Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The SLIGHTLY Extended Edition
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

hutch
Rohan

Jul 31 2013, 11:41pm

Post #126 of 371 (11582 views)
Shortcut
Just comparing the trilogies. [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't know much about KK cuz I saw it in theaters, disliked it and never again thought about it. my point is you'd think PJ would know how to trim the fat by now, and if not it's because he's taping material that's going to the (longer) cut.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken.

hutch
Rohan

Jul 31 2013, 11:44pm

Post #127 of 371 (11593 views)
Shortcut
Me [In reply to] Can't Post

Since Warner now has distribution rights.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 31 2013, 11:47pm

Post #128 of 371 (11575 views)
Shortcut
even still [In reply to] Can't Post

imagine the promos...entire middle earth saga, never before seen footage...

i think its inevitable...its a cow whose milk sells well, and they will milk her dry Tongue

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

hutch
Rohan

Jul 31 2013, 11:48pm

Post #129 of 371 (11577 views)
Shortcut
Aww, crud [In reply to] Can't Post

You just made me realize that with a 20 minute expansion I was hoping they would change the music to that of which Howard Shore actually recorded for the film, but with this shortening of the EEs I suspect there won't be any music cue changes. shucks! Unsure

hutch
Rohan

Jul 31 2013, 11:50pm

Post #130 of 371 (11579 views)
Shortcut
Point being [In reply to] Can't Post

We could've saved money by just having 2 films of EEs that have approx the same run time of 3 films with slight extensions. That is to say we could've been seeing the conclusion this Dec.

Soundchaser
The Shire

Aug 1 2013, 12:04am

Post #131 of 371 (11582 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like a good deal to me. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To
we are being suckered into parting with cash to pay for 2 versions, one of them being a ridiculous 13 minutes longer. its more than disappointing its criminal.

Speak for yourself.

I only bought one version of LoTR, the extended editions. I'll only be buying one version of The Hobbit.

If anyone buys two versions and feels like a sucker about it, then that person should be angry at himself.

Same here. I didn't buy the TE, knowing there would be an EE coming out. And I will relish every one of the 13 minutes of new stuff, and I will immerse myself in total delight as I take in all 9 hours of extras. And I will be happy happy happy.

I'm chasing sound. Has anyone seen any?

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Aug 1 2013, 12:12am

Post #132 of 371 (11535 views)
Shortcut
that was my hope as well [In reply to] Can't Post

it doesnt appear to be the case...

Maybe that lovely bilbo theme will appear in the market scene? Hum, somehow doubt it if is just a get a fish and escape from the bearded weirdo sort of scene...

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

(This post was edited by Lusitano on Aug 1 2013, 12:13am)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Aug 1 2013, 12:15am

Post #133 of 371 (11558 views)
Shortcut
for me [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not torqued at all as much by the 13 minutes. I get the fact that it's now 3 films and some of the extra stuff will now be divided into the others. I have supported it being 3 films from the get go and I thoroughly enjoyed AUJ. Im more disappointed in the lack of cast and other commentary tracks and also the rehashing of music (no Howard Shore on this one) etc. It's the extra's. One can say there are 9 hours but what are those 9 hours? Are they simply the rehashing of the stuff in vblogs etc? I'm not so interested in that. And the cover art to me is disappointing as is the overall packaging.

That having been said on this one I will reserve judgment on buying until I see some TORNsibs who have purchased it and get their opinions. Approaching Christmas time (and we have 3 birthdays in the family in November) I need to allot my funds accordingly so I'll wait and see. That having been said, I so look forward to DoS. I loved AUJ and I expect to love DoS even more.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

LordGawain
Rivendell

Aug 1 2013, 12:18am

Post #134 of 371 (11543 views)
Shortcut
No it's not. [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be if they hadn't told us. But they told us an extended edition was coming BEFORE releasing the theatrical edition. They did not trick you into buying something you'd later regret, but told you all the options beforehand. Most Hollywood studios wouldn't do that, actually. They'd announce the extended edition 2 months after the theatrical release.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Aug 1 2013, 1:04am

Post #135 of 371 (11550 views)
Shortcut
Too Much Faith: Opposite Extremes? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is there any criticism you wouldn't defend?

I think the lack of faith in WB is telling.

(This post was edited by Altaira on Aug 2 2013, 2:42pm)

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Aug 1 2013, 2:17am

Post #136 of 371 (11489 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, what happened to the half-hour(ish) addition in the extended edition? [In reply to] Can't Post

Was really hoping that we'd be a greater expanded-upon (and improved) film, especially where character development (IE most of the dwarves) was concerned.

And ONE commentary track? Really?

