Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The SLIGHTLY Extended Edition
First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Aug 1 2013, 1:26pm

Post #201 of 371 (11141 views)
Shortcut
Here is the problem with that. While it bears some truth, the flip side is, it doesn't much support the need for extended versions at all. [In reply to] Can't Post

13 minutes could have been put into the Hobbit film as it was. It still would have been just shy of three hours. Not enough to make a difference in how long it was perceived to be by the average viewer. Shave a minute off of the pointless rabbit chase, and about five minutes out of Goblin Town (a scene that started off magnificently with the near excellent portrayl of the arrival of Gandalf, but that spent more time than was warranted with repetitive violent slapstick, it could have lost five minutes and still gotten across the fighting talent of the dwarves) and viola.

In this light, it has the feel of good content that was cut out just for the purpose of making an EE edition, rather than because there was no way to fit it in to the theatrical version without making the film noticeably too long. No one goes into a film of this sort without expecting to be there for close to three hours.

In Reply To

In Reply To
Is this right:

- 13 minutes extra footage (LotR movies were 30, 42, and 50).

The plan was 2 Hobbit films.

They are instead giving us 3 Hobbit films.

That is why you aren't getting 30-50 minutes of extra footage in this Extended Edition. A lot of that extra footage was used to stretch this story into 3 films.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Aug 1 2013, 1:32pm

Post #202 of 371 (11113 views)
Shortcut
Appreciated! [In reply to] Can't Post

I always appreciate it when people take the time to back up assertions of fact with evidence (although in this case I didn't "need" it because I was also clear about what Jackson had said about the length).

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Aug 1 2013, 1:40pm

Post #203 of 371 (11112 views)
Shortcut
I'm getting the DVD set, anyway [In reply to] Can't Post

- so I'm in agreement with the comment below.

Looks great to me. I'm pretty excited to sit that Hobbit DVD set next to my LoTR ones.

I am a little disappointed with the 13 minutes, but perhaps 'even' PJ thought that adding more may have been too much. (These 'bloat' remarks may have been getting to him).

On the other hand, he may have decided that some of the 'extra' material may be better suited for the other two films.

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 1 2013, 1:59pm

Post #204 of 371 (11114 views)
Shortcut
And... [In reply to] Can't Post

The... the other important joke, for me, is one that's usually attributed to Groucho Marx; but, I think it appears originally in Freud's "Wit and Its Relation to the Unconscious," and it goes like this - I'm paraphrasing - um, "I would never want to post to any message board that would have someone like me for a member."

Wink

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 1 2013, 2:01pm

Post #205 of 371 (11089 views)
Shortcut
I'm thinking Gollum.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...though the scenes between Eowyn and him as Grima would be hilarious.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Aug 1 2013, 2:04pm

Post #206 of 371 (11088 views)
Shortcut
I do think this is probably true [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that some of the extra material may end up in film 2 EE or TE. When the film was split in 3 it had to be edited as such and who knows what content had to be taken out or reworked. I'm okay with the 13 minutes. What I'm not okay with is WB's hamhanded marketing, lack of design in the packaging and the lack of cast commentary. WB has not marketed at all like New Line did. They have really not involved the fandom the way New Line did. It is what it is and I can't change that. I just have to decide whether or not to fork over money for something that doesn't contain what I want it to. It's the same with purchasing any product really. I am going to wait and see what the folks here say after they get it about what's on it.

9 hours is a lot of stuff i'll grant you. But if it's 9 hours of stuff that really makes no difference to me then I won't buy it.

I'm just taking a wait and see attitude. For the record I love AUJ and I love PJ's vision. I have no issues with any of that. But if I am going to spend money on something it should be something I want. I'm frugal that way :)

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Welsh hero
Gondor

Aug 1 2013, 2:06pm

Post #207 of 371 (11108 views)
Shortcut
I expected the EE, so didn't go out and buy the films [In reply to] Can't Post

Do I think it's expensive? A little. Seeing I got the EE trilogy for 15 quid. But I waited for this version, and will be getting be it at christmas or before.

