Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
It's time for some BS!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 1 2013, 11:18am

Post #1 of 8 (233 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! Can't Post

This is part 2 of a 3-part Book Spoiler as we continue to look at one of Appendix B's Tales from the Third Age… for a moment of Tolkien-zen.
Here the link to Some BS on The Third Age, pt.1

APPENDIX B: THE TALE OF YEARS

(CHRONOLOGY OF THE WESTLANDS)

The Third Age

... "When maybe a thousand years had passed, and the first shadow had fallen on Greenwood the Great, the Istari or Wizards appeared in Middle-earth. It was afterwards said that they came out of the Far West… …messengers sent to contest the power of Sauron, and to unite all those who had the will to resist him; but they were forbidden to match his power with power, or… …to dominate Elves or Men by force and fear.
... They came therefore in the shape of Men, though they were never young and aged only slowly… …they had many powers of mind and hand. They revealed their true names to few, but used such names as were given to them. The two highest of this order (… it is said there were five) were called by the Eldar Curnír, 'the Man of Skill', and Mithrandir, 'the Grey Pilgrim'… …Men in the North Saruman and Gandalf. Curinír journeyed often into the East, but dwelt at last in Isengard. Mithrandir was closest in friendship with the Eldar, and wandered mostly in the West, and never made for himself any lasting abode."

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 2 2013, 9:47am

Post #2 of 8 (70 views)
Shortcut
TIME - August 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

This is part 3 of a 3-part Book Spoiler as we finish looking at one of Appendix B's Tales from the Third Age… for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

APPENDIX B: THE TALE OF YEARS

(CHRONOLOGY OF THE WESTLANDS)

The Third Age

... "Throughout the Third Age the guardianship of the Three Rings was known only to those who possessed them… …at the end it became known that they had been held at first by the three greatest of the Eldar: Gil-galad, Galadriel and Círdan. The ring of Gil-galad was given by him to Elrond; but Círdan surrendered his to Mithrandir… …Círdan saw further and deeper than any other in Middle-earth, and he welcomed Mithrandir at the Grey Havens, knowing whence he came and whither he would return.... 'Take this ring, Master… …for your labours will be heavy; but it will support you in the weariness that you have taken upon yourself. For this is the Ring of Fire, and with it you may rekindle hearts in a world that grows chill… …as for me, my heart is with the Sea, and I will dwell by the grey shores until the last ship sails. I will await you.'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

FantasyFan
Rohan

Aug 2 2013, 12:07pm

Post #3 of 8 (77 views)
Shortcut
I wonder what if [In reply to] Can't Post

Mithrandir was late in coming to Middle-earth, compared to the other Istari. I wonder what would have happened, had Cirdan given his ring to one of the others?

Did Saruman guess that Gandalf had this ring, and was that the seed of his jealousy and the start of his dangerous exploration of ring-craft? If Cirdan had trusted him with the ring, would his downfall have been turned to good? Could his mind of metal and wheels have been softened to compassion and succor? Or would he have used the ring of fire for conquest, commanding dragons and balrogs, and perfecting his blasting powder? Saruman in the beginning was not evil, although he might always have been proud. Who is to say that a gentle ring, showing him how to be compassionate while still powerful, would not have been the tipping point that gentled him?

How would it have changed Radagast? I'm still not sure exactly what his mission during the Third Age was intended to be: I have my own UUT that his major task was to remain behind and contribute to the healing of the land in the Fourth Age. But would a ring of kindling of hearts have enhanced his own to contribute more to the fight against Sauron?

What about the Blue Wizards? They disappeared into the East, presumably unsuccessful. Would a Ring such as this allowed them to foster resistance against Sauron among his allies, the Haradrim, Easterlings and Southrons?

Certainly Cirdan was long-seeing (it's the beard), and the choice he made to trust Mithrandir over the others was a successful one - nobody can argue against the canon outcome. But I think arguments could be made for the other wizards as well.

"That is one thing that Men call 'hope.' Amdir we call it, 'looking up.' But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is 'trust.' It is not defeated by the ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and First Being. If we are indeed the Eruhin, the Children of the One, then He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of His own, not by any enemy, not even by ourselves. This is the last foundation of estel, which we keep even when we contemplate the End. Of all His designs the issue must be for His children's joy."
Finrod, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, HoME X Morgoth's Ring

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 4 2013, 2:30am

Post #4 of 8 (73 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's the first of a 3-part Book Spoiler that looks at part of the story of the Trees or Arda... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Of the Sun and Moon and the Hiding of Valinor: The Silmarillion

... "It is told that after the flight of Melkor the Valar sat long unmoved upon their thrones in the Ring of Doom; but they were not idle... ...For the Valar may work many things with thought rather than with hands, and without voices in silence they may hold council one with another. Thus they held vigil in the night of Valinor, and their thought passed back beyond Eä and forth to the End; yet neither power nor wisdom assuaged their grief... ...knowing of evil in the hour of its being...
... ...when at last the Valar learned that the Noldor had indeed... ...come back into Middle-earth, they arose and began to set forth in deeds those counsels which they had taken in thought for the redress of the evils of Melkor...."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 4 2013, 3:52am

Post #5 of 8 (58 views)
Shortcut
*mods up* [In reply to] Can't Post

I think my head exploded! Great insights! Gandalf must have been one of the last to arrive, at least via the Havens for Cirdan to meet. I wonder if he was surprised by what happened when he saw Gandalf? Was it the same inspiration Gil-galad had when he gave Vilya to Elrond?

