, while it might not follow the books as much as some wish, the movies are still very good, and just another adaptation.

demnation
Rohan

Aug 14 2013, 1:14pm

Post #77 of 205 (1313 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Something about opinions, too each their own yada, yada, yada.

"In the beginning the Universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 14 2013, 1:28pm

Post #78 of 205 (1301 views)
Shortcut
Thank goodness for the smiley! [In reply to] Can't Post

Or I would have thought you were serious and I hate the sound of baby angel economists crying!Wink

(Still you might want to avoid anyone from the Bureau of Labor Statistics for a while. Those slipsticks can really hurt if they get in a good wrist snap!)

Once Gandalf dreamt he was a moth, a moth flitting and fluttering around, happy with himself and doing as he pleased. He didn't know he was Gandalf. Suddenly he woke up and there he was, solid and unmistakably Gandalf. But he didn't know if he was Gandalf who had dreamt he was a moth, or a moth dreaming he was Gandalf. Between Gandalf and a moth there must be some distinction! But really, there isn't, because he's actually Olórin dreaming he's both Gandalf *and* a moth!
-From Gandalfi: The Moth Dream

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 14 2013, 1:31pm

Post #79 of 205 (1303 views)
Shortcut
I have to say... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I feel sorry for those not satifsfied with the movies so far. We all waited so long for them, and I can imagine how dissappointing it must feel.

Having said that, I can only answer the question of this thread with "It happened and it is wonderful (for me personally, of course".

I can see and feel Tolkien's spirit in this movie as I felt it with the LotR trilogy, plus I feel it is a very good movie in itself, courageous enough to save the Middle-earth feeling, but tell a very embellished and charming story.

“A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of men’s imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.” J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 14 2013, 2:19pm

Post #80 of 205 (1246 views)
Shortcut
Actually if a film wins 4-5 Oscars the correlation with quality seems pretty strong. [In reply to] Can't Post

And once it tops 10 Oscars it's even moreso.

As for quality correlation with box office gross, it's true that not all who wander are lost, but that's the way to bet.

BTW, Casablanca was a solid box office success, and was nominated for eight Oscars and won three including Best Picture

As for Citizen Kane, despite William Randolph Hearst's banning of all advertising of the movie in his vast newspaper empire, his pressuring of theater chains to not show the film, and his other attempts to destroy the film commercially (and in one case literally), the film was the sixth highest grossing film in the year of its release. (One can only wonder how well it would have done financially without Hearst's sabotage.) The film was nominated for nine Oscars, though due to Hearst's threats and arm-twisting it only won one.

As for people walking out on the two films, I’m not surprised. Many people today simply cannot bear to sit through a black-and-white film. It’s like how some people cannot stand subtitled films, even though, for example, The Seven Samurai and Alexander Nevsky are two of the greatest films ever made. (And both were huge box office successes.)

Once Gandalf dreamt he was a moth, a moth flitting and fluttering around, happy with himself and doing as he pleased. He didn't know he was Gandalf. Suddenly he woke up and there he was, solid and unmistakably Gandalf. But he didn't know if he was Gandalf who had dreamt he was a moth, or a moth dreaming he was Gandalf. Between Gandalf and a moth there must be some distinction! But really, there isn't, because he's actually Olórin dreaming he's both Gandalf *and* a moth!

bborchar
Rohan

Aug 14 2013, 2:38pm

Post #81 of 205 (1249 views)
Shortcut
Hit the nail on the head... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

The only thing worse than Hollywood making a Tolkien movie that nobody watches is Hollywood making a Tolkien movie that everybody watches.

This pretty much sums up every fandom.

Trekkers- JJ Abrams sucks! (resurrected a dead series)
Tolkienites- Peter Jackson sucks! (more popular than ever)
Whoviens- Stephen Moffat sucks! (more popular than ever)
(who comes up with these names??) If someone tries to make the story accessible for everyone they cry foul. Most people just don't take movies, books or tv shows so seriously...nor do they judge something before it's come out. Some people already hate Peter Capaldi as the next Doctor...and he hasn't even started filming yet...just like people are already complaining about Beorn when we've seen exactly one blurry, low-res still of him.

There's no point in making the exact same thing that has come before. If it's exactly like the book, it's a wasted effort.