As with everything else associated with this new trilogy, I remain underwhelmed. Ah, for the good 'ole days of LotR-level quality. Smile

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

jtarkey
Rohan

Aug 1 2013, 2:25am

Post #137 of 371 (11507 views)
Shortcut
Exaclty. I'm going to take this opportunity to be blunt... [In reply to] Can't Post

Is anyone seriously IMPRESSED with the details of the EE?

I understand that PJ is probably a good guy, and studios aren't monsters. However, if the public so readily accepts a sub-par product, how can we expect anything of real value in the future?

The fact is, we are the consumers. We are the ones dishing out the cash for this stuff, and making these studios rich.

Why should I pay full price for a table with a wobbly leg?

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Aug 1 2013, 2:25am

Post #138 of 371 (11510 views)
Shortcut
So am I the only one pretty satisfied with this? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thirteen minutes is a generous addition to an already lengthy film, and we have yet to see just what the nine hours of special features includes. One commentary track is a little disappointing, I'll grant that, but if it's a good commentary, then I think I'll be satisfied.

bborchar
Rohan

Aug 1 2013, 2:26am

Post #139 of 371 (11518 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, I don't see the problem... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit already had just about everything possible in it...it was pretty close to a (good) director's cut as it was. I'll buy it and I'll be happy with my purchase.

The Doctor: ... No! No! Nonononononono, it's... not like that. That's not what I'm like!
Amy: Then what are you like?
The Doctor: I dunno, Gandalf. Like a space Gandalf. Or that little green guy in Star Wars...

cats16
Half-elven

Aug 1 2013, 2:31am

Post #140 of 371 (11477 views)
Shortcut
As will I. [In reply to] Can't Post

No shame involved in buying what I believe to be something of value to me. Smile

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Aug 1 2013, 2:31am

Post #141 of 371 (11487 views)
Shortcut
No, I'm in complete agreement. [In reply to] Can't Post

The only part that's a letdown for me is the lack of extra commentary tracks. But the rest of the supplemental material seems to be perfectly in keeping with the high quality LotR extended edition material.

As for the 13 minutes, I think it's enough for a film that was already quite long and covering the first six chapters of a short book. It's amazing that so many are complaining about a lack of extended footage when all I heard, when the movie came out, was how unnecessarily long the film was. Crazy

If we get 12 more minutes on par with the clip we saw today, it's going to be a fantastic new cut - and the rest of the package looks utterly sublime.

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

jtarkey
Rohan

Aug 1 2013, 2:43am

Post #142 of 371 (11450 views)
Shortcut
It's not the amount of footage that gets to me [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the lack of commentaries, the less than stellar packaging, and the fact that half of the extras are things we've already seen. I think there are a lot of things in the theatrical cut that deserve to be on the cutting room floor.

I really enjoyed the scene with Bilbo and Elrond. It wasn't anything spectacular, but it offers character development that the theatrical cut was lacking immensely.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Aug 1 2013, 2:47am

Post #143 of 371 (11448 views)
Shortcut
Is there a comprehensive rundown of what the extras include? [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Aug 1 2013, 2:47am

Post #144 of 371 (11452 views)
Shortcut
What extras have we already seen? [In reply to] Can't Post

The appendices will be all new material. So I don't know what you're referring to. I expect it to be on par with the stuff we saw on the LotR EEs.

Though, as I said, I agree about the commentaries. It's the only bit that upsets me.

As for the packaging, I think it looks nice. No, it's not as good as the LotR editions, but it's all just window dressing anyway, isn't it?

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Aug 1 2013, 2:49am)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Aug 1 2013, 2:49am

Post #145 of 371 (11460 views)
Shortcut
Here you go... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know how anybody could be upset at this (except maybe for the lone commentary track).
  • The Filmmakers' Commentary - Director/writer/producer Peter Jackson and writer/co-producer Philippa Boyens provide their perspective and stories on creating the first film.

• New Zealand: Home of Middle-Earth - From Matamata to Queenstown, travel with Peter Jackson and his team across the stunning locations of New Zealand, transformed by the filmmakers into Middle-Earth.

• The Appendices Part 7: A Long-Expected Journey - A 14-part chronological history of the filming of An Unexpected Journey, covering pre-production in the various departments of the film in the months leading up to the start of principal photography, the boot camp training for the main cast, and the work done on set chronologically through the three shooting blocks and in the world of its digital effects. Chapters include:

• The Journey Back to Middle-Earth
    • Riddles in the Dark: Gollum's Cave
    • An Unexpected Party: Bag End
    • Roast Mutton: Trollshaws Forest
    • Bastion of the Greenwood: Rhosgobel
    • A Short Rest: Rivendell and London
    • Over Hill: The Misty Mountains
    • Under Hill: Goblin Town
    • Out of the Frying Pan: The Forest Ledge
    • Return to Hobbiton: The Shire
    • The Epic of Scene 88: Strath Taieri
    • The Battle of Moria: Azanulbizar
    • Edge of the Wilderland: Pick-ups and the Carrock
    • Home Is Behind, the World Is Ahead

