Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Did Wormtongue eat Lotho?

Seaber
Rivendell

Aug 9 2013, 8:27am

Views: 1167
Shortcut
Did Wormtongue eat Lotho? Can't Post

Saruman turned. 'No evil?' he cackled. 'Oh no! Even when he sneaks out at night it is only to look at the stars. But did I hear someone ask where poor Lotho is hiding? You know, don't you, Worm? Will you tell them?'

Wormtongue cowered down and whimpered: 'No, no!'

'Then I will,' said Saruman. 'Worm killed your Chief, poor little fellow, your nice little Boss. Didn't you, Worm? Stabbed him in his sleep, I believe. Buried him, I hope; though Worm has been very hungry lately. No, Worm is not really nice. You had better leave him to me.'

This passage has always troubled and enthralled me. The idea of Wormtongue killing Lotho in his sleep is well within his character as a ruthless, caniving, but ultimately pathetic character, but the suggestion that he would eat him always seemed a bit farfetched.

Reading the books again, I get more of a sense of Saruman's loathing of Wormtongue, so no doubt he is cruel enough to drive him to it, but would Wormtongue actually do it?

Part of me hopes that it is just Saruman being deceitful as ever, but another, more macabre part of me wants it to be true, to reveal further the true horror of evil, how the great can fall.

I think one thing that makes me doubt it is true most of all, is that it seems to me a rather un-Tolkien suggestion of cannibalism (or at least, near cannibalism!) Indeed, it does seem more like an idea that could be used in the films. Perhaps in the past I have skimmed over that particular sentence, so only now is the full effect realised.

Anyway, what does everyone else think? :)

Subject User Time
Did Wormtongue eat Lotho? Seaber Send a private message to Seaber Aug 9 2013, 8:27am
    I have always assumed that Wormtounge did in fact eat Lotho Lightfoot Send a private message to Lightfoot Aug 9 2013, 12:51pm
    I think..... Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Aug 9 2013, 2:13pm
    I think Sauraman was just trying to influence people with his words... Elwen Send a private message to Elwen Aug 9 2013, 3:05pm
        I like this!!! Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Aug 9 2013, 3:57pm
        Nice analysis IdrilofGondolin Send a private message to IdrilofGondolin Aug 9 2013, 5:03pm
            let's not forget Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Aug 9 2013, 5:08pm
                The Gollum connection CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Aug 11 2013, 6:32pm
                    Why was Grima hungry? FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Aug 11 2013, 7:47pm
                        i don't think Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Aug 11 2013, 11:20pm
                            Agreed. FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Aug 12 2013, 9:57am
                        I think Saruman was starving him CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Aug 13 2013, 4:40am
                            Which gives rise to a couple of questions. Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Aug 13 2013, 4:54am
                                Well, my answers are CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Aug 13 2013, 5:19am
                                    Was Gollum an Orc? Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Aug 13 2013, 1:27pm
            I do remember a reference to an Inklings discussion. Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Aug 9 2013, 5:08pm
            I think though, if he had eaten him, Elwen Send a private message to Elwen Aug 9 2013, 5:33pm
                Glaurung Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Aug 9 2013, 5:39pm
        Saruman is also desparate to provoke Frodo to violence... noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Aug 13 2013, 2:57pm
    'Course he did. geordie Send a private message to geordie Aug 9 2013, 6:39pm
        Don't be tasty... I mean, hasty squire Send a private message to squire Aug 10 2013, 4:20am
            nah. he done it - geordie Send a private message to geordie Aug 10 2013, 7:49am
    This is an amazing discovery Arandir Send a private message to Arandir Aug 9 2013, 7:33pm
        Of course he ate him... Morthoron Send a private message to Morthoron Aug 10 2013, 1:54am
            (*chuckles*) Very good Morthoron!!!! // Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Aug 10 2013, 2:34am
            Oh I see ... :) // Arandir Send a private message to Arandir Aug 10 2013, 9:26am
    Maybe a little Fredeghar Wayfarer Send a private message to Fredeghar Wayfarer Aug 10 2013, 5:17am
    Carrion most foul PhantomS Send a private message to PhantomS Aug 11 2013, 1:06am
    Saruman's Caliban? Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Aug 11 2013, 6:57am
        Mirror, mirror FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Aug 11 2013, 7:58pm
            So Gollum is a nice mirror. Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Aug 11 2013, 11:26pm
                Reflections FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Aug 12 2013, 10:16am
    I don't think so... grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Aug 11 2013, 1:21pm
        You're too sweet, Gramma... Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Aug 11 2013, 6:39pm
            So he did, but it wasn't cannibalism. Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Aug 11 2013, 11:16pm
    A further thought Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Aug 12 2013, 3:46am
        Abused spouse syndrome CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Aug 13 2013, 12:35am
            Many possibilities here Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Aug 13 2013, 1:57am
                I like all these explanations for his behavior CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Aug 13 2013, 4:37am
                    Another supporting point Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Aug 13 2013, 6:00am
    I hope Saruman provided ketchup Hamfast Gamgee Send a private message to Hamfast Gamgee Aug 12 2013, 8:26am
    Now, that *is* an interesting concept Madril Send a private message to Madril Aug 13 2013, 8:49pm
        Delicate touch of the author - something I love too Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Aug 13 2013, 9:59pm
        To eat or not to eat CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Aug 14 2013, 2:09am
            Grima's reward Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Aug 14 2013, 2:41am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.