Amy: Then why am I here?
The Doctor: Because! Because I can't see it anymore.
Amy: See what?
The Doctor: I'm 907. After a while... you just can't see it!
The Doctor: Everything! I look at a star and it's just a big ball of burning gas and I know how it began and I know how it ends and I was probably there both times. After a while, everything is just stuff! That's the problem. You make all of space and time your backyard and what do you have? A backyard. But you, you can see it. And when you see it, I see it.

(This post was edited by bborchar on Aug 14 2013, 2:40pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 14 2013, 2:53pm

Post #82 of 205 (1247 views)
Shortcut
Wasn't the book entirely digital too? [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember it being 100% alpha-numeric.

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 14 2013, 3:06pm

Post #83 of 205 (1254 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I know it's all about money...

As Tolkien said:

"Art or cash"
-Letter #202

And we all know which one he chose.

RosieLass
Valinor

Aug 14 2013, 3:43pm

Post #84 of 205 (1197 views)
Shortcut
And people are allowed to disagree with you, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

Right?

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Aug 14 2013, 3:43pm

Post #85 of 205 (1206 views)
Shortcut
ROTFLMAO! [In reply to] Can't Post

Darky...Dude..

"No comment
from the
Old Forest"

Through Tears of Laughter?

Bomby

joec_34
Rivendell

Aug 14 2013, 3:49pm

Post #86 of 205 (1178 views)
Shortcut
Take the Good, Leave the Bad [In reply to] Can't Post

Elwen, I enjoyed reading your post. I had forgotten some of the crazy stuff in the LOTR trilogy and I totally agree on the stone giants and Azog front. I think AUJ is generally very respectful, but takes a lot more creative license than I had expected. It has been a fight for me to keep this kind of thing in mind when I see scenes that disapoint me in AUJ. I think it's totally worth it to fight past that tipping point though. There will always be the little moments that PJ & Co do wonderfully--like some of those Hobbitty bits that you mentioned. I think those are worth fighting through any amount of disappointment that the rest of the movie offers. After all, when we always have the books to re-read when we feel too disappointed with the films. Even if we do have zombie-Azog or Bolg, or little Half-elven-half-dwarven children running around, something about the movie sets or the nuances of Gandalf & Bilbo's interactions will inform my next reading. I also enjoy the satisfaction and appreciation I get from the book when I read about Bilbo & Thorin staying put up in their trees until Eagles arrive. In summary, when I watch the films, I try hard to take the good with me and leave the bad in the theater.

"Happy painting and God bless, my friend." - Bob Ross

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 14 2013, 3:52pm

Post #87 of 205 (1184 views)
Shortcut
I lean more towards Textualism rather than Original Intent. [In reply to] Can't Post

Though Directorial Activism can be troubling.

MasterOrc
Rivendell

Aug 14 2013, 3:58pm

Post #88 of 205 (1160 views)
Shortcut
A post back to reality.... couldn't agree more.. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
What a bunch of negative people in these forums, it´s really sad to see Unsure
To me it seems that we are living in a world filled with only cynical people... How you can possibly judge Beorn, from one tiny, low-res picture, without even seeing Persbrandts performance first is beyond me.
Claiming that the appearance is wrong is also stupid, when I´m fairly sure none of you ever knew what Tolkien had in his mind while writing the book, and though he made a slight description in the book, I don´t see how a small change of hairstyle has "destroyed" the character.
And stop praising the book. I myself love the book and I´ve read it countless times, but it is just a children´s book with nowhere near the detail of the LOTR books...
The movies are fantastic and are doing the book great justice. To say AUJ is bad is just something i can´t comprehend...

Sorry for this message, just had to get it of my chest. I don´t have anything against anyone, I´m just so tired of people complaining about the films, though I´m sure some are also sick of people praising them Smile
PS: This message is not an answer to your original post, but more of an answer to all the negative posts lately...

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Aug 14 2013, 5:04pm

Post #89 of 205 (1169 views)
Shortcut
LOL! Oh my, you may have started something! [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay. I can see it now: Hair Wars - The Return of the Shapeshifters! Or alternately....The Beorn Supremacy!

Oh, but on the hotness scale, Thorin is still at the top in my book. I know - I'm off topic.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Aug 14 2013, 5:18pm

Post #90 of 205 (1164 views)
Shortcut
How were we on the subject of Oscars? [In reply to] Can't Post

You seem to have missed the point here...your original post implied that financial success was a barometer for a film's overall quality (IE PJ did not "fail" as TH made a large amount in theaters). My response was naming a series of films which have done quite well at the BO (with each installment grossing more than the last), yet can certainly not be held up as films with quality matching their box office earnings.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Aug 14 2013, 5:44pm

Post #91 of 205 (1128 views)
Shortcut
Notice I was still referring to BO as opposed to awards... [In reply to] Can't Post

Agreed that generally, (at least predating the last several years) films that sweep the award seasons tend to be amongst the higher quality of the releases that year.

