Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Tolkien Illustrated: Fan Art IIII--Anime Style

Sandicomm
Bree

Mar 2 2007, 3:17am

Views: 355
Shortcut
Tolkien Illustrated: Fan Art IIII--Anime Style Can't Post

Here's the subject I've been waiting for all week: anime/manga style LOTR fan art. I have been an anime fan for quite some time (not as much as I used to, though--my taste has become more discerning).

I first discovered anime/manga style LOTR fan art when my sister and I went to our first Otakon. Otakon is the largest anime convention oh the East Coast and is held every year in Baltimore. We were at a booth, flipping through a pile of doujinshi and came across one that had a beautiful cover with Legolas and Aragorn on it. When we went to pay for it, the cashier asked if he could see some ID. Ooops! We had accidentally found the yaoi bin! Ever since then, though, I was intrigued at the possibility of anime/manga style LOTR fan art.

So my question for today is, what affect is achieved when you combine a piece of literature so steeped in Northwestern culture with a completely Southeastern art form? Do the artists intend to mix East and West, or are they just lazy (like me) and draw in anime/manga style because that's the only style they know?

Sparrow

Jennifer Kim (Incidentally, I love the way she draws hands. And her Frodo is pretty cute, too.)

Darkmage (Darkmage's style is very interesting to me, because it combines the style of CLAMP--the most famous doujinshi circle in the world and the most powerful voice in manga--with that of more traditional 70s-style romance manga.)

Solarfall

Angel Rogue

Blue Taco

Jamberry

Wyna Hiros (Now, I like this picture. A lot. But you know you've got problems when Gollum is supposed to look hot. Shocked)

And, oh yeah, me. (And this Galadriel drawing bares no resemblance in any shape or form to any other anime. At all. Really. I did this drawing two years ago, I promise you I've improved vastly.)

Subject User Time
Tolkien Illustrated: Fan Art IIII--Anime Style Sandicomm Send a private message to Sandicomm Mar 2 2007, 3:17am
    I love Frodo Speed Racer! drogo Send a private message to drogo Mar 2 2007, 4:58am
    Lots to reply to here Beren IV Send a private message to Beren IV Mar 2 2007, 6:03am
    fantastic journey through a parallel universe Daughter of Nienna Send a private message to Daughter of Nienna Mar 2 2007, 8:48am
        Ooops! Sandicomm Send a private message to Sandicomm Mar 2 2007, 4:00pm
            It never occurred to me that that was Gollum Morwen Send a private message to Morwen Mar 2 2007, 4:33pm
                Which makes sense, since Sam is a Harfoot. Curious Send a private message to Curious Mar 2 2007, 5:29pm
            Are you sure FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Mar 2 2007, 5:50pm
                A hot Frodo? White Gull Send a private message to White Gull Mar 2 2007, 7:23pm
                Last time I checked, Sandicomm Send a private message to Sandicomm Mar 2 2007, 11:24pm
            A question White Gull Send a private message to White Gull Mar 2 2007, 7:21pm
    Southeastern? Anime is a broad term for any Japanese animation. Curious Send a private message to Curious Mar 2 2007, 6:40pm
    I've never been a fan of anime White Gull Send a private message to White Gull Mar 2 2007, 7:27pm
    Darkmage's "Summer Day" is one of the best. Ever. dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Mar 2 2007, 8:20pm
    Hobbit Barbershop Finding Frodo Send a private message to Finding Frodo Mar 3 2007, 3:16am
    More on anime Sandicomm Send a private message to Sandicomm Mar 3 2007, 3:42am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.