Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The SLIGHTLY Extended Edition
First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

Noria
Gondor

Aug 3 2013, 12:22pm

Post #326 of 371 (13022 views)
Shortcut
Commentaries [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoy director/writer commentaries so I'm content to have just that on on the AUJ EE. If I really like a movie, I'l listen to the director's commentary afterwards and if I really, really like a movie I might watch it again after that.

The director/writer commentaries for LotR were very good, IMO, very interesting. I listen to them pretty well every time I watch the movies as well as watching the documentaries. In fact those documentaries helped get me through a bad time some years back when I needed distraction but was incapable of doing much.

For me the actor commentaries on LotR were fun, mostly because a number of the actors were witty and interesting. That's not always the case. But I've only listened to them a couple of times so I won't miss them.

I don't think that I ever got through all of the other LotR commentaries.

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 3 2013, 3:11pm

Post #327 of 371 (12999 views)
Shortcut
Cool [In reply to] Can't Post

That's one way to use what's given to ya. In that instance you're basically treating them as a seperate deal.

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 3 2013, 3:12pm

Post #328 of 371 (13008 views)
Shortcut
Same here [In reply to] Can't Post

That's why I can't watch and listen. I want to see the movie not here them talk about it while I watch.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Aug 3 2013, 5:16pm

Post #329 of 371 (12973 views)
Shortcut
I really enjoy them [In reply to] Can't Post

I am interested in the different perspectives. I do watch the film separately without but I love listening to the different perspectives of the actors on a scene, what was going through their minds, how they had to prepare, how they saw the other actors in their roles etc. The commentaries for me aren't about the movie as they are about the way it's made. I can see though where it would bother you if you were not that interested and wanted to just see the movie.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 3 2013, 5:38pm

Post #330 of 371 (12953 views)
Shortcut
That makes sense [In reply to] Can't Post

I got ya. I do find the process interesting but instead of it being while the movie is playing I prefer it separately. I can see where in the process if watching the movie it would be cool to hear how they felt doing that scene.

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 3 2013, 6:10pm

Post #331 of 371 (12947 views)
Shortcut
I like the crafting perspective too H-S [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I am interested in the different perspectives. I do watch the film separately without but I love listening to the different perspectives of the actors on a scene, what was going through their minds, how they had to prepare, how they saw the other actors in their roles etc. The commentaries for me aren't about the movie as they are about the way it's made. I can see though where it would bother you if you were not that interested and wanted to just see the movie.

But I have to have really seen the film quite a few times and 'gotten' all the major plot bits and such that I wanted to internalize before I can commit to a commentary. But then - for the reason you say - I really enjoy it. So its on two levels, so to speak. I do like all of the LOTR tracks for that reason, depending on what mood and what level of detail I want to hear about.

Because of the number of views beforehand though, for me its only feasible for something I have a real commitment to.

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

nuck
Rivendell

Aug 3 2013, 7:10pm

Post #332 of 371 (12922 views)
Shortcut
All the important bit and much that aren't:) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
AUJ really already is an extended version. Some of the scenes really felt like they would have been chopped if the films had only been in two-parts, and that's because some of them *would* have been cut, of course! Really there isn't much more that we can expect from film 1, all the important bits are in there along with much more. They don't need to drag it out unnecessarily, which is why I actually think that less will be more, in this case.

They jammed so much action into AUJ compared to FOTR I can't see the space for much more either. The right 13 minutes could help it though. I think their scene selection for the final cut was way too CGI centric (and they took criticism for this) so it makes sense that what they add would not be more of the same. Maybe they put in the classic first meeting of the individual dwarves at Bilbos door. Loved it in the book, but the movie kind of lost the first big smile of the story, and traded it for an extended play dwarven durge. Frown I am buying it no matter what, but one can hope.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Aug 3 2013, 8:38pm

Post #333 of 371 (12914 views)
Shortcut
Oh i'm the same way [In reply to] Can't Post

