Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD: "Look at me! What did you see?"

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Aug 9 2013, 1:35pm

Post #1 of 5 (1081 views)
Shortcut
SCOD: "Look at me! What did you see?" Can't Post

http://www.framecaplib.com/...es/rotk/rotk0277.htm

http://www.framecaplib.com/...es/rotk/rotk0279.htm

http://www.framecaplib.com/...es/rotk/rotk0282.htm

http://www.framecaplib.com/...es/rotk/rotk0285.htm

Continuing onwards from Pippin's peak into the Palantir, the Fool of a Took now has to confess to Gandalf what he has done (which ironically proves to be most useful Laugh)

Feel free to answer any, all or none of the following questions:

1. Look at the first screencap. What exactly is Gandalf doing here? Would you describe it as an act of healing? Is it perhaps a nod to the "healing hand" that Frodo describes in his poem following the Wizard's fall? Furthermore, do you think that this scene is mirrored by Gandalf's revival of Thorin in The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey?

2. Pippin's face is very expressive in the two following screencaps. Look at the second screencap. What do you see on Pippin's face here? Disbelief, shock, terror, denial, guilt, etc?

3. Look at the third screencap. What do you see on Pippin's face here? Innocence, fear, emotion etc?

4. Look at the final screencap. What does Gandalf's expression show here? Realisation, concern, anger, etc?

5. How successful do you feel that this scene was in capturing the passage in the book?

6. Any other thoughts/comments?

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."-Gandalf

flameofudun
Lorien

Aug 12 2013, 9:37pm

Post #2 of 5 (831 views)
Shortcut
I always loved this part [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Never made that connection before. Yes, I think you're on to something.
2. Shock and terror. Definitely. He just saw sauron.
3.still fear, but obviously gandalf reads innocence.
4.concern. For sure, worry about gondor maybe, and pippin.

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 13 2013, 8:13pm

Post #3 of 5 (798 views)
Shortcut
"Help me, Obi-Wan Gandalfi! You're my only hope!" [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Look at the first screencap. What exactly is Gandalf doing here?

A laying on of hands.

Would you describe it as an act of healing?

That too.

Is it perhaps a nod to the "healing hand" that Frodo describes in his poem following the Wizard's fall?

Or the “helping hands” Sarah encounters in Labyrinth.

Furthermore, do you think that this scene is mirrored by Gandalf's revival of Thorin in The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey?

And by Ben Kenobi laying hands on Luke Skywalker in Star Wars after he’s killed by that sandperson guy. It’s bad enough Jackson copies George Lucas, but now he’s copying himself copying George Lucas!

2. Pippin's face is very expressive in the two following screencaps. Look at the second screencap. What do you see on Pippin's face here? Disbelief, shock, terror, denial, guilt, etc?

Catatonia.

3. Look at the third screencap. What do you see on Pippin's face here? Innocence, fear, emotion etc?

Realization. I think Gandalf has healed his mind just enough so that now Pippin can cope and come out of his shock.

4. Look at the final screencap. What does Gandalf's expression show here? Realisation, concern, anger, etc?

Yes. Which is why McKellen is a great actor.

5. How successful do you feel that this scene was in capturing the passage in the book?

Very well, even better with McKellen's acting addded in there.

6. Any other thoughts/comments?

SW trilogy = LOTR trilogy
Obi Wan Kenobi = Gandalf
C3P0 and R2D2 = Legolas and Gimli
Princess Leia = Princess Arwen
Grand Moff Tarkin = Saruman
Luke meets disreputable Han Solo in bar = Frodo meets disreputable Strider in bar
Little Ewoks defeat the Empire = Little Hobbits defeat Sauron
Lousy fighting stormtroopers = Lousy fighting orcs
Luke blows up Death Star = Frodo blows up Barad-dur
Obi Wan "killed" in duel with Darth Vader but comes back more powerful than before = Gandalf "killed" in duel with Balrog but comes back more powerful than before
Etc. = etc.

It's a wonder Lucas hasn't sued the pants off Jackson.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

willowing
Lorien

Aug 17 2013, 10:00am

Post #4 of 5 (846 views)
Shortcut
SCOD-Look at me [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Look at the first screencap. What exactly is Gandalf doing here? Would you describe it as an act of healing? Is it perhaps a nod to the "healing hand" that Frodo describes in his poem following the Wizard's fall? Furthermore, do you think that this scene is mirrored by Gandalf's revival of Thorin in The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey?

Gandalf has his hand on Pippin, his eyes are closed and he is in deep utterance of blessing for Pippin's healing. Whatever it was that affected Pippin, Gandalf actions certainly bought thLe life back to Pippin again. Who was lying flat out on his back staring into space. I don't think he was physically hurt by the ordeal just that the influence of the Palantir caused him to go into some sort of state that affected his emotions and nerves.

Thorin Oakenshield's experience is so different to Pippin's. His healing came about due to his physical injuries at the hands of Azog which left him unconscious. Nevertheless Gandalf was able to apply the necessary healing for both cases.

Fright and fear is written all over Pippin's face because the first face Pippin sees after he comes out of a stupor is Gandalf's. The first words that spill out of his mouth is "Gandalf forgive me".

I see a faraway look in Pippin's eyes and an emotional tenseness in his face.

Gandalf having a panic attack.

Very successful. A good book like a movie has to go through many edits before the final edit makes a perfect fit.

flameofudun
Lorien

Aug 18 2013, 2:48am

Post #5 of 5 (816 views)
Shortcut
I sure hope you are joking. [In reply to] Can't Post

Because seriously The Lord of the Rings was written long before the first Star Wars movie was even conceived. Not being a fanboy here but lotr is far superior to Star Wars. I was a fan of Star Wars for a while, but not anymore after the terrible choices made in the trilogy after, including the tv show.... Rant over\

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.