I wish I knew what Cirdan thought of Saruman. Wow... I'm going to read through these again. Great Questions!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 4 2013, 2:37pm

Post #6 of 8 (59 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's part 2 of a 3-part Book Spoiler that looks at part of the story of the Trees of Arda... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

... "These Yavanna took; and then the Trees died, and their lifeless stems stand yet in Valinor, a memorial of vanished joy. But the flower and the fruit Yavanna gave to Aulë, and Manwë hallowed them, and Aulë and his people made vessels to hold them and preserve their radiance... ...These vessels the Valar gave to Varda, that they might become lamps of heaven, outshining the ancient stars, being nearer to Arda; and she gave them power to traverse... ...and set them to voyage upon appointed courses above the girdle of the Earth from the West unto the East and to return.
... These things the Valar did, recalling in their twilight the darkness of the lands of Arda; and they resolved now to illumine Middle-earth and with light to hinder the deeds of Melkor.... ...and Manwë knew also that the hour of the coming of Men was drawn nigh... ...Moreover it was not revealed to Manwë where the beginning of Men should be, north, south, or east. Therefore the Valar sent forth light, but made strong the land of their dwelling.... Isil the Sheen the Vanyar of old named the Moon, flower of Telperion in Valinor; and Anar the Fire-golden, fruit of Laurelin, they named the Sun. But the Noldor named them also Rána, the Wayward, and Vása, the Heart of Fire, that awakens and consumes; for the Sun was set as a sign for the awakening of Men and the waning of the Elves, but the Moon cherishes their memory."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 5 2013, 12:16pm

Post #7 of 8 (50 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's part 3 of a 3-part Book Spoiler that looks at part of the story of the Trees of Arda... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

... "The maiden whom the Valar chose from among the Maiar to guide the vessel of the Sun was named Arien, and he that steered the island of the Moon was Tilion. In the days of the Trees Arien had tended the golden flowers in the gardens of Vána, and watered them with the bright dews of Laurelin; but Tilion was a hunter ... ...and he had a silver bow. He was a lover of silver... ...and going into Lórien he lay in dream by the pools of Estë, in Telperion's flickering beams; and he begged to be given the task of tending for ever the last Flower of Silver. Arien the maiden was mightier than he, and she was chosen because she had not feared the heats of Laurelin, and was unhurt by them, being from the beginning a spirit of fire, whom Melkor had not deceived nor drawn to his service. Too bright were the eyes of Arien for even the Eldar to look on, and leaving Valinor she forsook the form and raiment which like the Valar she had worn there, and she was as a naked flame, terrible in the fullness of her splendour."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 6 2013, 2:27pm

Post #8 of 8 (61 views)
Shortcut
It's time for one more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's one more of that 3-part Book Spoiler of the story of the Trees of Arda. It's just too cool to pass up... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

**Isil, the Sheen the Vanyar of old named the Moon, flower of Telperion in Valinor.
**Anar, the Fire-golden, fruit of Laurelin in Valinor, they named the Sun.

... "Isil was first wrought and made ready, and first rose into the realm of the stars, and was the elder of the new lights, as was Telperion of the Trees… …for a while the world had moonlight, and many things stirred and woke that had waited long in the sleep of Yavanna. The servants of Morgoth were filled with amazement, but the Elves of the Outer Lands looked up in delight…

... …Tilion had traversed the heaven seven times, and thus was the furthest east, when the vessel of Arien was made ready. Then Anar arose in glory, and the first dawn of the Sun was like a great fire upon the towers of the Pelóri: the clouds of Middle-earth were kindled… …Then indeed Morgoth was dismayed, and he descended into the uttermost depths of Angband, and withdrew his servants, sending forth great reek and dark cloud to hide his land from the light of the Day-star…
... …Varda purposed that the two vessels should… …ever be aloft, but not together; each should pass from Valinor into the east and return, the one issuing from the west as the other turned from the east. Thus the first of the new days were reckoned after the manner of the Trees, from the mingling of the lights when Arien and Tilion passed in their courses, above the middle of the Earth. But Tilion was wayward and uncertain in speed, and held not to his appointed path… …he sought to come near to Arien, being drawn by her splendour, though the flame of Anar scorched him, and the island of the Moon was darkened.
... Because of the waywardness of Tilion… [and] … because of the prayers of Lórien and Estë, who said that sleep and rest had been banished from the Earth, and the stars were hidden, Varda changed her counsel, and allowed a time wherein the world should still have shadow and half-light. Anar rested therefore a while in Valinor, lying upon the cool bosom of the Outer Sea; and Evening, the time of the descent and resting of the Sun, was the hour of greatest light and joy in Aman."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.