• The Appendices Part 8: Return to Middle-Earth - Another selection of documentaries and featurettes await, further detailing the development, design and production of An Unexpected Journey:

• The Company of Thorin - Explores the characters and backgrounds of the five families of dwarves and the company of actors chosen to play Thorin's company on the Quest of the Lonely Mountain. Chapters include:

• Assembling the Dwarves
      • Thorin, Fili & Kili
      • Balin & Dwalin
      • Oin & Gloin
      • Dori, Nori & Ori
      • Bifur, Bofur & Bombur

• Mr. Baggins: The 14th Member - A revealing look at the film's charismatic and talented lead actor, Martin Freeman.

• Durin's Folk: Creating the Dwarves - Reveals the journey and process of designing, conceptualizing and physically realizing the dwarves in The Hobbit.

• The Peoples and Denizens of Middle-Earth - Focuses on the realization of new characters and creatures encountered in the first film, from casting to characterization to physical and digital design. Chapters include:

• The Stone Trolls
      • Radagast the Brown
      • Goblins
      • Azog the Defiler

• Realms of the Third Age: From Bag End to Goblin Town - Follows the creation of the Middle-Earth locations from conceptual design to set and prop building to fully digital realities. Realms explored include:

• Hobbiton
      • Rhosgobel
      • The Misty Mountains
      • Goblin Town

• The Songs of The Hobbit - A look at the realization of Tolkien's songs in An Unexpected Journey.

- T.E. Lawrence

angelclaw
Bree

Aug 1 2013, 3:02am

Post #146 of 371 (11433 views)
Shortcut
My sentiments exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

The scene with Bilbo and Elrond gives me a tiny sliver of hope. If it's all character development stuff (especially Bilbo) thirteen minutes is plenty. However if it's fart jokes and extended action scenes I'll have to pass.

It also kind of sounds like a lot of the bonus material is going to be duplicated from the vlogs and various promos - I hope that's not the case, but most of it sounds all too familiar. I fear it will be much of the same material, just edited differently. No cast commentary also disturbs me.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Aug 1 2013, 3:06am

Post #147 of 371 (11447 views)
Shortcut
They did a great job at not... [In reply to] Can't Post

showing us anything at all, really, with the production vlogs - while still making them entertaining. How can you think that's all we'll see in the appendices? These will be in-depth documentaries showing us things that we weren't previously allowed to see.

- T.E. Lawrence

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Aug 1 2013, 3:14am

Post #148 of 371 (11467 views)
Shortcut
The Running Time Defense [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The only part that's a letdown for me is the lack of extra commentary tracks...

As for the 13 minutes, I think it's enough for a film that was already quite long and covering the first six chapters of a short book. It's amazing that so many are complaining about a lack of extended footage when all I heard, when the movie came out, was how unnecessarily long the film was.

Just 13 minutes of extra footage and a single commentary track is quite enough to justify my original intention, after the still-unresolved Fellowship of the Ring EE debacle of The Green Tint, to wait for the full Middle-earth Extended Edition set of both trilogies after The Hobbit trilogy completes its run. I'll not waste my money now on anything less.

That might be different if there were figurines included like in the LOTR EE sets. I might buy it with that extra value. But I believe folks who are disappointed will chalk this up to a WB who just doesn't care about or understand their fans as much as New Line did.

Now, as for the running time defense of mediocrity:

Upon looking at various running times for all the LOTR and The Hobbit EEs, I see LOTR was 200, 214, and 240 minutes respectively. The Hobbit EE is 184 minutes. The point that The Hobbit AUJ was already long enough to accommodate only 13 minutes extra instead of 25, which would total 196, less than any of the LOTR films, is too weak to be credible. The abrupt change from the 25-minute expectation sourced by Jackson himself is, I think, why WB is in the spotlight again for a treatment that is inferior to New Line's LOTR efforts. I got the collectible figurines in all my LOTR EE boxes. I hope there will be such a thing offered for The Hobbit films, but I, and apparently others, have a lack of faith in WB to deliver what fans want.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Aug 1 2013, 3:17am)

angelclaw
Bree

Aug 1 2013, 3:39am

Post #149 of 371 (11401 views)
Shortcut
I hope you're right [In reply to] Can't Post

But I still fear a lot of re-hash. I'm trying to reserve judgment for when it comes out, but I'm also trying not to get my hopes up Unsure

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Aug 1 2013, 3:40am

Post #150 of 371 (11415 views)
Shortcut
Defense of mediocrity? [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay...

- T.E. Lawrence

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.