Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
PJ Facebook comments & The Silmarillion

Cillendor
Lorien

Aug 6 2013, 5:42pm

Views: 699
Shortcut
PJ Facebook comments & The Silmarillion Can't Post

If you read the comments of Peter Jackson's recent posts about wrapping up production on The Hobbit, you'll see a large amount of them are requests for him to film a series on The Silmarillion. I think most of us would agree that this idea is preposterous, not to mention impossible. But I have another solution for those who want to see what is arguably the greatest book on Middle-earth come to life.

I think an animated series would be the best route to go. It could be all CGI, like Star Wars: The Clone Wars but stylized for Tolkien, or it could be traditional in more of a highly detailed anime format. Either way, I think that this would give the writers a lot more freedom to follow the text as it's written and tell the complete story.

The problem with making a movie out of The Silmarillion is that there are only a few stories that could be adapted for a 2- or 3-hour movie. Most of the stories have characters who can't be introduced without taking extensive liberties, and most of them draw out and carry on into further events. Also, there are few happy endings to appeal to non-fans.

Thus, I think an animated project like this would be a good way to give hardcore fans a visual representation of The Silmarillion without having major revisions to make the story fit within the limitations of cinema.

I would hope that if this is ever done, whoever does it would keep the character designs for people like Galadriel, Elrond, Isildur, Elendil, Gil-galad, and Círdan consistent with the Peter Jackson franchise, if only because it just makes sense.

If such a thing were successful, the first season could tackle the First Age (or depending on how detailed it gets and how long each episode is, half of the First Age). The second season would then finish the First Age or just be about the Second Age. There isn't a lot to go off of here, but there is Aldarion and Erendis from Unfinished Tales, and Helge Fauskganger's outline for a Westernesse movie could be adapted for this format. The second season might still run short, but with a little bit of work I think they could draw this out into ten episodes.

The third and final season would be dedicated to the Third Age. There are many stories here to tell. The Battle of the Last Alliance, the friendship between Rohan and Gondor, and the Coming of the Wizards are just three. And if they writers wanted, they could even do their own versions of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings to finish up the series.

All of this would require creating extra dialog. They couldn't be 100% faithful to the text. But by not catering to a movie theater audience, they would have a lot more freedom to stick to the events in the story.

The storytelling style that I think would work best is the one employed in Star Wars: Clone Wars the microseries. The first two "seasons" were short clips about five minutes each with very little dialog. They just served to show what the characters were doing. The last season had more of a plot to it. The last frame of the final episode led directly into the opening of Revenge of the Sith.

It may very well be that most or all of you think this is a terrible idea and just shoot it down. That is okay. Please just do so politely and explain why you think that way. I've just had this idea for a while now and didn't know where else to share it so that someone who could do something with it would see it.

Thank you.

Subject User Time
PJ Facebook comments & The Silmarillion Cillendor Send a private message to Cillendor Aug 6 2013, 5:42pm
    The Silmarillion: Chronicles of The Elder Days Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Aug 6 2013, 6:42pm
        Actually that's not a bad (or overly painful idea)! malickfan Send a private message to malickfan Aug 6 2013, 6:53pm
            Have you seen... Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë Aug 7 2013, 2:47am
                Similar but..... Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Aug 7 2013, 4:45am
                    It's not my preferred style Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë Aug 7 2013, 9:58pm
    Personally I'm (almost)completely against any more of Tolkien's books being adapated...but if they had to do it then Animation would be the way to go malickfan Send a private message to malickfan Aug 6 2013, 6:51pm
    Welcome, Cillendor CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Aug 6 2013, 6:56pm
        It will be a cold day in Angband... Morthoron Send a private message to Morthoron Aug 6 2013, 7:29pm
        Series yes, animation no. Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Aug 7 2013, 12:51am
            High-quality, full animation is expensive Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Aug 7 2013, 1:00am
        Thanks for the warm welcome! Cillendor Send a private message to Cillendor Aug 8 2013, 4:06am
    an individual story is probably a better option elostirion74 Send a private message to elostirion74 Aug 6 2013, 8:36pm
        The Children of Húrin Cillendor Send a private message to Cillendor Aug 8 2013, 4:45am
    The old fashioned route Terazed Send a private message to Terazed Aug 7 2013, 5:33am
    In my ideal world demnation Send a private message to demnation Aug 7 2013, 7:26am
        I would love to see the Silmarillion bought to life on film ElendilTheShort Send a private message to ElendilTheShort Aug 7 2013, 11:36am
        Put it much better (and shorter than I did) malickfan Send a private message to malickfan Aug 7 2013, 11:52am
    But remember one thing Hamfast Gamgee Send a private message to Hamfast Gamgee Aug 8 2013, 11:04pm
    Could work but.. sam90 Send a private message to sam90 Aug 10 2013, 9:14pm
        I think by the time this ever happens, Cillendor Send a private message to Cillendor Aug 15 2013, 2:50am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.