Gollum vs Hamlet

Lothwen
Rivendell

Aug 8 2013, 11:16am

Post #1 of 12 (1166 views)
Shortcut
Gollum vs Hamlet Can't Post

Which is better at arguing with himself, and/or does it more? Cool

Followed by that awkwarder moment when you realize that you think this is awesome...

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Aug 8 2013, 2:57pm

Post #2 of 12 (1005 views)
Shortcut
If it comes down to sheer length of time. [In reply to] Can't Post

Gollum.

He's had the Ring for HOW long?

Oh, and if you think different......

*Smeagol voice*

"Not listeningggg!"

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Aug 9 2013, 12:48am

Post #3 of 12 (968 views)
Shortcut
Gollum talks to himself an awful lot. [In reply to] Can't Post

And even answers himself. Shocked He's had the Ring for a long time. I gotta go with Gollum.

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Aug 9 2013, 1:41am

Post #4 of 12 (966 views)
Shortcut
Gollum [In reply to] Can't Post

he actually listens to himself

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Aug 9 2013, 4:06pm

Post #5 of 12 (951 views)
Shortcut
Toughie [In reply to] Can't Post

Thing is, Gollum was a nice enough hobbit before the ring brought it's influence upon him, Hamlet had his problems without the intervention of the Ring, so if Hamlet were to possess the Ring I think he would probably become madder than Gollum and would hence be better at arguing with himself.

LotR's Gollum (i.e. Gollum without the Ring) would beat Hamlet but if Hamlet gets the Ring...Gollum loses.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."-Gandalf

Elwen
Lorien

Aug 9 2013, 4:21pm

Post #6 of 12 (1104 views)
Shortcut
Methinks we likes this one my precious. No we don't. Yes we do........let's ask Yorik. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think this one goes to Gollum.

photo Desolation-of-Smaug2_zpsc1584ee1.jpg
Tauriel: So let me get this straight sir, this Elwen girl is back on something called TORn, and rather than just tell her to stop stalking you, you'd like me to show up in a movie I have no business being in in a ploy to distract her, and nevermind the wrath of countless Tolkien fans who will be calling for my destruction?

Legolas: That about sums it up. Besides, some people might like you. Oh, and to be on the safe side, can we pretend to be a couple too?

Lothwen
Rivendell

Aug 12 2013, 11:14am

Post #7 of 12 (941 views)
Shortcut
Interesting... [In reply to] Can't Post

Pretty much everyone has gone for Gollum...I had thought Hamlet was better; let's face it, he does have a better vocabulary. Very interesting- still, I was possibly biased towards Hamlet; he might have won a "who has the best arguing style" competition. Laugh

Followed by that awkwarder moment when you realize that you think this is awesome...

(This post was edited by Lothwen on Aug 12 2013, 11:15am)

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Aug 12 2013, 12:20pm

Post #8 of 12 (926 views)
Shortcut
Too true [In reply to] Can't Post

A 5y/o might be able to carry on longer or over the most amount of things, but you wouldn't see them winning any debate society awards.

Quantity over quality.

Let us assume that Gollum would be less in style but greater in force/passion like a 5y/o, and Hamlet, more dramatic and tragic, articulating his argument, and coming to a real, rational decision. I didn't see Gollum resolving anything.

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 12 2013, 5:18pm

Post #9 of 12 (983 views)
Shortcut
Hamlet [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, Professor, but Hamlet's Seven Soliloquies are exquisite studies in the nature of Man's existence, evolving in sensibility from “O that this too sullied flesh would melt” to “O all you host of heaven” to “O what a rogue and peasant slave am I!” to “To be, or not to be, that is the question” to “Tis now the very witching time of night” to “And so ‘a goes to heaven” to finally “'How all occasions do inform against me.”

Compare any of The Seven to:

"Fissh, nice fissh. White Face has vanished, my precious, at last yes. Now we can eat in peace. No, not in peace, precious. For precious is lost; yes. Dirty hobbits, nasty hobbits. Gone and left us, gollum; and Precious is gone. Only poor Sméagol all alone. No Precious. Nasty Men, they'll take it, they'll steal my Precious. Thieves. We hates them. Fissh, nice fissh."

Um, okay....

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

AnneDonahue
The Shire

Aug 13 2013, 11:19pm

Post #10 of 12 (1402 views)
Shortcut
Gollum [In reply to] Can't Post

His self-arguing is much more amusing. And was actually effective, unlike Hamlet who just argued then paused, then argued more, then killed the wrong guy, then had his friends... well, "friends" killed then came back from England...all while arguing MORE and then finally died... while arguing. Tongue

Nunilo
Bree

Sep 6 2013, 1:25pm

Post #11 of 12 (953 views)
Shortcut
Hamlet [In reply to] Can't Post

'Gollum' would eventually persuade 'Smeagol' to reach some sort of conclusion or decision, but Hamlet's self-arguments would probably drag on for much longer.

Annael
Immortal

Dec 31 2014, 9:16pm

Post #12 of 12 (964 views)
Shortcut
yeah // [In reply to] Can't Post

Since evidence can be adduced and interpreted to corroborate a virtually limitless array of world views, the human challenge is to engage that world view or set of perspectives which brings forth the most valuable, life-enhancing consequences.

- Richard Tarnas, The Passion of the Western Mind

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.