I will view the movie several times and then some before I do the commentary track. I like to kind of take it all in, look at all the scenes etc. then listen to the commentary. As you said it depends on what I'm in the mood for really. If I want to watch the artistic/production details I like the commentary. If I just want entertainment and to enjoy the story I watch the movie. But yeah I don't watch the commentary track when I want to just watch the movie that would be a total waste.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Aug 4 2013, 7:49am

Post #334 of 371 (12875 views)
Shortcut
Here is the problem. . . aside from a little more blue and blast to Gandalf's pinecone magic, a nod to The Balrog's role in the ruin of featured Moria, [In reply to] Can't Post

and maybe a nod to Glorfindel rather than Lindir, The Hobbit wasn't missing very much of anything, at least where the chapters covered were concerned. The problem was the severly altered and often superflous addenda.

Leave Azog dead at Azanulbizar, replace him with Bolg, have Radagast clean his face, drop the orc chase, downsize The Stone Giants, and get the details right about Angmar (and the hierarchy of The White Council), and you would have a film I would rave about endlessly, and which I might well call a more accurately faithful representation of the first third of The Hobbit than some of the Rings films were of their subject matter.

In Reply To
IMO AUJ is badly lacking film - I had hoped close to an extra half-hour of footage might provide what was not present in the TE - does this does not seem long enough do so.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

elostirion74
Rohan

Aug 4 2013, 2:34pm

Post #335 of 371 (12843 views)
Shortcut
This looks very promising! [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't really expect a lot of additional scenes or extended scenes, given the long run-time of the theatrical edit of AUJ.

The extra-material looks very promising, right up there with the extended editions of the LoTR films. I suspect and hope that they are not as tightly scripted and edited as the video-logs, which really weren't my cup of tea, just a form of light entertainment giving very small snippets of information from lots of different sources. I guess that was probably the purpose anyway, not to reveal too much. From the list of extra material I see here it looks like we're in for in-depth material in generous rations; it's very rare to see that now, seeing how little extra material there usually is on most dvds.

tripecac
Rivendell

Aug 5 2013, 2:46am

Post #336 of 371 (12812 views)
Shortcut
Interesting omission in TORN's "in-depth" breakdown of the EE! [In reply to] Can't Post

Note that TORN's "in-depth" breakdown of the extended edition doesn't even include mention of the 13 additional minutes of footage!

http://www.theonering.net/...the-auj-ee-contents/

Funny how those 13 minutes are so easy to overlook!

(This post was edited by tripecac on Aug 5 2013, 2:51am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 6 2013, 10:51am

Post #337 of 371 (12711 views)
Shortcut
I thought it would be fun to ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Make a word cloud out of the 335 replies this thread has received, to see if anything interesting came up. If you're interested click here. It's the top 100 words which appear 20 or more times in this thread. Two things I found interesting:

1) LOTR came up 146 times - showing how we're comparing The Hobbit trilogy with its predecessor
2) Disappointed came up more than any other "positive" remark.

Cool

hutch
Rohan

Aug 6 2013, 2:30pm

Post #338 of 371 (12700 views)
Shortcut
no over-reaction [In reply to] Can't Post

Doesn't seem like each department is getting either their own commentary or appendix. That's a huge disappointment for me-especially glossing over Howard Shore's contribution. There is def. big changes in the product and to quote Gandalf "...not entirely for the better."

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken.

(This post was edited by hutch on Aug 6 2013, 2:35pm)

hutch
Rohan

Aug 6 2013, 2:37pm

Post #339 of 371 (12668 views)
Shortcut
They did do that to FOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

which I was always a little sad about since I liked Gandalf and Frodo's exchange more than Bilbo's narration.

hutch
Rohan

Aug 6 2013, 2:40pm

Post #340 of 371 (12678 views)
Shortcut
Commentary. [In reply to] Can't Post

Singular.

bborchar
Rohan

Aug 6 2013, 2:42pm

Post #341 of 371 (12673 views)
Shortcut
Commentary [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Singular.

And we need more than one?