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 1 2013, 2:39pm

Post #208 of 371 (11111 views)
Shortcut
It seems Jackson is becoming a more efficient filmmaker. [In reply to] Can't Post

Obviously over the past 10 years Jackson has gotten a lot better at storyboarding so now he hardly has any wasted film. Filmmakers such as John Ford, Alfred Hitchcock, and Guillermo del Toro were/are masters of storyboarding. Efficient storyboarding saves oodles of money and makes a director very popular with studios. Of course, the main reason directors absolutely love tight storyboarding is so they can "edit in the camera". That way there's very little, if any, leftover film. As a result it's really, really, really hard for a studio to re-edit your film after they get their grubby little hands on it.

Nice to see Jackson evolving as a filmmaker!

bborchar
Rohan

Aug 1 2013, 3:32pm

Post #209 of 371 (11053 views)
Shortcut
I completely agree with this... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just like when a new Doctor is announced, or James Bond...everyone has built up this expectation in their mind of what it "should" be, and are disappointed with the announcement. Then they see it, and wonder why they were ever upset in the first place.

Just go with it :)

The Doctor: ... No! No! Nonononononono, it's... not like that. That's not what I'm like!
Amy: Then what are you like?
The Doctor: I dunno, Gandalf. Like a space Gandalf. Or that little green guy in Star Wars...

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Aug 1 2013, 3:53pm

Post #210 of 371 (11040 views)
Shortcut
la di da , la di da.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Though, there are days, usually in the morning, um, when i feel that, behind my black rimmed glasses lies the coiled sexual power of a jungle cat!

Wink

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

(This post was edited by Lusitano on Aug 1 2013, 3:54pm)

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Aug 1 2013, 4:00pm

Post #211 of 371 (11033 views)
Shortcut
Agreed on Allen as the romantic, desperate neurotic [In reply to] Can't Post

dark spirit of Meduseld, but...

I still ponder, from time to time, on a Mr Baggins played by Ricky Gervais. Physically, hes mroe of a Bilbo than Freeman.

As Oin questions him, at the dinner table, " Are you a burglar?" , Bilbo would reply, by questioning Gandalf :

"you avin a laugh? Is he avin a laaaugh??"

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

(This post was edited by Lusitano on Aug 1 2013, 4:00pm)

Noria
Gondor

Aug 1 2013, 4:04pm

Post #212 of 371 (11046 views)
Shortcut
The TE and the EE [In reply to] Can't Post

I bought the TE of AUJ knowing full well there would be an EE later on and that the TE had few extras beyond the Vlogs, which I enjoyed seeing again. I bought it so I could enjoy watching the movie between March and late 2013, when I figured the EE would be released.

Next November I will happily be forking out for the EE. I’d rather buy that and skip some other potential optional purchases. Not only does it have additional scenes but it has a director/writer commentary and hours of documentaries. Since I rarely listen to any of the other LotR commentaries, I am content. It looks like the EE has what interests me.

Personally I don’t care what the box and cover art look like but I’m sorry for the disappointment of those of you who are into that stuff.

As has been said, no one has to buy either version.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Aug 1 2013, 4:06pm

Post #213 of 371 (11057 views)
Shortcut
the SEE is for everybody [In reply to] Can't Post

, and what the heck is a 'normal fan'? and its nonsense to say everyone would have to pay more, Maybe in a parallel universe paying for one dvd is more than paying for two. But where I live if you pay for two dvds it costs double.

(This post was edited by Altaira on Aug 2 2013, 2:49pm)

Elenorflower
Gondor

Aug 1 2013, 4:11pm

Post #214 of 371 (11016 views)
Shortcut
talking of the Doctor [In reply to] Can't Post

my money is on Joe Gilgun to be the next incarnation. Cool want to place any bets?

bborchar
Rohan

Aug 1 2013, 4:20pm

Post #215 of 371 (11008 views)
Shortcut
Ha ha, no bets here XD [In reply to] Can't Post

Although I would guess that it's not a woman, nor are they already famous. Probably older...although almost everyone is old compared to Matt Smith. I just hope he/she isn't geriatric old.

The Doctor: ... No! No! Nonononononono, it's... not like that. That's not what I'm like!
The Doctor: I dunno, Gandalf. Like a space Gandalf. Or that little green guy in Star Wars...

