Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The SLIGHTLY Extended Edition
First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 2 2013, 7:31pm

Post #301 of 371 (11249 views)
Shortcut
:-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Back @ ya Cool

That would be a nice surprise. I kept waiting and waiting for an announcement. I was hoping there would be one at comic-con but when there wasn't I a bit bummed. So getting the news now makes up for it and the images of the gift set make it even better. It being not that far off gives me something to look forward to.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 2 2013, 7:35pm

Post #302 of 371 (11258 views)
Shortcut
While I was digging through the archives ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I realised that the theatrical edition DVDs for the LOTR trilogy came out in August. I had completely forgotten about that. Can you imagine what that would've been like this time around? Eru knows what kind of mess we'd all be in. Wink

The countdown begins!

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 2 2013, 7:46pm

Post #303 of 371 (11214 views)
Shortcut
Wow! Was it that late?!? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I realised that the theatrical edition DVDs for the LOTR trilogy came out in August. I had completely forgotten about that. Can you imagine what that would've been like this time around? Eru knows what kind of mess we'd all be in. Wink

The countdown begins!

Haha, as you say Daniel, what a mess it could be! And with these wonky release agreements it probably would have been even later in other places, like NZ and AU to name two.

I do think I remember seeing FOTR I *believe* as late as April (maybe even May (?) in the morning matinee, second run theater at the Mall, I can remember wearing shorts)... I crammed a lot of views towards the end of the run in as I had gotten a late start on seeing it the first time.

So those TEs and EEs were really released rather on top of each other (funny how I don't remember it!). I suppose in these days the idea is to get it out there before the piracy kicks in too badly (as far as the TE goes.)

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Shagrat
Gondor

Aug 2 2013, 8:02pm

Post #304 of 371 (11225 views)
Shortcut
You appear to be correct [In reply to] Can't Post

The Amazon.fr listing seems to confirm that the High Fells scene is the DoS preview featured on the discs:

http://www.amazon.fr/The-Hobbit-An-Unexpected-Journey-3D-Blu-ray/dp/B00E9CWSIM

This also lists the running time as 195 minutes. Has to be a mistake.

(This post was edited by Shagrat on Aug 2 2013, 8:04pm)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Aug 2 2013, 8:37pm

Post #305 of 371 (11194 views)
Shortcut
There would have been a total meltdown [In reply to] Can't Post

complete and total. Good reminder.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 2 2013, 8:46pm

Post #306 of 371 (11223 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Permutations of perturbation" just made my day. Thanks, Darkstone. LaughHeart

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dûm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Aug 2 2013, 8:51pm

Post #307 of 371 (11207 views)
Shortcut
well since [In reply to] Can't Post

i am not overtly fond of most of auj, WB etc...i dont have my hopes up, and feel in the mood for cheering up and be happy about it...

My main interest in the EE is on fixing one of aujs major flaws, IE sidetracking the hobbit himself to a secondary character role after the Trolls, and some more dwarvish and elvish character development.... If these 12 minutes turn out be just about the main character, mr baggins and then we had the other stuff, i would be more satisfied and might enjoy the film a little more...

But i dont expect them to be just about Bilbo...do you?

So, the minute count does count, for me, since i feel the film is seriously lacking in some regards and 25 minutes gave me some more hope that some flaws would be addressed and the characters would have more room and time to breathe and be better developed...

If we had a list of the new scenes....that would help...

Besides, having a Pro Jackson and the Evil Coven stance is not my style , you know that TongueEvil

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

(This post was edited by Lusitano on Aug 2 2013, 8:52pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 2 2013, 9:18pm

Post #308 of 371 (11170 views)
Shortcut
np [In reply to] Can't Post

HeartGlad to put a smile on your face!Smile

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 2 2013, 9:26pm

Post #309 of 371 (11198 views)
Shortcut
No Viggo. [In reply to] Can't Post

Viggo said he preferred that the LOTR films speak for themselves.

As for other audio commentaries:

http://www.avclub.com/...racks-of-the-damned/

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 2 2013, 9:57pm

Post #310 of 371 (11157 views)
Shortcut
12 minutes? Don't forget that extra one! [In reply to] Can't Post

It might make all the difference, Lusitano. Wink

Shagrat did a splendid job here, of guesstimating known extended scenes and their length. They seem to be all the major changes, but I'm sure there will be 30 seconds here and there.

At least there are >6 hours of film left to go. If one doesn't like 1/3 of the trilogy, then maybe the other 2/3 will make up for it. Who knows!

Smile

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 2 2013, 10:04pm

Post #311 of 371 (11146 views)
Shortcut
Expect the new scenes to be all about Bilbo? [In reply to] Can't Post

No, I don't. Some of them will, like the scene with Elrond that they've shown us.

But then, I don't accept that Bilbo is a secondary character so for me there's nothing to 'fix'. In the film I saw, Bilbo was central right through. So I'm just happy to have extra scenes, and right now I don't think I really want a list of them - though I have read the outline in the Empire article. I just want them to be a surprise, and if they show any more 'sneak peeks' I hope I'll be strong enough not to look.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Aug 2 2013, 10:10pm

Post #312 of 371 (11144 views)
Shortcut
same here [In reply to] Can't Post

I felt AUJ was entirely Bilbo centric. I never felt like he was second fiddle at all.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Starling
Half-elven

Aug 2 2013, 10:11pm

Post #313 of 371 (11131 views)
Shortcut
I really don't like commentaries [In reply to] Can't Post

and I never listen to them. I don't find them at all interesting, and for me it is like sitting in a movie and having an annoying person sitting beside me and talking through the whole film.
Although some of the commentaries on the link you posted look like real treats.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 2 2013, 10:28pm