The Doctor: ... No! No! Nonononononono, it's... not like that. That's not what I'm like!
Amy: Then what are you like?
The Doctor: I dunno, Gandalf. Like a space Gandalf. Or that little green guy in Star Wars...

hutch
Rohan

Aug 6 2013, 2:43pm

Post #342 of 371 (12672 views)
Shortcut
The EE versions [In reply to] Can't Post

are kinda sorta supposed to make much more satisfying changes to the viewing experiences. The idea that they
re just being nice by adding a few pointless scenes is a bit odd.

hutch
Rohan

Aug 6 2013, 2:44pm

Post #343 of 371 (12680 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ and Philipa have done a good deal of talking already. I want more representation from Howard Shore. Actors want to hear the actors talk. Production people. Post production people, etc. Different people have different focal points for these films. LOTR understood that. Apparently TH crew does not. I feel like PJ and PB are just gonna talk about what a good decision it was to "connect" the 2 trilogies by shoe-horning as much music and gags from the original trilogy into the present one. The next commentaries will be all about how "more feminine energy was needed", so congrats to us for Tauriel. I can see it a mile away. I still love PJ, I just think he made some poor decision this time around. As great as I think he is and however hard I think he has worked I still won't pander.

(This post was edited by hutch on Aug 6 2013, 2:48pm)

bborchar
Rohan

Aug 6 2013, 2:50pm

Post #344 of 371 (12664 views)
Shortcut
Wow... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I didn't know you already had listened to it. But you must have, since you know what will be said during a 2+ hour commentary.

I don't like jumping to conclusions, myself. And I've listened to the LotR commentary precisely once, so I don't see the point of a ton of different commentaries when people usually only listen to them once or twice.

The Doctor: ... No! No! Nonononononono, it's... not like that. That's not what I'm like!
The Doctor: I dunno, Gandalf. Like a space Gandalf. Or that little green guy in Star Wars...

hutch
Rohan

Aug 6 2013, 2:55pm

Post #345 of 371 (12661 views)
Shortcut
no. [In reply to] Can't Post

legitimate concerns exist. But ultimately we will just have to put up with because WB will do what they want....unless they 180 like Microsoft did on their new gaming system...

hutch
Rohan

Aug 6 2013, 2:57pm

Post #346 of 371 (12669 views)
Shortcut
that's such specious reasoning [In reply to] Can't Post

People can make pretty good prejudgments. Like when I said way back it was a little odd for 2 films to be shooting as much as 3 and VOILA! 3 film announcement. Did I know for sure? No. But it seemed obvious. And what will you say if we are correct after you've seen the finished product?

hutch
Rohan

Aug 6 2013, 2:59pm

Post #347 of 371 (12660 views)
Shortcut
You may not see the point [In reply to] Can't Post

But as I've said, different people have different reasons for tuning in. People that work in different parts of the industry have different interests i.e. production, post production, film scoring, writing, adaptation, stunts, acting, etc. Your opinion (nor mine) of how many commentaries is necessary is the center of the universe.

bborchar
Rohan

Aug 6 2013, 3:12pm

Post #348 of 371 (12664 views)
Shortcut
I will say... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that you made an assumption based on your own opinion of Peter Jackson...which is what you just did.

This argument is getting old, though. Jumping to conclusions and hating something before you've even seen it is ridiculous. That's my point, and has been all along. And you know what? You are completely free to not buy it. But I will buy it and I'll be happy with it, because I want to own the extended edition, and I had planned on it before anything was ever announced about it.

And I'll keep in mind that it's just a movie.

hutch
Rohan

Aug 6 2013, 3:18pm

Post #349 of 371 (12657 views)
Shortcut
Total bummer, huh? [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember Shore had all sorts of featurettes and extra dvd dedicated just to him and the music process. His absence so far I think speaks volumes alone to the differences between LOTR and TH. Sad but true.

hutch
Rohan

Aug 6 2013, 3:26pm

Post #350 of 371 (12660 views)
Shortcut
I was hoping the EE versions [In reply to] Can't Post

would replace the old music with the new. That is one thing I thought would get "fixed".

First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.