Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Real-Life Radagast Bird Poo!

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Aug 3 2013, 9:14pm

Post #1 of 17 (1039 views)
Shortcut
Real-Life Radagast Bird Poo! Can't Post

It turns out Radagast is not so much terrible in regards to hygiene as he is merely ahead of his time!! Laugh

A short article (presumably from the Associated Press) appeared in my paper this morning, and I could not help but think about the facet of WETA's design for the Brown Wizard that has garnered more hate than anything else:

"NEW YORK - Bird poop for beauty?
"That's what goes into facials at a luxury spa where the traditional Japanese treatment using imported Asian nightingale excrement mixed with rice bran goes for $180 a pop.
"About 100 women and men go into the Shizuka New York skin care salon, just off Manhattan's Fifth Avenue, each month to get the treatment, which is promoted as a way to keep the face soft and smooth using an enzyme in the poop to gently exfoliate the skin.
"Spa owner Shizuka Bernstein, a Tokyo native married to an American, has been offering what she calls the Geisha Facial for about five years."

Now, I cannot imagine for the life of my why people would do this in real life (much less pay for it), but it makes Radagast seem a bit more believable now, doesn't he? Shocked Tongue

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Aug 3 2013, 9:53pm

Post #2 of 17 (453 views)
Shortcut
Aaaaah, I knew it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Our nature boy was ahead of his time.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Aug 3 2013, 11:02pm

Post #3 of 17 (419 views)
Shortcut
Ewwww. [In reply to] Can't Post

So who's volunteering to have a facial at Radagast's Rhosgobel Beauty Parlor? Who needs Asian nightengales when you have...umm... Rhosgobel Brown-streaked LBJs? And just wait til you hear how hedgehogs figure in to the beauty treatments!

Lio
Lorien

Aug 3 2013, 11:32pm

Post #4 of 17 (402 views)
Shortcut
"Soft and smooth" [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, Radagast does look a bit younger than the other Wizards. Maybe there's something to it? Then again, the poop's only on one side of his face so sooner or later we'll see if it actually makes a difference. Wink

Dwalin Balin Kili Fili Dori Nori Ori Oin Gloin Bifur Bofur Bombur Thorin

Orcs are mammals!

"Don't laugh at the Dwarves because they will mess you up." Dean O'Gorman (Fili)

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Aug 4 2013, 1:41am

Post #5 of 17 (390 views)
Shortcut
There's A Post On Here [In reply to] Can't Post

I read a post on here somewhere that compared to Radagast to Merlin The Wizard from King Arthur Legend, they had the same qualities: poo on face, birds in hair stuff like that and I never noticed it before I thought it was genius cause everyone is comparing him to Jar Jat Binks when he's really Merlin!

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Aug 4 2013, 1:59am

Post #6 of 17 (364 views)
Shortcut
Next, 4 out of 5 dentists find that keeping a stick insect on the tongue helps prevent gingivitis. // [In reply to] Can't Post

A bag is like a hole that you can carry with you.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

Na Vedui
Rohan

Aug 4 2013, 2:43am

Post #7 of 17 (350 views)
Shortcut
Radagast the inventor [In reply to] Can't Post

So that's why he's only got it on one side - it's a controlled experiment to see whether it does make a difference...

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Aug 4 2013, 5:00am

Post #8 of 17 (358 views)
Shortcut
He was always believable [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just wearing dung is gross. Laugh But what he does is nothing compared to this salon. There are other, less gross ways to keep the skin soft and smooth. Cool These people have to be desperate to pay $180 for a dung facial. Crazy

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 4 2013, 8:22am

Post #9 of 17 (322 views)
Shortcut
Here you go - a link.... [In reply to] Can't Post

At least, I think this will take you to the posts you're thinking of: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=630574#630574

(If not, it's on page 2 right now in a thread about Radagast's visions of the future.)