Post #314 of 371 (11136 views)
Shortcut
Not all commentaries are created equal. [In reply to] Can't Post

It really depends on the people whether the commentary is fun, like hanging out with friends who know all the inside stuff about the thing you're watching, or boring and annoying like a technical lecture on watching paint dry. Commentaries on re-releases that are filmed long after the original filming tend to be fairly uninteresting, as everyone has forgotten most of the details and they can't remember why "X" was done, or why "Y" did that other thing, or even who guest star "Z" was. And some directors go on and on and on about technical issues with camera lenses and filters and use jargon that only camera buffs know about or are interested in. Cast commentaries depend a great deal on the chemistry of the group. Some just spend the whole time goofing off with each other and don't pay much attention to things onscreen. Others have nothing to say. But some tell great stories and talk about stuff that went on behind the scenes and that can be lots of fun. You just never know until you try them.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dûm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Aug 2 2013, 10:31pm

Post #315 of 371 (11136 views)
Shortcut
DanielLB [In reply to] Can't Post

Bah, but that minute's off the schedule Wink Even the smallest minute can change the course of a film!

Well if the extended edition were fat and juicy enough, one could raise one's hopes to celestial levels, as far as the underworld of purist edits go Angelic

If that list is accurate, and i agree it seems to be, then for me its a bit disappointing. I guess hoping for a much more filled with bilbo rivendell, is just a fools hope. One or two scenes most likely. I dont suppose the elves making fun of the dwarves beards is a possibility...unless thats what sets the dwarves off into the nastiness jackson mentioned....

If the other two thirds were as good as the misty mountains scene, then yes, they might please me more. But someone else directed that section so...Tongue

I see your point dormhouse. But i feel it needs to be fixed.

For me, post trolls, i remember some warg chases, a lot of yelling, some elves and dwarves being nasty and making fun of each other, thorin yet again asserting the importance of his legacy, elrond being his grumpy self, a joke between balin and bilbo, azog being a bad boy, the entire white council section and then Bilbo ressurfaces from the mist of the valley with a yearning and an expression of affection, revealing some unseen -by us- connection between him and the elves down below...

For me, he took the role of a secondary character until the riddles...

So i was hoping that would be fixed!

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Aug 2 2013, 10:39pm

Post #316 of 371 (11129 views)
Shortcut
This is very true [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not real fond of the commentaries on the older films (like This is Spinal Tap) etc. It does very much depend on the chemistry and I agree it can be totally boring. It tends to be interesting when they talk and intersperse comments about the scene or things they were observing etc. versus a lot of technical stuff.

I really felt though The Hobbit needed a cast track. Maybe it just didn't work out.

One thing I had not considered and just thought of a few minutes ago is because of the scaling involved so much of the filming had to be done slave motion with the actors on different sets being filmed at the same time. Maybe that made commentary more difficult because really they were not talking with each other in the scene but to a tennis ball. I don't know. That may have been some of it.

Starling
Half-elven

Aug 2 2013, 11:29pm

Post #317 of 371 (11129 views)
Shortcut
That is certainly true [In reply to] Can't Post

I just don't like commentaries full stop, because I don't like people talking over movies. So for me, it really makes little difference how good the commentary is.

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 2 2013, 11:41pm

Post #318 of 371 (11110 views)
Shortcut
Commentaries [In reply to] Can't Post

I never use them myself for the same reason. I want to hear the movie not someone talking about while it plays. Now, give me those people talking about it in a seperate interview and we're golden.

Starling
Half-elven

Aug 2 2013, 11:48pm

Post #319 of 371 (11119 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

Who's bringing the popcorn? Cool

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 3 2013, 12:46am

Post #320 of 371 (11098 views)
Shortcut
I can. [In reply to] Can't Post

Lets do this!! Cool

Starling
Half-elven

Aug 3 2013, 1:08am

Post #321 of 371 (11115 views)
Shortcut
Okay [In reply to] Can't Post

Just the small matter of plane tickets to arrange...

angelclaw
Bree

Aug 3 2013, 2:43am

Post #322 of 371 (11087 views)
Shortcut
The best commentary ever [In reply to] Can't Post

Was the in-character commentary on This is Spinal Tap, IMO. I would love an in-character commentary on AUJ or any of its successors, but sadly I doubt that will ever happen. Unsure

Now that I've thought about it more, I believe most of the cast was so busy during the time between the release of the TE and the EE that perhaps it just wasn't feasible to have a cast commentary, and that I can kind of understand, although I'm still disappointed. I just hope someday, or at least on the next two films, we'll get a cast commentary as I usually find those the most entertaining - especially with a great ensemble cast like this that obviously has some great chemistry!

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 3 2013, 4:57am

Post #323 of 371 (11045 views)
Shortcut
Maybe...... [In reply to] Can't Post

Ole William Shatner can find me a good deal. Lol

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 3 2013, 9:30am

Post #324 of 371 (11014 views)
Shortcut
I "listen" to them [In reply to] Can't Post

while I do cross stitch. I can't really watch tv, too focused on the cross stitch. So I listen to the commentaries, sometime looking up, seeing what they are talking about, and than back to my stitching.

So to me it is more a seperate interview, which happens to have moving images in it Wink.

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 3 2013, 10:30am

Post #325 of 371 (10995 views)
Shortcut
Same here... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've tried to listen to them, but I always end up wishing they would stop talking so I can enjoy the film. I really enjoy the documentary sections but that's different - if I'm watching the film itself I want the film, not the chatter.

First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.