Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond - There and Back Again Challenge!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Aug 4 2013, 5:58am

Post #1 of 22 (221 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond - There and Back Again Challenge! Can't Post

Well, I'm rather behind it, getting our thread started this week. My apology; I'm in another state (Oregon) and this is the first time I've checked even my email, let alone made it to TORn, since my last post. And, of course, I'm not on my laptop, which means I'm not able to put all of our stats and links into the post like I usually do.

That said, it's better late than never this week! How go your journeys through Middle Earth and this Earth? Any great hikes (those were absolutely lovely pics, Joe-M!), new personal best running times, or pleasant meanderings to report?

Beamer got in an 8-mile hike at camp, so we'll be adding that to her total, as well as some nice walks and errand-running from this past week. Portland is so much more conducive to erranding on-foot than Northern Colorado. sigh. Have I mentioned? Beamer, my Hobbit and I are going camping with some good friends and my brother-in-law and nephew tomorrow. Yep, it'll be four adults, Beamer, and four rambunctious boys, down at the coast for three days. This'll work, right?Evil
Cool

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

sherlock
Gondor

Aug 4 2013, 12:16pm

Post #2 of 22 (151 views)
Shortcut
Got a new app on my phone [In reply to] Can't Post

called Map My Hike. The last two mornings when I'm out at 4:00 am in the dark walking it startled me announcing my progress at the one mile mark. I'm up to a mile & a half most days but I want to work up to doing 45-60 minutes each day. I really like the app! There is one for running, cycling & other activities.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 4 2013, 3:41pm

Post #3 of 22 (165 views)
Shortcut
What a group for peaceful, quiet camping... [In reply to] Can't Post

NOT! But cripes, it sound like fun! I'm so glad you're having such and adventurous summer :D AND I hope the weather holds up for you. But I'll bet those kids will have fun no matter WHAT the weather is.

Thanks for keeping us on the Road while you're on the Road yourself.

I'm having a great week with this very nice weather; and while the mileage isn't as high as before, I'm getting a lot done. I'm on my way out the door this morning with my chainsaw to finish the job on a tree the parasites used as a lunch box for the past few years since the Emerald Ash Borer bug killed my beautiful Ash tree... the one that hosted the Elven flet my Brother built. I could have parked my Hobbity SUV on that thing! *sigh* Gotta clear it out before the neekerbreekers find their way to my house.

*cracks knuckles* So I'm off with chainsaw in hand! Have a wonderful week everyone!!

Miles covered: 18 miles
Cumulated miles: 23059
Goal: #2 Unexpected Journey Individual Challenge and contributing to the Group :)

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Joe-Mathews
Rivendell

Aug 5 2013, 12:01am

Post #4 of 22 (158 views)
Shortcut
First of August [In reply to] Can't Post

I did better this week. I'll try to keep it up.

I've got many, many photos to tweak and a fully redesigned website of my own to tinker with and to fill with my photos so I'll get on with it.

Miles since last: 13.46
Miles this challenge: 233.58
Total miles: 313.68
Left to Go: 733.42

And now for eye candy:

'There is some woe that lies upon you... Why will you not tell me more?'
'For that woe is past,' said Galadriel; 'and I would take what joy is here left, untroubled by memory. And maybe there is woe enough yet to come, thought still hope may seem bright.'

sherlock
Gondor

Aug 5 2013, 10:58am

Post #5 of 22 (132 views)
Shortcut
Gramma, I wish [In reply to] Can't Post

You lived closer to me so you could show me how to use a chainsaw & such. I always left that sort if thing up to my husband (who could do it all) & now I have to pay big bucks to get stuff done for me. You are impressive!

sherlock
Gondor

Aug 5 2013, 10:59am

Post #6 of 22 (134 views)
Shortcut
Great pics! [In reply to] Can't Post

What is that blue bird?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 5 2013, 12:10pm

Post #7 of 22 (130 views)
Shortcut
*hugs* :) [In reply to] Can't Post

You'd be surprised how much you can do. Start small and build up. Go out and get a small (14"-20") electric chainsaw and trim your smaller branches and wayward bushes. The cord does limit you, but you won't have to worry about mixing gas and oil for the portable saws. Don't forget the safety glasses!

Trust me, my work isn't always pretty or done right, but I tend to just go for it... and I think you're that way, too ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Joe-Mathews
Rivendell

Aug 5 2013, 2:14pm

Post #8 of 22 (132 views)
Shortcut
Indigo Bunting (male) [In reply to] Can't Post

'There is some woe that lies upon you... Why will you not tell me more?'
'For that woe is past,' said Galadriel; 'and I would take what joy is here left, untroubled by memory. And maybe there is woe enough yet to come, thought still hope may seem bright.'

ShyElf
Lorien

Aug 5 2013, 7:58pm

Post #9 of 22 (132 views)
Shortcut
You are so good to us Arandiel! [In reply to] Can't Post

Posting while on the road!

Been super busy at work. Even had to spend last weekend at the office! I'm looking forward to a slightly quieter August!

I do have a milestone for you. True - I haven't had a chance to post since mid-July - but I have been tracking my mileage.

Miles since my last post: 21 Smile Yes, you read it correctly - 21 miles!!! Not too long ago, 21 miles would have taken me over 6 months....
Cumulative Miles: 112.5
Goal: There and back again!

Enjoying the last day of a 3-day weekend up here in the Great White North!

Cheers!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Elwen
Lorien

Aug 6 2013, 1:03pm

Post #10 of 22 (118 views)
Shortcut
Some more miles...chugging along [In reply to] Can't Post

Well I did another 5.5 miles this week. Less than I would have liked, given that 2.5 of them were done on Sunday. My daughter's rabbit died Sunday and after the bunny funeral I told her we could do anything she wanted for the afternoon. She suggested we hike up a local mountain, so that's what we did. I was grateful as she was really a family pet and I'm going to miss her hopping around the girls' playroom and teasing the dogs.

