Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
"Your Middle-earth name" game

noWizardme
Grey Havens

Aug 3 2013, 10:00am

Views: 729
Shortcut
"Your Middle-earth name" game Can't Post

I expect people are familiar with those word games which generate "your name" for a particular fantasy/sci-fi world? Examples are probably the easier way to explain:

Generate Your Starship Enterprise name from the colour of your current underwear, and the last thing you ate (Ensign Aubergene Granola reporting for duty, sir!)

Generate your Star Wars name from a car you have driven and a medicine you have taken (Jedi Knight Zetec Loratidine, at your service).

Does anyone know if Middle-earth ones that work at all (enough to be entertaining?)

I'd expect it to be harder to sound feasible, since Tolkien mostly made his character names out of languages he'd invented, or borrowed them from mythology he'd read. this as opposed to choosing names with a certain sound (or whatever Rodenberry, Lucas et al did!)

But I bet people have had a try!

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimė I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

Subject User Time
"Your Middle-earth name" game noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Aug 3 2013, 10:00am
    I suspect it'd be easier to create a Hobbit name Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Aug 3 2013, 10:09pm
        Very good, Vida! noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Aug 4 2013, 7:17am
        Unlucky for those sat next to a spider plant! DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Aug 4 2013, 10:23am
        "Where you last bought tea or coffee' " might work, says Tesco Starbuck"// noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Aug 4 2013, 1:06pm
        Luella Crabapple Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Aug 4 2013, 2:44pm
            What a lovely name Luella is. Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Aug 5 2013, 2:11am
                I have found quite a few Luellas in that family line Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Aug 5 2013, 2:19am
        Here Goes IdrilofGondolin Send a private message to IdrilofGondolin Aug 4 2013, 5:46pm
        Drusilla Philodendron dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Aug 5 2013, 2:03am
            actually, hostas were closer to me than the crabapple Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Aug 5 2013, 2:17am
                "Anise"! dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Aug 5 2013, 3:26am
        Louisa Dianella Kelvarhin Send a private message to Kelvarhin Aug 5 2013, 2:26am
        Nearest...hmm... Eowyn of Penns Woods Send a private message to Eowyn of Penns Woods Aug 5 2013, 4:46am
        Not so sure about easy..... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Aug 5 2013, 7:54am
            I chose from names of my great-great-grandmas instead. More hobbity.// Eowyn of Penns Woods Send a private message to Eowyn of Penns Woods Aug 6 2013, 5:05pm
        There seems to be a thriving dwarf community in a Japanese kitchen - Nori, Dashi, and Sushi, for example! // noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Aug 5 2013, 2:23pm
        Whoa... my family has scary names. grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Aug 6 2013, 2:31pm
        Hobbit name Na Vedui Send a private message to Na Vedui Aug 6 2013, 8:10pm
        I don't like this game! angelclaw Send a private message to angelclaw Aug 7 2013, 3:57am
    This looks like fun... Lothwen Send a private message to Lothwen Aug 4 2013, 12:57pm
    Felicitations The Grey Elf Send a private message to The Grey Elf Aug 5 2013, 1:33pm
    I don't know LordotRings93 Send a private message to LordotRings93 Aug 6 2013, 1:52pm
    There is an actual generator... Donry Send a private message to Donry Aug 7 2013, 1:11am
    name generator Cirashala Send a private message to Cirashala Aug 7 2013, 7:17am
        Dwarven name angelclaw Send a private message to angelclaw Aug 8 2013, 2:18am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.