Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The SLIGHTLY Extended Edition
First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Aug 1 2013, 6:13pm

Post #226 of 371 (11439 views)
Shortcut
I was responding to the notion that there should just be one edition. [In reply to] Can't Post

If there would be just one edition, containing the SEE + theatrical cut + all the extras, it probably would not be cheap. What would you say to people that just want the theatrical cut without the extras (and don't download movies), tough luck?

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Aug 1 2013, 6:15pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 1 2013, 6:27pm

Post #227 of 371 (11420 views)
Shortcut
I hate DLC. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a great way to put lots of little tracking programs on your hard drive that end up slowing things down worse than deliberate malware.

Besides, I want something that I can hold in my hand, and display on my shelves.

Yeah, I'm a 20th century guy in a 21st century world.

And the more editions the better. It's all about choices!

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Aug 1 2013, 6:30pm)

Escapist
Gondor

Aug 1 2013, 6:39pm

Post #228 of 371 (11416 views)
Shortcut
I think that there is a chance [In reply to] Can't Post

that this is related to a possible perception that it is important to be more tight-lipped and careful with unfinished and alternate versions of things - but I can only make a conjecture on this.

Buchanicus
Lorien

Aug 1 2013, 6:42pm

Post #229 of 371 (11390 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Besides, I want something that I can hold in my hand, and display on my shelves.

And the more editions the better. It's all about choices!

TORn member formally known as ryan1976.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 1 2013, 7:56pm

Post #230 of 371 (11352 views)
Shortcut
Unless they've completely changed their approach... [In reply to] Can't Post

None of the bonus features were duplicated between the LOTR TEs and EEs.

The vlogs were on the special features of the TE, so I do not expect to see them on the EE, which will have the documentary features instead. Will some of the same things be covered in both? Very possibly, since they're covering the same shoot, but I expect the EE features to show much more than we got to see in the vlogs.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Aug 1 2013, 8:00pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 1 2013, 8:01pm

Post #231 of 371 (11345 views)
Shortcut
I'm with both of you! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

*****And the more editions the better. It's all about choices!****

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to here from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Veridandir
Rivendell

Aug 1 2013, 8:30pm

Post #232 of 371 (11376 views)
Shortcut
What were you expecting [In reply to] Can't Post

from an already 170 minute film, the first part of three based on a 300 page kids book?

And why don't we all admit that EE we buy mostly for the extras.

(This post was edited by Altaira on Aug 2 2013, 2:44pm)

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Aug 1 2013, 8:44pm

Post #233 of 371 (11384 views)
Shortcut
Funny, [In reply to] Can't Post

Funny, my main interest has always been the actual FILM, not the extras. Thats what people got excited about at the 2004 EEdition event and why people make such a fuss about it. 40 minutes, 50 minutes of new footage is something amazing, its a different experience, its a rediscovery.

Many people like to watch a directors cut but have no interets in sitting through hours of actors, directors and crew talking about how they did it and how amazing and life changing it all was. Also, some people feel it removes the magic out of cinema, to lift the veil.

Plenty of great stuff we could have for an extended edition...Dwarf character development, Bilbo character development, his missing of his comfy home, rivendell expansion, shire stuff, and since jackson said 20-25 minutes, in front of an audience of real people and the King of Movie Geeks Harry Aintitcool Knowles, one cant help but be disappointed...

Vous commencez ŕ m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

(This post was edited by Altaira on Aug 2 2013, 2:45pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 1 2013, 9:40pm

Post #234 of 371 (11326 views)
Shortcut
Thread title [In reply to] Can't Post

It did make me laugh. However, I think what we're getting is going to be really nice and should only make an awesome more more so. So I can roll with the 13 mins and what's on the appendices appears to be more of the same great quality we got with the LOTR EE. All in all seems like we're in for a pretty good treat.

One of the covers I've seen is the LOTR EE matching style so as was pointed out by a friend that I think that is inside the Bilbo Coverd box. I hope.