Here's a pic of Mr. Elwen and the elleths near the top.

She said she was glad we didn't see any rabbits. All we did see was a baby snake and some chipmunks. Really though, when you hike with our mini-elleth, the chances of seeing wildlife are low. (She likes to sing while riding in the backpack. She's probably an effective bear bell come to think of it.)

I need to keep better track of my miles so I have a nice accurate total.

Before kids, exercising with LOTR meant listening to the soundtrack while I ran.

After kids, exercising with LOTR means having an all out dance party with the little ones to the "Break the Dam Release the River" disco mix form the Lego game.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 6 2013, 2:34pm

Post #11 of 22 (112 views)
Shortcut
That's so cool!! [In reply to] Can't Post

OMG! It's like you're not walking alone at all! Sort of like JARVIS for Iron Man. Pretty much invisible, but always aware of what you're up to ;)

Awesome, sherlock!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 6 2013, 2:35pm

Post #12 of 22 (111 views)
Shortcut
*gasp* Wonderful :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh man... I wanna walk with YOU! Well done :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 6 2013, 2:36pm

Post #13 of 22 (111 views)
Shortcut
Woohoo! Well done! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't it amazing how those miles just keep adding up! *high five* You're tearing up the road!

Have a great week... and hang in there!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 6 2013, 2:43pm

Post #14 of 22 (115 views)
Shortcut
Oh man... you've tugged at my heartstrings [In reply to] Can't Post

with that pic! It's stunning, and so peaceful! What a lovely picture of an equally lovely family.

I used to carry my kids and my g'kids around in that backpack tote carrier thingy. When my eldest was a toddler (she's 42 now), I took her through a bunch of stores when we lived in Clearwater, Florida. When I got home and took her out of her carrier, a found a collection of gum, a pipe, a can of tuna, a shelf label... pretty much anything she could reach in each store when I stood still long enough for her to grab something. OMG! How do I know where to take all that back!? *sigh* Lucky we didn't get busted!

I'm so sorry about your bunny. They really are special pets and are pretty quiet, too ;)

*hugs* to the kids and to you. Bunny had a great life in your home.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Elwen
Lorien

Aug 6 2013, 5:42pm

Post #15 of 22 (114 views)
Shortcut
LOL and thanks! I love the assortment.... [In reply to] Can't Post

of goodies you came home with. When my oldest was a toddler I had her in the stroller while shopping at the mall. At one point while out in the hall, she dropped her sippy cup and as I moved around the front of the stroller to hand it to her, I saw her with a black blouse in her lap. Apparently she had liked the feel of the fabric and grabbed it. Based on the label I was able to trace it back to where it came from and, rather red-faced, explain what happened.

Thanks for the digital hugs...who would have thought we would have been so broken up over a rabbit? She died younger than we would have expected (5 and a half) but was happy I think and went peacefully in her sleep, so there's a lot comfort in that.

Before kids, exercising with LOTR meant listening to the soundtrack while I ran.

After kids, exercising with LOTR means having an all out dance party with the little ones to the "Break the Dam Release the River" disco mix form the Lego game.

Lindenwyn
The Shire

Aug 6 2013, 11:56pm

Post #16 of 22 (106 views)
Shortcut
once again I'm behind.... [In reply to] Can't Post

this time it's not my computer's fault, lol. All my technology is fixed, I've just been busy!

Miles this week: 8
Cumulative miles: 284.67
Goal: There and back again!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 11 2013, 1:16pm

Post #17 of 22 (112 views)
Shortcut
Hey! Life happen :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Sometimes we're just too popular :D

Have a wonderful week!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Iolani
Rivendell

Aug 12 2013, 12:55pm

Post #18 of 22 (91 views)
Shortcut
Oh wow!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Those are incredible pictures! Just beautiful! Definitely eye candy. ;D And good work on the miles!

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And you didn't want to know the end...for how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But then you realize in the end it's just a passing thing, this shadow. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories a lot of chances of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holdin' on to something."
"What are we holding onto, Sam?"
"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for!"

Iolani
Rivendell

Aug 12 2013, 12:57pm

Post #19 of 22 (93 views)
Shortcut
Oh, sorry to hear about the bunny [In reply to] Can't Post

That's sad. That's great that you guys took a hike together. It's awesome. And it's awesome she wanted to do something like that--something so outdoorsy. Great family outing.

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And you didn't want to know the end...for how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But then you realize in the end it's just a passing thing, this shadow. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories a lot of chances of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holdin' on to something."

Iolani
Rivendell

Aug 12 2013, 12:59pm

Post #20 of 22 (94 views)
Shortcut
So very very late... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey, ain't that a familiar refrain. But anyway. You know the drill. Busy busy, oh I forgot. Bleh. Here's my miles!! Cool

miles last couple weeks: 30.21
cumulative: 1315.78
goal: There and Back Again Group Challenge!

Keep up the awesome work, people!

Aw man, I'm so flippin' excited about the next movie. WHOO!Laugh

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 12 2013, 2:32pm

Post #21 of 22 (93 views)
Shortcut
"Flippin'" Yeah!! Me Too :D [In reply to] Can't Post

And it's NEVER too late to show up at a party ;)

Have a great week!

5th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013
1st draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Iolani
Rivendell

Aug 12 2013, 4:45pm

Post #22 of 22 (145 views)
Shortcut
OH!! [In reply to] Can't Post

The Party! I can't tell you how MUCH I'm hoping I'll be able to go! Especially in costume. But we'll see what the Lord provides. (I'm over here praying and crossing my fingers saying "pretty please" as I keep working hard)!Wink

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.