Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Some ramblings after just finishing my re-read of LotR

cats16
Tol Eressea

Aug 2 2013, 5:17am

Views: 510
Shortcut
Some ramblings after just finishing my re-read of LotR Can't Post

I just finished about ten minutes ago. Thought there would be no better place than here to let it settle.

It had been a few years since reading it, so this has been a very refreshing experience for me in terms of the smaller details that the films do not address or hint at (the films being my primary medium for a few years).

I really don't know what to say. Call it a cliché, or call it a cliché for calling it a cliché, I'm speechless. It's a sort of quiet sobbing that I'm still having, even now. To clarify, I have read LotR before, but for some reason it has so much more behind it than the last time. There were so many mixed emotions that came up as I read Sam's final line. I don't have it in me to start on the Appendices tonight, but that's what tomorrow is for. It's so strange to feel like I can't come up with the right descriptors. My mind seems too overwhelmed to formalize these thoughts. I will say, I feel at peace, albeit with a slight bitterness that brings on some tears.

I don't appear to be rambling as much as I figured I would, so I suppose I spared you of some of that. Smile

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts, though, on how you feel/felt during these first few minutes I'm currently at after completing the trilogy (doesn't have to be the most recent time). What do you remember about your thoughts as you put down the book after Sam finishes the tale? Or is articulating it as hard for you as it is for me?

Also, I've been trying to decide on how often I'll read the books, whether it be a yearly reading (like many here, I'm sure) or every 2, 3, 4, etc. I never have seemed to make an established system to adhere to. I am curious to hear your approach. My main thought is that I want them to feel as fresh as possible, without feeling like they're losing their mythical quality. (My gut still says do a yearly reading, assuming real life doesn't prevent it for some unforeseeable reason. *fingers crossed* of course).

So come ramble on here with me about anything that comes to mind. I"m looking forward to read all of your own experiences tomorrow, after some rest. End of the week+finishing LotR= good, peaceful night's sleep. Here's to a great read, and all of the subsequent times yet to come!

Smile

(This post was edited by cats16 on Aug 2 2013, 5:20am)

Subject User Time
Some ramblings after just finishing my re-read of LotR cats16 Send a private message to cats16 Aug 2 2013, 5:17am
    More ramblings - geordie Send a private message to geordie Aug 2 2013, 12:29pm
        I never thought of... cats16 Send a private message to cats16 Aug 3 2013, 4:08pm
    Here id my take... Lightfoot Send a private message to Lightfoot Aug 2 2013, 12:40pm
    I am torn in two FantasyFan Send a private message to FantasyFan Aug 2 2013, 1:27pm
        I react very much the same. Ethel Duath Send a private message to Ethel Duath Aug 2 2013, 3:54pm
        enlighten me... Nuradar Send a private message to Nuradar Aug 2 2013, 4:16pm
            This can be a big old discussion all in itself! Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Aug 2 2013, 5:27pm
                writings from the past: "A Sad Ending" Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Aug 2 2013, 5:51pm
                    I'm starting to "get it" Nuradar Send a private message to Nuradar Aug 2 2013, 6:55pm
                    Great, Magpie Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Aug 3 2013, 2:39pm
                    Lovely analysis, Magpie. cats16 Send a private message to cats16 Aug 3 2013, 5:41pm
                    Very well said Magpie Ziggy Stardust Send a private message to Ziggy Stardust Aug 3 2013, 6:11pm
                    Magpie says it very well; my additions FantasyFan Send a private message to FantasyFan Aug 3 2013, 11:15pm
                Excellent post Magpie SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Aug 3 2013, 2:25pm
        Great thoughts on Frodo and Sam cats16 Send a private message to cats16 Aug 3 2013, 4:23pm
    I tend to read every 4 or 5 years NottaSackville Send a private message to NottaSackville Aug 2 2013, 4:29pm
        Likewise. Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Aug 2 2013, 11:05pm
        Love your perspective on the movies cats16 Send a private message to cats16 Aug 3 2013, 5:31pm
    I read it... Soundchaser Send a private message to Soundchaser Aug 2 2013, 7:28pm
        Same here Ziggy Stardust Send a private message to Ziggy Stardust Aug 3 2013, 12:53am
    I used to read them every year Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Aug 3 2013, 7:40pm
        I think you've said my number one concern cats16 Send a private message to cats16 Aug 3 2013, 10:16pm
    {{{cats16}}} grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Aug 4 2013, 4:09am
        Thank you so much, gramma! cats16 Send a private message to cats16 Aug 4 2013, 4:45am
    My rereading experience Fredeghar Wayfarer Send a private message to Fredeghar Wayfarer Aug 6 2013, 6:11pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.