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 1 2013, 9:48pm

Post #235 of 371 (11333 views)
Shortcut
You could maybe try not to be quite so disappointed until.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...you've seen it? Surely it's the content of the additional scenes that matters, not their precise minute count.

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 1 2013, 9:52pm

Post #236 of 371 (11312 views)
Shortcut
Buying both [In reply to] Can't Post

I bought the TE as well and will get the EE. I like having both and when the EE comes out that will be the one I watch when I watch. I don't feel taken advantaged of or anything like that. I wanted both and can afford both so I will get both. If people choose to do something different more power to ya.

I do hope my friend is right with the guess that the LOTR style EE look is inside the case of with Bilbo on it.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Aug 1 2013, 9:58pm

Post #237 of 371 (11319 views)
Shortcut
13 minutes of good content vs 25 minutes of good content [In reply to] Can't Post

What would you take?

Retro315
Rivendell

Aug 1 2013, 10:06pm

Post #238 of 371 (11293 views)
Shortcut
Re: [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm honest-to-god not bothered by a half-sized addition of bonus scenes and what looks to be a virtual continuation of the production of the Trilogy's Appendices.

Thirteen minutes is huge. Half-hour TV shows usually don't actually add up to much more than twenty minutes and that's enough time to tell an entire content-packed episode. From that one extra minute in Rivendell I can tell I'll be satisfied - and from what it looks like, MOST of the bonus scenes will be in Rivendell, Hobbiton and perhaps Goblin-town, with very light alteration to anything else. Which is good because 'Riddles' was already perfect, 'Frying Pan' was already bloated with the addition of Azog (despite otherwise being a fair approximation of 'wolves and orcs' chasing them down the mountain). The march through the Weather Hills was bloated with the addition of wizard-lore, historia and goblins west of the mountains, and the quick search for the right path north of the Fords of Isen was the worst culprit what with an entire wolf-chase sequence.

All I really want is 3 minutes more Shire, a good deal more Rivendell, and maybe another 3 minutes of Goblin-town to flesh them out a bit. Dwarf-personalities I can wait on until the sequels, and 'get to know them' the same time Bilbo does (painful as the wait is).

As for versions, it is annoying to see another studio marketing just blow it as far as matching what was the perfect SEE sets for the Trilogy (complete with Alan Lee sketches on the interiors!). It feels like a missed opportunity and an artistic downgrade. HOWEVER it doesn't bother me much either.

I haven't upgraded to Blu-Ray yet. It'll be some time before I can, and I suspect rather than gleefully getting each release each year when they came out like I did with the Trilogy, I'll be waiting. My brother got himself the goregously packaged "Complete Trilogy Box-Set" on Blu-Ray, which both continues the original box set art design but remixes it a little.

It's my intention not to buy until the ultimate "Six-Film Box Set" Edition is released anyway, and I think we can expect that edition will have cohesive packaging design that'll look lovely on a bookshelf.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Aug 1 2013, 10:35pm

Post #239 of 371 (11323 views)
Shortcut
Saving The Film [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
You could maybe try not to be quite so disappointed until you've seen it? Surely it's the content of the additional scenes that matters, not their precise minute count.

Something I've been meaning to mention is that those who feel the film was missing crucial materials, such as Bilbo falling in love with Rivendell, hung their hopes on 25 minutes of extra footage that could repair a flawed film. Thirteen minutes does not seem to be enough time to fix what is wrong. No matter how good the 13 minutes is, it doesn't make up for what you have to remove, such as the Radagast rabbit chase and much of Goblin Town (I know - sadly, they'll still be there), to still come up with a 25 minute longer runtime. Historically, the LOTR films did much better with the EEs. For these people, it will probably still be a disappointing film and they know it.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Aug 1 2013, 10:37pm)

Elenorflower
Gondor

Aug 1 2013, 10:43pm

Post #240 of 371 (11289 views)
Shortcut
thats exactly my opinion too [In reply to] Can't Post

if all the things you mentioned had been flagged up as being in the EE I would have been quite ok about it. As you rightly say, the EEs of LOTR are a rediscovery.
The extra stuff on the dvd is just frills, we must have seen some of the PJ commentary before, the important part is the film itself and 13 extra minutes of fluff just doesnt cut it.

