Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Official Extended Edition packaging images

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Aug 1 2013, 1:45pm

Post #1 of 25 (2380 views)
Shortcut
Official Extended Edition packaging images Can't Post

With all the product images hitting all over the internet of the "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Extended Edition," hitting the interwebs, we checked in with Warner Bros. to see what was official. We were told there are currently three official images for the three official editions. One each for the 3D Blu-ray set, the Blu-ray version and the DVD version. (And hey, how cool would it be to have them on VHS tape to go with the many copies of "Fellowship of the Ring," that were sold to those who hadn't converted to DVD yet? Sorry for the digression). We have them all below and you can click on them for much bigger versions. Anything else floating out there, including the collector's set, aren't yet approved from the studio. That isn't to say they aren't genuine, but so far, they aren't official.

If you click on any of the three images below it takes you to a page of that image only and if you click again, you get a much bigger version — for you folks who love the details. Updates when more details are available.

DVD_Big

3DBluray_Big

Bluray_Big

Glorfindela
Valinor

Aug 1 2013, 9:03pm

Post #2 of 25 (801 views)
Shortcut
I really like the image on the Blue-ray version (the third one down) [In reply to] Can't Post

Which is just as well, because that is the one I will be buying. Smile

Thank you for posting the images.

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Aug 1 2013, 9:06pm)

Dipling
Rivendell

Aug 1 2013, 9:11pm

Post #3 of 25 (760 views)
Shortcut
Blu-ray [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm also buying blu-ray version(gift set).
And i bet the cover picture is just an outer cover.
Underneath will be nice acorn cover (like japan version)

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Aug 1 2013, 9:15pm

Post #4 of 25 (800 views)
Shortcut
All generic unattractive covers for me [In reply to] Can't Post

The first one is just an actual frame from the movie with the lighting amped up and the last one is yet another mashup of characters. Compared to the other mashups for the hobbit, this one isnt so bad, the colour makes it a little softer , but still unimaginative and derivative.

Sad, since the novel is so rich and vivid, it really opens up our imaginations...

This smaller, 2013 american film got a nice painted cover that makes an impression on you:

http://www.dvdsreleasedates.com/covers/kiss-of-the-damned-blu-ray-cover-45.jpg

Pity that with so many tolkien artists and two great one swith the production, we dont have more artistic covers and posters.

Like the acorn cover, more akin to the previous editions.

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

(This post was edited by Lusitano on Aug 1 2013, 9:16pm)

hobbitylass
Bree

Aug 1 2013, 11:08pm

Post #5 of 25 (690 views)
Shortcut
I like the third one the most [In reply to] Can't Post

and it reminds me of some of the posters for RotK.

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 1 2013, 11:13pm

Post #6 of 25 (707 views)
Shortcut
The covers [In reply to] Can't Post

I like them all but if I had my top choice of the LOTR style EE look that would be the one I'd go with. I'm hoping that this will be encased inside any of the ones we see here.

malickfan
Gondor

Aug 1 2013, 11:20pm

Post #7 of 25 (710 views)
Shortcut
Tacky [In reply to] Can't Post

The screenshots Look like the free stills you find in breakfast cereal boxes, and I'm not liking the darkeNing of the images. What was wrong with using a similar design to LOTR?

The Talking Purse is Awesome, deal with it.

But he isn't quite as aweome as Cirdan.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Aug 2 2013, 12:36am

Post #8 of 25 (647 views)
Shortcut
Look like the free stills you find in breakfast cereal boxes [In reply to] Can't Post

LaughLaugh

They do! Nice catch.

kbdiggity
Rivendell

Aug 2 2013, 12:40am

Post #9 of 25 (650 views)
Shortcut
.. [In reply to] Can't Post

So am I correct in assuming this version appears to be the BACK cover

In Reply To

DVD_Big

of the DVD set we see pictured in the top left of this picture?

DVD_Big

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Aug 2 2013, 12:47am

Post #10 of 25 (627 views)
Shortcut
Hope so. [In reply to] Can't Post

It sure looks pretty.

(For some reason, I really appreciate the fact that dodgy Nori is giving older brother Dori a hand up in the picture they chose for the cover/ back cover.)

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Aug 2 2013, 1:06am

Post #11 of 25 (632 views)
Shortcut
Of the three [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the third one (front cover I'm assuming) the best. If I buy it that's the one I would get.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Aug 2 2013, 1:30am

Post #12 of 25 (622 views)
Shortcut
Are these going to be [In reply to] Can't Post

in bigger boxes with statues or is that the whole package?