As for BO often dictating quality of a film - I'd partially agree (many film classics we hold as accomplished today were not success at the time of realase, and vice versa), but again, not so much recently, as IMO a lot of awful films have made an awful lot of money (Avatar and to a lesser extent, Titanic to hold up just two examples).

IMO we live in a rather strange time in our culture where the how good something else has little or no effect on its success. Also, there seem to a large tide of films which almost no one seems to enjoy which make globs of money as well (IE the recent Iron Man 3, which fans railed against after having been sold a different film entirely in the marketing campaign; I suppose the SW prequels probably really kick-started this trend about 14 years ago).

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Aug 14 2013, 5:51pm

Post #92 of 205 (1142 views)
Shortcut
I meant it [In reply to] Can't Post

Comparing the 30s, where there was no TV, videogames, smaller number of releases etc to today is all kinds of wrong. Wizard of Oz would not have made nearly as much today as the adjusted numbers suggest.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Aug 14 2013, 5:58pm

Post #93 of 205 (1124 views)
Shortcut
Strongly disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

At least as far as Titanic and Avatar go. The former is one amazing filmic achievement, the latter is not bad either. Looking forward to Avatar 2, 3 and 4. Wink

RosieLass
Valinor

Aug 14 2013, 6:40pm

Post #94 of 205 (1108 views)
Shortcut
That's only if you really believe... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that they were giving these awards to ROTK, and not making up for the fact that they didn't have the guts to give it to FOTR, which is the only one of the three, in my opinion, that deserved more than technical awards anyway.

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Maciliel
Valinor

Aug 14 2013, 6:44pm

Post #95 of 205 (1102 views)
Shortcut
honestly [In reply to] Can't Post

i think all the rewards for rotk were cumulative awards for one film that had to be crafted into three. he made all of those films in about one year, an incredible achievement on every level, for him and the entire creative team.

hollywood also likes to reward success, so being big at the box office did not hurt in the slightest.

cheers -

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

NottaSackville
Valinor

Aug 14 2013, 7:14pm

Post #96 of 205 (1094 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

The dwarf runes definitely need unicode.

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

cats16
Half-elven

Aug 14 2013, 8:25pm

Post #97 of 205 (1105 views)
Shortcut
Great post! I'm with you word for word. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Aug 14 2013, 8:38pm

Post #98 of 205 (1107 views)
Shortcut
Oh, well now... [In reply to] Can't Post

*There's* a topic I'm willing to go off on. Heart I'm all for hijacking a thread in the name of Thorin's hotness!

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Aug 14 2013, 8:51pm

Post #99 of 205 (1086 views)
Shortcut
Too true [In reply to] Can't Post

I just sit back and enjoy the show, hence my abstention in posting. I'd watch (almost) any movie. just to hang out with some mates and have some nosh!

Anyone else like popcorn? Anyone?

bborchar
Rohan

Aug 14 2013, 8:57pm

Post #100 of 205 (1089 views)
Shortcut
I'll take some popcorn :) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I just sit back and enjoy the show, hence my abstention in posting. I'd watch (almost) any movie. just to hang out with some mates and have some nosh!

Anyone else like popcorn? Anyone?

I won't watch any movie, because I have two small kids that limit the movies I get to watch...so I make sure they are the ones I really want to see :) But I after the movie's over, I talk about it for a day or two...and then that's it. I get back to what I was doing before. Same way with books or tv shows. It's fun while it lasts, and then I move on. I can appreciate that some people really get into something and like to know everything about it...but I've never been that way. "Jack of all trades, good at everything, great at nothing" describes me to a tee. So, for me, the movie's a fun way to pass a couple of hours with my husband when we don't have to worry about the kids...otherwise, it doesn't enter into my thoughts.

Amy: Then why am I here?
The Doctor: Because! Because I can't see it anymore.
The Doctor: I'm 907. After a while... you just can't see it!
The Doctor: Everything! I look at a star and it's just a big ball of burning gas and I know how it began and I know how it ends and I was probably there both times. After a while, everything is just stuff! That's the problem. You make all of space and time your backyard and what do you have? A backyard. But you, you can see it. And when you see it, I see it.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.