(This post was edited by Elenorflower on Aug 1 2013, 10:44pm)

malickfan
Gondor

Aug 1 2013, 10:47pm

Post #241 of 371 (11282 views)
Shortcut
So no 'From Book to script' or documentaries on JRR himself, yet fan fave Azog gets his own?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Me annoyed.Mad I don't want to see half an hour of Boyens rabiting on about the film needing some 'defiler' energy whilst the book's genesis as a kids story is skipped over becuase Jackson is to embarrsed to admit he change it so dramtically.

Oh of course what was I thinking? The Hobbit book and the name JRR Tolkien weren't mentioned in the Appendices!

(Sarcasm aside it does generally seem like this EE is more of a contratual obligation release than something special

The Talking Purse is Awesome, deal with it.

But he isn't quite as aweome as Cirdan.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Aug 1 2013, 10:47pm

Post #242 of 371 (11287 views)
Shortcut
Bill Hunt Of TheDigitalBits.com Comments [In reply to] Can't Post

I had a fairly lengthy exchange with Bill Hunt of TheDigitalBits.com about the not-so-Extended Edition. It looks like he got enough comments from folks like me to bring it out into his blog article for today. What we discussed in emails is essentially covered by his blog comments (link below). He has asked his sources for more direct comment and suggests "visiting Jackson’s Facebook page and (politely!) communicating your feelings there."

Bill Hunt's Blog Article About TH: AUJ EE:
http://www.digitalbits.com/...wo-cents/080113_1345

Peter Jackson's Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/PeterJacksonNZ

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Aug 1 2013, 10:48pm)

malickfan
Gondor

Aug 1 2013, 10:50pm

Post #243 of 371 (11249 views)
Shortcut
Any chance we could see Tom Shippey crop up again? [In reply to] Can't Post

I found his thoughts and views on the previous films to be very interesting, and the man knows Tolkien like no other-it would be great to see him, or perhaps even John D Rateliffe crop up to share some pearls of wisdom in the behind the scenes stuff.

Still got my fingers crossed those 13 minutes include a shot of Dain Ironfoot

tripecac
Rivendell

Aug 1 2013, 11:06pm

Post #244 of 371 (11335 views)
Shortcut
About that 9 hours... [In reply to] Can't Post

According to the latest email from WB, the DoS preview is part of the bonus features.

So it looks like the 9 hours includes:

1) Commentary -- 3 hrs plus credits assuming they talk the whole time
2) New Zealand: Home of Middle Earth -- 6.5 minutes if it's the same one as on the theatrical release
3) Desolation of Smaug Preview -- about an hour if they use the whole thing
4) Appendices

This means 4 of the 9 hours will be the commentary track plus the stuff we've already seen. No new video.

That leaves 5 hours of "new" video.

I put "new" in quotes because I don't know how much of the Appendix material we've already seen. Hopefully there isn't too much overlap with the vlogs and the other promotional featurettes (e.g., the character profiles might be the same ones posted on the "Eiga" site back in May.)

I suspect that very little of the "new" video will actually feel new to us. There were so many vlogs, featurettes, interviews, and behind-the-scenes reels released before and around the time of the first film's release that it seems unlikely there are many "mysteries" left. In other words, I think we've been thoroughly "spoiled" as far as behind-the-scenes material for An Unexpected Journey.

Fortunately, the media avalanche hasn't applied to Desolation of Smaug, at least not yet. There's only been 1 vlog so far (2 if you count the DoS preview), one trailer, and very little else. Hopefully they will hold back more footage this time, so that when we finally get to see the DoS and BoFA extended editions, there will be some surprises left.

But I, for one, doubt that the An Unexpected Journey extended edition will give us much truly "new" material. I feel that this was inevitable given the glut of supplemental footage we've already received.