Old Toby
Gondor

Aug 2 2013, 5:00am

Post #13 of 25 (577 views)
Shortcut
Luckily the version I intend to get - the BluRay edition - is the one I like best [In reply to] Can't Post

I really wish that they would have made a special package that included Weta-designed book ends! I love the ones I have that were included in LOTR and Narnia special edition DVDs! Remember the Pillars of the Argonath? And the glorious bookends with Gandalf knocking on the door at Bag End on one and Bilbo answering the door on the other? The Narnia bookends I have are Lucy walking into the wardrobe on one and Mr. Tumnus at the lightpost on the other. Of course that was when they were marketed by Sideshow/Weta, so I suppose that has something to do with it.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 2 2013, 5:19am

Post #14 of 25 (600 views)
Shortcut
Gift Set [In reply to] Can't Post

I do love the statue we're getting. Its going to look great in my collection but I was hoping we might get those Dwarven Guards outside of Erebor. They would have been so sweet!

Old Toby
Gondor

Aug 2 2013, 5:49am

Post #15 of 25 (558 views)
Shortcut
The guard of Erebor! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow!! I was trying to think of the ideal bookend set with AUJ, and you nailed it! The two statues guarding the door to Erebor would have been PERFECT!

Sigh.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 2 2013, 5:56am

Post #16 of 25 (533 views)
Shortcut
They would have been sweet [In reply to] Can't Post

They were my top choice for the EE item. They would have meshed so well with the Argonath set. I'm hoping we might see them done as a full environment from Weta for their Hobbit line of statues.

droidsocket
Rivendell

Aug 2 2013, 6:10am

Post #17 of 25 (529 views)
Shortcut
Well.... [In reply to] Can't Post

There is still two more movies. I think this idea would be great for Film three.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Aug 2 2013, 6:53am

Post #18 of 25 (521 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Erebor theme for film 3 would be cool... [In reply to] Can't Post

Somehow I picture a Mirkwood theme for DoS - can just imagine the collector's edition box with spider webs across the cellophane windows! A DG environment would be neat, too! Cool

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Aug 2 2013, 1:30pm

Post #19 of 25 (406 views)
Shortcut
Awesome OT [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe we will get those with TABA. That would be sweet.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Old Toby
Gondor

Aug 2 2013, 3:24pm

Post #20 of 25 (367 views)
Shortcut
oh yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

The two statues that guard Erebor for the first film, and and I'd love to see bookends for the DOS with Bilbo on one and Smaug on the other!

Now, what to have on that third set? Something Bot5A related (although I wouldn't care to have Azog or the goblins in there. Maybe Fili and Kili on one side and Beorn and Thorin on the other)?

Just fantasizing about merchandise I'd like to have! Just as well they didn't come out with this stuff. I'm imagination-rich and pocket-poor!

(This post was edited by Old Toby on Aug 2 2013, 3:28pm)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Aug 2 2013, 3:33pm

Post #21 of 25 (349 views)
Shortcut
I hear you [In reply to] Can't Post

I bought every single piece (just about) of the sideshow collectible/weta stuff with LOTR. I have two Witch King statues, Gandalf on Shadowfax, Shelob, Gandalf the Grey, Samwise Gamgee, Frodo, Fel Beast, the Argonath bookends, Gollum, Minas MOrgul and minas tirith among others. I spent a ton of cash.

I'm not doing it this time around as I just don't have the income with a kid yet in college and nearing retirement. Trying to save those pennies! But it would sure be nice to have them one day wouldn't it?

I love my LOTR stuff. Wish I had it all!

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 2 2013, 6:29pm

Post #22 of 25 (297 views)
Shortcut
Cool [In reply to] Can't Post

I like that idea. Some kind of Smaug/Bilbo bookends would be awesome. I don't know if they would since Bilbo is a part of this. So they might go splitting Smaug in half for bookends.

Has to be something Bot5A. That makes the most sense to me. Could include Beorn and Bolg maybe?

I hear that. I do it all the time. Cool

Marionette
Rohan

Aug 2 2013, 8:34pm

Post #23 of 25 (272 views)
Shortcut
I hope they have spanish subtitles :( [In reply to] Can't Post

just like LOTR EE DVDs!!!!

I will have to buy the one with subtitles in spanish... Hope it has the third one cover

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes. So sad it ends, as it began"
Queen

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Aug 2 2013, 9:00pm

Post #24 of 25 (274 views)
Shortcut
I hope you do [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo speaking in castellano gives me nightmares where i see gandalf dancing the tango in bag end in front of a cheering crowd of dwarves shouting Ol!!

And i cant help but imagine Banderas as Bilbo BagginsUnimpressed

(This post was edited by Lusitano on Aug 2 2013, 9:01pm)

Marionette
Rohan

Aug 4 2013, 7:01pm

Post #25 of 25 (128 views)
Shortcut
No spanish subtitles it seems, then... [In reply to] Can't Post

what do I do?

There will not be EE with subtitles????

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes. So sad it ends, as it began"
Queen

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.