Elenorflower
Gondor

Aug 1 2013, 4:40pm

Post #216 of 371 (10977 views)
Shortcut
maybe its [In reply to] Can't Post

John Hurt? Wink

bborchar
Rohan

Aug 1 2013, 4:43pm

Post #217 of 371 (10979 views)
Shortcut
I would actually bet money... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that John Hurt is the 9th Doctor, between Paul McGann and Christopher Eccleston. There are so many glaring clues about it that nothing else fits.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Aug 1 2013, 4:52pm

Post #218 of 371 (10987 views)
Shortcut
I didn't say normal fan [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought i made myself clear...

i said normal person.

As for paying more, there are people out there, the vast majority i would say, that just want the theatrical cut and don't care about extras. Forcing them to pay more for the ultra mega edition is not good business practice, many might opt not to buy it.

(This post was edited by Altaira on Aug 2 2013, 2:49pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 1 2013, 4:56pm

Post #219 of 371 (10996 views)
Shortcut
Regardless, there's no such thing as "normal". ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't say normal fan, i said normal person.

Are people being forced in to buying it? You will be able to download the film a couple of days before it's released; and you will be able to stream it (illegally) almost instantly. Plenty of (cheaper/free) options. If I didn't want to spend anymore money ... I know what I would do ...

Smile

The first TORn Amateur Symposium starts this week in the Reading Room! Come and join in!

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Aug 1 2013, 4:59pm)

Elenorflower
Gondor

Aug 1 2013, 5:20pm

Post #220 of 371 (10968 views)
Shortcut
by all accounts [In reply to] Can't Post

they are revealing the next Doctor this Sunday 4th on a live BBC show thing. dont know details, and it may not be true, its a rumour I heard.

(This post was edited by Elenorflower on Aug 1 2013, 5:24pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 1 2013, 5:31pm

Post #221 of 371 (10963 views)
Shortcut
Pfft! Only two different movie editions of AUJ? [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to have both the TE and the EE! I have to have The Hobbit in Latin, French, German, and Hebrew, not to mention History Of and Annotated, and the special children's format edition illustrated by Peter Sis!! I have to spend 75 bucks for the LOTR edition with the 50 some odd illustrations by Alan Lee. I have to pay 110 bucks for the 50th anniversary edition with slip covers, pullout maps, and Tolkien's hand-colored leaves of the Book of Mazarbul! Every Special or Anniversary Edition of The Hobbit and LOTR!! I have to have Poems From The Hobbit with dozens of Tolkien's own illustrations. The Sil, HoMe, CoH, more, MORE! Am I being ripped off by The Tolkien Estate? Don't know, don't care! Gotta catch em all!

And yes, I'm perfectly normal....

Welsh hero
Gondor

Aug 1 2013, 5:32pm

Post #222 of 371 (10963 views)
Shortcut
also on price [In reply to] Can't Post

RRP is usually not the price the the dvd usually goes on sale for

for example, the Doctor Who series 7 box set RRP is 50 quid.

The price on the BBC shop site is 34 quid

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

Buchanicus
Lorien

Aug 1 2013, 5:48pm

Post #223 of 371 (10920 views)
Shortcut
Well darn. [In reply to] Can't Post

Typing at 3 am I must have gotten my count nouns mixed up with my mass nouns.Wink

But I agree with you... these are first world problems, and while I love differing opinions, I tend to get a little frustrated with people quickly pointing out all the negatives (especially at 3 am). I do enjoy a good critique and criticism, but speaking in "absolutes" when discussing opinions has always rubbed me the wrong way.

TORn member formally known as ryan1976.

Imladris18
Lorien

Aug 1 2013, 5:52pm

Post #224 of 371 (10915 views)
Shortcut
Was going to post this [In reply to] Can't Post

And it seems that everyone is ignoring it, lol.

I'm willing to bet (can can even kinda tell if you get a high resolution picture of the set and zoom) that the "Blu-Ray band" on the top of the box is completely removable as well as the graphic on the front for the US edition as well.

Buchanicus
Lorien

Aug 1 2013, 5:58pm

Post #225 of 371 (10934 views)
Shortcut
That's nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

So I wonder if the release will have a "slip cover" and that's the art we've been seeing til now?

In Reply To
Well, if you check out the thread on the giftset announced in Germany you will see that a Collector's edition does look to be coming our way with a statue of 'Riddles'...

TheHutt even posted an image of the set from the Henneth-Annun.ru site:

There's also a Japanese site that shows a DVD set with a cover far more reminiscent of the LotR sets:

TORn member formally known as ryan1976.

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.