Will I buy the extended edition? Of course!

Even if there is no completely new bonus material, I'll still buy the extended edition, because:

1) I want subtitles.
2) I want all the material in high def.
3) I want to be able to delete all those the downloaded videos from my PC.
4) My self-made copy of the DoS Preview isn't very good (low-res, has breaks).
5) I love collecting Tolkien-related stuff.
6) I want to support the production of Tolkien-related movies.
7) I want to support the New Zealand film industry.

Hurry up, November!

hobbitylass
Bree

Aug 1 2013, 11:06pm

Post #245 of 371 (11258 views)
Shortcut
I would love that, and also add Corey Olsen to the list [In reply to] Can't Post

Those folks could bring a lot of interesting information to the extras, talking about the various revisions, how Tolkien's thinking about The Hobbit changed as he tried to work it into the larger Middle Earth mythology, that kind of thing.

malickfan
Gondor

Aug 1 2013, 11:13pm

Post #246 of 371 (11241 views)
Shortcut
I haven't read Olsen's book yet... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I hear nothing but good things, from what I gather he explores the Hobbit soley in the light as its publication as a children's story? (A view I generally take when reading The Hobbit anyway)A re-read of my shiny new Annontated Hobbit with his insights would be great.

Wayne G Hammond and Christina Scull would certainly be interesting to hear as. (Though evil as it sounds...I kinda wish we could hear a joint commentary by Christopher Tolkien and Phillpa Boyens-that alone would make me buy the set)Laugh

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Aug 1 2013, 11:16pm

Post #247 of 371 (11248 views)
Shortcut
Agreed with this... [In reply to] Can't Post

IMO AUJ is badly lacking film - I had hoped close to an extra half-hour of footage might provide what was not present in the TE - does this does not seem long enough do so.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Aug 1 2013, 11:18pm

Post #248 of 371 (11246 views)
Shortcut
This seems about on par with the TH thus far... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm just gonna go back to 2001-2004 and experience LotR again, thought preferably without 9/11, the wars in the Middle-east, ETC.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

FrogmortonJustice65
Lorien

Post #249 of 371 (11249 views)
Shortcut
fluff? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
if all the things you mentioned had been flagged up as being in the EE I would have been quite ok about it. As you rightly say, the EEs of LOTR are a rediscovery.
The extra stuff on the dvd is just frills, we must have seen some of the PJ commentary before, the important part is the film itself and 13 extra minutes of fluff just doesnt cut it.

"Fluff"? Seriously? You haven't even seen the 13 extra minutes - and we have no reason to think they won't be perfectly enjoyable scenes for those that liked the AUJ theatrical version. Again, measuring the EE on the pure *quantity* of extra minutes seems silly. I will reserve my judgement until I can vouch for the QUALITY of the scenes. I very much enjoyed the EE's of LOTR, so I'm sure there will be some neat extra scenes in AUJ as well.

And as somebody mentioned earlier...what were you expecting? The shift from 2 to 3 films means that yes, the EE of AUJ is going to have relatively fewer scenes, but we are getting a whole other film on top of that. How on Earth do you expect them to satisfy your craving for 30 minutes of bonus stuff when they are already stretching the relatively slim Hobbit book into 3 films already?

Yes, it's disappointing that PJ made some inaccurate statements months ago, but people need to relax. If 13 minutes of *fluff* and *frills* doesn't sound worth the purchase to you then don't buy it.

photo cbccab4e-f61e-4be5-aaa1-20e302430c7c.jpg

malickfan
Gondor

Post #250 of 371 (11240 views)
Shortcut
For me the main selling point of the EE, is the chance of any mention of, allusion to or praising of The Talking Purse in all his awesomenss [In reply to] Can't Post

(Joking...or am I?) Wink

I haven't watched any of the DOS preview or many of the press release junkets so I'm looking forward to it either way, but it does seem like a bit of a scam to pretend 4-5 hours of new footage as the whole 9 hours.

First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.