I think all this rather prissy outrage about Radagast and the bird poo is hilarious. Radagast has a nest under his hat, and anyone who has ever seen a bird's nest or roost will know what you find around them. It's natural - the earth is covered with poo of various kinds, and what this represents in Radagast, and in T H White's Merlyn, who is very close to the concept of Radagast in the film, is his closeness to nature. He doesn't fuss over externals - his priorities are different. You find similar - even grosser - symbolism in the character of the Walker in Michelle Paver's 'Chronicles of Ancient Darkness'. It's not an idea Peter Jackson invented.

Wouldn't suit all of us. I wouldn't want a bird nesting in my hair but then, I'm not a wizard

Bombadil
Half-elven

Aug 4 2013, 11:09am

Post #10 of 17 (286 views)
Shortcut
Werde did do say Nightengale?, better not let Magpie see this?/// [In reply to] Can't Post

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Aug 4 2013, 1:05pm

Post #11 of 17 (276 views)
Shortcut
nightengale guano [In reply to] Can't Post

there's some sort of luthien joke here that i +refuse+ to make.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Na Vedui
Rohan

Aug 4 2013, 1:57pm

Post #12 of 17 (276 views)
Shortcut
Poo, and other uncouthities [In reply to] Can't Post

It doesn't worry me either, perhaps because it reminded me of years ago when I read a legend of St Kevin and the Blackbird. St K sat down to pray with his hands lifted...came back to earthly things and discovered a blackbird had laid its eggs in the palm of his hand. Being a saint, of course he sat there until the eggs had hatched and fledged Smile

The troll-snot does gross me out rather (yuck!) but the belching at the Unexpected Party made absolute sense once I'd figured out the family dynamics - it's all about the Ri's. I bet Dori is an absolute stickler for table-manners and things like belching are a long-standing source of friction. He's pretty much given up on Nori (who does a little belch just to annoy Dori and assert his independence), but Ori probably behaves most of the time, especially when Nori isn't around to egg him on - see him wiping the dust off the dishes, and asking Bilbo so politely what he should do with his plate. But tonight Nori is there, Ori is full of ale and over-excited at going on a Quest, so he lets rip. And the person who laughs is of course Kili, who is still young and giddy enough to think that sort of thing is cool (and I wouldn't mind betting he gets sat on at home about table-manners too - can't imagine Thorin putting up with any belching from the Heirs of Durin, can you?).

Bombadil
Half-elven

Aug 4 2013, 3:04pm

Post #13 of 17 (289 views)
Shortcut
Goldberry did This! [In reply to] Can't Post

Bragg's Organic Pure Apple Cider Vinegar
mixed 50/50 with
"Aztec Secret" Indian Healing Clay
advertised as
"The World's most powerful Facial"
A product from Death Valley, USA

Your Face will love IT!
and it's also great for Age spots
on your hands

Any Health Food store sells both!

Bomby

glor
Rohan

Aug 4 2013, 6:37pm

Post #14 of 17 (238 views)
Shortcut
That was me. [In reply to] Can't Post

T E White's Merlin to be precise.

Lio
Lorien

Aug 5 2013, 1:31am

Post #15 of 17 (207 views)
Shortcut
Nice observations! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love your analysis of the Dwarves' dynamics here. Even though their family relationships are never stated in the movie, if you dig deeper you pick up on nice little details like this. I really appreciate the care the filmmakers put into this, and it makes the movie more rewatchable too as you notice something different every time. Smile

Dwalin Balin Kili Fili Dori Nori Ori Oin Gloin Bifur Bofur Bombur Thorin

Orcs are mammals!

"Don't laugh at the Dwarves because they will mess you up." Dean O'Gorman (Fili)

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Aug 6 2013, 2:34am

Post #16 of 17 (188 views)
Shortcut
That's better [In reply to] Can't Post

Indian Aztec clay sounds like it's better for the face, and if it's in health food stores, I'm guessing it's at a reasonable price. Sounds, natural, healthy, and not gross like dung! Laugh Goldberry sounds like she was just like her namesake. Did she make this product?

Bombadil
Half-elven

Aug 7 2013, 10:04pm

Post #17 of 17 (144 views)
Shortcut
Bomby still uses it, about Once aweek.. [In reply to] Can't Post

and my Face hasn't Fallen off...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.